Why do people like this show so much...

Why do people like this show so much? I mean I guess it can be creepy and atmospheric at times but the fact that there's no coherent story really ruins the series for me. I shouldn't have to read a 12-page description to know what's going on.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=4-PkAQcuZOw
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

If you can't understand the plot then watch it again and if you can't get then....watch it again.

People who are too stupid to no understand it have to resort to reading outside material to get it. It isn't fucking rocket science kid.

Lain is not for sexual.

Haven't seen the animation, but the manga was terrible.

You don't seem to understand
youtube.com/watch?v=4-PkAQcuZOw

Watch it again...and again...and again...

Statements like this reinforce my theory that Lain is only enjoyed by people who think they're smarter than everyone else.

Well, for some people it's just a circlejerk to feel intellectual.

I liked the story, but to me it was slow, though I'm sure it speaks to some people a lot more than others.

If you have to read an online description to form your own opinion or ideas about a show, then you are a retarded nigger and should probably kill yourself.

It's a solid theory. Mostly because Lain is easy to understand for anyone who's well read, and a little hard to breach if not. So people who get it easily tend to be condescending to anyone who didn't get it.

How? I got it after two viewing and I found it to be brilliant.

I didn't go and read a 12 page description to get the story because unlike you I have a functioning brain and am able to piece together my thoughts given enough time.

Needing an essay to get an anime just goes to show that your education failed you.

Its meant to be experimental art house and one of those shows you enjoy by watching it over and coming up with your own interpretations

Other great art house anime: Paranoia Agent

ITT: 2deep4u, next time try being smart like me :)

It's mostly for the time it came out, it was way ahead of its time, is like the X Files of anime.

Uhh Paranoia Agent spelled everything out pretty explicitly.

hurr durr, technology can be dehumanizing but can also bring us together

Someone get this creator an award.

I just finished it pretty recently and the last episode explains everything and it's retarded. I still liked it, though.

You really are an idiot.

>y-y-you can't make fun of my favorite show like that!!

>hurr durr, technology can be dehumanizing but can also bring us together

This autist read a 12 page paper to understand the anime and this is what he got out. Honestly when I said your education failed you I really mean it now.

Care to enlighten me to the truth then, fampai?

>I shouldn't have to read a 12-page description to know what's going on.
Then watch one of the hundred anime where this doesn't apply. Leave Lain for people who like to do some outside reading to understand something. Is that hard?

What did I originally say in my first post? I said if you don't get it then keep watching it until you get it. Hell get a notebook and write down everything then look over your notes at the end if it will help. I don't spoonfeed. This isn't English class.

There it is! An "enlightened gentlemen" can't even refute the point, all he can do is assure us that he can.

>HURR DURR I CAN'T FORM MY OWN OPINION SO I SHITPOST ON Sup Forums AND READ ANIME ESSAYS

Fucking kill yourself you swine.

I was being consistent the entire time. You seem to be having a hissy fit that other people can understand the anime without outside material.

Don't have to prove to anybody what I know and I certainly won't be wasting anymore time in this dead thread. Have a nice day kid.

>I shouldn't have to read a 12-page description to know what's going on.

It's not fair to blame that on the show. The only reason you didn't understand what was going on was because you have brain problems.

>SEE I'M RIGHT I ASSURE IT!
Kill yourself, autist.

Who are you quoting? He didn't say you couldn't make fun of the show, he called you an idiot.
Again, who are you quoting? The only autist here is you, honestly.

>Having fun, intellectual conversations about a show and giving opinions on your own interpretation of themes within said show
>spoonfeeding
You're the kind of asshole who judges other peoples opinions, but never has any of his own to give.

This is stupid advice. There's nothing wrong at all with perusing other people's opinions on media, that's the whole point of this fucking website. Explaining what you think the point of Lain is isn't spoonfeeding, it's just sharing an opinion.

>2011+5

AND YOU STILL DON'T SEEM TO UNDERSTAND

>Lainfags
Lain's alright, but holy shit, you're delusional if you think Lain is really that deep and then refuse to actually clarify beyond "2deep4u" bullshit.

It's actually very commonplace to read other people's interpretations of works. This is how I know you've never taken a college-level literature course.

>34 posts
>18 original IPS

Every time I come to visit Sup Forums and see a thread for a series I actually like, it's always two morons arguing, one side using ostensibly difficult art to fuel his narcissism, the other painting anyone who might enjoy something open to interpretation as pseudo-intellectual. Neither side ever really elaborates on why the series in question is good or bad, in logical detail. They just accuse the other of being an idiot.

This is why I don't come to Sup Forums, thanks for reminding me. And OP, 'story' can take many forms, not every piece of media needs heavy exposition or conventional plotting, especially if its goals are atmosphere and tone. Watch a Tarkovsky movie, or something, for a film example. Some people like abstractions, and please don't assume everyone who does is 'pretending,' or at least don't belittle others for what they like until you yourself can write in depth about why Lain is bad and why liking it is wrong.

