youtube.com/watch?v=yJmeIWlAKB4
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

>dies 3 times before noticing that he can respawn

Yeah I'm sorry Subaru isn't a mary sue like you're used to

yea for fucking real

>Wanting a Mary Sue NEET

Isn't it like 99.8% of anime?

We can't all be flawless Kirito trash

There are people in this world called "normal". You know, not being a genius while not being a retard. You are probably normal, but right now you're being a retard.

Hijacking this thread. Post idiots done right. I start.

>while not being a retard
You'd probably do even worse in his place, I know most people would. Not everyone is like Guts.

Considering how """smart""" he was in ep. 13, I highly doubt any user would do worse or even as bad as this fucking cretin.

he's literally the best thing about the show , no joke

Middle grounds degenerate into Kirito flavored trash.

Naruto did it. Luffy eventually will.

>Implying Sup Forums has better social skills than Subaru

>implying your typical Sup Forumsutist is as detached from reality / unaware of his position as Nissan

Aaaaah, please shut up. I'm tired of this argument.

Subaru is clearly the result of poor writing. He is not stupid because he is more HUMAN or some shit that you insist in believing. He is stupid for the sake of plot. And that's it.

All of us here are HUMAN too. C'mon, we're in Sup Forums, many here have more than 20 years. WE ARE HUMAN, WE ARE NEET, OTAKUS, FILLED WITH FLAWS. So, if we can see that the guy is a retard, it means that his idiocy is beyond normal.

>Naruto = Kirito
He only gets as far as he does because of the help of others. He has plenty of faults and he knows it. How is that nearly as Gary Stu as Kirito?

Well sorry for liking tales about brave/skilled people who aren't kiritos but aren't idiots either. I'll just go read something related to office work or something.

>social skills
literally the only social skill he has is being able to talk

he's socially retarded in every other facet

Soldiers get used to death just by seeing it, this guy is a pussy who can respawn at checkpoints and still gets scared shitless after 6 times and never takes advantage of it.

The average LN reader in nipnog land unironically like SAO so might as well make him a Subaru flavored mouth breather.

Naruto became super JnJ god that JnJ'd almost everyone. Also "the coolest guy" happened.

>Naruto became super JnJ god that JnJ'd almost everyone. Also "the coolest guy" happened.
Sure, he became Ninja Jesus, but he still would have been killed several times over if it weren't for his comrades' help. It's essentially the point of his character: He succeeds because he has his friends to back him up.

Also, what does Obito have to do with anything?

>Not raping every loli in town and going allah akbar to rewind time after confirming checkpoint

Long stories can't keep their middle grounds stable. Eventually they crack and become the devil everyone hates.

Subaru's not stupid, he's actually doing considerably well considering the pressure he's been put into. You can't expect someone to act reasonably after experiencing death and seeing other people die so many times. That's what makes him a character the audience can relate to and his experiences so vivid and powerful.

Why exactly doesn't he just grind like an absolute madman like in All You Need is Kill?

The only reason Kirito defeated the rape pixie was because retarded sidetrack arc ended up mattering, Asuna sneaking out a key card, and the ghost of an arc villain.

He's still a sue and face of how not to write anyone.

what pressure?? HE CAN FUCKING RESPAWN!
Go read ajin or watch edge of tomorrow

Because he's an idiot. I understand the mental stress of looping every time, but the guy in all you need is kill cracked after 100+ times. Subaru didn't even loop 5 times before going mental.

>HE CAN FUCKING RESPAWN
Except after a certain point that becomes even worse than death.

He notices after the second time he just couldn't believe it and gets stabbed in the back while coming to terms with it. Sure he's a little slow but it makes him adorable so it's okay.

I'm fairly sure that "certain point" isn't after only a few loops.

Witch's Stench hasn't made timelines unwinnable yet.

When will the author make that matter to make timelines harder to win?

The way I see it, the issue is less cracking in the sense of "I can no longer function" and more "I have completely lost the ability to empathize with people and am now a total sociopath" so that even if he succeeds it will be meaningless to him because he can just reload his save and try another outcome

Basically he doesn't want to become that flower from undertale

Yeah, but it's been consistent in Naruto's case. Even during the final battle he would have been entirely fucked on his own.

