720p or 1080p

For anime archiving purposes should I be getting 720p or 1080p? Does it even matter?

Other urls found in this thread:

docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1a7IeHkvp1s1_jP3llRIXEQU-aWY8LYtSeH3L45QK-BE/edit#gid=0
anibin.blogspot.nl/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

The human eye only sees in 800p

Almost all of the 1080p stuff is going to be poorly upscaled from native 720p.
There's not much point unless you know for sure that the source was mastered in an unusually high resolution for some reason.

There is no reason for anything more than 480p people. This isn't scenes filmed in real life. It's friggin cartoons. It's not like if you get additional resolution you will start to see pores on the faces of the characters or more strands of hair. Your not magically going to see better quality out of those stick figures in the background either.

It's just a drawing.

ten
eighty
pee

Basically most anime is in 720p. Most of the 1080p downloads you see on Nyaa are just upscaled 720p.
The only time when it's a good idea to download 1080p is if it's an OVA or a movie. Movies are almost always native 1080

1080 for BD, 720 for TV releases.

Some TV series are being drawn in 900p these days with 3D scenes sometimes in FHD so it's reasonable to archive 1080p if you e.g. download one of the latest JC Staff or Kyoani shows. But 720p is all right too.

Basically
>Is it a BD rip? 1080p is, nine out of ten times, the best option.
>DVD, net vid, or TV source? 1080p will usually be a poor upscale done by a subgroup, and 720p will be closer to or will just be the original resolution.

This applies for films, shows, and OVAs released after the mid 2000s.

If the anime is 1080p and from before then? There's a chance it's a poor upscale instead of a proper release, so use google to check it got one.

By the way this assumes you mean actual archival, like filling up a 4tb HDD to use as a plex server or something.

If you're just looking to save your favourite shows to your laptop or something then 720p is always the best option for anything besides newer films because it looks fine and is like half the size.

Got some sources on that 900p?
I haven't seen anything to that effect, but my knowledge might very well be out of date.

Where does one check if the anime is produced in 720p or 1080p?

I thought most TV studios do 720p.

That doesn't make sense.
The BDs are going to be from the same source as the TV broadcasts, and if it was animated in 720p, there's no reason to waste HD space on an upscale.
TV's not analog anymore.

It does make sense though, 1080 BD encodes are going to have a higher bitrate than their 720 counterpart and that matters especially when archiving.

There is no reason for high definition for anime. Stick with 360/480 or 720p if you want to be wasteful and a high bitrate.

I don't know how accurate this is. Main issue I'd say is you can't really figure hybrid resolutions without a direct source.

docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1a7IeHkvp1s1_jP3llRIXEQU-aWY8LYtSeH3L45QK-BE/edit#gid=0

720, always.

Hey OP, if you got the HDD space and download speed to spare just go for the 1080. But check the subs if they're alright first.

This really unless you have the storage to spare. We're talking strictly for archiving purposes after all.

>Archiving

Why would you do this? Watch it once then delete it. If you really liked it, buy it legally

Inb4 >>buying anime

what the fuck kind of shitty monitor do you have? if you're going to watch in 480, then you may as well be streaming. fuck off

the highest native version you can get
just avoid upscaled trash

I buy blurays to watch then donate to library's if I don't think I'll ever watch them again. So like 90% of the time. I get a nice tax deduction too at the end of the year.

I use to get my hentai DVDs at the library. Cool devices, story of little Monica Lewinsky, Foxy News and a bunch of others.

I started with anime in vhs, actualy Idont really matter the diference

better to rewatch something good than follow the garbage coming out these seasons

I really matter started being the difference from when I the Navy enlisted so he didn't get the internet and officer that I was permitted to I ended watching it without expecting much but the slow frames and made it much better with computers coming about so I gave it another shot and ended up liking it.

Then came Sup Forums and USENET.

For you.™
For the rest of us, it is in the megapixels.

HD in anime provides no additional detail of any note.

But i stream all my ayynime user...

If there's a 480p BD and you computer can run madVR properly, go for that. Otherwise, 720p is generally the better choice (you can store more shows obviously) unless you want to 1080p for freeleech or whatever.

There are an uncomfortable amount of people in this thread that support watching anime in 480p.

>For anime archiving purposes
Why not just buy blu-rays

Sorry you watch anime with a toaster, user.

>go for 480

Your reading comprehension must be poor. Go read over that reply again, user.

>what is madVR
You must use VLC.

What are you even talking about, let me go ahead and make you a fucking summary.

