Is EMP a legit threat against the US?

If EMP fries all circuits, there will be no electricity to process sewage or pump fresh water. There will be no working tractors. There will be no working fishing boats.

R-right?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=NCL_9lfvFuU
youtube.com/watch?v=RdCaV3ELvsM
docs.house.gov/meetings/HM/HM09/20171012/106467/HHRG-115-HM09-Wstate-PryP-20171012.pdf
youtube.com/watch?v=owHvIdGMecs
reuters.com/article/us-health-antidepressants-crime/study-finds-young-people-on-antidepressants-more-prone-to-violence-idUSKCN0RF2BB20150915
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Can't you just fix it by resetting stuff? It's the terrorist version of "Have you tried turning it off and on?"
Also
>An EMP that fries an entire continent

No, it fries all circuits. Even ones in boxes at the stores, whatehouses, and factories. The US military probably has a cache in a Faraday cage somewhere but it's for important military assets only.

Think of an EMP like a camera flash. Electronics out in the open will be fried, but those covered in the shadow (Behind buildings, thick enough cover etc..) will be protected from it. The lights will not completely go out. Electric power will be rationed until everything is repaired.

The only country that would attack the US right now is Israel.

They also did Las Vegas.

>Computer micro-transistors arc and burnout with a sudden, huge amount of electric discharge.
>resetting
No user, thats not how it works

Fuck off North Korea

>people think EMP works like in the movies
Ya'll need to be culled

Depends on how fast we get everything back online

how do we know EMPs still work? the last time they were tested were with vaccum tube bullishit. maybe they don't work anymore. or our more powerful microprocessors make it impossible to overload

An EMP attack would detonate at high altitude, only a seriously heavy duty concrete ceiling would block it.

Take a look at any substation anywhere in the world. Huge transformers open to the sky. Those same transformers cannot be replaced off the shelf, they will need to be manufactured from scratch. If an EMP hits any country its fucking game over. Without power everything is 100% fucked.

No transport for food
No pumps for water
No pumps for sewerage
No communications
No lights
No electric based heating/cooling

Sure the government has some hardened systems and probably some emergency equipment but its a drop in the ocean in the grand scheme of a large scale EMP attack.

It really is a full on dark age reset button.

Thanks for the quick rundown, Satan.

>ID says gAY
NIGGERS

Satanic trips of truth

SHIELD Act

EMP/CME

witnessed

high altitude also weakens the EMPs magnitude. (Unless someone is squirreling away a massive Atomic weapon that would require a Saturn 5 to launch)
A saturation of multiple high altitude bursts would be needed to wipe out most electronics.

Modern technology is actually more vulnerable to an EMP, vaccuum tubes are quite resistant to EMP. A more powerful processor with smaller components is vastly more vulnerable to induced currents burning it out.

>everyone thinks EMP's work like they do in CAWADOOTY

No
Stop Believing everything that is constantly regurgitated to you. You people are the reason we have TSA looking at our assholes when we take a flight now. The only thing you have to worry about is someone on the inside taking down our grid

One emp would not cover whole US and we would shoot it down. Also nukes have emp effect why wouldnt they just nuke jus

youtube.com/watch?v=NCL_9lfvFuU

>Somehow 1 EMP is going to knock out all power in the United states.

sure thing Jerome

Pretty much. You'll also be extra fucked if you need certain medications or electronic implants to live.

Also it is worth noting that all wildlife near cities will disappear pretty fast for obvious reasons.

A lot of you guys need to get off the forchins and go fucking learn something. This is a complete non-issue.

Grab a rake, some veggie seeds, compost, and start planting some tomatoes.

Yeah you could do some gay ass shit like that, or you could bulk up nigga. In the new de-electrified America there will be no food and only the fattest will survive the first months of the great famine.

We would die of boredom

No working tractors? Nigger are you retarded?
I have a tractor that starts with a crank, faggot.

Any tractor that starts with a crank will be for a small or medium farm. You'll keep your family fed and probably some of your local community. Great. All the large industrial farms have much larger units with some electronic parts. There will be massive food shortages.