>This is why I don't come to Sup Forums
>Comes to Sup Forums

Hey faggot stay in your containment board and don't venture in these parts.

Then don't come, no one cares.

I come to this board once in a few years and can't have people even have a discussion with me. Instead I am shunned out by two faggots. From the bottom of my heart, go fuck yourself you idiotic dipshits.

Then fuck off. Clearly you aren't wanted here and clearly you don't want to be here either.

Lain's not for everyone. I think I stopped caring about a quarter of the way through, but finished it anyway, because I wanted to like it

You're perfectly okay contributing to an environment where nothing of worth gets communicated?

You deserve it for being an attention-seeker. Go post your self-important bullshit on one of the 90 threads about cute anime girls if you care about this board so much.

It is faggots like you that make this board almost unreadable. Fuck you and every other idiot who participated in that shitty discussion. I come to this board to see if great shows that I watched in the past are being discussed, only to get asshats turn it into a shitfest. Whatever happened to communication and people going back and forth with their ideas? Fuck this place.

>there's no coherent story

>Not diving in headfirst to cure the cancer yourself.
>Wondering why Sup Forums's shit.

Just stick to meme threads.

>don't like Sup Forums
>comes to Sup Forums anyways
What the fuck did you expect?

>plotfags

The problem with Sup Forums is the amount of newfags false flagging.
When they don't like something they throw a tantrum and start shitposting.

Sup Forums has never been good place for discussion, it's mainly waifu wars and false flagging left and right.
Only at rare times you can find a thread about a not so popular show where people post sincere opinions, but this kind of thread usually dies fast.

Lain was written by a luddite who was uneasy about how the internet might affect behavior in youth, specifically that youth might become detached and unable to sincerely connect with one another. So it's ironic that this thread is nothing but contentious argument.

I came for a fucking discussion thats why. Can a guy just once come to a thread and have people discussing anime without being told to fuck off?

You know what, I am done. From you, this crappy thread and most of all this board. I was right to never post and only lurk but I took the bait because one of my favourite anime was being discussed. Everyone on here can go die in a ditch.

>>don't like Sup Forums
>>comes to Sup Forums anyways
You probably have no idea why anyone in their right mind would do this. It's just a matter of time, but you're going to find out that this is a real thing in the most unpleasant way possible. Even though you can't think of a single redeeming value for this shitty website, you'll keep coming here, day after day.
And you still won't understand why.

Right, right, I get that pretending to be me is totally caustic, and let me commend you that based on the one post I made, you have me nailed, perfect imitation down to a tee. But let me ask you this: can you actually address anything I said?

What a stupid thread.

>Guy shits on lain.
>Other guy acts like a elitest prick by telling him to rewatch it.
OP acts like a autist wanting an explaination
>Other guy says he won't do it and leaves without explaining shit
>Autist respond to guy who never came back
>New autist comes back shitting on Sup Forums
>Has a mental breakdown and then leaves

This is Sup Forums in a nutshell and I love it.

Gas all nerds

Nice blog, kill yourself you cunt

Hey OP can you link the essay? I haven't watch Lain in years and would like to brush up on it before my next rewatch.

Everytime.

You're so close user. So close.

Philosophy and critical thinking is too hard for you.

Philosophy and critical thinking are for nerds and losers

t. American

A shame you seemed an honest man.

I want someone to make an anime about gnosticism now
t. buttblasted loser nerd

Why are people so hostile to reviews and essays here? What's wrong with wanting to refine an opinion by seeing what other people interpreted out of it?

You don't need a 12 page to understand it.
My personal reasons for liking the show revolves around the dense atmosphere built through lighting, shadow, and silence.

Goddamn everyone in this thread is mostly retarded. The show isn't that hard to understand IF you have a fairly good background knowledge about a lot of somewhat random IT trivia and concepts. The trouble with Lain comes from two main problems.

1. The show is set up very experimentally. Like really experimentally. Like so much so that Chiaki J. Konaka had to make the first episode and pitch it to the studio because he and Yoshitoshi ABe weren't entirely sure their idea could be made into a show. And it's fairly obvious there is very little character narrative so the plot of the show has to rely mainly on non visual cues. And even they the plot of the show has very little to do with what the show is actually about. The plot is about a middle school girl trying to make friends and find out how to fit in to society. What the show is about is how Technology connects people (and has always connected people) the dangers of said connection, and what should be done to protect users from those dangers and what if any etiquette should be used when connecting with people over means other than face to face.

