Sup Forums's general thoughts on this 18 year old series

Sup Forums's general thoughts on this 18 year old series

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=5EQHg_bhCKY
twitter.com/AnonBabble

I surprisingly prefered it to the manga.

Didn't age well at all.

Boring and Vash is too goofy.

Agonizingly slow at points. I started watching it about 2 months ago, and I've been putting off the last 4 episodes for weeks.

I just finished this recently and it's one of the best animes I've watched. On the last thread they said the manga is much better and I still gotta check it out.
But I gotta say the ending left me disappointed.

I got halfway through before giving up.

Been meaning to return to it.

The anime was actually better then the manga.

It's shit. Only Toonami fags like it.

Mediocre.

hated this damn cat

I remember enjoying it while watching it on toonami.

I disagree but the anime is short so there's that. I like the manga because it really delves into Vash trying to cope with all of it and how his choices contrast to those around him.

Interesting setting, interesting characters, but otherwise falls flat.

ITT: Not enough cute girls for Sup Forums

I was going to say that. At least it's better than Outlaw Star.

Good, but not as good as you remember.

I eat moe for breakfast, but Trigun is great even without cute girls. It's a rare achievement actually.
It's definitely not a marathoning anime though, best way to watch it is to pace yourself since there's plenty of fun episodic shenanigans without much plot advancement.

What exactly does "didn't age well" mean? Does it just refer to the animation?

better then gungrave but neither holds a candle to kekkai sensen

Pacing is a mess, comedy is out of place and lacking at times. The setting and worldbuilding were great, but a bit unexplored just as some of the characters.

Overall - good for a single watch and OST to remember.

I don't think I've seen anyone say they like it that has actually seen it recently. The only people who seem to like it watched it previously several years ago on adult swim and haven't revisited it.

It's good, but could be better. Pretty much no explanation about Plants or the background of Knives and Vash, Wolfwood doing some shit out of nowhere. Also, too slow in some episodes.

And its just too bad Badlands Rumble OVA turned out to be pure fanservice, instead of story exploration.

What part of trigun you wanted to see more anons? Backstory, more developed cast, Vash/Knives early days, life of SEEDS survivors, general wastland postapoc, new characters with fun powers/tools/guns, or as popular today - chibi style shorts?

The manga does go into a number of the unexplained background elements, for what it's worth, but goes in a much different direction as a result. Still feels like both mediums squandered their potential a bit; I enjoyed the characters more in the anime, but I preferred the general plot and world of the manga.

Half of it is unfunny filler.
The other half is rushed.
Manga is better.
10/10 aesthetic and music though

FUCK VASH
literal smug cuck

it goes into much more detail about the plants and the history behind vash, knives, and rem in maximum

Loved it. Funny with great heart, not something I usually look for or find in anime.

Currently watching Outlaw Star for the first time, and I'm enjoying it much more than Trigun.

Vash is literally the only redeeming feature. Other characters are bland and boring. Pacing is just so off.

Trigun is one of my friend's favorite nostalgia trip shows, but I just don't see it.

there are parts from the manga i enjoy more in the anime like H.T. (the opening),the first episode was probably one of my favorite first episodes in a series, and how the final fight with knives played out

but the Manga was able to flesh out more of its cast, had cooler villians (favorite one was the guy who used three off wolfwoods punisher crosses) more of a scifi mindfucky element to it.

The OVA was great if you overlooked the "story"

pretty good , just rewatched it recently (have been watching 5 episodes on tv when i was younger)

light hearted and funny in the beginning , gets pretty interesting towards the end of the anime. vash is a moralfag MC done right

the moment when vash was forced to kill the hypnosis dude was one of the most intense scenes i have witnessed in anime.

also
LOVE AND PEACE

One could give the same criticisms of Outlaw Star (except Aisha being the only redeeming feature).

>The only people who seem to like it watched it previously several years ago on adult swim and haven't revisited it.

I still enjoy watching it once a year. Maybe it hasn't aged so well but I still find it an enjoyable enough series to watch again every now and again.

Not considered to be outstanding by today's standards. It's but its a dime a dozen anime that blew up in the west because it was on tv back in the day

It means I used to like but don't like it anymore

What episode did the cat appear?

Every single one.

youtube.com/watch?v=5EQHg_bhCKY

English Vash much better than Japanese Vash.

Just like Kenshin.

>"I won't kill children!"
>"WELL TOO BAD NIGGA, ONE OF THE VILLAINS IS A CHILDREN!"
>"NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO"

Trigun was hilariously edgy most of the time. Kind of amazing just how bad it was.