Major cities would turn into war zones because of feral niggers and kids would be crying on the fetal position because their phones stopped working. Pretty much every state with a coastline would decend into chaos but middle America would probably end up better for it.

I'm fucking ready, I think a lot of people in TX know better than to fuck around though.

>Fries everything
>Still mentions Faraday cages
Nigger you're talking like cages are a rare thing, hell your car is a Faraday cage

>worried about EMP
>when the giant ball of fusion in the sky is overdue for another Carrington Event

There's a Bill Whittle vid for that:

youtube.com/watch?v=RdCaV3ELvsM

Concrete Shelters and EMP Protection
Concrete walls do not give EMP protection. If EMP protection is needed, rooms within the concrete bunker can be lined with metal, to form a faraday cage. Penetrations into these rooms will require EMP filters and wave guides, depending on the use and equipment within.

Rooms within concrete shelters can be lined with metal, to form a faraday cage. Theses rooms may also require large EMP filters and wave guides, depending on the equipment within. This can become a very expensive undertaking. Steel shelters make a natural faraday cage and will protect all electrical equipment inside the shelter IF there are no antennas or other electrical wires entering the structure. Every incoming wire potentially offers entrance of the electro magnetic pulse (EMP). All doors must have the proper gasket material, in order to protect against the slot antenna effect.

>le magic continent killing EMP
take it to >>/x/

Redpill me on EMPs. Why isn't life affected while machine circuits are? Also how hard is it to EMP-proof electronics?

People will die and starve because it will take years to rebuild infrastructure on the entire lawless continent. Not me though. I prepared.

May as well just launch a nuclear missile rather than an EMP. An EMP is still subject to the inverse square law so you'd need a world ending amount of power to power the EMP to have any amount of coverage and you'd only be able to fry some electronics considering that buildings and even the computer cases themselves have metal inside shielding them.

Nigger, just end the world with the nuke. Even after the EMP hits everybody will still have all the guns and grenades in the world to fire at you. Hell, since people won't have the distraction of the internet or TV anymore they're going to fight you to the death because they got nothing better to do.

Emp affects long runs of conductor ie power lines. Your car for example, the wires arent long enough. It will still turn on.

just wear a tinfoil hat, its what I do

I'll die; I have a pacemaker.
As for analog tech - it can still cause power surges than wreck the device.

joke's on you nuclear blasts release an emp

No refrigeration.

Beef jerky and canned foods :^)

>ENP Commission is >>/x/

KYS

docs.house.gov/meetings/HM/HM09/20171012/106467/HHRG-115-HM09-Wstate-PryP-20171012.pdf

>emp goes off
>live off jerky, nuts, and water for a few months
>power comes back
>everything returns to normal
>got all that illegal stuff I wanted to do out of my system when the power comes back
When the EMP goes off that's when the race wars begin
Can you feel it, that gut feeling, that tension in the air so thick you could figuratively cut it with a butter knife... that's the signs of a HAPPENING brewing

Yes it's a really big threat that no one in the msm seems to talk about. I do IT work for a retired nuclear research scientist who is so convinced that we will get hit with one he has a safe and always pays me in cash. He even gave me a DVD from Nat Geo about emps. I wish I was making this up. Basically the next thing that we will setup for him is to burn an image of his computer onto Blu Ray media and store it inside of safe that is shielded from an EMP.

I miss that nigga what is he doing now/

He does regular stuff on his own channel.
Trifecta is now Right Angle.
Podcasts and collabs with NRAtv.

>water
No electricity to run the pumps that put water in the towers. No power to run the water treatment plant either. Clean water will be an extreme problem in metropolitan areas.

My understanding is there is a lot of overestimation in the effective range and power of EMPs and that the energy will be dissipated and weak by the time it gets to valuable electronics.

Politically though, an EMP strike would be on the level of nuclear weapons. Anyone that tried it would get completely blown the fuck out, mercilessly. So it is unlikely it would ever be an opening move. Much more likely in the heat of war when all the sides are weak.

