Under the Dog

Now that the dust has settled, can we agree that this was actually pretty good?

Other urls found in this thread:

siliconera.com/2015/06/22/under-the-dog-getting-an-anime-kickstarter-back-on-track/
crunchyroll.com/anime-news/2011/10/30-1/how-much-does-one-episode-of-anime-cost-to-make
twitter.com/LeSeanThomas/status/760884438880260096
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Despite having a couple hiccups as well as its dumbass PR and marketing that was initially handled by CIA (who left the project anyway), yeah I'd say it was alright.

Faggots here are just so worried and paranoid about fitting in that they're encouraged to shitpost about it.

Overall I'd say it was good and I'd be interested in seeing this become a TV show.

'salright.
The only thing I was disappointed by was the fact that most of the action scenes from the trailer weren't in the movie, but I'm not upset about what I got.

It had some dodgy bits of quality here and there, but the way it introduced the characters and concepts gave enough information for me to be interested in it's world and themes, so more than anything i'm just hoping someone actually picks this up and gives it a full run.

If Production I.G. gets a hold of this, it could be the next Psycho-Pass.

>If Production I.G. gets a hold of this, it could be the next Psycho-Pass.

but it was shit

I really want to know what happened to the million dollar budget. Did it go to all of the American voice actors or something? There was QUALITY showing a good half of the time.

I didn't watch it, but from what I've seen of screenshots here it looks like total crap.

>500 bucks

It wasn't bad. Was kind of suprised with the direction they took it. Particularly based on the promotional videos.

Oh surrre, not every frame was perfect, so it was complete shit.
God I hate you people.

first season is an easy 7-8/10

Animation and world-building is above-average.
Character introduction us a bit iffy and they completely blew it when this mary sue character comes out of nowhere, and made the initial characters irrelevant.
It has a pretty bad delivery of the premise and everything is just confusion and chaos.
The action sequences give off an atmosphere of being in a real-military operation.
Overall, it's good. But not a great "pilot episode" if you will.

>great direction
>great animation
>great action
I honestly can't see any reason to dislike it

The premise is unappealing, so I'm not going to watch it, but I would expect a lot more from something that made as much money as it did.

For a million dollar OVA that wasn't even 30 minutes long, while at the same time having worse art and animation than Mob psycho, Tales of Zestiria, 91 days, and Amanchu it sure as hell was. The fucking solders looked like they had a coat of 3D slapped over them, and had completely washed out colors.

The best thing about under the dog was it got me to watch gunslinger girl.

>It has a pretty bad delivery of the premise and everything is just confusion and chaos.
Well, I disagree hard with that.
It established the premise pretty clearly if you pay attention, and it did it with almost no exposition whatsoever.
I'm seriously impressed that I understood the basic elements of what was going on without having to be info dumped.
This is what you get when you have serious time constraints to establish a story.

>worse art and animation than Mob psycho
hahahahaha, no.
>The fucking solders looked like they had a coat of 3D slapped over them, and had completely washed out colors.
And that's also not true.

Well, that trailer that was originally shown was merely a teaser of what the creators had to offer.

The story and screenplay hadn't been fully crafted yet so as such UTD went through a bunch of rewrites during its development.

They'll probably find a way to recreate those scenes should a TV series get greenlit.

And it's a Kinema Citrus property, so they'll handle it.

All they need is good producers like Netflix in order to provide the necessary budget for the show.

>mindless
>incoherent
>edgy
I honestly can't see any reason to like it

This is the anime I'll always bring up whenever normalfags complain about otakus buying generic anime with high school setting plus some supernatural twist

I don't want to hear it from normalfags who are willing to pay 5 times more for the exact same shit

As a pilot it would be passable, but as a stand alone OVA episode (which is what it is) it's garbage.

>tits in front
>well animated
>promising story

what else is anime for?

The Kickstarter amassed $800K, and not all of it went towards the production. Much of it also had to cover backer rewards, marketing, distribution, etc. If you're seriously convinced that 100% of the money raised went towards the actual production of UTD, then you're a fucking idiot.

this

The soldiers look fucking awful, for having a standardized uniform and still managed to be the worst looking characters I've seen all season. How can you say this looks better than shows with 1/6th of the budget.

I may have used the wrong words. Yes I understand the basic premise with the way it was delivered without exposition at all, but it wasn't a strong enough premise to grip you throughout the show. Granted it was enough to explain why things are happening, but it wasn't enough to explain it on a macroscopic level.

yeah, if there's one thing I fucking hate in anime nowadays is relying on a massive fucking info dump to do their "world building"

Kiznaiver suffered terribly from this shit, and most MMO anime suffer from this shit as well. But despite this nearly 90% of every anime has some form of bullshit exposition where the characters waste your time by directly telling you shit.

>Oh this guy? He's _____, his family died in a tragic accident and also etc. etc. etc.
>this school was established to breed an army of cold blooded killers
>this world is fueled by the great power that is the crystals of karmic bullshit

For the amount of money they raised, and the fact that it was only one 28-minute episode, it should have been a lot better. 1 million can easily fund several episodes with better animation than what was given.

