Urusei Yatsura 35th Anniversary Live Stream

A little bit early, but it's been 35 years since this anime aired, and I don't think Sup Forums has ever really celebrated it. For those who haven't seen it, it was a hugely influential anime, and that influence is still being felt by the industry today.

For those who haven't seen it, now's the perfect chance to give it a shot. Hopefully it will encourage you to pick up the BDs.

Live Stream Link: docs.google.com/document/d/1ZE3KsBWTXuMqIYFIbPdzXNH65xiauoexQkiAzyap__8/edit?usp=sharing

Pastebin alternative: pastebin.com/54gfAHjx

Only live streaming the first 17 episodes, so we'll see how it goes. I make absolutely no profit or gain any benefits from doing this; my sole motivation is to celebrate this classic anime.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=HMZx5Q286mo
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Are BDs still being worked on?

holy fucking shit hype

I'd have thought they'd be done by now.

>tfw most of Sup Forums would rather shitpost than watch a great anime

why can't you post the link directly here?

It's a Cytube link. Triggers Sup Forums's spam filter.

Cytube is just a sync service too. It's far better than conventional streaming through Twitch.

it was a hugely influential anime, and that influence is still being felt by the industry today

Yeah, it fucking started the whole harem shit..

This anime is shit though.

I'll bump it.

It's time to kill yourself.

I don't like this series

You can't kill what's already dead, user.

But it's not a harem, it's a pure comedy.

>"it's not a harem" defense again

It's To Love-Ru tier for old people.

Yeah, shit.

Do you know what a harem is?

that's not a defense either

what an awful comparison

>that music
>those sound effects
Watching this really takes you back to a different era.

The sound effects all perfectly match, it's crazy.

I was debating whether or not to download this this morning. I guess I'll give it a shot like this.

What color is her hair?

Ataru is so much better than Rito as a MC it's scary.

Alpha MC before they were a thing in this type of show.

Ataru is still an unfunny piece of shit though.

UY started many genres of anime, to call it To Love-Ru for old people is ignorant. My Bride is a Mermaid is basically UY underwater. Ah My Goddess is just UY with a Goddess, it's just another exotic girlfriend genre. Without UY nearly ALL the anime enjoyed today may have never existed.

For a tasteless fag like yourself, sure.

My taste is exquisite, thank you very much.

...yea that doesn't dispell the show as a To love to for older people."
Since the show was the progenitor of the genre than their is a valid equivalence

Mass scale NTR episode on now.

I actually watched about 20 episodes of this series a couple years ago. I couldn't enjoy the material at all and i've watched and loved old anime before (Rose of Versailles, Macross, Patlabor, but this just doesn't seem to be my kind of thing.

I hope you guys enjoy it though.

>3 episodes in and NTR already
When will modern anime learn this is how you make anime?

Goddamn this show is fun.

I watched the first two movies and they were complete shit but this actually good so far.

Gun.

This is such a funny episode

Nah. The comparison with To Love Ru is too small and just covers a part of the whole show. A better comparison would be the simpsons, almost every other plot was done on the show and it gave the tropes for later shows.
UY it's the japanese simpsons

However it's not a harem, but a reverse Harem. Ataru is actually loved by only one specimen (and the most psychotic and childish one). However, lum is loved by almost all the male cast, except Ataru, the 1st male tsundere in the anime

It reflects perfectly the golden days of Anime Sound Production...

or was Ishida Sound who made the sound fx...?? Some of them sound like those made by Shoji Kato for Gatchaman Fighter

Best episode

Ataru is da real man... not like other harem MC. He only wants his freedom, that makes him the opposite of a self-insert and more of a character most men can identify with.

His only flaw would be his tsundereness. It would be better if he outright tell Lum to fuck off. He's no property of nobody, neither of a psychotical alien-esque, but hot womanchild

Did anyone else get the blu ray rips of the movies? I'm patiently waiting for someone to copy the subs off the vhs rip and apply them.

Weren't the blu ray rips for Beautiful Dreamer ruined by cropping?

What is it about japs and their carps?

It's cool seeing the art style evolve. By this point it's basically early Ranma.

Would you?

If I was Ataru, yes.

No. I'd Shinobu.

I really love these sound effects

Ataru would never touch lum like that. He only wants her to fuck off to her planet.

However, the hell i'd want. I started to watch UY bc of some Pokemon D&P fanart where Dawn was dressed like Lum (and they have almost the same hairstyle)

No. She would never love me.

Too plain and ordinary

This show's a lot more meanspirited than Ranma. Takahashi went soft.

This right here.
I mean according to the third movie Ataru has a destiny with all the main cast of girls
He is THE man.

Someone should record those SFX. I have some of them, but in low quality.