I don't know shit though, I just come on Sup Forums and type shit.

Well, if an EMP bomb hit the entirety of the US, every single airplane in the sky will come crashing down to the earth like lite-meteors, causing mass destruction in most major cities. It wouldn't be like nukes or anything but it wouldn't be a fun day either.

nope, the ionosphere magnifies the blast and broadcasts in a much larger radius.

I've read some engineering white papers on it. EMP is a bit of mystery because we have so very few instances of it. Only two come to mind and both are vastly different.
1. A carrington event. A solar flare. Nuclear EMP comes in three pulses. Solar EMP in one. Its considered a E3, a slow long pule of higher amperage, fuses and breakers will help a little. It will heat up rail tracks, fry the grid but generally lacks the strength to fry smaller stuff like cars and generators. Remember emp works like radio and is attracted to wires. Long wires like the power grid is a giant fuck me beacon. Expect a lot of house fires, it caught the telegraph stations on fire when it happened.
Real emp was only ever documented in Hawaii during the star fish prime test. Generators where damaged but they where also grid connected back ups. Punched a hole in the insulation on the generator windings which was cheaper and made of lesser materials back than. Nuclear EMP has three pulses. E1 is so fast nothing can stop it outside of very specific military technology. MS pulse. Second pulse is like lightning. Lightning arrestors will stop it. The final is e3 just like the carrington event. The strength and effect depends on where they set it off. Mountainous places would have some shielding. Not much though because of the high altitude. Anything grid connected will be destroyed. Thats a guarantee. They also did some experiments on cars. 80s cars pretty much remained untouched or had some minor problems like blown fuse or windshield wiper problems. 90% of 90s cars worked, some needed the battery reset or minor electrical issues. The 10% that failed needed a new computer or calibrated to run without (not all 902 cars needed the computer. Older 90s geo metros had the option of all vacuum controlled engines etc) 2000 on is when they started to get fairly messed up. Only 60% of 2005 cars. Metal body was a big thing. It acts like a faraday cage. I would expect 2015 cars to barely work.

If it was a legitimate threat we wouldn't be hearing about it.

You people are fucking stupid.

> the wings suddenly stop producing lift

when did she mean by this

It's very likely they have one or have had the ability lately according to Biden, Levin, Reid and Rockefeller they had at least eight potential nukes in 2005. Not kidding, this was in the latest foia dump of Clinton check the case number listed at the top.

I keep back up radios in a Pelican case that has brass screen all around it. It gives my Faraday box a -73 dBi. In my area, the RF dBi from an EMP would around 100, thus my equipment would receive a 27 dBi burst, well within spec.

Vacuum tubes will still work, a lightning arrestor in the coax will stop EMI from feeding your operational gear and light Faraday shielding around my desk will protect my computer and radios.

Is anything a legit threat against the US?
Yeahhhhhno!!!
THIS IS NOW A PROUD TO BE AN AMERICAN THREAD

This is your friendly reminder that the Norks have TWO satellites currently in orbit. KMS3 and KMS4.

We know NK can detonate a nuke.
We know they can launch a satellite.

Kwangmyongsong-4 is Korean for Bright Star-4

i read some shit where an EMP would set back the country to the iron age. if all electronics get fried it would fuck up the country so hard. they said like 90% of the people would die in the first 3 months.

>hink of an EMP like a camera flash. Electronics out in the open will be fried, but those covered in the shadow (Behind buildings, thick enough cover etc..) will be protected from it

I don't think you've offered a good analogy or explanation.

EMP is not like a big flash going off that wrecks stuff that wasn't behind a building.

high atmospheric nuclear detonations actually bump the earth's magnetic field out of alignment for a period of time.

the magnetic field eventually moves back to its normal position.

when a magnetic field moves through a conductor, there is an induced current.

the size of the induced current is related to how big and strong the magnetic field is, and how fast it is moving.

when a post-EMP field snap-back happens, you have a planet-size magnetic field moving through every unprotected conductor at plant-scale speeds. Building shadows are irrelevant; the magnetic field lines go through the earth.

the only protection from EMP is to provide _sheilding_ against induced currents from moving EM fields. The canonical answer here is "faraday cage", and you can build effective faraday cages in a variety of cheap ways, or you can design equipment so that exposed/critical conductors are EM shielded.

