Why do a ton of Japanese fans buy the first BD and maybe the second and then suddenly stop? Do they just want the OP/ED...

Why do a ton of Japanese fans buy the first BD and maybe the second and then suddenly stop? Do they just want the OP/ED? Did they miss the first couple eps on broadcast?

Or did they only like the first couple eps and hated the rest? It seems to me if the series turns to shit that retroactively means the first eps, which may have been good, were for nothing anyway, so it's not like there is a reason to still buy them. Do the Japanese just think differently?

Other urls found in this thread:

animenewsnetwork.com/answerman/2015-10-26/.94173
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Sometimes I hear the first ones are bundled with event tickets.

They probably want to support the industry, but DVDs are especially expensive here - they probably just rent the rest of the show from Tsutaya or Geo instead.

Usually the first BD has the best bonuses and event tickets.

If you look at a show that had a good bonus for the final volume, like Yuki Yuna, you will see it forms a little u

Curiosity buys, promotional buys, unfamiliarity buys, nostalgia buys.

Over time lack of exposure, loss of interest.

Instead of event tickets, BDs should be bundled with e-bentos. Little electronic programs that allow you to share a meal with the anime girl of your choice in a prerendered scene

Well if the girl of your choice is Liru, lucky day.

>ending higher
I always wonder if they go back and buy the volume(s) they skipped at some point.

>it forms a little u
The one which you left out from the title?

I'd say it's partially posturing but partially a function of timing of the seasons.

For posturing, they may not actually like a series that much enough to earmark $300 many months in advance on it to own it all, but, they do like it enough for whatever reason to try to shill the impression that it's a big success enough to buy the first 1-2 volumes. First is for those all-important initial sales figures, 2nd is for the follow-ups to disprove to the naysayers that it isn't just a flash in the pan in sales if that's being said a lot. Maybe their favorite seiyuu is in it, maybe it's by their favorite studio or something else is pushing their hand towards getting it because they want to be able to proudly prove they supported this series when the first-weeks vol1 sales shitposting threads pop up on 2chan/2ch.

Money is another obvious factor. If there were several shows you really want the BDs of, but they all cost equiv $50-80 a pop and you want to buy 5 shows this season, you can only stretch so far every season every year unless you are freely able to blow many thousands a year on a lark.

Additionally, if release dates for the later BD eps come out months in the future, that is going into the next season. You can't be sure there isn't going to be a better anime much more worth your money starting next season until it's actually going. Once the coast is clear that there isn't another Madoka or something else everyone must have, then you go back and finish up that series from a couple seasons ago because you still feel it totally was AOTS/Y.

I always wonder about this though. Aren't anime fags mostly 2D sexual otaku? Why do they care about VA events?

>they do like it enough for whatever reason to try to shill the impression that it's a big success enough to buy the first 1-2 volumes.
Oh god, people buying BDs just to up the sales numbers. The world has gone mad

3DPD is a modern western meme. Most japan otaku want girlfirends, but they know they can't get one, so they settle for 2D.
Western tryhards take it too far.

Wait, so everybody is lying to me and I am actually still the only one that can only get a crush on 2D characters? I always felt normal on Sup Forums.

No shit they do that; Sup Forums would too if we actively bought BDs just to rub it in peoples' faces "ha! (show) isn't a failure at all, what now?".

You know those stalker threads? Imagine how much crazier they'd be if Sup Forums was directly responsible for the results of them, instead of jeering from the side. The stakes go up in Japan because it's the real deal there. We're just a weak facsimile.

But we could be responsible for them. We just had to order BDs, but nobody does that.

There are some others but it isn't as widespread a phenomenon as Sup Forums makes it out to be.

Congratulations, you're a living joke

>rent
No, you nigger, they watch the rest on TV for free.

You got memed.

They can watch the first two eps on TV for free too

I really wish they made BD's cheaper already.

Just release all anime on some netflix like websites, nobod buys BDs anyway

Doesn't work. The current industry is just possible because non-mainstream audiences are willing to pay way more than the mainstream masses.

So yeah, don't be a poorfag.

Im not a poorfag but i just dont feel to pay that much for some discs. And dont you think it would sell more if it was more accessible for more people?

> they do like it enough for whatever reason to try to shill the impression that it's a big success enough to buy the first 1-2 volumes
Holy shit, you are fucking crazy.

>mainstream masses.
What kind of BDs do the mainstream masses in Japan even buy? J-dramas?

I kinda even buy anime but there is maybe one series a year that's good enough to warrant a purchase for me. I guess Japanese fans feel similar.
I watch a ton of anime and even enjoy around 10 of them each season, but I usually never rewatch any of it. Most anime are okay enough to watch them once when they air and discuss them a bit on Sup Forums, but I usually forget about them two weeks after they are done and see no rewatch value.

Tests were made, it doesn't work. Even the most popular shit like Steins Gate and Madoka wouldn't survive at low prices.

And do you think the Japanese fans are dumb?

This is also for this user A lot of shows are available on the web nowadays. Nico Nico has many series and all.

The fans buy the BDs because they want to support the show. That is the only reason.

>Tests were made

Got some source on that? Just curious.

