My doctor keeps pushing and pushing me to get on an SSRI Antidepressant

My doctor keeps pushing and pushing me to get on an SSRI Antidepressant.

I've said no more than once and he keeps explaining how he believes it'll help with my mood and getting a good sleep.

I've had multiple concussions and it's had lasting effects on my brain and mood, but I don't see how pumping my already broken brain full of sedating, serotonin altering drugs is supposed to help.

Is it worth it? I don't want to be a zombie drooling on myself, but at the same time some sleep and feeling somewhat normal again would be nice.

What do, Sup Forums?

Other urls found in this thread:

ensobotanicals.com/how-to-use-kratom-for-sleep-a-step-by-step-guide/
youtube.com/watch?v=NCL_9lfvFuU
huffingtonpost.com/dr-tian-dayton/exercise-the-best-antidep_b_106683.html
ssristories.org
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

If they are pushing the pill and just the pill fuck em find a therapist who uses holistic treatment. A pill alone is not a magic bullet, it can be helpful used with therapy

Don't be afraid to switch and stop taking one. Some get 'brain zaps' on one but not on another.

Just know if you do they can, and was for me, HELL to get off of! Nausea for months from going off Paxil! Try Kratom! It has done wonders for me. Wicked Kratom red strains are the absolute best. Don't do SSRI's user. Go natural.

Thanks for responding, user.

I already see a psychologist/therapist. I like doing that because it's nice to get shit off your chest and it doesn't have any negative lasting effects.

The drugs scare me honestly because I don't want to lose what sharpness I have left in my brain. I don't want to be another zombie whose unaware of things. I don't want to alter my personality.

This all scares the hell out of me honestly.

I've heard of kratom but haven't done my research. What's it do for you and your brain? And is it available in leafland? Can I grow my own? I like to garden and have house plants.

Kratom is legal in leafland! This is a great article. ensobotanicals.com/how-to-use-kratom-for-sleep-a-step-by-step-guide/
Kratom works on opiate receptors without being an opiate. It's great for depression too!

I don't think it's a good idea, user. About twenty years ago my wife took the recommendation of a doctor to use these medicines and I don't think they helped her at all. I did quite a bit of research on them about the same time she was getting this medical advice. I had deep concerns about them. There's a lot more information available about these kinds of drugs available now than there was even available 15-20 years ago. Some of the findings are pretty troubling. It's the opinion of many who are much better versed on this subject than myself that the reasons why people feel they may be needing these medicines won't be resolved with chemicals. It is better that they be resolved through other (pragmatic, spiritual, economic, etc.) actions and choices in your life.

This.

SSRI's fuck you up not only for the time you take them, but for many years to come after. Once the body receives external isolated chemistry it says "fuck it" and stops producing it itself. A good example is dudes balls and test.

OP You need to eat more fresh ripe fruit and vegetables. Its liberating when you learn how good fresh food can be. Also do a few enemas, you'll be surprised how full of shit you really are. Get your lymph moving, do some massaging. GL OP.

Don't do it. It feels like canned happiness, you'll smile for no reason at all but not in a good way. Don't fuck with your neurotransmitters, actually do some introspection, stay with the pain and seek out what's bothering you. Truth is god, go find it.

>What do, Sup Forums?

Get some propranolol and melatonin for sleep. Before any of the classic SSRI candidates, try Bupropion/Wellbutrin. It's "stimulating" for the first 5-7 hours so take it at morning.

Getting blinds and going to sleep in complete darkness (that means no blinking blue led lights) helps falling asleep. Get some valerian drops and take it with the melatonin (yes, valerian actually works as a sleep aid).

And realize that when taking any of these medicines, you could possibly be unresponsive/shit-out-of luck. Hope for the best but realize you're throwing darts into a black box.

Also, do you lift?

