Which Bible version?

Is KJV the correct Bible to follow? I have seen it called the greatest text of all time, seen it said that it is the most accurate complete version. I want to get a Bible and further my relationship with Jesus. Denominations are still confusing at this point. There are so many and it seems they all claim the others are wrong. I just want to get closer with God, and if a church is needed in that I will gladly go. There just seem to be so many options when I am ignorant of this topic.

Other urls found in this thread:

m.youtube.com/watch?v=kFtI_mVOXbQ
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Anyone have some insight? Would be greatly appreciated.

>KJV

Protestants. Not even once.

So what is recommended?

KJV makes u better at the English language as well

Read something that's not a bunch of bull shit written by Jewish men claiming to be the chosen race.

Helpful

NP

New York cathechism approved with apocrypha.

NRSV

Get a strongs concordance bible

NIV

Strong's Concordance, obviously.

the KJV is just a translation

Strong's Concordance because if you can't read hebrew and greek it will allow you to read the actual bible instead of a translation.

I first read the childrens version of most stories as a child and then a lot of KJV Icelandic translation as a teen while not really getting it. Now I like to compare the different versions on biblegateway and when I feel like I've found some understanding of a concept I look up ideas relating to it. Usually I find theologians have discussed and expended on the concept over the centuries, Catholics and Orthodox seem to have a rich history of advancing human thought. The OT is dark and barbaric like the primeval mind and originates in polytheism, the contrast with the NT provides insights into the evolution of human thought as well as obviously the nature of God.

Watch this

m.youtube.com/watch?v=kFtI_mVOXbQ

>Non-Inspried Version

Yeah maybe because most people don't soeak both greek and hebrew

Thank you for that

How do I find it? Been wanting to have a copy of a catholic bible at home for a while now but can't find where to buy

Is it worthy to learn Latin/Greek/Hebrew to read it on the original?

good man, King James Bible or gtfo!

Douay-Rheims or you are a literal Heritic.

There is no correct or divine version just various translation philosophies. Greek, Aramaic, and Hebrew are the languages of the original texts used to translate to English. Some translations use the Septuagint as their source material which is a translation itself from Hebrew to Greek.

The KJV is good for Anglos since it is essentially part of the common parlance -- most references to the bible are derived from the KJV. Douay-Rheims is a good substitute for the KJV. The NKJV seems really bad to me. I have an Orthodox bible I like to read for the notes, but not for the text itself.

NRSV is elegant to read, it's beautiful and accurate and it's used in Academic circles.

My favourite translation of the New Testament is by Richmond Lattimore who was famous for his translations of The Iliad and the Odyssey. The language is rich and refreshing since he's got a Homeric vocabulary. I love to read this one, where as others I would be more inclined to use for study.

New Jerusalem Bible. Translated anew, in the late 50s, from the oldest Aramaic texts they could find.

The OT reads like a sci-fi story a lot of the time, DESU. I can see John DeLancie's Q being YHWH.

KJV has a lot of baggage. He wanted it translated a certain way, and from what I've heard, a lot of monks got killed until he got what he wanted.

Not Christian, just like to be well informed.

I know a lot of bible translations, and I have no idea what you're talking about.

For Catholics, best option is the Knox Bible - translated from the Vulgate with reference to the Greek and Hebrew. It's a little hard to find, but Baronius Press has reprinted it. Alternatively, the RSV Catholic version is also pretty good - but find the 1st RSV-CE edition - it includes thees and thous when addressing God which got taken out in the 2nd ed.

Douay-Rheims is classic, but even harder to read through than the KJV.

Go for it if you want - Greek is the most useful - you can read both the NT and the Septuagint.

Latin is great if you want to read and understand the theological tradition in the West (and a lot of philosophy).

for starters user, you need read Isaiah 52 and Isaiah 53 to understand one of the prophecies about Jesus.

For starters he is NOT good looking but he is disfigured

>>Douay-Rheims

I have issues with the Challoner, but prefer Engrish.
Wat du?