Why has it taken anime 20 years to create another MC as good as Shinji?

Why has it taken anime 20 years to create another MC as good as Shinji?

>subaru
>as good as shinji

You're right, he's better.

I don't watch anime anymore though :S

Then get out.

NO MOTHER FUCKER. YOU'RE STILL ALL MY FRIENDS

>>subaru
can someone let a newfag know who top pic is and what anime it is?

sure newfriend! this is subaru uchiha from anime tokyo ghoul

Too busy following the same tropes that pander to nippons shit taste

>tokyo ghoul
thanks

It's a joke. His real name is Honda, so people call him Subaru or Toyota to be clever.

dont compare that trash to subaru

Your thread from yesterday sucked, you are not clever.

Saki Watanabe is the greatest MC i've ever seen. Very very few will agree with me but she is everything a main character should be.

Just caught up to the most recent episode, wondering how the self-inserting neets felt after suzuki's monologue about him being absolute worthless trash

he is clownman dont confuse him with pedoclown
one fucks a pink haired girl the other not

Too bad that they turned her old halfway through.

>everything a main character should be

Which is?

かわいい

I'll be your friend user. What do you want to talk about?

>Create a believable MC who struggles emotionally to cope with the extraordinary circumstances he is placed in.

>Fans hate he's not a blank canvas shōnen gary stu they can jerk their egos to.

>Expecting the anime industry to produce a grounded MC when it's their job to cater to emotional and social cripples.

Relatable, not weak but not over powered, likable but still has flaws, grows throughout the series, isn't an idiot but not a genius and makes realistic decisions, great moral compass but in an intelligent way. However what makes her really the best is that despite nothing about her standing out or being particularly interesting she is really interesting and you care about what happens to her. Also shes cute so thats always good. Basically as far as realistic and relatable main characters go she is the best i've ever seen.

So basically meh

this

>Somebody posted the pic I made a week ago yesterday

Good to know my opinions are slowly infecting Sup Forums.

Alright, so you got me interested so I just reverse googled searched these pictures to find out what the anime was.

It better be good, or I'll personally shitpost about it on Sup Forums until everybody hates it. I hope for both our sakes it's as good as you've made it out to be.

After like his 15th death he should have gotten over it

Oh it's good but prepare to be emotionally crushed, not in a cheesy "oh that guy died" way but in a different kind of way, I won't spoil it. It really is an experience.

I have a spot in my heart for Kaiba's ability to destroy my emotional comfort, so you're only building my expectations even higher. I'll watch it.

This is something no living human has context to build on.

The fact that you're sitting here typing this is a self refutation of your central argument.

It's easy to say some people have experienced pain that is greater than fatal injury and survived, but psychologically these concepts aren't possible to measure.

Even just getting a cramp in your calf is incredibly painful so don't be so quick to trivialize the pain of death.

source plz i am newb to anime but like shinji

Prepare for gay

He's an all wheel drive automobile with a 2.5L flat-4 boxer engine from the anime "Initial D"

Isn't he only on the 12th death right now?
4 times to bowel hunter
4 times to dog
4 times to current

Not the user you are talking to, but SSY is definitely fantastic and worthy of your time. Just remember to wait for the last arc. Episodes 16-25 are some of the best anime has seen.

>unoriginal neet character who is self destructive and recognizes he's a shit person, yet behaves as a normal hero going about completing quests
>otaku tier self insert
But this is what pissed me off the most
>all characterization is spit out through monologues by the MC where he breaks himself down for the viewer as if they're too stupid to figure out
>then doesn't show any of this characterization in his actions in other scenes
>user's then claim he's deep and go as far to say he's relateable
>show goes out of its way to say how much of a piece of shit he is
>literally an isekai with a bipolar MC who switches from stupidly goofy to punished snake in a scene
>user's still suck his cock and claim he's well written
>they have the gall to compare him to character's like shinji,Sato, and lain
>when the author himself is just taking a typical isekai and coating it in edge

shinji has problems with his father, with his mother's death, has trouble in relating with society, has problems to pilot a robot, is afraid of responsibility. he loves and hates people. yeah, people, not just monsters or villains. he is selfish, but also knows how to be kind, he is affectionate, but also knows how to be annoying.

subaru think he is a hero, he wants to stay with the waifu, but can not because he dies every time. and that's it.

shinji is annoying, but believable. subaru is annoying, incoherent and stupid.
>hey, I'm alone in a strange world full of dangerous creatures and suffering frighteningly violent deaths. but who cares? let's do it again!

All these Evangalion fanboys mad because someone is better than there shit tier MC and anime

I don't think anyone is this stupid...

>shinji
>good
I think it's time to kill yourselves.

Subaru is an emotionally stunted neet with an obsession of getting his Good End

Hey I actually agree with you on a lot of your points man. Especially considering ep 18 was what you described to a fault.

I guess I just look past the weak aspects of the writing because I'm enjoying the show.

The comparisons aren't mean to be qualifying as equal so there's no need to get offended on behalf of works you consider to be artistically superior, (ofc Evangelion is a masterpiece.)

I guess the one point I take issue with is when you say Subaru was a Neet yet he goes about doing the quests... what do you suppose he should do? Become "Welcome to the NHK" in a fantasy setting? Since his failures cause him to reset, he's confronted with the reality that he has to proceed, or constantly endure the pain of death for eternity((?) the victory or permanent failure conditions are unclear to both the viewer and Subaru.)

But yeah in summary I strongly agree with you but it doesn't stop me from seeing Subaru as relatable, despite the writing being poor at times.

>y-you aren't supposed to like him!
Then why do the other characters of the show?

The viewers aren't you imbecile

what a sad get...