Know what's confusing? The artistic integrity that they wanted to keep using kickstarter. What was it that they wanted to use? A boob? That's literally the only thing that was different from other anime shows on tv.

ConRevo's second season showed a boob or two, so it wasn't that.

siliconera.com/2015/06/22/under-the-dog-getting-an-anime-kickstarter-back-on-track/

>[To Morimoto] You were appointed to be Under the Dog’s new producer after Creative Intelligence Arts stepped away from the project. What was the first thing you had to do in your new role?

>Koji Morimoto, Producer: What I had to do first was to grasp the financial situation of the project. I needed to make estimates on all the production costs for anime making and physical rewards, as well as grasp how much is needed to run the project as operational expenses. Before I took on the role and responsibility to help produce the specifics of the project, I examined the budget distribution that was already announced during the Kickstarter campaign.

>I found out: 1) there is a high possibility of rewards costing more than the initial estimates (since there were expensive rewards such as figurines, etc. being included), and 2) there was practically no budget set aside for the operational costs—probably based on an assumption to rely on works by volunteers. Those were the major concerns for me and that’s why I needed to check the financial aspect of the project first.

>people fell for the 500 dollar bait
I'm disappointed people here would be this gullible. Pretending to fall for it is even more retarded.

>>great animation
Yeah sure.
It had barely any plot, no characters and it was boring the whole way through.
The MC appears at the last minute and the rest of the OVA focuses on a boring bland kid that just dies anyways.
What a waste of 28 minutes.
The monster at the end looks even worse.

crunchyroll.com/anime-news/2011/10/30-1/how-much-does-one-episode-of-anime-cost-to-make

Well, the original Kickstarter campaign WAS pitching it as a pilot episode, and there's already been talk of Netflix and/or Crunchyroll producing it as a TV show, so there you go.

It was okay but the original premise they pitched was a lot more interesting. The inclusion of a lot of supernatural aspects (and a school setting) really diminished any interest there was before. It's not as though expectations were particularly high to begin with but the creative differences and the new direction they took it was not the right choice.

>spending more on the extras than the actual animation

It's almost like they had no confidence in it to begin with

>(and a school setting)
I sometimes wish japs would include westerners into their budget.

Too bad there still isn't a reputable and sure way of measuring this kind of interest.

Isn't it just Gunslinger Girls but with modern production values and no lolis

after seeing voltron that's not a bad thing to hear.

That's just a rough average of a typical dime-a-dozen anime episode.

If you think that shows like Fate/stay night: Unlimited Blade Works and One Punch Man only cost about $145K per episode and are gonna use that as your info Bible, then you're retarded.

I personally would be interested in seeing it expanded. As it is now, it's kind of a throwaway action movie.

They pulled a fucking Ubisoft on us. The trailer looked great and the animation looked high quality. But the actual OVA was completely average at best. It disappointed me

>inb4 we were tricked into paying for a trailer

>I sometimes wish japs would include westerners into their budget.
This whole thing is western budget

Chikashi Kubota himself said that OPM only had an average budget.

So basically CIA were complete fucking idiots and Morimoto saved the project?

>people saying it's good without knowing jack shit about the premise (if any at all)

CONGRATULATIONS YOU SCAMMED PEOPLE INTO A GENERIC ACTION SHORT
WHAT'S THE NEXT PART OF YOUR MASTER PLAN?

Money doesn't mean shit, just throwing more money at your animators won't make them draw better.
Time and skill are more important and they had TWO fucking years to finish this shit.

Yes, pic related

Next people will keep complaining about unexplained shit and convoluted plot, like "what is _______ made for" and "who the fuck is this guy".

And still it doesn't make sense half the time

>If you think that shows like Fate/stay night: Unlimited Blade Works and One Punch Man only cost about $145K per episode
So where's the part where you put up some proof to shut him up?

Even with the breakdown about 40% of the money collected went into that OVA. Which is still far more than the average show.

They overspent and the final product didn't reflect the amount of money amassed.

Guy who was behind Cannon Busters liked it

twitter.com/LeSeanThomas/status/760884438880260096

CRASHING THE ANIME INDUSTRY
WITH NO SUREVIVORS

t. Tumblr

Yeah, but he's the guy behind CannonBusters. Hardly a man with good taste.

It's out?

Of course not silly we're just pretending.

We already established that not only did not all of the money go towards actually creating UTD (), but that CIA were complete asshats who didn't have a good budget set aside for the project during pre-production and thought that they could just rely on Kickstarter bucks to cover the costs ().

This explains why Kinema Citrus kicked them off the project and why CIA's other Kickstarter project, the JRPG Project Phoenix, has been delayed indefinitely.

>people actually needing to be spoonfed with exposition to understand a story

Eh.

It's been out for like two days. Where the fuck have you been? Go on nyaa, it's there.

>actually pretty good
It was good enough that I would probably give it the 3-episode test but it certainly wasn't anything special.

