Why does the coloring in late 80's & 90's anime look so much cooler than new anime...

Why does the coloring in late 80's & 90's anime look so much cooler than new anime? Everything looks really clean and bright in a bad way now. Just because you go digital doesn't mean you have to make everything so vibrant like rainbow glow effects.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=YWy5wAwQuT4
animenewsnetwork.com/news/2007-08-29/sazae-san-is-last-tv-anime-using-cels-not-computers
twitter.com/AnonBabble

It's easier to create a good palette with traditional methods, but no clue why so many studios screw up. Over reliance on filters, maybe?

At least there's one upcoming exception.
youtube.com/watch?v=YWy5wAwQuT4

Explain to me how that's an exception if you're not being ironic, I'm interested.

The colors actually seems interesting but you can see that in few recent anime already, and it doesn't look like cel palette either.

I wish they would back off on the gradients and glows.

Pic unrelated.

because you'er a cherry picking old fag who compares high budget ovas developed in an economic boom to TV budget shows in an economic low.

you phenomenal faggot

They actually had talent back then.

Not all of the scenes are 10/10, but the colors at the times 20, 29, 43 are good. I'm not great at explaining things, but compare them to pic related, which aired last season, and you'll see the difference.

No I get it.

Is it possible that even back then, creators wanted bright colors but everything just became a bit dull since it was traditionally painted? With a computer, they have no limit and can freely brighten it as much as they want.

I say this because I do art in both digital and traditional mediums and whenever I do my watercolor paintings, let's say I'm aiming for a nice bright red, but the paint dries up and it's a bit duller than I expected. I usually move on and I approve of it because it looks good but it wasn't what I was aiming for. If I were to color the same thing on the computer though, I know I would've wanted that strong bright red because I can edit it endlessly.

Maybe the limits of traditional paint caused the beauty we appreciate in older anime colors now. Sometimes artists need some of their options taken away or else they make the wrong decisions.

Traditional colors have limited range and traditional artists know it and use it wisely most of the time I think.

Digital is potentially better but as you can see, whether it is in terms of detail, contrast levels, color palette or anything, it is often under the best cel production.

But there are of course also well produced digital anime in those terms. I don't have names in mind though, maybe Uchouten Kazoku or obviously Makoto Shinkai's.

I don't know why so much of the digital production is of lower quality color wise though. I think that even the cheap TV cels have more interesting palette than cheap TV digital.

Also it looks brighter on a screen (especially modern I guess) than the real thing anyway.

Dem reds

Colorido and Bones generally have good palettes. Shaft used to be good with unnatural colors, but is less so lately.

you are a hipster that is why

OH LOOK ANOTHER COMPARING OVAS TO TV SHOWS THREAD

What you're talking about is nostalgia.

I like the digital stuff they've been doing the past 10 years. It's cleaner and cheaper to produce and far better in animation quality and fluidity. I'd rather have this than he old school means. It helps to move on user.

It's not just nostalgia.

Color palette is one thing, and I do think new stuff is too bright a lot of the time, but most of the stuff posted ITT doesn't look good just because of the actual colors chosen, it looks good because it's fucking well-drawn stuff with detail and detailed coloring, and that's because you're posting high-budget OVAs and shit.

Non conformist, are you?

But it objectively looks better. Don't be in denial.

It has nothing to do with that. Modern OVAs are bright as shit too.

Cherrypicking

High budget/high effort anime looks as good now as it did then.

That's not really what's being said here. Digital coloring is lacking, but on the whole the move to digital has been a good thing.

>I like the stuff that is currently popular
>nonconformist
What? He's not the one complaining about how 80s direct-to-VHS shows were the best and the current industry is bad.

Yeah I know. I don't have any cheap stuff saved

Hand-painted background art is brilliant and beats a lot of the bland digital backgrounds we commonly see these days, but I don't care much for cel-painted animation on the other hand. The benefits of digital composite in particular is far superior to the old method of filming cels due to increased accuracy and flexibility.

