I just watched the first episode of evangelion. Did I like it?

I just watched the first episode of evangelion. Did I like it?

>episode starts
>kid gets taken to a super secret base
>adults plain bully him until this sick grill appears
>he gets into a mecha
>end
Trash desu

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=oE57yb846ys
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

where can i subscribe?

terrible thread

think more carefully if you want people to pay attention to your posts

This episode plays around with the idea of "falling into the gundam cockpit", by having the young hero piss his pants the first time he does it.

If you had never piloted a giant robot before and suddenly your long lost father showed up and was like "I need you to pilot mecha and fight kaiju, right now, no preparation," you would be scared too, admit it OP.

here we go again

I'm not a pussy like you so...

Its fucking retarded though. The father tells him to get the fuck in, the blondie thinks it be reasonable so she tells him to get fuck in, the first grill defends him and moments later tells him to get the fuck him without them even asking him before or explaining him properly what's even going on.

Yes we know Eva is trash, so can you stop talking about it?

>14-year-old boy
>didn't volunteer
>lol but you still have a choice
>lol why are you so angry your dad made you almost kill one of your only friends
>lol why are you so mad your father abandoned you and then proceeds to only use you as his personal G.I. Joe figurine

OP, keep in mind that if you continue watching the show, Shinji and MAYBE Misato and Kaji are the only characters in the entire franchise without raging autism.

Shinji is basically their only chance. And Gendo knows that even if Shinji messes up there's a good chance Unit-01 will just go Berserk and kill the Angel anyway. There's nothing they could explain to him in the next few minutes that would help.

Maybe outright telling him that Rei is fucked up and he - unlike any of them - is the only one that can do it? I'm pretty sure that would have been relevant.

Shinji's classmates are pretty normal too.

Gendo and Rei are mega autists though.

Gendo does tell him he's the only one that can do it. Shinji keeps insisting he won't do it because he doesn't actually believe he's the only one who can.

He says he won't do it because he's scared and confused and wants to avoid responsibility but the promise of 'finally making dad see me' and seeing Rei in that state (because in the end he's still a good person) push him over to accept.

It's low-key a pivotal moment in the show, because he's clearly given the choice to just run away and cancel the whole story. Anno has to come up for a half-reasonable reason for Shinji accepting so he drops hints throughout that the ep that Shinji REALLY wants Gendo to acknowledge him so that when push comes to shove we can kind of believe it when he actually gets in the robot

True, I forgot to mention the key point that Shinji doesn't trust his father and that's why he refuses to get in.

NERV as a whole was a jacked up place from an organizational standpoint. Bringing in an untrained and untested pilot is already a huge gamble, but essentially blackmailing him into piloting on the spot and hoping for a miracle is downright retarded. This along with the fact that there was no psychological therapy on base of any kind to help with pilot fatigue and ptsd just shows how little they actually care about the pilots as a whole. Misato having been in the military and being the Ops director should have at least called this into question. Shit man I'd be tempted to skate after being boiled alive, fuck that noise.

Misato was just as clueless, she only acted professional on the bridge and had a sense of responsibility

Big idea on NGE is the adults are just as lost as the teens, the first half of EoE really emphasizes this

I get that she didn't know about the greater plans of the organization. But even at her level as Ops director you'd think she'd ask about more pilot support

Also Ritsuko is worst girl.

Pilot support was her job, and she thought she was doing fine.

Pilot support in battle was her job, outside of that they wete just gonna let Shinji rot in the same crappy apartments Rei had. I admire her for stepping up and trying to help but revenge obsessed alcoholic wasnt the proper choice to help 2 mentally and emotionally broken children.

Obviously, but clearly NERV didn't know or really care too much about that. Also hindsight is 20/20, Misato wasn't really that bad a caretaker and likely didn't know the depths of Shinji and Asuka's problems.

>Obviously, but clearly NERV didn't know or really care too much about that

therein lies the problem. She wasn't the best choice for supporting them outside of battle but she did the best she could and admittedly she's the reason the pilots made it as far as they did. Without her the teamup attack might have fallen through, Shinji likely wouldn't have come back from either Leliel or his 400% absorption and Asuka might have bit the bullet at the volcano. My issue is why didn't she inquire about psych therapy during the war.

