Junji Ito: The Japanese Lovecraft?

What is Sup Forums's opinion on Junji Ito's works?

While not all his stories are that frightening, most of them leave you with this unsettling feeling that feels far worse than just being scared of a ghost for a few days.

>something something nobody ever knew what the fuck happened the end
Mhm, feels far worse than just being scared of a ghost for sure. Feels like ANGER for at least a week.

Pretty much the average Lovecraft story too.

Junji is similar to Lovecraft on that matter. Most of Lovecraft's stories have open endings that left you pondering about them.

I like his stories.

l've never been scared by any of his stuff but l've been grossed out and unsettled, l've laughed too he's a pretty funny guy

he's a very good artist either way

Comedy gold
Seriously tho, his works are mostly so grotesque that they really are more like some sort of very dark comedy

His work either make me laugh or utterly terrified, in the same story even, there's no middle-ground.
It's pretty clear he's just having fun with his stories, and that translates to a very pleasent reading-experience.

this is objectively his best mango

The line between humor and horror is often pretty thin.

I can't even listen to one of my favorite bands anymore because binging Uzumaki has made me tie that feeling to them

He makes pretty looking girls without them having to look like bug-eyed moe blobs that's for sure.

I love his work. Like the other anons said he can make things genuinely scary or dusgusting, and then sometimes it crosses the line into funny. What's fascinating is talking to other people about it afterwards, because often what you thought was funny could've been horrifying to soneone else, and I love hearing the different reactions.

He definitely has fun doing what he does, and that makes it even better.

Before I read his work I was too scared to read/watch anything horror, and his work made me gain a great appreciation for good horror.

Also his cat comic almost had me in tears, what a fantastic concept.

So, what's your favourite Junji Ito Short Story?
I am between "The Thing That Drifted" and "A deserter in the house". Those gave me the chills.

>Short Story
I meant one-shot

The Sad Tale of the Principal Post is objectively his masterpiece.

The Human Chair was pretty unsettling

I liked Empire of Corpses, but it`s really confusing! Sad that he had to die before finishing it.

Best comedy mangaka of all time.

When i saw this thread i happened to re-read this. His humour is on point especially the contorted facial expressions.

Pretty cheesy and campy, which is fine by me I like that shit. His only truly terrifying manga was the one he made about his daily life with his cats

I binged through all his scanned works once, only things that he doesn't have online is a 1996ish book that nobody seems to know exists and his current works that are getting compiled

The first thing you have to understand is: Not all his stories are meant to be horror. Some are merely adventures and comedies with scary motiffs (mimi's ghost stoires and souichi).

When he actually does horror the dude not only basically set the aesthetics for manga horror by himself, but on top of that he knows how to do proper suspense (even if it's sometimes so Japanese it hurts the story) and gets that the basic idea behind scaring people is dealing with the unknown.

And when he goes nuts and decides do adventure horror like Uzumaki and Hellstar Remina you are bound to remember it for years to come.

The most Ito-ish work is the Tale of the Principal Post but the most interesting in my opinion is the one where the guy has dreams that last an eternity.

>Empire of Corpses
What are you talking about?

One of his spookiest IMO was about the strange doll disease. The unexplained post-"death" part of the disease keeps me spooked whenever I think about it.

Why the fuck did it keep mutating? Why a doll?

I FUCKING LOVE ITO JUNJI

Easily my favorite Ito horror series.

Army of One or whatever that story was titled, I liked that one. One of his that stuck with me the longest is the one with the headless mannequins, though.

Lovesick Dead, I specially loved the ending even more with the special extra chapter

Memories of real shit was his more impressing work, maybe because it hits too close to home.

I will show you something intresting.
Kago Shintarou. He's a genius too.