Media Reach

hooktube.com/watch?v=rsZkHrIFJxQ
^ Just saw this (it was meh).

So in the UK we get a lot of US films shown in theatre as well as films made in the UK. My Question is do films made in the UK get a lot of media attention in your country? I'm just wondering if Hollywood is pushing American made movies on us without them importing ours.

For example have you seen:
Pic related (Just came out)
Snatch
Lock-stock and two smoking barrels
James Bond
The Kings Speech
This is England
A Clockwork Orange etc.

And does your country play any commercials for British films?

Dunkirk, Harry Potter, The Lord Of The Rings etc. Don't count because they're American films.

I'm asking because I'm worried Hollywood is weaponizing the film industry to spread American propaganda while restricting the success of the British film industry?

Like I always see advertised American, Canadian and British films here, but never anything from France, Germany, Sweden, Belgium, Japan, China etc. Do they just not make good movies??? Or is this a strategic ploy to keep us in the western bubble?

I believe it depends on who does the production for the movie. Typically these big movie production companies have multiple divisions spread throughout countries.

The bigger the budget, the more marketing they can do. If they believe the movie will do well in a globally - make money, in other words, they'll export the movie to other countries.

Yes, all of those movies are quite well-known in the US. It goes both ways.

>Do they just not make good movies?
France in particular makes good movies (In my opinion) but this is an English language board/site, they're not going to get as much traction.

James Bond and clockwork orange yes. Never heard of the other stuff.

America will always control the movies because Hollywood is here but many people enjoy foreign films.

Movies are expensive to make, typically the better the movie the more money it'll cost. In Sweden, the Swedish Institute for cinematography has to team up with neighbour countries to create big blockbuster movies. The few good movies Sweden has produced such as The Girl with the dragon tattoo has been seen worldwide. That movie was only exported worldwide because of MGM & Colombia pictures.

Same thing goes for any other country. You won't see any movies from other countries unless other big player production companies want you to see it.

>watch trailer
>seems interesting
>go to tpb
>no torrents
frickin REEEEEE

Yeah but dubbed / subbed movies do just as well, Look at Pans Labyrinth for example.

But are they advertised well and played in cinemas?

But aren't you worried that because these big foreign production companies are latching on, that they'll start to have a say in the content, script, casting etc.

British films don't get much attention in tv or theater trailers, but they are always advertised in the previews on DVD / Blu-Ray. The exception being James Bond movies. Those are always an event. The Guy Ritchie films are huge cult hits here. Anything with Daniel Craig or Jason Statham will also be huge regardless of the country of origin of the film.

We catch onto British movies like a year after they come out.

From that list I've seen:

Snatch
Lock-stock and two smoking barrels
James Bond
The Kings Speech
A Clockwork Orange

>James Bond British made
>Harry Potter do sent count though
Dur What?

British-American, Warner Bros, that's why it doesn't count.

Also unrelated question is Star Wars British-American?

I'm going to say it depends on the director of the movie and what the movie is about.

I know that the U.S army made deals with Hollywood to glorify the military in exchange for equipment and vehicles.

China doesn't allow western movies to be played in China unless they work with a Chinese production studio and re-adapt the movie for a Chinese audience. Sometimes they'll replace flags, who the enemy is and so on.

When Stephen Kubrick made Eyes Wide Shut, it was a huge blow to the elite. Because their LARPing and weird cults we're being exposed. Of course, the production company decided to remove parts of the movie.

I guess the best way to spot these types of movie is too check if the director does a lot of virtue signalling and play's ball. If the mainstream media is promoting a movie you can tell there is a political message behind it.

The recent trend is to include more females and makes actors more diverse. As seen newer movies like "Get out" or Star Wars. Typically they'll demonize, glorify or normalize to promote their agenda.

I despise newer movies anyways, they all have superficial stories. Disgustingly good SFX and VFX which makes it all unrealistic because everything is just boom, pang and repeat.

>I know that the U.S army made deals with Hollywood to glorify the military in exchange for equipment and vehicles.
Is this why we never see the US army as bad guys in films? I'd love a film / video game about your home country being invaded by the evil US military, your struggle to survive as they are executing your people and destroying everything you love etc. But no one wants to do this. :P

>China doesn't allow western movies to be played in China unless they work with a Chinese production studio and re-adapt the movie for a Chinese audience. Sometimes they'll replace flags, who the enemy is and so on.
Again, I can imagine this happening here, just behind closed doors. "Err yeah I like your script, but could you change the location to a major western city please? I'll pay you a shit load"

>The recent trend is to include more females and makes actors more diverse. As seen newer movies like "Get out" or Star Wars. Typically they'll demonize, glorify or normalize to promote their agenda.
I fully agree.