She doesn't really seem the type to care much about psychological treatment. That sort of stuff still isn't fully accepted even in modern non-apocalypse Japan, so it would make sense if it wasn't accepted at all in universe.

Shinji is r9k tier
Misato is a pedophile
Kaji is bro tier so of course, he dies.

>pedophile

Shinji is a teenager. What Misato does in the later episodes is weird but is not pedophilia.

Fuck off pedo in denial.

As much as I like the ship, Misato's "grown-up kiss" was really just a way of trying to calm/distract Shinji so that he'd get the fuck to his Eva and not worry about her dying.

youtube.com/watch?v=oE57yb846ys

Yep this actually happens

>be Shinji
>14 years old loser
>save the worlds repeatedly

when were you when you were 14, Sup Forums?

>Only one country has the military technology to save the world
>It's Japan

>I'm a newfag and I'm going to be a contrarian and call GOAT trash to be a special snowflake
>tips fedora
saged

I think you missed a few parts of the story.
The whole UN is behind the evangelion project, with SEELE pulling the strings behind the curtain ofc.

Why do people think this shit is deep again

>implying the first Episode wasnt garbage
You will never fit in

The first episode is great. The only problem is that it puts you in on the deep end with Shinji's issues with his father before you really get a well rounded view of his character, which can be a bit off putting.

I think it's good to bring up the emotional stakes of the show from the get go. It's nicely fit into the episode and entertainment-wise it's a smart move to have that hook so you know from ep1 how the series is gonna be.

The first 6 episodes of NGE are so good taken as a single block it's underrated. The sort of middling Asuka/motw arc that comes straight after has nothing to do with the tone and impact of the first arc.

You dont understand dude.
Neon Genesis Evangelion and End of Evangelion is a Postmodernist retelling of the Evangelion with themes of Freudian psychology and hegelian philosophy.
It also includes themes such as judeo-christanian, evangelian charismatic, apocalyptic eschatology, gnostic idealism, leibnizian monadology, buddhistic shintoism. Kabbalistic science, traumatologic existentialism, daoistic combining, historic critical-analysis, hinduistic henotheism, old-ionistic confucianism, critical metaphysics of society, Platonian Philosophy, confuzian philosophy and theology, Augustinian Philosophy, Lutherian philosophy and theology, schopenhauer-philosophy, biblic analysis and metaphysics of theology.
Also the struggle of material [NERV(E)] vs immaterial [SEELE]

The middle arc is important to show Shinji in more varied situations, and episode 8 and 9 are fabulous in that particular regard. It makes sense to have a tone change as well since Shinji conquers his problems with piloting Eva in the first arc. My opinion on the rest of the first half is more tempered, though 10 is the only episode that I think is actually bad.

unreal user, can you do this for the whole series?

Faggots like you tend to be the first ones to break though

Or you could have just said it talks about the psychology of reality itself.

It doesnt deal with the psychology of reality because it goes past that it asks where the boundries between reality (material) and non-reality (immaterial) are and what its implications are. It is the material (DER Nerv) that only consists of the material while the immaterial (DIE Seele)is undefined and exactly that is the dilemma NGE presents us with on a more meta-level. It isnt just the psychology of reality its the psychology of existance, one could even say of everything.

>It doesnt deal with the psychology of reality because it goes past that it asks where the boundries between reality (material) and non-reality (immaterial)

There are no boundries in reality

You'd end up like Asuka.

Yeah I think they're good fun, but I also think NGE could easily do without that kind of arc and not suffer for it considering what 1-6 and then 16-26 go for.

1-6 is like "realistic super robot show with good characterization and great directing"
7-14ish is "whatever let's just fill this part up we can make it fun", 15 being a sort of prelude to the third act and existing in a limbo
16 onwards is "let's fuck everyone up including the narrative, also did u know Anno is a Stan Brahkage fan"

>Unit 02 from Germany
>Units 03 and 04 from burgerland
>Other 9 Evas from anywhere BUT Japan

I disagree. The change in tone gives us a chance to see the characters in a functional state and makes their eventual failure and decent even more heartbreaking and dramatic. I also think the cooldown time is necessary for the story to function properly. Going from one dour arc straight into another even more dour arc would just result in fatigue and probably make the viewer question what rhe purpose of the first arc even was.

