Do you prefer 90s or new anime aesthetic?

Do you prefer 90s or new anime aesthetic?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=VAflk4baHWE
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

The dust hasn't settled yet - how can I possibly answer this?

From HxH or in general? 90's in both cases.

90s for realistic, but what matters is not so much the style as the creativity of the artist and how they play with it.

However more than I like either I like baiting hxh fans about it.

90's HxH was so much better in literally every sense. The black shading suits the series way more than the happy-go theme they went on 2011.

youtube.com/watch?v=VAflk4baHWE

either way early 2000s anime aesthetic was downright horrible.

Is there a difference between 2000 and 2010?

>2000 and 2010
yes

2010 looks way fucking better. Early 2000s they were struggling to figure out digital colouring. Everything looks like they used the Microsoft paint bucket tool.

Compare Gundam Seed to newer Gundams.

Nippon Animation was great.

I struggle to watch a lot of 2000s anime these days because it looks so bad

most 90s stuff is fine though

Sad part is we'll see another big ass drop in quality when all anime becomes cg and we get a decade of jackasses trying to make it look good.

Yes

But it's a happy shounen that occasionally gets dark, I'd say looking bright and shit fits a lot better, regardless of which looks better out of context

Seeing Hirai's style in Majestic Prince and Fafner is a nostalgic feeling.

I'm sure the negative reaction to Berserk is going to temper that movement.

Honestly, both the 99 and 2011 versions of Hunter X Hunter have their own strengths and weaknesses.

The 99 version followed the manga a bit more closely and didn't bother with censorship, but Greed Island was shortened into a six-episode OVA and the series had a bunch of filler early on.

The 2011 version tries to have a style that unifies all tones of the manga, and they really hit well animation and music-wise like at some points of the Chimera Ant arc, but they completely messed up the whole thing with Kite.

They both are worth watching anyways. Just check a few episodes of both and see which one you like better. It's just personal opinion.

I watched the first episode of the 1999 version and it was the most boring generic trash I'd ever laid eyes on

2011 matches the cartoony style of the manga a lot better, which I like.

90s was the pinnacle of art in anime. I think someday we'll get software that can recreate it or surpass it, but for the foreseeable future we are stuck with what can be churned out by paying actually good animators to only do key frames.

The argument of detail vs simplicity goes deeper than having more to look at though. It's a well-studied concept that the more simplistic a drawing is, the more you relate to and empathize with it. The more detailed something is, the more it seems like a distinct entity. This is because we superimpose our own imagination onto the simple drawings. Simplicity also makes things appear more amusing and light-hearted. Take facial expressions, for example. We often see a highly distorted face used for comedic effect, like where a character's eyes become dots and their mouth moves to the side of their face. Now imagine the same thing happening with a realistic style, the character's eyes shrink to become beady and alien while the mouth shifts somewhere that makes them look unnaturally stretched. One is funny, the other is grotesque. This is one of the prime reasons that older movies and shows that depicted horrifying violence seemed so much more brutal than the same thing being done with the more popular style of this decade. I think that's the main reason people think shows with the crisp digital style look stale.

Scott McCloud's "Understanding Comics" is a good read on the concept, and I think he explains it better than I can (because the book is also a comic book). He focuses on western comics for a good bit, but discusses manga a fair bit (especially when talking about this concept).

>le 90s was the best decade meme

>this bait again
2011 was the superior version no matter how you nostalgiafags sugarcoat the 1999 version it's shit

To be honest, I think it works both ways for HxH. An overall dark tone is appropriate for the universe and a lot of the story, but having it start out bright and get darker at times makes for a nice contrast. I saw 2011 first and it managed to surprise me a lot with the change in atmosphere, that's really enjoyable for the audience. The manga art mostly appears on the dark side so it's not very accurate, but I'm glad I got to experience it that way even if the manga ended up being by far my favorite version.

>well thought-out post with a source
>meme arrow reply
Sasuga, Sup Forums. Never change.

I haven't watched either anime yet, but read the whole manga.

What parts of the anime would you recommend?

I've heard that 2011 removed Kite/Kaito from the first episode. If I were to watch 2011 with my sister, should I tell her to read the first manga chapter before starting the anime?

80s soft poofy > 90s spikes > 2000s flat > 2010s ribbon hair

>they will never make anything worthwhile again

They used to be the Ghibli of anime series.

That's because you watched 2011's non-canon speedrun version first

>nostalgiafags
theres that meme again

>I've heard that 2011 removed Kite/Kaito from the first episode. If I were to watch 2011 with my sister, should I tell her to read the first manga chapter before starting the anime?
Not a bad idea, at least that way she knows who Kaito is when he gets introduced.

early 2000 has a pretty distinct style
in the sense its kinda weird

>le
Kill youself

Like that faggot you're replying to is even Sup Forums.

That's what I'd recommend to people who are likely to be critical of the series, but it's not necessary to understand what's happening. If your sister is a casual and isn't judgmental about anime it probably won't make a difference, at worst it'll make her wonder why Gon cares about Kite so much after such a short period of time.

York Shin arc is so fucking good in the 90's version and there some fillers that are good like when they are trapped in a boat in the Hunter exam

Oh look, it's generic eighties girl, from everything ever.

She only shows up in generic 80s shows though

The 90s are my favourite decade of art styles, and while the 2000s has what I'd probably call the most boring art styles, I think I slightly prefer generic 2000s art styles to generic 2010 art styles, and I'm not one to go "hurr durr the most modern thing is automatically the worst".

It's so boring and generic and everybody points at it like I'm supposed to think it's way more special than the generic art styles of every other decade.

I liked the backgrounds better in the 99 version as well as the soundtrack, but the 11 anime had somewhat better pacing I recall. The filler stuff near the beginning of 99 was kind of good, though, as it was nice seeing more of the side characters doing things rip bee girl. Overall, I'd say both are good and are worth watching even if the other has already been seen. Didn't see the Greed Island OVA since I had heard it looks like terrible due to early digital coloring, so I can't comment on that.