That's trendy to like older things

This. Compare color palette with shots of otherwise similar visual quality, that's how you control for this stuff.

True. I like seeing hand painted background in digital anime.

But digital backgrounds can be good too. It's just not the same charm.

One thing I appreciate A LOT in recent anime is the line art.

Back then and especially in remastered version (because I'm not that old), the grains and holes in the line gives some depth to the art (but some people don't like that you're being conscious that this is art, actually, when you can see the flaws).

In the 2000's digital era, most line art were 1px width black boring line, but now there's more and more anime with width variation that reminds traditional ones, even emulating brushes sometimes or things like that.

About the fact that some people don't like when "the flaws shows", I think that a reason a lot of us like older anime because "the flaws shows" precisely. I recently read an article about the last cel produced anime (Sazae-san) and the guy defending it was spot-on, the flaws gives human warmth. animenewsnetwork.com/news/2007-08-29/sazae-san-is-last-tv-anime-using-cels-not-computers

>The subtle flickering of lines adds warmth to the images. It gives the viewers a sense of familiarity and security.

I either tend to not like it as much when it's too perfect, like in... Kyoto Animation's, which is one of my favorite studio, I'd love them if it weren't for that sense of inhumanity and dishonesty in the final product (even though the fact that they give it their all is a proof of honesty so my position is difficult).

Bright seems worried about that skull-masked figure.

>The subtle flickering of lines adds warmth to the images. It gives the viewers a sense of familiarity and security.
Stuff like that is really subjective to be honest. While I appreciate seeing the artist's "hand" in the form of varying line weight, stuff like dust on cels and obvious cel layers have no appeal to me and only serve as a reminder of the technological limitations. There's nothing visually appealing about that.

What about JoJo? It often has more shading than normal for today's anime

It's a matter of taste I guess.
The colors of older anime often look garish or overly saturated to me. There's stuff with nice colors from any time though.

David Production finally got the colors right in Part 4. The older parts haphazardly vomited colors all over the place.

>Stuff like that is really subjective to be honest.

Sure I agree.

I personally don't appreciate dust, and the cel layers is really a sign of technological limitation even if I don't really care.

I think there are other signs, but like you said the artist's hand is more visible in traditional and that alone gives it more warmth maybe.

But I don't really know.

Not really related to cel limitations even if it's harder to produce cels so maybe more frequent (but they could very well do that with digital and limited time), is the creative way to solve problems, like the harmony cel to save seconds of animation while creating an impactful still frame of the moment that is memorable. Or things like Anno's tricks in Evangelion like the elevator scene. That also gives a sense of warmth I guess but that's not too related, more about direction here.

Yeah Jojo's great though I think the backgrounds contrasts too much with the characters. Bland. The backgrounds of Kabaneri were impressive when I compared them to Boku no Hero Academia's the last season.

I think it has something to do with the limits of budget and the fact that color inks are different prices. Common colors being more expensive, they used the cheaper more interesting stuff and developed their own unique styles.

When you have everything at your fingertips digitally, you don't see that nearly as much. It's find of like how the original Star Wars had a lot of cool shit done out of cheapness (blasters being old WWII and WWI prop guns with more shit plastered on etc.) so it's iconic, yet the prequels had the best CGI and it just doesn't have that same feel, not even to someone like me who liked the prequels.

Yeah, that's creatively solving artistic constraints, it can lead to really interesting results.

A lot of artists do that voluntarily too.

>sacrificing beauty and quality for sterility and quantity

millenials everyone

Part 1 was the best colourwise IMHO.

The colors are just more prominent, i.e. they come out better than their older CEL animated counterparts. They can make better use of lighting and effects to complement the story.

Kyoani is not concerned anyway they don't fail

Of course.

In my opinion, it will just loop back.

70's shows were also VERY colorful, but with time it just saturates.

God fucking dammit, the person who made that list has never watched a show from the 60's for sure.

>having different values than me

Every generation other than mine everyone.

Or you know, could it been just poor transfers?

CAN'T STAND THIS SHIT