How should I start reading the Bible? Any particular books I should read before others or anything?

How should I start reading the Bible? Any particular books I should read before others or anything?

t. Protestant who wants to finally go through the whole bible.

Other urls found in this thread:

lolcatbible.com/index.php?title=Main_Page
ascensionpress.com/t/category/study-programs/catholic-bible-study/adult-bible-study
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Salema_porgy
youtube.com/watch?v=rJvZ8qzW0e8
youtube.com/watch?v=dnrT7yZEV-g
archive.4plebs.org/pol/thread/120132023/#120132023
jesus-is-savior.com.
bible.com/1/psa.119.18.KJV
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

You don't want to read the Bible. Stay a good, moral Christian, and forget about reading that stuff. If you actually seriously get into it, you'll notice how wrong it is, and then you can't keep the facade together. Sometimes it's better to be a little stupid.

Good goy.

I'm serious. You read the Bible, you'll stop being Christian. It's almost inevitable. You'll start noticing all the little problems, the lack of cosmology straight from the mouth of Jesus, the fact that EVERYTHING comes from Paul, the same Paul who is obviously lying about his background and his alleged expertise. You'll see that the New Testament does not in fact connect to the Old, and in fact the authors of the NT books only seemed to have skimmed through it.

Stay happy, stay safe. Read a few stories from the Bible at most, but don't go from start to finish.

I pull this up on occasion. It makes me very happy. Have a look.
lolcatbible.com/index.php?title=Main_Page

the lord did not speak to be understood by the multitudes. the bible is an onion with many layers. look up gematria. look up newtons life study of the bible he believed had encoded information. the parables of christ are the direct continuation of the ancient mystery schools from the dawn of man. those with ears let them hear. those with eyes let them see. christ said his sheep would recognize their shepherd. if reading the bibles shakes your faith you have been following blindly and were surprised when you bumped into things in your ignorance?

Read Judges.

Ignore the Old Testament and all the supernatural elements of the New Testament. Look up the Jefferson Bible.

Read it alongside the Greeks, Romans and Chinese. Then read Enlightenment thinkers.

Adult Bible Study Resources

ascensionpress.com/t/category/study-programs/catholic-bible-study/adult-bible-study

Oh wise man, why did Matthew write that there were 14 generations from Adam to David, another 14 from David to Babylonian Exile, and 14 from that exile to Jesus, when his own counting has to treat a generation inconsistently to get to that, and is in any way inconsistent with the royal house of Judah's genealogy listed in Chronicles. What hidden truth, numerological or otherwise, is revealed?

Why is St Paul, when he pronounced that under the Old Law, there is no forgiveness without the shedding of blood, (Hebrews, 9:22), unaware of passages like Jonah 3:10 and Leviticus 5:11? Why does he claim to have been a Pharisee, yet work for the Sadducee priests? What can we learn from this omission?

Why does Ezekiel speak of the Messiah restoring temple animal sacrifice in verses 45:17-25?

Read the first 4 books of the New Testamnet, ask questions, and seek the answers whole heartedly. And pray of course

who the fuck is mathew...
did you know that 90% of mathew is copied verbatim from mark and the other 10% is uncertain authorship. the bible was translated many times and many meanings do not carry through multiple translations very well. it wasnt even canonized before 300AD thats a long time for stories to mutate and be embellished or modified to irrelevance.

they call Christ the Redeemer because not only did he redeem us with his sacrifice but he was the last sacrifice. his coming and his new testament supersedes the old law that led the people of israel into decline through the talmudic satanic jew pharisees.

If you really, really want to familiarize yourself with the text, read using the Grant Horner Bible reading program. It's ten chapters per day. It takes about 45 minutes per day. If that's too much for you, I'd recommend the M'Cheyne bible reading Plan. It's only four chapters per day and will get you through the whole Bible in a year.

>who the fuck is mathew...
Matthew, traditional author of the Book of Matthew. It's one of the Gospels. You do know what those are, right?

>did you know that 90% of mathew is copied verbatim from mark and the other 10% is uncertain authorship
Oh, so you don't think the Gospels are accurate texts of Jesus' teachings. Well, then, since we have literally nothing else describing his life and ministry in any detail, if we throw them out we have what exactly?