People on Sup Forums greatly exagerate the side effects of SSRIs. Although they are over prescribed. If your mood and lack of sleep are ruining your relationships, ability to work, and ability to take care of your health, than you should give them a shot. Start off with a small dose, and TAKE THEM REGULARLY. Most side effects happen from droopping off the chemical cliff by taking it sporadically or irregularly. Once you're through your depression, and are able to get your life back on track, than start lowering your dose a little by a week or more at a time. Ween yourself off over a month or even several months.

>t.PTSD-diagnosed chronically depressed person

dun do it. gave me da brain pops. that couldnt have been good.

just read reddit/antidepressants/ its a hell hole of despair and misery. my docter has tried putting me on them too for anxiety but everything ive read just sounds way to shit to even bother trying

get a second opinion faggot. this is not the place for your medical advice.

Cool, thanks for the info.

How do you take it? Make tea out of it?

SSRI's will make your brain damage worse.

If you absolutely need a quick fix pill to make you feel better, take something called tianeptine. It's not an SSRI.

Change your diet and eat more raw foods, raw meat, unpasteurized milk, unpasteurized fruit and vegetable juices. Get enough vitamin D, youre probably vitamin D deficient in Canada.

You don't need SSRIs OP, in fact you don't need any pills to change your life. The brain is plastic and can change simply by following basic healthy habits. Are you eating fast food constantly? Are you isolating yourself by spending ours on the internet or vidya? Do you get enough sleep? Dehydrated? All it takes to fix your life is getting motivated to progress as a human. You owe it to yourself.

If you don't want to be on the meds, then you gotta do some fairly drastic life changes
Specialized diet, regular exercise routine, plenty of sun, be very aggressive about working through your therapy.
It's not something everyone can make work, but if you do all this and it's not helping enough, then there's not too much else but the drug. But you'll never know until you try

Once you pop you can't stop.

Look into medical marijuana man. People on Sup Forums will meme that it is a terrible drug, but its simply not true. They have limited to no experience, and have never had the opportunity to use it as a medicine which is regulated and quality controlled. Indicas are good for sleep, and is typically why people refer to weed as a drug for "lazy niggers". What you want is a Sativa. Sativa's give you an uplifting feeling, and also give you energy. I've suffered from depression since I was in the military, and it wasn't until I got out that I gave sativas a try. Anti Depression medication will turn you into a profit zombie for big pharma. Don't let them take control of your life, it is your own to live.

Smoke weed u pussy

>mood altered from head trauma
you should try lots of everything, in lots of different doses, until you find something that works for you
do you ever wig out and beat the everliving shit out of your girlfriend?

You live in Canada. There's no reason to believe mental health services (staffed most by female therapists) aren't tainted the same way universities are especially considering your cultural and political climate and mental health being an SJW hot button issue. They'd give you an SSRI for negative thinking patterns just because you're discouraged from having a LTR with the proverbial millennial princess or hating CBC. SSRIs work on people with neck deep in depression and OCD not someone who had a concussion. These idiots are now handing out benzos like candy for long-term treatment of anxiety despite all the high quality prospective studies with sample groups in the thousands showing how it fucks you up both short-term and long-term. Don't pay to be a guinea pig for pharma companies.

never seen those pills do anything but ruin people. It'll turn you into a drug addict. And I don't mean weed, I mean pill seeking psychopath.

1. SSRIs and Antipsychotics only work in the short term, and they word by fucking with the brains natural stress processing.

2. They also cause several permanent irreversible brain disorders like Serotonin Syndrom.

3. Longterm use also causes brain shrinkage.

4. There is no Epistemological/Scientific order to the DSM/ICD or any of Psychiatry at all. The "genes and chemicals" schtick is without any actual long standing data.

MARIJUANA IS LEGAL IN CANADA GO FUCKING SMOKE CLOWN

I'm on Zoloft. AMA

nice political thread you retarded drugfearing autist.
that being said
i think you should at least give it a try.
if it sucks and makes your condition worse you can always just not take it.

It causes long-term, possibly permanent brain damage.
Going on SSRI's is like getting a chemical lobotomy, and you pay out the ass for the privilege.

In 500 years people will be aghast at modern medical practices like drugging children or chopping off genitals and declaring people the opposite sex now.