Aisha is pretty annoying desu

you dont understand what edgy means

Gotta agree with .
Aisha is the typical annoying as fuck genki chick, Melfina is bland but plot-relevant, and Gene is an unlikable cunt. Everybody else is forgettable and/or unnecessary. Terrible cast, shitty writing, dumbass villain and story resolution. The whole show is only good for Suzuka shoulders/neck/back fanservice.

> ONE OF THE VILLAINS IS A CHILDREN
i kek'd

>literally the most wanted man in the entire world
>but nooooooobody knows what he looks like
>only that he has hair
>and wears red
>and has a gun that apparently looks a million times different from other guns
>except not really
>it's the wild west though so its okay nobody would have a photo
>except it turns out it's the far, FAR future and humanity came to the planet on genetics-bearing spaceships
>but nobody ever scavenged a fucking camera from one of the several massive crashed spaceships literally littering the fucking planet

trigun is dumb as hell and I hate it

I agree that barely anyone recognizing him it bit dumb, but totally understandable, on the other hand your camera example is even dumber.

Manga had cool artwork and looked stylish despite being poorly proportioned sometimes, and the fights were a little hard to follow at times. The story in the manga was at least more well developed and had a better end than the anime, wasn't amazing or terrible, it was aimed at teens and delivered appropriately.

The anime had a nice OST but nothing much else going for it. Pretty much everyone has seen it though so it gets a lot of nostalgia love.

I liked it a lot. Had bunch of memorable moments which is something most anime these days don't have.
Also it was one of few anime that aired on TV in my country.

I watched it for the first time a few months ago and I thought it was pretty good.
My main problem being the ending, for obvious reasons, and also knives being hilariously edgy and ruining everything just because he decided to become an intelligent nihilist with a wicked sense of humour.

Weak ending great show overall.

Sucks about the weak ending, too, since their budget got SHAFTED and the last episode is the first good animation in the show for the last 12 episodes.

It has a lot of "old anime" hallmarks that just seem stale today.
>MC with a couple of comedy schticks that get run into the ground by being used over and over again every episode, at the most inappropriate times; the comedy in general is super exaggerated and eyeroll-inducing (not that this isn't equally shitty today, but at least it doesn't feel so old)
>Weirdly paced dialogue and direction, everyone seems to be talking slowly, lots of pausing, lots of still shots (and not for artistic purposes)
>Colors are super flat, even for a show that's set in the desert
>Really obvious filler at times, and a lot of the episodes just feel like the "bad guy of the week"
Overall just really old-fashioned in a bad way.

I watched it early this year for the first time. I really hated the moral delimma and how it dragged on and on for the whole show.

I agree, I didn't watch either back in the day and was underwhelmed. At least Vash is likable Gene was a fag, didn't like him one bit.

>massively advanced spaceships crashed long long ago
>long enough that nobody but Vash and Knives, who might actually be immortal, knows what they even are
>but nobody knows that humans landed on this shitty desert planet from space
>apparently that particular piece of history has been completely lost
>despite the only people who could have created progeny would be people who had been on those ships and survived the crash

Always irked me about the anime. I get that it's been like a hundred years, but that's definitely not long enough that people would forget they came from motherfucking space.

One of my favorite anime. I love it to bits. Of course, I haven't watched the whole thing in a long time, but somewhat recently, I caught an episode somewhere and was surprised at how fun the dialogue could be. I need to give it a rewatch one of these days. Badlands Rumble was also pretty fun, I'd love for there to be more adventures.

This series has the same problem as kenshin.

Agree with all of this. Manga was stylish as fuck, but that didn't translate very well to animation (likely because of budget issues). Madhouse was in surprisingly poor form and it aged badly, aside from the OST, which is still pretty great.

The animation for Badlands Rumble was a lot better, but it also had a movie budget and didn't add much to the series than more style and good music, which were the two things the series wasn't lacking.

I will say that TriMax was a lot better than Trigun, and it's unfortunate that it'll probably never get a redone, higher budget, true to the manga adaptation.

I think aside from the ending it was much more balanced than manga. Manga was great, but it's story is about as schematic as the Nightow art is. I feel like Nightow was getting tired of it by the end. Like how Knives claims to never back down from his path and then does that in the same chapter.
I feel like there were many ideas that needed to be expanded, like Earth plants, or what was Elendira's deal for instance.
Legato is great character. He was indeed more intimidating in the anime, but had more depth as a character in the manga.

It was OK.
I always think of it as a companion piece to Cowboy Bebop. They're easier to watch together since their excesses balance each other.
Trigun is too goofy; Bebop is too pretentious. They're both good, but binge watching either by itself is intolerable.