When does 4.0 come out

I think there are more interesting ways of doing a 'pleasant times' arc though, episodes like 10 and 9 are very filler-ish even if 9 is kind of memorable and well-done. I don't think all that much of 11 either, and 13 is mostly cool for the scenario.

I mean I don't think anyone who liked the show will disagree that this was NOT the part that made them like it

what other anime are deeper user? no yuasa please.

My normie friends who watch basic shonens have even seen Evangelion. How the fuck are people just now watching it?

>Did I like it

Fuck off neo/a/

I just don't understand why people hype up Evangelion, they pump up how human it is but theres nothing redeeming about most characters in the show besides Misato and Asuka. And the final bullet point/metaphor for the show doesn't fix how much of a chore it was to slug through 24 episodes of an incredibly unlikeable character. MSG0079 seems to do a better job of mecha story about being depressed and having to integrate and take sides and grow as a human.

>nothing redeeming about most characters
That's the point of it they aren't ment to be

I'll disagree with that. The middle arc of the show introduces a lot of nuance and relatablility to the characters. Without the lighthearted arc a lot of the characters would come off as one note.
Also I would note that there's really nothing wrong with "filler." Episodes without significant plot progression give us time to just sit and spend time with the characters and see them in varied situations. It also allows us to cool down from or prepare for upcoming developments.

What exactly do you mean by "redeeming?" Nearly all of the characters have some endearing characteristics or at least do some endearing things from time to time.

No gendos just a dick

>not a pussy
>watches anime

Should I watch the Rebuild movies just for the dumb action?

>Pushing likeable characters = good characters meme

want to ask the same but should I watch because I want more eva or will rebuild ruin it for me
i've heard terrible things about rebuild

For real, it's not incidental that the letter was ripped up and taped back together. Or that Gendo blacked out most of a form letter and replaced it with one word written with the same marker. Shinji grew up thinking of Gendo as having murdered his mother and thrown him away and he still came.

people who complain about it expected an hour and a half long movie to get into the same level of depth that the 26 episode + movie finale that the show was able to take its time with.

The three films currently out are fine mecha anime with latin(?) chanting and alien punching. Just try not to compare it to the show.

sounds pretty cool, actually. It sounds more like Shinji was looking for a more emotional reunion with a distant father who was the head of this secret government funded organization. The hell was he expecting.

plus it makes the injured Rei scene pretty moving since Shinji pilots it for her and not for his estranged father

>normie
>Fuck off neo/a/
Impressive irony there.

>This episode plays around with the idea of "falling into the gundam cockpit", by having the young hero piss his pants the first time he does it.
That was always very common, there have been more Koji Kabutos freaking out over there bumbling accidental rampages than Amuro Rays with the manual in their lap.

>he still thinks shinji was saving the world

There's a book I could write about how retarded this comic is

It hurts how obvious it is that the writer of this comic knows nothing about the show.

Not him, but that was a common thing when I lurked Sup Forums back in 2010/2011 which I realize wasn't exactly long ago. Although no one used the word normie. The idea was the same, Sup Forums wasn't normal and we wanted to be left alone. Seperated from the normals.
tfw you'll never go back to oneech/a/n
Why do I try so hard to live
Why wont I just die

"We order them in bulk"
I chuckled.

Right, but when that happens it's usually an accident. In EVA the character is deliberately put in the driving seat without training by consent of the entire organisation.

>Shinji is just a faggot
>characters do make sense

I didn't see this parallel before, but Shinji's immediate reaction to the Mazinger-inspired reveal is checking the manual.

>sick girl
You mean broken toilet

fuck that bitch
Shinji wants best Kaworu

whatdidshesay?

I just watched the third episode. This is the cringiest show I've ever seen. Dropped.