>3DPD is a modern western meme.
>I have no idea what I'm talking about but I like to act like I do

No it wouldn't. Normalfags might like even buy merchandise for 2-3 series a year but no way they would support 10-20 anime per season like anime otaku does.

looking for the one of the Nip talking about how real women are dirty

Same reason there's a huge drop off for new season of a show. Sadly, people just have the attention span of a newt. And even if they really like something, don't put forward the effort to stick with it.

Fujos care more about VA events than male otaku though. Unless it is a very popular franchise like Love Live male targeted shows hardly gets event ticket boost like fujo shows do.

Do we even know how many series an avarage otaku buys a year? Because many of them probably only buy one series or something. We don't know how many otaku there are.

Otaku might really like one particular series but couldn't afford to buy that time. That's why re-release is made so fans could buy them later at a cheaper price. For example Zegapain, Chihayafuru, Seirei no Moribito got very good re-release sale.

Otaku support the industry various way. Mangafags, LNfags buy source material,pillowfuckers buy pillow, toyfuckers toy,some buy anime soundtrack, others spent money on pachinko slots, anime related games,radio programs of voice actors, stage plays. Anime earn money from various sources.

The first BD/DVD usually is the one that comes with the most bonuses.

Anime is priced in such a way that only a few thousand people need to buy the whole series in Japan for it to break even. But most people who like the show will just wait for it to be released in other regions where it's cheaper.

There's probably atleast 4-5 million anime otaku right now. The number has increased rapidly last 10-15 years and still increasing.

Rental services do exist in Japan, and they are being used. In fact, rental services still exist everywhere worldwide.

Also, many anime shows do not rerun on TV after their first airing.

Many collectors buy more than one anime per season. So they continue to buy the preferential one each volume but drop the other one after first volume.

The same actually like mainstream masses in other industrialized countries. Live action movies, domestic and foreign.

Well. We bought Watamote to success somehow.

There is also the notion to support the Industry here.

But an individual BD is not worth as much to the producers as in Japan. So it softens a bit.

Are you including foreign "otaku" (who are just casual normal anime fans calling themselves otaku for identification purpose) worldwide in your number?

animenewsnetwork.com/answerman/2015-10-26/.94173

No

What do you think it is like to be a character created only for lewd oogling?

man ibo was fucking shit. even by mecha standards

Sudoku yourself senpai

And yet when it came out everyone was fapping over it and denigrating reco

What happened in vol7 of AZ?

>fapping over it
Like that has any bearing over the quality of the shows. Look at Seed Destiny.

>denigrating reco
People have been dragging Greco in for pretty much every mecha fanbase war, even before IBO.

I don't think Tomino understood what he was getting himself into by going back into anime

g reco was shit too

and so was aldonah

i can't remember the last time i watched something /m/ that wasn't fucking trash

Star Driver. You remember now.

I think another factor is that like some say, first BD has the best goodies, and shows don't often do the "buy the whole series and get good shit" kinda thing like they're doing with JoJo Part 4. I'd say looking at those numbers at the end will be the most interesting because in addition to each volume getting cool shit, if you collect all of it you can send in a card that gets you more good shit, as one of which is a new OVA.

You watching Kuromukuro? I wouldn't say its the greatest thing ever but its certainly not trash, in my mind at least.

>everyone was fapping over it
Sup Forums faps over anything as long as there are cute girls (and boys) in them. Pick any shit show and you'll still have some faggots chiming in that his waifu is from that show.

Not on subject, but I tend to only like Mecha series where mecha isn't the focus. But when I try to watch the shows /m/ obsesses over, it just puts me to sleep. Because watching two huge machines bash each other with nothing else to drive it is about the most boring thing I can think of. Might as well just go watch a generic sports shounen because at least you'll have some character development during the fights.

I'd also say more people were complaining about IBO then praising it, I can't count how many times I saw the same type of posts calling it shit, and I'd say I enjoyed IBO despite its flaws.

i actually remember now. it was that show with bizon getting ntr'd and going HINA and hina going WATASE AOBA. i forget the name. it was decent at least

>Pick any shit show and you'll still have some faggots chiming in that his waifu is from that show.
Time to test. Who has a waifu from Captain Earth? I can't imagine anyone does.

I see you weren't in the Captain Earth threads when it aired.

Only if the studio thinks the show wouldn't sell that well without it

Given how bad its rep is I assume the threads were made to laugh at how bad it was

>Japanese human
>Using some abomination combo of a PS and Xbox 360 controller

What the

Again, doesn't stop anons from liking the girls. AZ and Valvrape has the same shit. People mocking the story and characters while at the same time being waifufags over some of the girls.

Doesn't it make them kind of sad to know their waifu is trapped in a shit series?

Is this your first week on Sup Forums or something?

No but I don't normally question waifufags

[citation needed]

International sales aren't included in those numbers. Unless you ship your BD purchase to a jp address and have it forwarded to you.

>No, you nigger, they watch the rest on TV for free.
???????
I live here. We get ten channels. Most of the anime that is popular in the West is only available on pay-per-view channels, and largely unheard of by the general population. You'll rarely find anime on tv, and even then, it'll be immediately after school or at 1 in the morning if you live somewhere that actually broadcasts that channel.