I think feeling the pain of being brutally murdered several times as well as seeing people you care about being slaughtered over an over while becoming more and more unsure whether there's anything you can do to change it has got to do things to your mind. Personally I think the guy's pretty stupid, but I wouldn't underestimate the effects of the shit he's been through.

You go through an alley and dies stabbed. Then you "wake up". You become confused about what happened. What do you do?

> Gary-stu
"Oh, I get it! I can go back in time whenever I die. Hehe I already know what I'll do, I'll suddenly wake up the secret magic of the elves and win those who stabbed me."

> Normal people
"Wha ... What happened? That's weird! I don't understand, but just in case, it is best to avoid going that way..."

> Subaru
"Hey, I died? Nah ... I'll do it again."

>only a few loops
Not everyone is like Guts.

So the more he respawns, the harder the game gets, up to the point where he's just gonna get spawnkilled for eternity

Is that the gist of it?

Well i for sure thank the gods not everyone is like subaru.

If this guy went full Practical Incarnation, this series would be 1000% better.

Gary-stu sounds hilarious but it seems more like Subaru's gorilla strength used by a Kirito minded guy then when random mugger boss shows up he gets fire punches by saying something chuuni by "sheer accident".

Supposedly.

It hasn't mattered yet.

Be shocked for the few first times, sure. But after 3+ times? People aren't that frail, and in reality there's no reloading.

>dies at mansion, because he doesnt have anything to back him up
>twice
>goes there one more time

This is a very interesting turn the story could have taken, he doesn't give a shit anymore and thinks of people as NPCs. I would've liked reading something like this.

>no pressure
>all the bullshit he has to deal with in this arc to make sure everyone survives.
He's by far the weakest character with no real way to fight back, all he has going for him is a little knowledge. It isn't about his own survival either as he can just leave if he felt like it unlike other loopers and his checkpoints move.

So good, rewatching right now.

The point is that he knows he is weak and he will end up dying, but he keeps doing it. You know what Shinji does when he realizes that the situation is bigger than he can handle? HE RUNS AWAY! Subaru continues entering into the robot. Plus, he does it for people he just met (and who tried to kill him). The resilience of the character is ridiculous.

That's the point, you have endless possibilities, you can try literally everything, he even has the advantage of saving after a favourable outcome, but he doesn't even stop 2 seconds to think at all.

Like I said, undertale already kind of did this, but it would be pretty surreal seeing some of the actions he would start to take.

Especially when he becomes a complete monster and starts killing and maiming people for the fuck of it

Better than a MC that has ability to learn from mistakes lower than a fucking mouse.

>People aren't that frail
I don't know, I think plenty of people would be severely mentally fucked after all that.

Are you fucking retarded? He TRIED to give up, like 2 episodes ago. Shinji had no one support him, Subaru on the other hand has Rem and Emilia. The fact that he helps people he doesn't know just shows that he has empathy, nothing wrong with that.

I agree. I'm saying it would be neat to see the progression. At first, he grinds to help his quest. Then maybe he goes around keeps resetting things until he knows exactly what to say to each person.

Then he starts to manipulate people with knowledge he shouldn't have. Eventually, after seeing his loved ones die a thousand times. he becomes desensitized to their plight. Then he realizes that he is a being on a different level than anyone else. Once he can no longer empathize with Emilia, shit will hit the fan.

I could never empathize with Emilia. Saint-like girls like her just give me the creeps. When she said something about "you help me for you own good" or something to subaru i was about to punch the screen.

I think muvluv alternative is very related to this topic. When the MC sees his teacher/superior die he crumbles completely, but after he sees her original version alive and well he ricovers. With the reloading ability, death of loved ones loses meaning.

Do you know of a ln with such a setting?

Other than the fact that he mentally can't handle continuously looping he does early on think of just waiting for death when it was peacefully in his bed but he gets worried when he's killed by a wrecking ball out because dying hurts. Also there is less benefit in waiting because details change and the loops quickly diverge.

>The fact that he helps people he doesn't know just shows that he has empathy, nothing wrong with that.
No, that's plot convenience.It is an excuse that the author managed for him to continue doing shit. He falls in love at first sight by Emilia and continues taking care of the maid who tried to kill him. A normal guy, especially when facing risk situations, learn to not trust so much so much in anybody. But Subaru believes in everything, because if he didn't, there would be no story. Again, it's plot convenience. He's stupid because the author need that and not because he is normal/human/empathic.