> the bible was translated many times and many meanings do not carry through multiple translations very well.
I don't know about you, but when I read the Bible, I do so in the original Greek or Hebrew, except for the last few books of the OT, as I haven't mastered aramaic. Unless you can find me an older manuscript, I'm not going to have to worry about translation artifacts. Do you have a problem with

>Πᾶσαι οὖν αἱ γενεαὶ ἀπὸ Ἀβραὰμ ἕως Δαυεὶδ γενεαὶ δεkατέσσαρες, kαὶ ἀπὸ Δαυεὶδ ἕως τῆς μετοιkεσίας Βαβυλῶνος γενεαὶ δεkατέσσαρες, kαὶ ἀπὸ τῆς μετοιkεσίας Βαβυλῶνος ἕως τοῦ Χριστοῦ γενεαὶ δεkατέσσαρες.
as original text, or as close as original as can be possibly reconstructed?

>they call Christ the Redeemer because not only did he redeem us with his sacrifice but he was the last sacrifice
So are you saying Ezekiel is lying? Maybe mistaken? Because he pretty clearly is talking about resumption of animal sacrifice.

>his coming and his new testament supersedes the old law
So now God is lying in Deuteronomy 4:27-45? You know, the part where you get the claims that the Old law will be obeyed forever?

Be honest, have you read the bible, front to back? In any language, not the originals.

False, false, false.

best most useful response

Start with the first 4 books of the New Testament. They're the same story, told from 4 different perspectives. Also read Psalms (it's poetry) and Proverbs (it's all about how to be wise).

mathew the moneylender. i suspect he may well have been a disciple of Christ and may well have written his own gospel but that doesnt change the fact that 90% of Mark is in Mathew. there are many such overlaps between authors and stories that align in places but diverge in others. why do you think there are so many gospels? telling the same story? because everyone saw christ from their own point of view and as such had to record what they saw from that personal point of view. this personal touch would have largely been edited and erased and/or modified to codify the texts at the councils of nicaea. they chose which gospels became canon. they changed original gospel texts to summarize and maintain a narrative while attempting to maintain the truth of events that took place 300 years before them. the word of god was edited and printed by human hands. the word is more than ink on page. find the common threads and you will find the will of christ.

tell me what old law christ broke in his redemption of the flock. the lamb of god was the final sacrifice. the moneylenders made the temple a place of commerce. it was the act that our lord was tried and killed for. he knew his actions would lead to his death and he walked into the fire anyways. christ saw people buying favor with money and it drove him to cast them out. its too bad that too this day the moneylenders never really left the temple did they.

also this
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Salema_porgy

Read the Bible and realize you should follow what Jesus said in Matthew, and not what Paul says if it is in anyway contradicted by Jesus.

Contrast what Jesus teaches versus how wicked Jacob was, who gave name to the Israelites and you will see why the Jews are so evil.

The psalms are pretty good poetry as well.
youtube.com/watch?v=rJvZ8qzW0e8

I don't disagree, but there are better and worse interpretations of the Bible.

start with galatians, ephesians, philippians, and colossians. Then matthew, Luke, James, revelations, Romans, the epistles are quite good in general. Make sure to also read imitation of Christ, St. Thomas Aquinas, Pilgrems, and good theology with the Bible. God speed

genesis
cover to cover
jesus went around quoting scripture

Just read it from cover to cover in the order that it's in. I bought myself a KJV bible last week and I'm doing the same.

start with the Skeptic's Annotated Bible

most useful and comprehensive version there is

Best advice I can give is to not power-read it. Take it slow, pray often for understanding and wisdom. Delving into the Word allows God to reveal things to you, if you ask. Draw nigh to God, and he will draw nigh to you.

Also, if there's a passage in the New Testament that mentions the Old, go back and reread it. It gives a lot of context.

Good luck on your journey, I'm there with you.

Christianity is retarded. Read the Skeptic's Annotated Bible if you want to read the Bible.

youtube.com/watch?v=dnrT7yZEV-g

If reading the Bible shakes your faith, you aren't a Christian.

old testament is my fave

literally anything man its called bible study for a reason you will uncover new stuff each time it has all your answers but it isn't a "i will read 1 chapter today" the more god you have in your life the more christ like you become! continue to implment it into your daily routine

my fave passage

Matthew 7:7-12New International Version (NIV)
Ask, Seek, Knock

7 “Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you. 8 For everyone who asks receives; the one who seeks finds; and to the one who knocks, the door will be opened.

I look forward warmly to the day a critical mass of white people stop giving a shit about Christianity. "Oh, Christianity is too racist and white? Jesus was a hooknose infiltrator."

>If reading the Bible shakes your faith, you aren't a Christian

if reading the Bible gives you faith, you aren't an empiricist

Faith comes from God, it is strengthened through the scripture

Practice precedes belief.

In hindsight, that was wrong of me to say. God decides the measure of faith that we receive. So you can indeed be a Christian and be a doubter, but we can grow our faith. I hope you do so

Sorry, its late, can you elaborate?