Diagnosed bipolar and ADD here
It took a couple years, but I found the right mix of meds for sleep, mood, and focus. Would of ghosted myself by now without it. Trust me user, it might be worth a try.

Im on SSRIs for over a year and im trying DESPERATELY to get off it. Suicidal behavior, anger and violent tendencies, and sweating like crazy. Please dont take this I beg you

your doctor is a money blood sucking twat, most antidepressents will keep you up at night because they ware off by the time you get home

How badly has it destroyed your dick

Odds aredoc is getting kick backs for pushing ssri's, DONT FALL FOR IT it will ruin your life.

Same here. Get off of it while you can. Planing my suicide next week.

he needs love in his life that is why hes depressed, he needs a religion, or a gf, or a pet, or a friend

What are you taking it for?

How effective has it been?

How long have you been on it?

Any side-effects?

>SSRI
>getting a good sleep

Pick one. Your doctor will have you on Xanax in a year.

No don't use tested and regulated prescription drugs use unregulated herbal products their testimonials are great. Take this the fuck off of Sup Forums as it's got nothing to do with politics.

I have a script for mmj. Have for over a year, I find it meh honestly. It does help take the edge off anxiety wise but not by much, and i only really use it in the evening when I'm home and don't have any immediate responsibilities.

Magnesium threonate, it crosses the blood brain barrier and improves sleep/brain health.

Exercise, OP. Nature, grind some miles surrounded by visual stimulus. Get to altitude and blast it out.

The worst thing you could ever do is let the pharmajew into your brain.

you know marijuana doesnt cure anything, it just has a long half life into your system so it gets rid of pain and other stuff bc its in your system for a while

>medicine heavily regulated by big pharma has nothing to do with Sup Forums

Let me tell you SSRI is not going to help with sleep that’s bullshit I’m on 40mg per day of Paxil and I need 0.5 Kpin and 10mg ambien every night to sleep. I would recommend skipping the ssri once you’re on it it’s hell to come off and this is coming from a guy who kicked heroin cold turkey 8 years ago. Skip the ssri 1000%

Get valerian root it helps you relax and also help with sleep. Or get sleeping tea in your grocery store knocks you right out

I have a legal license, settle down Muhammad.

It's honestly meh, weed isn't that special and although it helps take the edge off id rather not live my life perpetually stoned.

I only smoke in the evening when I'm home and have no responsibilities.

The doctor is most likely getting a nice check every time he pushes those literal pills of poison onto people.

95% of mental health diagnosis is just bullshit to get you hooked on psychoactives for the rest of your life

I haven't had any of the dick side effects oddly enough
1. Depression
2. Mildly effective. I'm only on 100mg right now, but I'm considering going to 200mg. Definitely makes a difference though, being on it.
3. About 2 years, but I got off it for about 4 months thinking I might not need it anymore, but I was wrong lol
4. I haven't noticed any of the ones your doctor tells you about. Well, I think it makes me tired.

Own a house, have wife who I've been with since high school, have chocolate lab.

>doesn't cure anything
>treats painful symptoms
>has long half-life so you don't have to consume every day
>also you won't kill yourself if you go cold turkey unlike SSRIs

Sounds good to me.

>Kratom works on opiate receptors without being an opiate.

This is playing with words. Opiate is an outdated term that means "found in the opium poppy". Fentanyl isn't an opiate either - but they all are opioids.

Kratom contains non-opoid compounds as well, making it very difficult to overdose on - but you will experience opioid withdrawals after stopping long-term use.

I use Kratom, I'm not shitting on it. But false information doesn't help anyone.

What worked for me best was St. John's Wort. I did it on my own, but I did have a friend pushing me to do it for my own good. It's a legit SSRI but I guess it just feels a little better to buy it at GNC instead of a pharmacy and to handle shit yourself. Just treat it with respect and ween off when you're ready to.

I don't really know how to describe it except that it helped me cope with the boringness of working a shit job day in day out. I was just like, I'm here and this is what I gotta do so I'm doing it.