2. The show relies on a lot of somewhat obscure (but important) references to different IT concepts. I won't lie I had to look up some myself, like Vannevar Bush and his work on Memex and his general contributions to Hypertext as a concept. That's why a lot of techonphiles like the show (at least I think).

Anyway I don't think it's fair to dismiss people who had to look up concepts or even summaries of the show to help them understand what it was about. But at the same time I don't think anyone should expect to really understand or enjoy the show after just one watch. I recommend watching the show 3 times (that's when I personally started to figure out the show and actually like it) Either way though if you don't like the show it shouldn't be something to hold against someone. and any interpretation of the show is valid according to the creators.

It's called the Matrix.

This, but I really liked the basic philosophical ideas it touches on. The main thread isn't as good as its parts but each episode having a small self contained story worked well with the atmosphere.

I love the atmosphere and how weird it is
It's unique and cool

He isn't giving anything all he wants to do is take.
>Let me insult a show like a child because I can't understand it.
>let me offend everyone who disagrees
Why won't anyone help me?

Because it's old enough to be considered old for millenials

What this people don't understand is that any work of art doesn't exist as a logical puzzle, to be solved in order to feel intelligent.

This show is complex, this show uses visual language as heavily if not more than acutual orality and as a result of that it is ambiguous.

All these stupid fucks saying "I understood lain after the 7th episode, I have an IQ of 105!" are a laugh.

not an anime but Aeon Flux is a cartoon about Gnosticism

I have an IQ of 120 and undrestood Lain on my first watch, and there is nothing you can do about it.

noice pasto

>lainfags claim to be intellectual
>they just shitpost and tell each other to fuck off
Like poetry
fuck off all of you

So you also an Christian? Hardly to believe.

You have to be atheist, agnostic or diest to understand the LAIN

Aeon Flux is great, seconding this.
As opposed to your in-depth essay?

I'm retarded and lazy af so enlighten me my fellow anons. Why the fuck Lain's sister went crazy after seeing herself, and how did she saw that, and also how did she saw Lain in the middle of the street? It's a metaphorical representation of the two worlds being connected or something?

>You have to be atheist, agnostic or diest to understand the LAIN
No, not really.

I could tell you my beliefs, but belief for its own sake is worthless.

Is a fucking anime. Is not that deep.

>Why the fuck Lain's sister went crazy after seeing herself?

I think the knights put a program or hacked (for less of a better word) in her mind and made her sabotage lains computer set up. After they were done with her, her conscious got separated and she went crazy and became a brainless bumbling shell of a person, which is why she was tripping out in the episode.

ideology at its purest

Books is words on a page, is not that deep. Nothing is deep.

>literature course
>to understand FUCKING anime

This is why you are close to your 30s and still unable to find emotional, financial and personal success.

I thought she had suffered from exposition to Lain who was "waking up" into the wired, which I guess might have something to do with the prophecy the rumors talked about.

>Why are people so hostile to reviews and essays here?

Because that is the equivalent of being spoonfed. You did not pay attention, take the time to understand the story and form your own opinion about it.

By reading reviews, you digested someone else's interpretation of the plot and it's themes. Willingly nodding your head in agreement, despite not understanding anything at all and thinking to himself that he has something worthy of saying.

You have nothing to contribute, there was no effort on your end and it shows, you're immature because you despise this show while everyone else enjoys it.

You just have to watch the show again and try harder. Pay attention. It's worth it. Trust me.

I was where you were.

ITT elitist faggots who speed read in high school and insult everyone they think they're smarter than everyone because they don't pay attention to detail
Sage this piece of shit sekret intellectual thread
>t. retard who can't understand simple plot xDDD
Fuck off elitist trash

>Le Slovenian sniffer meme.

Reddit is your place.

Lurk for two years before posting

You know people make anime, right? Like, actual people. With thoughts, emotions, lives of their own, just as complex and unique as yours. Crazy huh, the Chinese cartoons aren't shat out by elfs eating candy or something like that, who'd have thought? Y'know what's crazier? It takes a lot of work. Hundreds of people drawing, painting, writing, voice acting, story boarding, directing, and so on, and all on often too tight schedule for a meager pay. I bet you've done much better than that though, that's why you're shaming people trying to have fun appreciating a show on the internet. It's not because you're prejudiced, angry or entitled.

You can apply most of the style and method of literary discourse to other forms of media fairly easily.

You can consume reviews and essays without being a fucking sheep.

You are literally being intellectually spoonfed since the day you were born. Your opinions are not yours, you formulate them thanks to culture's input. You are not special.

What the actually fuck. How the fuck does that make any sense. Are you trying to go after after intelligence?

>telling someone to lurk more because he doesn't like youre favorite 2deep shit
Simply epic, friend :^)

The quality of posts is very important to this community. Contributors are encouraged to provide high-quality images and informative comments.

Why fucking hang out on an anime board for discussing opinions.