Without Paul, Christianity would have been little more than an extinct Jewish sect.

You either accept that the Bible is His Word, or you don't. If you do, you trust it. If you don't, that's on you.

How do I get to be where you are now?

The fact is, I'm with OP, I will always be between someone like you and someone else like
who have much more understanding of the Bible but with different perspectives, and I'd like to finally come to an ultimate conclusion for myself

Here's one.
archive.4plebs.org/pol/thread/120132023/#120132023

The first post is a wolf. Clearly telling you the way to damnation. "living the good Christian life" won't save you. Learn about the free grace gospel - Salvation is simple:

All have sinned and fallen short of the glory of God and deserve hell. God became Jesus. He died the death you deserved. He died on the cross at calvary, was buried, and three days later he rose again. He is alive. If you believe in him you will be saved. We are saved by faith alone, not by works. We will never be good enough to go to heaven, so Jesus did it all for us. He knew no sin but became sin for us. And when we trust in him and accept his free gift of salvation, he gives us his righteous account. When you stand before God in the day of Judgment he'll look at you and see Jesus.

Read the Bible! The Bible is a lamp to your feet. Jesus is present with you and will illuminate the word.

If you want some sources, I recommend these

jesus-is-savior.com. Read his articles on lordship salvation, false doctrines, and listen to the preachers that he posted.

Also

Cherubim Church on YouTube
Ashfin Yagtin of New Covenant Baptist Church on YouTube
Pastor Steven Anderson (he has a right gospel, but a wrong teaching that hays can't be saved. They can be saved)
Ralph Yankee Arnold
Pastor Jack Hyles

Also check out stuff by facelikethesun on YouTube.

Acts 16:31 - the disciples were asked "What is necessary for salvation". They replied "Believe in the lord Jesus Christ an you shall be saved".

The Bible is a library, there's no correct way to read it.

Just keep in mind that poetry is poetry and prose is prose. When God writes poetry he's communicating feelings (not to be taken literally) and when he writes prose he's either communicating ideas (parables, etc.) or history (Book of Acts).

Do not take scripture out of its context. Keep an eye out for shadows of Christ in the old testament (Jonah in the Whale, Isaac being sacrificed, etc.)

Open thou mine eyes, that I may behold WONDROUS things out of thy law.
Psalms 119:18 KJV
bible.com/1/psa.119.18.KJV

First make sure it's a King James Bible. Start at Genesis and read the Bible with a scientific eye. God's science is amazingly advanced.

what do you mean by this

I recommend Ecclesiastes. As an atheist, I find myself returning to some of the observations it makes.

The Bible is a collection of books spanning the Bronze Age to the 1st century AD. You shouldn't jump right in and expect to get much meaning out of it. Start with a study bible. The ESV Study Bible is impressive, though I think it might be overly literal at times. The New Jerusalem Bible is a good mix of historical-critical and Catholic scholarship. The New Oxford and HarperCollins Annotated Bibles are the standard historical-critical editions. I think their annotations are rather poor, but I haven't read the latest editions. The New English Translation is available online at net.bible.org. Its annotations focus on linguistic and textual issues, but it has a lot of study notes as well. Have fun.

Read it from front to back, like any other book...as quickly as you can. Anyone that tells you otherwise is a false prophet.

I read it front to back in 3 days. It doesn't take longer than any other novel.

Don't spend too much time trying to comprehend the details your first time through. Once you have read the entire book, going back through individual books and passages will make more and more sense...and more insight about deeper meaning will be revealed.

You will never understand it until first reading the whole thing. Try the HCSB.

That's actually the bible translation I use, I like it a lot.

"Read the Bible in a year" etc. type programs are meant to KEEP you from reading it. And many study programs are full of distraction and deception.

"The anointing you received from Him remains in you, and you don’t need anyone to teach you. Instead, His anointing teaches you about all things and is true and is not a lie; just as He has taught you, remain in Him."

You don't need a teacher. God will reveal the truth if you immerse yourself in the word.

The Bible is not a happy message. The Earth is going to be destroyed and most souls are lost. Those that count themselves amongst the "saved" yet still continue to sin are liars and decieved. I don't count myself amongst the "saved". But I know the truth of what the book says and am unwilling to perpetuate the lie that you are in grace while continuing to sin.

I read the Bible cover to cover and it took about 10 months. I was still reading other books at the time. I enjoyed reading it.
user is right in everything he said. The Old Testament is very clearly written by ignorant bronze age sheep-hoarders. There's a lot of fucked up things you'll never hear in school or church.