Far superior to wellbutrin which I'd tried before.
>trying to fix depression
>here, have this pill that makes life even more dull and makes everything taste like shit
Fuck that and most other pharmaceuticals

Don't do it my penis ended up exploding after two months of Zoloft now I have no penis and my head aches non stop all I wanted was a bit of sleep

He didn't state big pharmacy did he nigger he's asking for personal medical advice one of the worst possible place next to hippybullshitpanacea.com Probably a shill or slide of some fucking sort kys.

I smoke about an ounce of weed a week and eat about an ounce of mushrooms a week.
No more pills.

My ex got on this. She legit tried to kill herself legit on the regular. Don't do it

I have brain injury too. I take the lowest mg prescribed and it helps more than hurts. I'm planning on getting off it but take some time. Everything is a trade off

Anti-depressants are garbage.

Don’t do it. You will fuck yourself and there is no turning back. It’s like asking “should I drop tons of LSD?” Sure, go ahead you fucking moron...

These drugs turn you into a zombie. A fake person. You will be highly suggestable, easily controlled, will have muted desires of all kind, muted emotions. You will be dead inside.

There is a proven alternative: facing your issues and working through them via exercises, meditations, reading books, original pain work, inner child work, etc.

But you know what, that shit is hard fucking work (nothing in life is harder), while popping a pill is so very easy.

Aight, OP. I'm gonna lay this on you.

I was on SSRIs for almost a decade. They did shit for me because my anxiety/depression is genetic on both sides of the family. Oh woe is me! Anyway, I was up to the highest regular dose of Zoloft and was not sleeping at night and also vomiting up my first two meals of the day. When I told my docs about this they didn't care, but yours might give a shit about your bad reactions.

Anyway, I stopped going to therapy. I had lost my sense of smell around the time I started taking this high dose and figured it was due to living at home with animals I was allergic to. Ffwd 2 years later - I continue to have no sense of smell or taste and now, after having zero trouble falling asleep in the past, I have insomnia.

No major dietary changes. No major lifestyle changes. I'm pretty sure SSRIs fucked me permanently. Do your research before you take this drug. The jury's still out on if it actually even works to help treat depression as it clearly doesn't work for everyone and can potentially make things worse for people.

on to it...
i was on prozac for ten years before i realized i'd been duped.

I'm calling up a psychiatrist tomorrow and trying to get adderall.

How hard is it to get? I am somewhat aloof and dont pay attention to important things. Really I just want to take it occasionally when I have a lot of shit to do, and play vidya on it.

Brain injuries are fucked to live with, eh?

How else do you cope? I've been trying to keep busy with hobbies... vegetable garden/house plants, cooking and canning/preserving stuff... etc.

Don't do it OP. My dad died when I was 13 and they tried to push it on me but I didn't want them. Finally caved at 19 when shit got bad. Couldn't even cry for years even if I wanted to. Pretty sure it made my dick go limp all the time as well. I'm 30 and have been off them for 3 years and feel fine.

>SSRIs
>not a garbage trial drug pushed by big pharma as an anti-depressant
Really made me think.

i was on a few different ones and my entire experience was negative
i lost motor function, sweat control, and speech faculties among other bad side effects (some of which i still deal with more than a decade after i quit taking them).
maybe they help other people but they more or less zombified and stupified me. it was a long road to recovery for me but i found healthy food and regular exercise helped me stay happy and motivated. i went from being depressed, couch surfing, pill popping, and owning nothing to getting college, wife, career, and kids with a positive outlook .
take that for what it's worth. SSRIs held me back and im better for quitting them.

if you're trusting Sup Forums, a board overflowing with kids still in high school, over a medical professional you're never going to see relief. You're basically acting like an anti-vaxer right now.

If you don't believe your family doctor get a second opinion. If you believe there is some sort of conspiracy to fool you into taking meds you don't need, then you absolutely need meds, perhaps not an SSRI though.

Anons, no memes or shitposting this is 100% truth. my experience with SSRI Effexor (Venlafazine)...

it was a fucking nightmare.