>There are an uncomfortable amount of people in this thread that support watching anime in 480p.
>Me not supporting 480p

>Sorry you watch anime with a toaster, user.
>You making a retarded claim

>>what is madVR
>You must use VLC.
>implying anyone who watches above 480p uses VLC or doesn't use madVR

Your logic is pretty sharp there user, if I do say so myself.

anyone who downloads anime in 480 is a literal retard. nothing else even needs to be said
>inb4 b-but I watch it on my phone
yeah that makes you retarded

>>Me not supporting 480p
Because you clearly have no idea that properly upscaled SD actually looks good.
>retarded claim
Literally only a toaster would be unable to handle madVR
>>You must use VLC.
Because you seem to have the general intelligence of a VLC user.

>upscaled SD actually looks good.
yeah maybe if you own a monitor from the 90s

>Literally only a toaster would be unable to handle madVR
>implying I don't use madVR

>An SD upscale looks better than an HD source.
user, again you really aren't helping yourself here.

Have fun buying hard drives, friend. Meanwhile I can store 5x as much in good quality for when the apocalypse comes.
>selectively leaving out the "properly" part
And I'm not talking about shitty reencodes. I'm talking about the handful of groups that actually make high quality SD encodes.

Holy fucking shit I hate fags like you who say this. You're not even baiting and I'm already filled with nothing but contempt and disgust.

You grab it, you keep it. Nothing lasts forever and archiving what you like is common sense, especially when it comes to less popular material that's on the threshold of being forgotten altogether. It is the simplest concept ever and I can't believe you fail to understand it. If you've already acquired something for free, buying a copy of that is a complete waste of money.

>b-b-b-but I'm supporting the—
No, you're retarded. If you've already acquired something, keep it. If you want to buy something, go ahead and buy it without pirating it first. Trying a show, deleting it forever, and then buying it makes no sense whatsoever. If you're so insistent on not keeping what you want to watch, then why don't you go ahead and stream it, you fag?

I'm turning 720° and walking my ass out of here. If I stay here and wait for your unbelievable response, I'll only make myself angrier. Kill yourself my man.

>downloading shitty standard definition anime just so he can store it on his hard drive and pretend that he will rewatch it in the future.

I usually use 720 for everything. Not really picky about it. If the 720 torrent doesn't have enough seeders I'll jump to 1080, but honestly my highest priority is just getting the fucking show in the first place.

might be useful to have for the future.
and also storage is extremely cheap nowadays.
so unless you are on a laptop, why wouldn't you store anime?

>>An SD upscale looks better than an HD source.
That's not what I said, but ok.
You're saying it's a better idea to download much larger files and pretend to watch those?

There's nothing wrong with archiving anime, but you don't have to archive everything you watch. If you're archiving enough to where you're filling your hard drive then you have a serious issue.

If you watch in 1080p you're just wasting bits, but that's your problem. If you watch in 480p just to upscale you probably have some literal autism and should seriously seek help.

>>>An SD upscale looks better than an HD source.
>That's not what I said, but ok.
Then you're saying you just accept lower quality because your a poorfag who's afraid of some bits?

I only archive anime that I like, and you can pick up a 6 TB hard drive for around 2 hundred dollars.
you don't have to be a millionare

Bits per pixel are usually the same or higher. It is true that 1080p can get away with a higher crf, but it's still bitstarved.

Was referring to filesize.

720p for TV broadcasts and 1080p for BD rips.

This is a valid point, archiving literally everything is kinda dumb.
Yeah exactly. More bits = bigger file. Lower resolution = less bits needed to express all the detail. The goal is to have a good ratio of bitrate to pixels in each frame.

Watching this scene in 480p wasn't as painful.

>720plebs

Retard.

Enjoy your placebo

There's literally nothing wrong with VLC unless you're a shill.

vlc is objectively worse than mpv

Cause Blu-rays are expensive

Depends on the show and the group. A show might not benefit from 1080p over 720p but the group that released it might have starved the 720p version to make it seem more reasonable.

mpv is objectively worse than vlc

your waifu is ugly

your waifu a shit

VLC was shit back in the day, now the only people who are still on the VLC hate train are those who don't know any better and just regurgitate the same shit they've been swallowing from Sup Forums for years.

No, it's visibly worse that even vanilla MPC-HC.

Umm if 1080p is useless then why would they do 1080p releases

Checkmate

Ok, asshole, what do you use?

This is for BROADCAST encodes:
It depends on how you watch. If you are playing it on a monitor 12 inches from your eyes, get 1080p. If you are watching on a TV 10 feet away, 720p is fine cause your eyes wont notice the lack of detail.

If for direct BD rips, get 1080p

it doesn't matter

This nip is usually pretty spot on for what resolution an anime is at: anibin.blogspot.nl/

An example of a 900p show this season would be Amanchu. Really crisp looking lines and such.

I like subtitles

>Archiving