The biggest issue is the power grid. You need to remember that a majority of people live in high population cities and tend to be consumers and not producers. EMP would on a wide scale interrupt commerce, ruin billions of dollars of food from refrigeration shutting down, cause fires, panic and eventually wide spread looting. How long do you think nigs will sit in the hot section 8 apartments with no power before they get bored and start chimping? Actual food storage vs consumption is very low. Even a minor damage to the midwests harvest ability could be mean potential famine. EMP would cause famine. Most likely localized to certain areas like cities with more than a million people. Midwest cities would be fine since they have closer access to the food. Some trucks would still work but it could be weeks before things reorganize. It would be a catalyst to a host of other problems. This country is a powder keg already.

Nigger are you aware of the godlike amount of power and logistics it would take for this to actually destroy a country's worth of electronics?

This is like getting scared of dying by lightning.

you guys are dumb
mechanical vs electric
you should learn the difference
plane engines are almost entirely mechanical and would work fine
as would almost every car
digital stuff in them would be fried but the engines and body would still exist
just like how back up generators could easily burn some gas to keep basic utilities up
it would just be a large power outage with a bunch of broken computers and phones

You can get -80 with a galvanized trash can and some duct work aluminum tape.
I am building an off grid solar system with no grid going to the house. Its in a metal shed with grounding, lightning arrestors and wire mesh around all outside conductors. Also used that foil to close the gaps. Won't be perfect but solar panels are poor conductors for emp to begin with. Mostly worried about my charge controller and inverter. I have a few cheap spares in faraday cages.

.... because they've been used at least twice ....
Known NEMPs and NNEMPs are not going to hurt something much larger than Hawaii.

>Also nukes have emp effect why wouldnt they just nuke jus

A single or a handful of EMP detonations over the US would be the ideal assymetric strike. US is highly vulnerable to EMP and you only need a few of them to knock out everything on the whole continent.

Once you start talking about nukes doing nuke damage near ground level, you need hundreds or thousands of them to actually hit their targets. NK isn't in a position to do that.

NK could probalby do an EMP detonation and actually argue that it wasn't really a nuclear strike. If we have pussies in the US, we wouldn't go with nuclear retaliation.

EMP is the ideal attack scenario for NK against the USA. It completely cripples us and is very low-cost for them to pull off, and if we do the same thing back to them, they don't care because they are 3rd world everywhere except their military development centers.

I don't think the nuke they used near hawaii was very high altitude. High but not as high as a modern ICBM goes.

I'm more worried about a Carrington Event than an EMI/EMP.

yep.

however most of the deaths would be from the us military culling the population in the cities to preserve the farmlands in the counties. scorched earth policy are a bitch. but its what would have to be done in order to save the country.

>a bunch of people who think EMPs work like in CoD
youtube.com/watch?v=owHvIdGMecs
I swear this is where you all got your emp knowledge from

What about the amish?

the russians will create a super emp get

>Electric power will be rationed until everything is repaired.
In the meantime you are going to be dealing with a population of over three hundred million that don't have access to their opiate of the masses phones. Better yet, what percentage of the the population are on SSRIs and other mood altering medications? What happens when those people run out of their medication?

The Purge is going to look like a joke in comparison.

Read a book called "1 second after".

It's all about life after EMP. You will shat your pantaloons

>SSRIs
do you even know what these do? not having them doesn't make you go crazy

If "hyperinflation" causes "total economic collapse" ...
>no effect on biological life
>no effect on resources
>no effect on ability to farm, work, produce

>mechanical vs electric
>you should learn the difference
>plane engines are almost entirely mechanical and would work fine
>as would almost every car
>digital stuff in them would be fried but the engines and body would still exist

Are you this dumb?