I was depressed, whatever, so I went to a Dr. but I mostly just wanted xanex to chill my anxiety. But I was prescribed the above SSRI instead, no xanax party drug.

It turned me into a zombie. no highs nor lows. I couldn't get a boner and had ZERO sex drive. I gained hella weight. it fucking sucked. But that't not what was crazy, yeah is was terrible, but it also caused 2 of the most crazy side effects I've ever lived through.

1. when i first started taking it, i experienced "Sleep paralysis." Complete with the dark spooky figure standing over me while i couldn't move. it was terrifying. felt like it lasted for 30 minutes. And when it ended i was screaming at the top of my lungs and crying and my roommates ran in and are still convinced i'm crazy or whatever as a result.

2. But this was nothing compared to the withdrawal symptom that I experienced that is like hell on earth. (((They))) still don't even know what to call it or diagnose what it is. It is a mystery to the medical community. Even though it is THE MOST frequent side effect. It's the BRAIN BUZZ. Your brain...literally...buzzes, all the time.

When your eyes move...you feel your brain buzz.

When you blink your eyes... you hear your brain buzz.

When you move or hold still and your blood pumps... you can hear it and it makes your brain buzz. It is hell on earth and it lasts for months. And is complimented by weeks of Flu like symptoms.

Don't fall for the SSRI jew. Try CBT or exercise.

Don't believe me or think I'm larping, just google "Brain Buzz". It is a nightmare. :(

I would opt for an anti-anxiety. I was on Buspar as well as Zoloft and while I didn't feel a thing with the SSRI, Buspar at least took my anxiety away and quelled a bit of the onslaught of dark thoughts.

Don't listen to this faggot.

They are cuck

this guy gets it
fuck i dont miss those days at all

Don't do it. I'm on one and I shouldn't be since I'm bipolar. I'm going to ask to switch to a non-ssri next visit to the doctor. If you don't have to be on drugs in order to function then definitely don't do it. I wish I didn't have to, but I become paranoid, unable to function day to day basics, feel suicidal and sometimes vaguely homicidal, sometimes nearly hallucinating. I still can't hold a job, but I'm hopeful.
Effexor is a big one that gives brain zaps if you try to quit though it's not the same as an SSRI.
Kratom is pretty awesome and sometimes alleviates my depression. The US government is trying to schedule it probably due to its threat to pharmaceuticals. It's a decent, natural drug.
My brain feels like it's going, and I'm not sure if it's my worsening bi-polar, the drugs, or both. Do your best without pharmaceuticals. Research natural anti-depressants if you really need something. There are easily available natural remedies through Amazon and supplement companies that people really seem to respond to.

I'm not taking anyone's advice as cannon on here. I just wanted to hear others' opinions and experiences. I'm already hesitant without having made this thread, sometimes it's just nice to hear what other humans have to say about it, anonymously where I can't be judged by peers, etc.

I'll be talking to more than one of my health professionals about it. Pol is not my dr, don't worry user.

Exactly. The biggest conspiracy concerning health is how little food we need to actually fuel ourselves and the fact the lymphatic system is TRIPLE the size of the blood pathways. We live in masonic medicine lalala land and people always want someone to dump personal responsibility on (aka allopathic doctors).

Healthcare is self-care! In our capitalist economy (or what's left of it lmao) we have a personal responsibility and duty to do what is right for us and our bodies. People must not desired to be coddled constantly from any institution that can come to become corrupt.

>I couldn't get a boner and had ZERO sex drive
Oh my god. I already had an insanely low sex drive (strict religious upbringing) before taking the SSRI. After I started taking it, I never wanted to masturbate or do anything sexual with anyone.

DON'T take xanax either! I was taking that shit for a while and my dumbass decided to go cold turkey when I quit. PURE HELL withdrawal!

Sports.

/problem

> huffingtonpost.com/dr-tian-dayton/exercise-the-best-antidep_b_106683.html

Same except I took it for 2 months. No dick side effects either. No weight gain. I guess we got lucky and most people prescribed these pills aren't that negatively affected to begin with. They ever have you on seroquel?

