ITT: Mary Sues done horribly wrong

ITT: Mary Sues done horribly wrong

Mary Sues are *inherently* done wrong

Tamblar

Background joke characters that get shat on all the time and will never accomplish their dreams can't be Mary Sues

Mary Sues are made to be raped.

I don't even know what Mary Sue means anymore

If they are unbeatable or bend the plot to their whims they are sues/stus.

All you have to do is be at least one of them.

>Hajime

>Let's eren 'die'
>Gets so depressed over his 'death' she almost dies
>Causes eren to go berserk when he tries to block the hole
>Let's the garrison squad she was with get entirely destroyed
>Let's eren get captured twice

The only thing of worth she's done in the series is finish off reiner's titan. If she's a mary sue then levi/eren must be ascended mary sues.

Does she ever fuck Eren?

>If they are unbeatable or bend the plot to their whims they are sues/stus.
this

some dumbasses always insist that mary sues must fit dozens of ridiculous criterias which no character fulfills and would make the term useless. but to me its "bending the plot to their whims" or rather "the plot is significantly in their favor". so when a loser gets a harem and special snowflake abilities I consider that a sue

>levi/eren must be ascended mary sues.
They are nothing compared to Armin

Basically a character that is constantly catered to by the writer, beyond what would make sense for the story.
Saitama isn't a Mary Sue because despite his powerlevel he has problems (e.g. everyone thinks he's a fake, he has no drive, etc.).
While a character like Kirito is a mary sue, because his actions tend to not make sense in the world of the story, but still end up with him winning (e.g. coming back from the dead with sheer force of will, being able to hack SAO from inside the game, his ridiculous harem in a "realistic" narrative, etc.).

How is he a mary sue? He never has asspull moments

>everyone thinks he's a fake, he has no drive
ohhh boy what ridiculous problems he has! the others dont recognize how OP he is and he does not even have to try to be OP

Saitama is a sue. stop being in denial

>even doesn't die
>she doesn't die
>she gets saved
>doesn't care that they all died
>eren comes back twice

Face it,she has never suffered in this entire Manga. The recent Shit with Armin really pissed me off as well. In the end,everything goes her way.

Hah,read the manga.

>He never has asspull moments
He survived a 50m fall and third degree burns.

And it all ended with getting rewarded with titan powers and all other characters wanking about how great he is with the MC even calling him the true savior of mankind.

list of words Sup Forums mongoloids have emptied of all meaning after overusing them:
>mary sue/gary stu
>self insert
>edgy
>cuck

Mate I've read the manga.
You can't just evade an argument by telling someone "Go read the manga", it just makes you look bad because you can't string together an argument.

>she has never suffered in this entire Manga
Pretty sure she watched her parents get brutally murdered right in front of her.

Besides, the only thing she wants is her husbando's dick, which she will never get because he is a homo that doesn't give a shit about her.

It pissed me off as well how Eren didn't seem to give a Shit that Erwin literally lost an arm for him and saved him from being dissected.

>so when a loser gets a harem and special snowflake abilities I consider that a sue
Really it depends on the presentation of the subject, rather than the subject itself.
If the harem and special snowflake abilities are written with a certain realism (there's a justification for it, the character reacts realistically, their actions still have consequences) then it's fine, but once you start getting into the lightnovel bullshit where the MC is constantly getting jerked off by the narrative then they're a sue.

None of the things you listed dictate her being a mary sue though.

And she gets adopted by a loving family and falls in love with her "brother"

She never loses.

>written with a certain realism
okay how is getting special snowflake abilities and a harem "realistic"?

I have no respect for lazy people just like I have no respect for lazy fictional characters and I despise fictional characters who get much more than they deserve because it panders to obnoxious neets

She's literally untouchable and can avoid getting out of any situation. Not to mention how she was the best in her class for no good reason.

>He survived a 50m fall

Look up Vesna Vulovic.

>and 3rd degree burns

People survive that shit all the time. He had basically no organ damage aside from his lungs, and the body can survive for quite a while on low oxygen.
The biggest killer with burns is fluid loss, followed by infection. Both of which take quite a while to kill you.

He's the only person in SnK that isn't mentally retarded mentally. If anyone deserved that serum it was him.

The same thing it always has. Their flaws aren't real flaws, they warp the established rules of the universe so they always come out on top, and everyone loves them. If someone doesn't love them, the plot goes out of its way to prove that they're wrong for not loving the Mary Sue.

People who use the term like it means "any character I don't like" are wrong, plain and simple.

how about you jump down 50m to prove your point?

Nice argument, you didn't do well in school did you?

No one respects Saitama

of?

Arminfag, please. Your copypasta in the SnK thread convinced nobody that surviving all that wasn't bullshit. Trying again here isn't going to change anything.

ok kid

have you jumped yet?

First of all I don't post on SnK threads normally because of degenerates such as yourself.

Secondly if you don't think it's possible to survive a 50m drop then you're a few steps away from being considered a vegetable in my book.

>okay how is getting special snowflake abilities and a harem "realistic"?
I mean "realistic" in an emotional sense, where the characters and the world are portrayed in a way that makes sense to the audience,
White Album 2 is "realistic" in its portrayal of a love triangle, because the characters are all acting like regular human beings even if the story itself is somewhat retarded.
Something like Tatami Galaxy isn't realistic in the literal sense because you obviously can't travel through alternate universes, but the character motivations are incredibly realistic (wanting to fit in and have friends), and the story occurs as a result of the main character's wants rather than the author wanting the character to be good at shit.

I feel like Evangelion would be a good example of emotional realism, but I haven't seen it so I can't really comment.

Clearly not, I'd be unconscious or dead by now if I had. How do you manage to get triggered so hard by losing an argument?
Just accept your defeat, learn from it and move on. No-one likes a sore loser.

Genos does.

Well it originated from fanfiction; and it was basically a character who's very existence was a black hole of plot. Everything revolves around them, other characters are defined by their relationship with the sue, the plot is driven by the sue and probably exists entirely because of the sue.

A character is written for a story, a sue has the story written for them.

>Not Armin
Delete this thread.

>dead by now if I had
see, you just admitted that you cant just survive a 50m fall

game over kiddo

Would Harry Potter count?

>unconscious or dead
1st graders can read better than you.

These days when someone says Mary Sue, what they mean is "competent character I don't like".

No one respects Onii-sama.

I'm off now, hope you had a good fishing session.

No, he has actual struggles and personal growth over the course of the books

Having bland and stereotypical characters is a point of that series.

Absolutely.

What about GOOD Mary sues/Gary Stu

>Mary Sue stories—the adventures of the youngest and smartest ever person to graduate from the academy and ever get a commission at such a tender age. Usually characterized by unprecedented skill in everything from art to zoology, including karate and arm-wrestling. This character can also be found burrowing her way into the good graces/heart/mind of one of the Big Three [Kirk, Spock, and McCoy], if not all three at once. She saves the day by her wit and ability, and, if we are lucky, has the good grace to die at the end, being grieved by the entire ship.

She fails at everything that isn't fighting and she loses constantly.

What happens if a story has a girl who has the qualities of a mary sue, but she ends up fawning over a random bland male character? Does that negate her sue-ness?

>He's the only person in SnK that isn't mentally retarded mentally
Only when he is around and he has to be a special snowflake genius.

Plenty of characters show off intelligence whenever there is no need for an obligatory "LOOK. Armin said something logical!!!!! Isn't he smart????" moment