All commercial jet airliners in the US have "FADEC" engine control - "Full Authority Digital Engine Control"

An EMP blast grounds absolutely all commercial aviation in the USA. Additionally, because the nature of EMP damage is to physically burn components because of high induced currents in small conductors, every single commericial aircraft will be written off, as every piece of wire or electronic system in the airframe will have to be removed and inspected.

Regarding cars: try starting your car without the engine computer.

The only reasonable approach is to get a very old, all mechanical car, or, to get a relatively simple one, and keep a spare ECU [and electronic sensors for said ECU] in a faraday cage.

How about no? EMP can damage long runs of power line, and possibly sensitive equipment plugged into said power lines. Anything plugged in but turned off will be mostly protected, anything unplugged will be protected unless the pulse is big enough to cause immediate and noticeable health effects in humans. Believe me, you’ll notice it if your vertebrae start arcing across to your spleen.

Not near as bad as nuclear EMP. Wiped grid but most stuff not connected to the grid would work including cars, generators and solar. It would be a better scenario since it would fuck the rest of the world as well, meaning less chance of invasion. Either way, eventual civil war in the US. Unlikely the navy would be affected, maybe short term so they could keep most people out. I say most. Lets not kid ourselves, the moment the US gets week someone is going to take a shot and try to get some land. We have a resource rich nation and MANY countries would love a slice. They might not take it all but say china would sacrifice millions just to get boots on the ground and hold a state.

100% unaffected until the hordes of starving niggers and city trash come looking for food.

reuters.com/article/us-health-antidepressants-crime/study-finds-young-people-on-antidepressants-more-prone-to-violence-idUSKCN0RF2BB20150915

Do you? You are in for a rude awakening otherwise.

Not sure what ssri is but xanax fucking does, turns you into a complete psychopath if you don't VERY carefully cut back on it. I mean a grain a pill at a time. Shits worse than cocaine or meth.
How can you ration what you don't have?
No one will have power. Generators might work.

I do, you don't know what an SSRI is
not an SSRI btw

First thing I would do is get my brother, brother in law and friends and go on a long hunt. Use every illegal nasty trick in the book and bag as much meat as possible and keep hunting. Most deer will be gone by winter.
I remember grandpa telling me about the great depression. He didn't see a deer until the 50s and he lived in rural wv.

>the entire country

Are you retarded or just twelve?

Most of them will. More modern cars will have issues. I would expect any metal body 90s car and older to work 100% or with minor issues. Its been tested.

Emp would only affect older parts of the grid. If you think what an emp you'll realize that the measure to shield against it is simply more cost.

I think loss of data is a problem, but maybe it is backed up fast enough to not matter.

You gonna ruin the shill larp.

good thing i live in the woods and have plenty of ammo to hunt food and a well for water.

Gas refrigerators (absorption) and root cellar as well. You can use a firebox on the generator (part where you heat the ammonia) and make ice with a gas fridge if there is no more NG. Depends on where you live, in my state a lot of properties have free gas from wells. They don't need pumping, thats for grid distribution, they already have high pressure.
You can also build your own (I would use alcohol though) but your likely to be making ice instead of true regulated refrigeration. Something like a crossly icy ball. Those are dangerous though.

Has there ever been a demonstration of EMP besides in Escape from LA?

>Are you retarded or just twelve?

I'm neither. But you apparently don't know how airplanes and the FAA work.

Q: "How do I tell if this airplane suffered any EMP damage?"

If your answer was "damn... let's load it up with people and try flying it!", then you do not have anything to do with commercial aviation in the US.

The thing that will ground commercial airplanes won't be all of them spontaneously catching on fire or something crazy.

Some of them [perhaps just a few] will clearly not be working. But what about the other ones? Nobody will know how to accurately _test_ if the other ones are safe or unsafe to fly without taking them completely apart.

Shhhh, dont spoil it for them.

That post is a lie m8, I have never seen infinitely more articles that say that everything gets fucked unless shielded than everything but that which is unplugged gets fucked
It's not a power surge autist

retards gonna retard

do we know what happened to this guy?

300 million people aren't going to survive off deer. Our ecosystem is not sustainable by natural means.