That's fucking intense user, sorry you went through that. I had a friend on that same drug years ago and i remember he was absolutely miserable on it too.

Hope things are better for you now.

Check them digits

i quit cold turkey also
still deciding whether that was a good choice or bad

>Yes, the same drug that is making people insane.
Take it goy, it will make all of your problems go away.

very similar to what I dealt with getting off of zoloft
6 weeks of absolute hellish withdrawal symptoms: fever, chills, puking, shaking, crying
followed by months of buzzing in my brain....it was like a bee was stuck in my head or a giant fly....I thought I was going crazy until I googled it
stay away from all the psych drugs ((they)) push on you

>took SSRI's for about 5 years as a teenager
I wonder how fucked my brain is as a result
They basically just made me feel numb anyway, not happy. Also it made it impossible to cum.

I have a friend who takes it for back spasms but only when she needs it. That is: Once every two months.

I got it from Urgent Care when I was having chest pain due to unperceived anxiety. I experimented with it since I knew I'd probably never get a chance to take it again. (No one's refilled it since as every doctor I went to was like "THEY GAVE YOU XANAX AT URGENT CARE!!??!?!?")

Do not drink and take Xanax. You think people are joking, but my god. Not even ONE DRINK. God I felt like a body drowning in its own organs.

Google cyp450 testing, some people don't have the enzymes to process drugs so they just wreak havok on their bodies. Lots of drugs prescribed for psychological reasons are related to CYP450 enzyme marker metabolism. Get tested before the Dr puts you on that shit

pro tip: the majority of the school mass shootings were by students taking SSRIs.either taking them or not taking them after being on them causing psychosis.

Oh yeah! Are you talking about the test that determines which medication will work best for you?

I'd be up for it if it weren't for my horrible past experiences.

Ever had two doctors in the same room disagree on your diagnoses, or said you were manic after prescribing you adderall, and told in the end that the brain is still a black box? Ever had one tell you they are powerless outside of handing out pills? Mental health professionals are sought after out of desperation when you consider yourself fucked either way and hope you get lucky. They really are clueless.

>My doctor keeps pushing and pushing me to get on an SSRI Antidepressant.

Because, the pharma reps give your doc massive kickbacks, free vacations, etc. every time they get more people hooked on their shit.

Don't do it. You'd be better off self-medicating with weed than going on that shit if you have to bring your mood up. SSRIs are good for maybe 5% of those who go on them, and are shit for the other 95% who are worse off and have terrible withdrawals afterward.

t. guy with minor OCD,moderate BPD and occasional depression who hasn't touched those shitty drugs in 20 years and is better off for it.

Was prescribed that shit 10years ago. Took them for few days, felt shit all the time. Eventually quit it. Doc said i need to take that garbage for at least few weeks for effect - no thanks. Its a scam this shit is ineffective and fucks you even up more. Bad ROI

>ssristories.org

>t.also PTSD-diagnosed chronically depressed person w/ biopolar and panic disorder
Don't do it OP. Refuse them at all costs! I have such heavy regrets from being on SSRIs for so long. If you stop taking it, or forget to take it suddenly, the side effects can be debilitating. I was stuck on a strict schedule, and it ruled my life. I didn't feel sad anymore, but I couldn't feel happy either. It was like I wasn't even real. Would you rather feel sad, and happy sometimes, or nothing at all? Your emotions are essential in keeping you alive and human, good, bad, happy, or sad.

what the fuck is a brain zap?

Also, OP. Go to a general practitioner and make sure you have good vitamin levels in your blood. Not eating right and/or having a deficiency in vitamin D and magnesium can cause symptoms of depression/anxiety/etc.

Not that I'm trying to be dismissive of your problem, but I started taking magnesium in drink form lately and it's helped me calm down and sleep at night. It could be placebo, tho.

Smoke cannabis sativa dominant strains. Disregard pills. Pills for depression will kill your personality if you are even a little bit autistic.