>I despise newer movies anyways, they all have superficial stories. Disgustingly good SFX and VFX which makes it all unrealistic because everything is just boom, pang and repeat.
I partially agree, sometimes we get gems, but it is very rare.

Soon.

Also this might interest Sup Forums in the original trailer they had a line "We should have gone to vegas instead", they removed that part of the trailer ;)

A clockwork Orange is a Hollywood movie right? Made by Stanley Kubrick, right?? That's not a British movie just because it has British people in it it's a jew Hollywood movie just like Barry Lyndon and 2001 space odyssey sorry m8

Woops put it in the wrong section, good spot.

Side question, if British people worked on the movie and made up a large percentage of the staff, is it British?

Like Lord Of The Rings, is that an American film series, New Zealand, British???

Is Game Of Thrones Irish?

Your worries are real and valid.
Seen all the bond, heard of snatch and lock-stock. Most foreign films here are relegated to art houses/independent theaters, and most do not show stateside the same time they premiere in their country of origin. I have to stay vigilant if I want to make sure I don't miss a foreign film, keeping note of what the independent/art theaters in my area are showing, as I don't watch television, yet when I did I rarely saw trailers for foreign movies. I will say though, British movies are the most likely foreign movies to get major commercial attention here

Good question. I've always considered LotR to be Hollywood just shot in another country. I guess this is due to the l it being made by a Hollywood director, but maybe I shouldn't. But I will say that Hollywood travels, if you will, like got instance a movie shot in New York with most of the crew being local to New York will most likely still be considered Hollywood unless it's an independent film

And you'd expect in the UK it would be the same, lots of British movies with foreign films as the small exceptions. But it isn't, our cinema is dominated by US films. I'd even say British films are the obscure ones in our own country.

> like got instance a movie shot in New York with most of the crew being local to New York will most likely still be considered Hollywood unless it's an independent film
I never really thought of this issue in terms of states. I always assumed most Americans think "Still shot in America, so it's not foreign / competition" even though it was made like 1000 miles away on the other coast.

Unrelated but another that upsets me with the states is: Movie monsters always attack Los Angles, New York etc. Why can't Godzilla attack Cleveland, Ohio for once.

>our cinema is dominated by US films.
I figure that is due to the sheer amount of movies we put out over here that are high budget (also no language barrier)
>I never really thought of this issue in terms of states
That's why I mention it, to try and illustrate the idea that Hollywood is way father reaching than just a city in southern California. While it reaches very far globally most of the money and influence is still centralized in that city in southern California. Hollywood is kind of like to movies what people would say "AAA" is to videogames.

Honestly m8 when it comes to film at this point I go old and I mean really old. Used to be jews couldn't live in Beverly hills, back in the silent era. I say dive into obscurity, stay purely local, or forsake the whole thing. Hopefully in doing so you are able to find enough genuinely good and interesting films that you can spread them to those you know

Kek I agree, strongly. They attack LA because they don't want to leave home or NY because it's """the most important city""" (which they also live in) in all honesty most of it has to do with taxes and budget, a reason that Georgia has started getting more movies and shows. Funny enough, Godzilla is originally a Hollywood idea.

I can't, these huge big budget Goliaths are too tempting not to see.

>I figure that is due to the sheer amount of movies we put out over here that are high budget (also no language barrier)
You know how a lot of countries call us a vassal state and we're a bit too close politically with the US. I blame this, i think the Anglosphere are in a bubble.

I thought of a better example for Americans. Grand Theft Auto 5 is developed by Rockstar North (A Scottish / UK Company), But it is owned by Rockstar (American). But GTA is considered British? (It's also funny that one of our biggest commercial exports is a piss take of the US)

Didn't the creator say he was influenced by the US nuking Japan and Godzilla represents nukes or something?

>They attack LA because they don't want to leave home or NY because it's """the most important city""" (which they also live in) in all honesty most of it has to do with taxes and budget
Yeah and most of the time it's green screened and not even filmed on location, for example bits of The Avengers and Jurassic World have been filmed in the woods near me (Which makes no fucking sense to me, is it too hard to find a local forest).

Also I saw bits of The Beast from 20,000 fathoms the other day, member stop motion? Was probably amazing at the time though.