I read this on TV Tropes

I read this on TV Tropes.

>Animation is expensive. Really expensive. >An average 22-minute episode of an anime costs around $123,000, and American shows tend to be double that.

Why would it be double in America? Frankly, I'd expect anime to cost more, because have you seen Scooby-Doo compared to anime? And why does it cost so much at all? A ten episode show is a million dollars? How can they afford that? It's just drawing stuff, why the high price?

Other urls found in this thread:

animenewsnetwork.com/news/2015-05-15/study-animators-earned-usd28000-on-average-in-japan-in-2013/.87762
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

everything is bigger in america

West is full of crooks, dumb weeb.

>Why would it be double in America?

They pay people living wages.

Not the Koreans that actually animate their shows

They don't do that in Japan?

Catering

I don't have the links, but people often post figures about the incredibly low wages that almost everybody involved is paid. The director and voice actors, if they're established names, are just about the only people to make out decently.

>According to a Japan Animation Creators Association survey of 759 animators, the average yearly income is 1.1 million yen or approximately ten thousand dollars. Which is less than a thousand bucks a month. And that’s working, again, on average, eleven hours a day. That’s rough for a country as expensive as Japan.

Jesus. I'm going to do some calculations, hold on.

>worse than part-time job
Jesus

This is actually incredibly skewed. The figures presented here are comparing things like an entry-level animator on probation's lowest possible income vs the highest amount of money someone like KanaHana could possibly be making (and realistically isn't).
If I was a voice actor working on this show I'd be pretty pissed.

I couldn't find a source that told me how long it takes to draw one frame, but I'm just going to call it at ten minutes, which is probably right, based on my estimate with no actual drawing experience or knowledge to back it up.

So say you have to draw 20,000 frames for an episode. So that'd take one guy about four months to draw an episode. So if you pay them ten thousand dollars a year, you can get three episodes from one guy per year.

So, paying animators for a 10 episode run would cost you 32,000. I guess the cost starts to make since then. Cause you got voice on top of that, and whatever else. Scripts.

our cute girls are made of blood, sweat and tears

HanaKana? Man, it says "A-list."
That's Yamadera Kouichi money.

>TVtropes
ISHYGDDT

why is CG animator paid more than animator?
AM I MISSING SOMETHING HERE
they paid MORE for berserk to be shit?

sounds inaccurate. maybe cgi is cheaper nowadays than when that image chart was made.

>newfag thread
>TV Tropes
Fucking kill yourself.

>I read this on TV Tropes.
Lurk for two years before posting.

The animator price given there isn't what proper animators really make.

animenewsnetwork.com/news/2015-05-15/study-animators-earned-usd28000-on-average-in-japan-in-2013/.87762
>The study reports that animators earned an average of 3.3283 million yen (about US$27,689) in Japan in 2013. The mode result for yearly income in 2013 was 4.0 million yen (US$33,000).
>in-between (dōga) animators — many of whom are in their 20s — earn a yearly income of around 1.1 million yen (around US$9,200). The in-between animator is the entry-level position in the anime industry, and this income average does not include animators in higher positions or with more experience.

When will sensitive manbabies realize that they have no actual sway?

it's weird to me that they treat in-between work like dirt.

anyone can draw a pretty picture! the HARD part is making it move.

Isn't the easy part making it move?

Once you have a good picture, you can just put it in a computer and copy and paste it a bunch of times to make lips open and close or whatever.

LOL are you kidding me. there's no way you're serious...

manga artists everywhere would love to be making their own indie anime, but they fucking can't because it's far too much tedious and difficult work to make anything move.

didn't you grow up with newgrounds.com? or is that way too old and out of date now?

>copy and paste it a bunch of times to make lips open and close
that's a real piece of shit animation if it's only got animated mouths

The JAniCA report notes that in-betweeners sign contracts where they're only paid "a few hundred yen" per finished drawing, and they make on average 1.1 million a year while working on average 262.69 hours per month, or 3152.28 hours per year.
If we assume someone works those hours for that wage and makes 300 yen per finished drawing, we can figure that they make 3666 frames in a year, which would take ~70 minutes each.

The process holds true for other facets. Moving hands, and etcetera. I feel like there's a hard curve at the start, but once you get over the hump and have your preset animations, it wouldn't be that difficult.

Hell, if you're dedicated it can get done without the computer software. Like I said, it takes three months say to draw an a 22 minute anime by hand.

Put one together and if it's really good, you can get a kickstarter going to help you out so you can do it full time to make a movie or something.

mostly a labour of love though, but it's certainly feasible.

70 minutes? Damn.

You're only getting 10 frames a day, roughly? Gosh

>TV Tropes

Also nice toilet faggot

>Once you have a good picture, you can just put it in a computer and copy and paste it a bunch of times to make lips open and close or whatever.
No.

ya

Joke thread?
In the west animators get a wage they can survive with

In the West, animators live in Korea.

>I read this on TV Tropes.
can't you just shoot yourself?

>TVTropes