It's like these romcoms where the characters can never confess. There are people who believe this is normal.

It's still some fucked up stuff to see. I guess some people might get over that quickly, but I think plenty would still take permanent mental damage from that.

I was starting to believe i was the abnormal one for not giving a shit about Emilia and the maids. Thank you user.

I suggest you play it if you haven't done so already. I cried like a bitch two times with that game, even with the walking dead i just cried at the end.

Perhaps. I watched a bit of the anime but it didn't quite feel like my cup of tea. Thanks for the suggestion, though.

Just because it's a plot convenience it doesn't make the show any less good. Most stories are ridden with them but people are still able to suspend their disbelief, whining about them to such an extent is just nit-picky.

He fell for her because she was the first girl to give a shit about him instead of being judgmental and was genuinely nice. He's stupid because he's emotional, empathy driven and highschool dropout but yes if he wasn't any of these things the plot would end after his first death as he promptly leaves town.

If you're talking about Total Eclipse it's bound to be terrible, like every anime taken from visual novels. The games are an entirely different matter. The protagonist is a good example of a guy that isn't anything like a genius, but thinks about what to do with knowledge from the future and taking advantage of his past experiences, going from a normal student to a veteran soldier. He's everything subaru isn't.

youtube.com/watch?v=ZK8JPpSZrzM
Guu Hare

He can respawn and still fucks it up by being a cringy faggot.
If he was smart he would've killed himself after episode 13.
Actually scratch that, if he was smart he wouldn't need to do it to begin with.

If there was a problem that you were completely aware of that was about to happen to a person--that problem being death--would you really just turn your back on them, even if you didn't know them?

Would you really just turn your back like an edgelord knowing that you let those people die without doing anything, knowing that you could have?

youtube.com/watch?v=yJmeIWlAKB4
Or this.

When the op is a fucking idiot

>if he was smart he wouldn't need to do it to begin with
t. edgelord

>the plot ends after leaving town
Why is that? It's not like there's a black screen that goes "game over" after he takes a step from the town. It would actually be interesting to see him get away from the obvious track the author made.

He was always okay with death or he would leave he's not okay with suicide or dying for the sake of experimentation.

What the fuck are you even saying.
Are all the fans of this shit terminally retarded?

It's called being a stranger. You don't give a shit about people you met for the first time. Stop going "hurr durr you are an edgelord", it's you who can't even comprehend the reality you're in.

Episode 18 and people still think like this.

It's like everyone who wants to criticize Subaru's character fail to realize his motivation.
Go rewatch the first couple of minutes of episode one, and take a closer look to his eyes. Those are the eyes of someone who's dead inside. As soon as he gets teleported to Lugunika, his eyes start to shine again.

At first, Subaru was excited because he thought it was a dream-like situation where he could be the hero he always wanted, correcting the shitty life he has led so far, and he acts acording to that, saving the day and stuff. It is exactly that mindset that makes him a complete jackass in arc 3: his pride as a self-proclaimed knight.

Then, as he spends time in the mansion, he gets emotionally invested. If he felt atraction to Emilia's good will, he completely fell for her with the lap-pillow thing.

>and continues taking care of the maid who tried to kill him.
He was scared as fuck, but he also knew that Rem and Ram were good people (the hand holding scene confirms that for him), but more important than that, he wanted a place in the mansion, that is why he tried so hard to gain everyone's trust, especially Rem's.

Yeah right, always okay. he absolutely doesn't scream at rem after she killed him. Yep.

There is no story if he chose to just leave as soon as he respawns the first time and decides Emilia isn't worth being stabbed over.

Yes, do you even need to ask? Every fucking time he respawns it's the same scene where subaru hugs rem/emilia or any other female character near him because even though he already respawned dozens of time somehow he's still surprised when this shit happens

You don't give a shit about people you just met possibly dying?

I thought you were going to mention the whale as that is the one time his survival instincts take over.

Watch that scene again he is a-okay with being killed by Rem at first but he starts crying when he realizes that Rem only pretended to like him.