I wasn't even expecting much but I was still borderline disappointed. And I assume that the claim that they were trying to do something special that was somehow outside the bounds of what you could do with traditional anime was just marketing BS because there was nothing that really distinguished it from other run-of-the-mill anime. Everything it did, from story, setting, characterization, animation and action was average at best.

I think is was good, it has a lot of potencial, the action scenes looks good, all this pandoras, flowers, U.S. soldiers looks interesting. But i didn't like the characters QUALITY, looks like shit compared to the first trailer. I mean, they had 900k dollars, so i expected something with good quality and at least 55 min long.

Seriously, you see the OVA and think that it was done with 5k. Anyway, i hope Under the Dog receive a T.V. series, i will be disappointed if it ends like Arve Rezzle, in ''never ever''

>a dozen people saying they liked it makes it good
I guess Naruto is the best anime ever after all

>BANG BANG BANG BOOM BOOM
Michael Bay did better.

kinema citrus should stick to doing SoLs desu

both yuyushiki and barakamon were top=tier

See

>And I assume that the claim that they were trying to do something special that was somehow outside the bounds of what you could do with traditional anime was just marketing BS
No fucking shit, that was obvious from the get-go. Literally the only thing you should've expected was good action animation which we did get.

Their next series is a sports anime (actual sports, not Teekyu sports) with cute girls who may or may not be gay. Got Irie and Kaori directing, so it should be good.

>Their next series is a sports anime (actual sports, not Teekyu sports) with cute girls who may or may not be gay. Got Irie and Kaori directing, so it should be good.
Haven't felt this hyped in a while. Although I'm still not sold on this "ping pong is a sport" meme

How did people like this OVA? The art style was bland, the characters were shallow, the monster was just an EVA complete with AT field, and the main girl's super scifi gear is so out of place with everything else.

Were people too busy day dreaming about what this series could have been to realize what it was?

When you learn more about the world (the most intresting part in my opinion) from a Wikipedia page then you do watching the show

i really want to know what idiot thought soldiers wear nightvision during the day

They need more tactical

>Although I'm still not sold on this "ping pong is a sport" meme
How isn't it a sport?

because it's ping pong? AKA table tennis?

When an activity is named "table+[actual sport]" that's a dead giveaway that it isn't a sport.

c.f. foosball AKA table soccer, hungry hungry hippos

Not even fucking close.

>Animation and world-building is above-average.

Foosball isn't in the Olympics.

It was memetastic. I don't generally go in for the "watching shows with Sup Forums XD" thing but in that instance...

They don't have to worry about the Chinese boycotting for not including foosball.

Hana probably died a virgin too, oh the humanity.

>people actually think knows everything to be told from pieces of subtext
pray tell, why do you demand full serialization again?

This was an important scene and they didn't even draw her properly. Rip in QUALITY.

Did it save anime guys?

I found it interesting that the Flowers organisation were bad guys.

I wonder how loyal Anthea is to them.

Would watch if it got a tv series.

Hope you losers who did pay learnt your lesson.

>friendly reminder that if you want to know more about this anime's story, you should just read "μ and I" instead.

I was surprised by the Pandora monster I was expecting something more akin to super soldiers like the villains in Metal Gear when the description referred to enhanced terrorism or whatever.

Learnt what lesson? They were pitching it as a pilot for a tv show in the first place.

And I only donated $60 to the project and frankly I was satisfied with what I got.

So suck it.

Probably one of the creative differences during the production phase.

I guess you could the flowers super soldiers.

I noticed Hana actively jam the soldier's gun and deflect glancing shots with her at field.

>And I only donated $60 to the project and frankly I was satisfied with what I got.
Comments like this are akin to stockholm syndrome.

nice damage control

>And I only donated $60 to the project
You paid $60 for a 20 minute OVA?

Going to have to switch to his left hand now.

Even though the end product turned out nothing like how it was initially advertised?

Also, 60 dollars is a bitch much for the effort in this show.

Well that was pretty shit. I can't believe I bothered to shell out money for this even as a fucking drunken joke.

Not only were the advertised scenes in the trailer not even included but the actual quality of the show, which was the only thing I was interested to see in a substanceless OVA, couldn't even trump an average high end TV series. The worst part? It didn't even focus on cute bestiality-loving operator girls operating.

In a way, it really was reminiscent of those old forgettable 90s OVAs except it didn't have the animation quality to back it up. God fuck this just have some hack like Umetsu do another Mezzo Forte again. At least LWA actually delivered on the hype.

>took a curious peek
I'll be damned, add more loli and UTD becomes Myuu And I.

To be fair, the nips pay $150 for 2-3 episodes, so it's not that bad, all things considered.

>have some hack like Umetsu do another Mezzo Forte again
After the debacle that was Wizard Baristas, I don't think he's even got that in him.

Anthea tits.

Do you think she's a virgin?

They do pay for shit they've seen and still want it, instead of paying for shit they haven't seen at all.