Shinji is fucking trash.
At least Subaru is likeable.

this modern anime style looks so fucking ugly when they try to have actual expressions

>Thinking a art style from the 90s is good

Are you okay user? That art style is cancer and all of the sfx from that era is just as bad and not to mention the acting

That's poor reasoning, a well written character would be reacted to in the same way by the viewers and other in-universe characters

At least Subaru is not gay.

You realize character design isn't restricted by decade right?

Subaru is easily the best protagonist we've had in years and Re;Zero is the best anime we've had in years. Bless White Fox. SHAFT and KyoAni got nothing on WF.

>Subaru is likeable
You just have bad taste in people.

What if they switched places?

Sorry user-kun but if you think Shinji is a better character you need to check yourself

ok
Obviously but there is still a resemblance between most shows releasing recently

Re:Zero would go downhill

no, i definitely don't. and i like re;zero a lot and think that the mc serves the plot well. but the truth is: he ain't likable.

Shinji was a piece of shit. I'm basing this solely off how fucking annoying it was to have to watch him through the entire series.

Subaru is kind and funny, would make a very good friend.
Shinji just has daddy problems and would only be good for his boipucci.

The reason mongs hate him is because he acts to human and shows emotions and not only because he's what everyone else is a neet and people don't like seeing themselvs and acknowledging how pathetic they are. He's one of the best MC for long time with his emotions and how he acts to things, he's not a typical OP cold heart mc who doesn't care about anything.

You are touched with madness if you think shinji is a good character.

4 times to bowel hunter
1 time to dog
2 times to Blue Oni
1 time seppukku
3 times to puck

Subaru is an annoying dickhead who's hopelessly desperate for attention. Having him around would be insufferable.

Shinji's actually a pretty chill guy and would be a top tier bro/househusband if you treated him right.

10/10 would let bowel hunter get me and 1 by Rem and 1 by Ram as Ram slits his throat in the forest not Rem

shinji can't check point though

and he's a faggot too

did she? i was pretty sure it was rem who tortured him then killed him in the forest after he tried to escape, same thing in the mansion, when he tried to escape from the curse he got killed by rem

>Shinji's actually a pretty chill guy and would be a top tier bro/househusband if you treated him right.
Probably. But he's also probably one of those friends who talks about how shitty they feel and how worthless they are when you're trying to make them feel better. Super insecure that you have to CONSTANTLY give him pep talks. At least until the finale.

Also, I feel like I can forgive Shinji more because of his age. He's like right in the middle of his body changing and emotions running wild. Subaru is almost an adult and is still... him.

No. He goes New Game+

subaru is depressed and has abandonment issues.
he would have a happy go lucky facade until sometimes happened to him and he broke down.

Subaru
-Hyperactive, always talking
-Terrified of failure, yet sabotages his own success
-Craves attention. Can't stand it when a loved one does something not involving him
-Damaged narcissist: acts confident to mask deep self-loathing
-Always trying to "help" even when people don't want it
-Ignores the requests of people he loves so he can "help"

Yep if you watch it you can see his throat get slit by her wind magic. Rem kills him in the mansion at night like you said while he's cursed

So what would you change for him to be better?

what death was the ram one? when he tried to leave the mansion? or when rem died because he didnt do anything

When he's in the forest. He suicides when Rem dies

As a confirmed Remfag, I have to say the reason we all fell for her isn't because she proclaimed her love to Subaru, and it isn't because she's a badass. It's because she's the character we know the most about. We know more about her background, her feelings, her thoughts, her dreams than any other character in the show. I might be able to like Subaru if I knew anything about him. All I know is that he acts super fucked up in a super fucked up situation...

Former NEET, not really self inserting still felt pretty on point man

Nobody gives a shit about Rem in this thread it's about Subaru-kun. Not the girl who rejected the one she loves. The whale needs to eat her again

What startegy would Subaru use to fight the angels?

i was pretty sure it was rem who killed him with the little wind magic she can use

What strategy would Shinji use to kill the whale and Puck and Satella and all other archbishops without his robot? Or even if he had it?

go full retard

It wasn't. Hence why she says her sister is too kind. Rem doesn't have wind magic she uses water magic

oh i see, thanks Sup Forumsnon

bang all the knights and ask for their help (or just bang them)

(Not him)

Why Subaru acts cool in a world he doesn't know? Why he plays the hero all the time even knowing he has no competence to be one? My opinion: it seems that the author deliberately wanted to make Subaru suffer, but he can not do that if the character run away from the situation, then the author makes him act constantly aiming for heroism. But the author also can not really do that if Subaru died on the first attempt, then he inserts a device to revive him all the time. It's kinda cheap. 18 episodes and little development. He doesn't want to generate reflection, just gratuitous shock.

he would die the first day after he ignores emilia, emilia dies and puck destroys the continent

Get in the robot?

The story was obviously written with Return By Death in mind, it was probably the starting concept for the story as a whole. To imply that it was made as an afterthought is silly.

All these truly slothful anons here

it's trash. be ready for NTR, Yaoi, boredom, rat people, nonsense, boredom, and if you make it to the end of this shit you deserve a medal. either because you're a verifiable retard or because you're a masochist.

>literally an isekai with a bipolar MC who switches from stupidly goofy to punished snake in a scene

What scene? Theres a bunch of scenes where that could be believable. He already started getting some PTSD after Rem tortures him to death.

its re:zero

Subaru has daddy problems too which are revealed later in the novel.

You don't really need to have daddy problems or problems with people to be a NEET loser.

Example: me

You didn't understand. I just show how the conception process may have happened. Of course he didn't added these elements later, since everything was already revealed in the first episode.

I want to Hold hands with female Betelgeuse so bad

It all returns to nothing,
it just keeps
tumbling down,
tumbling down,
tumbling down...

Re:Zero soundtrack.