Pussy protagonist with shitty comedy?

Are you for real? Kekkai sensen is just an action show. Gungrave is a great drama, and Trigun is anime classics, both have superior OSTs to boot.

I think we can all agree that these two are great though.

>Bebop is too pretentious
Oh fuck off m8. What, would you rather have Spike running around acting like a retard like Vash? Would that make it less "pretentious"?

absolutely

No, they ruined the show by taking up too much screntime. Or too little of you cared about their development.

Millie is best waifu, needed WAY more fanservice--and I don't mean panty shots and ecchi shit, I mean just more development and interaction with the rest of the cast. But Meryl is the typical "awful cunt who wants to be the voice of reason but also needs needs NEED to be a love interest despite being an awful cunt" female from 90s anime, and she was awful.

They were barely around in the manga, so I guess that's fair trade.

>a new genre itself
yeah right...

>the typical "awful cunt who wants to be the voice of reason but also needs needs NEEDS to be a love interest despite being an awful cunt" female from 90s anime
did the 90s really start that? feels like that archetype has been prominent in anime since the 80s
I agree with you though that Meryl is fucking trash
cute design but just honestly a terrible and useless character
while also managing to be a complete bitch

>Weirdly paced dialogue and direction, everyone seems to be talking slowly, lots of pausing, lots of still shots (and not for artistic purposes)
How is that old anime trope?
This applies to practically every anime that is written by someone who isn't versed in writing good dialogue and directed by someone with bad idea of pacing
Which is 90% of this media

Horrible, at least what i can remember of it. I only got halfway through when i tried watching it years ago before dropping it.

It focuses way too much on the very superficial moralizing, if you're going to focus on that so much you at least to make it slightly interesting,

Then to add on to that, the animation isn't that good, the characters are bland, and it isn't funny.

A show can do the kind of stuff that Bebop does and come off as pretentious, but I've always thought that Bebop manages to keep those elements in check and not stray into the realm of pretension. But if a show like isn't your cup of tea, I can understand why you would think that it's pretentious.

and even some of kekkai senen

Cowboy Bebop might be more you speed, kiddo. Don't worry, you won't have to use your brain at all while watching it.

No I definitely think we needed more Millie pantsu and ecchi as well.

>Millie is best waifu

Their scenes came off as filler or greatly padded so they could be set up as major characters in merchandise, so I never liked them.

Where is the depth in Trigun?

There's a very specific variation of this that you see only in like, these 90s and early 2000s show, where I see it and immediately go "oh this is a low budget show from the turn of the century, probably made by Madhouse". None of the problems in my post are specific only to old stuff, but there's a way of doing all of those things that's just very indicative of that period. It's like a mild version of that whole dragging shit out thing that long running shonen anime like DBZ or Naruto tend to do.

Read the Manga, Zazie ends up in a female body and pulls a larva out of "their" vagina. I forgot for what purpose but that panel horrified me.

I honestly can't stand when an anime tries to shove an incredibly naive moral lesson down my throat all the time.

I really wish it didn't come out in a time when having proper endings was considered lame.

Its my favorite anime

But its pretty mediocre until the gung ho guns come in

Manga is way better

I watched it like 4 years ago. It was pretty terrible at the time I watched it. I think people that like it are just nostalgia fags.

Yeah but you can save that shit for promotional and spinoff material, but still keep her desirable and appearing non-slutty. Keep her pure, perfect, and clothed in the main series, throw out some lewd hooks here and there in the side stuff--candid comfy shots of her in panties, sweating and working on the family farm, whatever. Perfect strategy.

holy shit, seriously? is that from maximum or the first series?

It was an adaptation on an ongoing manga, so having a filler ending was pretty unavoidable.

>Fight Club

Maximum pretentiousness.

>18 years

It had a lot of "filler" in general since there wasn't much manga material to work with, but the ending was the only lame part about it.

Mreryl was a lot better in Maximum, as well as a little hotter

Maximum, I bought the series when Dark Horse release the graphic novels.
I just found the page. Zazie was going to use the bug ala Kahn in Star Trek to mind control Knives, but Legato being the good waifu destroys the host body.

I love it, was once of my first anime. No I did not first watch it on fucking Toonami but on good ol VHS.
Now that ive seen other anime with DO NOT KILL mc's I can go back and say Vash was well done in that regard. His moral code makes sense for him and he pays the price appropriately.

That's supposed to be a woman? Pfffft.

Damn, "Maximum" is right. Maximum edge.