IIRC, Dragon Ball has some of them too

That's why she's lovely.

The childhood friend, dream girl of Ataru and Takahashi was never able to make a girl like her again, Shinobu is what Akane wishes to be. Pretty good choice.

youtube.com/watch?v=HMZx5Q286mo

I love how self aware this show was. About waifufags, fans and what it was to the mainstream media. There's a lot of episodes about that.
I prefer Ryuunosuke. She is a cute, strong tomboy and with a strong attitude. Similar to Shinobu, reason she is one of her best friends. Also reason why Ataru loves her and implied girlfriend of Ataru on the episode where he lost against Lum

Sakura episode on now.

The voice acting in this show is really amazing.

He destroyed that future with his own hands, though. The only rabbit door he wanted to save was the one where Lum was smiling.

Is Ataru just a tsundere (with obvious reasons) brat or is he really unsure what he really wants??

Oh but the OVAs just cover the manga parts the show didn't adapted. I'm talking about the third movie

Besides the anime and the manga being so different to each other.

Reason why it clashes sometimes when it tries to adapt parts of the manga.
Example why it feels so weird the anime movie line when it hits the fifth moviw and the ovas.

Besides having somebody else in charge

(Anime and movies was mostly Oshii and Yamazaki and the fifth movie along with a lot of the OVAs by Dezaki

This episode is amazing

IIRC, Ataru mellows down a fuckin lot in his girl chasing by the time the Inaba arc was being serialized in Shonen Sunday. The anime seems to have him more pervert than his manga self.

He is 100% tsundere towards Lum.

Towards everyone else he's the pervert type, and literally unstoppable.

He isn't doing it consciously but he is absolutely playing to eventually lose.

"It" wasn't so much "hugely influential" as Rumiko Takahashi was. Because SHE seemed to be writing what people wanted to see, the market was saturated with Urusei Yatsura, Maison Ikkoku, Ranma 1/2, Inuyasha and Rin-ne. Mostly, "how should a woman who's clearly in love and should marry a man fulfill all the traditional roles a wife and mother are supposed to do in Japan while also exercising their independence?"

The answer was almost always "be tsundere."

The anime Ataru is usually happier but also like to screw around a lot. Sure his destiny is to end married Lum but he likes to enjoy his youth.

Manga Ataru is a little bit more serious and cynical. He accepts Lum in his new life slowly and he starts to act more serious as the manga goes by. Anime Ataru in the other hand matures and accepts Lum and gets over his crush he had with Shinobu going as far not having problem of her and Mendou dating but his attitude is still more playful compared to his manga counterpart

>tuberculotic homosexuality
The jokes in this show are so far ahead of their
time it's crazy.

You think that's crazy?
Wait to Mendou became a girl and fall in love with Ataru

Wait for Mendo to*

Benten when?

They don't show any resolution to the Adam and Eve thing. You can't claim Mendo wasn't canonically impregnated in Earth's prehistory.

Is Lum a tsundere?

Actually a yandere and more of a sexually frustrated. Ataru is the tsundere here.

The 1st female modern tsundere was Madoka from KOR.

Rumiko makes the best girls

In what order do you watch this?
I'm seeing the main series, 6 movies which I'm not sure if they are compilation movies, and two ovas.

I'm feeling nice today.

TV:01-58
FILM1(OY)
TV:59-99
FILM2(BD)
TV:100-140
FILM3(RML)
TV:141-174
OVA1(RSTP)
TV:175-190
OVA1.5(MoUY4:LtF)
TV:191
FILM4(LtF)
TV:192-195
OVA2(MA)
OVA3(ItDM)
FILM5(TFC)
OVA4(NF)
OVA5(RS)
OVA6(EHG)
OVA7(IHatM)
OVA8(CtH)
OVA9(GaC)
OVA10(ToGEM)
OVA11(DwaS)
FILM6(AMD)
OVA12(TOCSM)

Same in the magical crow episode.
Girl mendou is best girl

These Oshii episodes sure are trippy. Interesting to see how his style developed here.

It barely matters. Continuity is essentially limited to whether a given character was established yet.

Thanks senpai your a life saver

Nice, thanks gramps

UY - Not tsundere, just reacting to the asshole who keeps chasing skirts.
MI - Massive grief hangup as a result of marrying young with a husband so idealized we couldn't ever see his face.
Ranma 1/2 - Both the man and the woman are "tsundere".
Inuyasha - In love but wary because of the man still grieving his previous loved one. Doesn't help she's a zombie running around taunting him.
Rinne - Mamiya Sakura is absolutely deadpan and almost never shows emotion. However she continues to hang out with and support Rinne all the time.

So, no. Far from "almost always"

Kill yourself