>You don't give a shit about people you met for the first time
Granted, yes, but the one shit I give to anyone regardless of that is that I hope they don't die.

>it's you who can't even comprehend the reality you're in
Are we going artsy high school literary phrases now?

This is something you decided. There is always a story, this is just one you don't want to see.

Nah, i don't give a shit.
Cut the crap user, you know very well people don't give much of a shit about each other if not after spending a long time together, otherwise you wouldn't be here.

>I think feeling the pain of being brutally murdered several times
>it has got to do things to your mind.
No its get easier
Source: ajin
Also actually believable and relatable mc, unlike re:zero retard.

He doesn't hug them because he's surprised. Do you not understand human emotions?

Well we've confirmed you're an edgelord, I suppose.

I like Ajin and I agree Kei handles it better. But nonetheless, not everyone would react the same to such a scenario.

if you know someone who will be killed by a guy with a machine gun, you may even want to help, but since you are a weak human, powerless, you will not. fear will stop you. now, imagine a dangerous magic monsters in the place of the man with a gun.

>hurrrrrrrrrr eddegelordddd!! Muh empathyyyyy
I suppose you are one of those guys that photoshop anime characters in their selfies for feeling less alone.

If he kept respawning he could have some fun but Satella might take the curse from him and give it to a new pawn who does what she wants instead.

But he is a Mary sue

Mary sues are often op but that doesn't make a Mary sue.

You could have them be the weakest character in the series and they can still be a sue.

>Nah, i don't give a shit.
what is empathy

we all know this guy is b8 right

>Actually believable and relatable mc
This has to be bait. The guy gets tortured only to act like nothing happen when he gets released?
>relatable
So, do you have an imouto that hates your guts?

That's just an if. Now that i think about it, the author made puck conveniently destroy the world after emilia was killed. So i guess that even if the mc wanted, he couldn't just go away. Great.

>this guy doesn't think like me, must be b8

You're pretty defensive, aren't you? For someone who can't invest their emotions in others, you've sure invested a lot of your emotion into this thread.

Now the recent criticism is now that Subaru is bipolar. Switching emotions too many times making him inconsistent.
> Episode 7, he became depressed and should have stayed depressed.
He felt that people didn't care about him considering of what he believes were his achievements that made him feel like he existed. When he remembered the hands, he truly felt like he mattered.
> Episode 8 being so eager to please and calming down.
The shamac kind of triggered him and learning of Satella made him realize that he needed to work harder until he calmed down.
> Episode 15, Outburst and shock
He was faking his shock and focused on faking to receive sympathy. He couldn't turn away from Rem trying to save him but he inherently being selfish in wanting to be acknowledged.
> Episode 18 Being depressed and getting back up.
He realized that he was truly worthless. He feels that his existance does not matter to others other than Rem and choosing her to run away with him. No one expects anything from him. No one except Rem herself, who cared for Subaru and sees him as a hero. Subaru felt acknowledgement and expectation and is willing to become a hero for Rem.
Subaru is complicated. His desire for wanting to be recognized turns into vanity and essentially clouds his emotions if he does not calm down.

how is he fucking surprised? He resurrected how many times already? He knows how this shit works, he already killed himself just to respawn once, why is he still surprised?

I'll be honest this anime is not so bad but it has some huge holes when it comes to character development. Subaru starts out like a normal guy, he gets teleported into this world and he thinks he's the hero, so he follows Emilia etc.. etc.. Fine, then he gets killed 2-3 times and realizes he basically respawns. Ok, now maybe he should stop being so surprised whenever he dies? Also what the fuck was the whole mind-break episode, it made no fucking sense. He got fucked, he finally regained his sanity and looked like he was going to be serious from now on, and then he just goes back to being useless? Then after all that shit he just wants to run away with Rem? And why the fuck is Puck so useless? So he's so strong he can destroy the world, but he can't protect Emilia?

>The guy gets tortured only to act like nothing happen when he gets released?
He more than once stated that he would rather never experience it again and burst in tears when Satou rescued him. What else the fuck do you want?

Subaru has unlimited time but could he really train something to mastery? Although memories are in fact physical I feel like it's one of those bullshit time travel concepts where he retains all of his brain but no other physical change.