Dumping the first volume of a serious military SF-drama about female soldiers...

Dumping the first volume of a serious military SF-drama about female soldiers... who fight by having alien organs implanted in their wombs.

>who fight by having alien organs implanted in their wombs.
Well that sure is something.

That ain't even the half of it, but don't want to spoil too much.

Hell, even if you post Naruto I'll follow it. Just because it's you. No homo.

It's a long shot, but you wouldn't happen to know of raws for the mangaka's recent oneshot in Mystery Bonita, would you?

Thankfully this is much better than Naruto.

Nope, sorry.

>Dumping the first volume of a serious military SF-drama about female soldiers...

Oh hey this should be neat-

>who fight by having alien organs implanted in their wombs.

>mfw

Despite the premise, it is handled quite seriously.

>deceptive weapons
>friendly hologram-projecting robot
I wonder what happens next?

This looks pretty cool, thank you Hox.

Those look like gun barrels on the machine.

>there are no good space combat (ship vs ship) manga

Fuck, why is sci-fi such a dead genre...

It is always good times when Hox is posting.

I love you Hox.

Poor bf getting NTR'd.

Well, that's kinda beautiful. It fits women so much. Now to guess what "fly l" actually means.

It's not NTR is she didn't get fucked.

What happens when they give birth?

Do they retain their abilities?

Not real NTR, but still doesn't change the fact that he had his girl taken away from her for who knows how long.

Transfer organ has to be implanted in womb for the bearer to have any special ability.

I guess we'll have to wait. That's why we all are reading this right now. I like this communal readings a lot.

I will be disappoint if the BF hasn't gotten married to someone else when she gets back.

So their not really "pregnant" but have an extra organ in their womb?

It'll be explained in like 30 pages from now.

They remove the organ when it grows too big and the ability is lost, after which they implant a new organ and start again from step 1.

Not sure if fetish or not.

Anything can be a fetish if you put your mind to it, user.

This makes me oddly uncomfortable. Mostly because the author's female and this is a heavy-handed metaphor that I haven't figured out yet.

Is the author female?

Post partum depression is my bet.

Yes. Shirai Yumiko.

It is like the author actually considered how to make a pregnant woman combat ready.

I always wondered, what is the human space fleet doing? Why are there no reinforcement from the other planets?

All of her works look grim and dark.

>Hox
Quality as always.

I'm getting a vibe similar to that comic, it's called the Eternal War or some shit. Interstellar war that takes into account time dilation at relativistic speeds. It's super interesting.

Hasn't been specified so far as of v1, but judging by the fact that the original colony ship was wandering for a long time before they found they found an adequate planet to colonize, it seems humanity is disperesed throughout the galaxy, just trying to survive. There doesn't seem to be any cooperation or any centralized organization that would make that possible.

"The Forever War", my bad.

I was in the last thread where you dumped this as a promo.
Really a big fan of the 80's aesthetic it has going on and how it treats the premise with enough seriousness that there's a genuine sense of tension going on.
Thanks for translating, it could have gone under my radar indefinitely.

I'm guess this is showing life where bearing children is taken out of the realm of family and love and instead perceived as a nationalistic need. Put in context of today's Japan, with declining birthrates, it would make sense.

I hope this is a criticism of that sort of policy, though. If it's promoting I don't know if I can stomach it.

Thanks. That factor's what prompted me to translate the series too.

They briefly mention here that they are the victim of a misinformation campaign. In short there are two migrant communities on the planet and each one claims to have arrived first. People from the outside universe probably have no idea who to believe, they just see a planet fighting against itself and don't want to touch the issue with a ten foot pole.

I don't think you have to reach so far and come up with "deep social meanings." It could have simply originated as a mind-exercise on "What if female soldiers could actually be useful?"

One of the biggest physical reasons hampering the effectiveness of female soldiers is the fact that they get periods, so the author may have thought it'd be fun to turn that upside down by wondering, "What if wombs, instead of being a liability, could be a strength?" Lots of sci-fi stories turn traditional conventions of societal orders upside down and explore the consequences of such a society.

>Always protect your womb! Don't even THINK about protecting your fugly mugs!
I was sold on this page.

Well, look at the reaction when the male love interest asked his girl to stay and have a child with him. There's enough drama in that scene that should clarify the author's position.
Granted, these are the early pages so it's difficult to come to a cohesive understanding of what the author's intent is. Criticism, promotion, or a third position.

More than periods, it's that they are objectively inferior to male soldiers in every way that counts for soldiering.

Which is not to say women are inferior. They are not. But they are different. Tens of thousands of years of evolution have made guys better at the act of fighting and killing than girls, that's just how it is.

think the author just wanted to explore the concept of a female-oriented military culture. She does it marvelously.

Be careful what you unleash, Hox.

Eh, he is completely right about women being physically much inferior than men. The Olympics is a prime showcase of that.

I think you're reaching too hard, honestly. I don't see any specific message coming through so far, and certainly not such a commentary on modern Japan.

Easy, friend. I'm not trying to start a debate here, just responding to the period comment. There are plenty of damn good female soldiers, too.

Tens of thousands of years of evolution does not prepare either gender for dodging and firing bits of metal at each other at supersonic speeds. This is a horrifically backwards way of thinking.

Cultural conditioning though has designated men as the feed for the meatgrinder of industrialized warfare.

I've seen some posters at online reading sites get confused over this matter. It's an organ, like how a placenta is an organ. NOT a fetus, as the Second propaganda insinuates.

>Organ

So it's more akin to a parasitic organism?

Yep. Totally not sketchy shit at all. 100% on the level. No chance of using misinformed soldiers as hothouses for horrors beyond imagination.

Glad we cleared that up!

I don't think a comparison to a parasite is apt, considering it's not an organism by itself. It's basically like getting an organ transplant, except it's in your womb, and has to be taken out eventually before it grows too big.

True, they could be lying to soldiers, but there really isn't any evidence of that so far in v1. There is something important that the army IS hiding, but that relates to do with the Niebass, and not their transfer organs.

So, like a cancer transplant that gives you super powers?

Sure, why not.

So my guess is that MC is going to get stuck somewhere and keep this thing longer than it should be in her normally.

And then some horrific truth is going to be revealed and we find out the gov't was lying to them all along.

I think it's unfitting to call is a parasite. It does not appear to infect anyone on its own. It's the humans who forcefully implants the alien flesh into their body and then forces it to stay there with anti-rejections drug. You could say that from the point of view of the alien organ it's the humans who are doing the parasitizing. They humans may have the larger biomass but they're the one sticking themselves to another organism to exploit it.

Well, it has been fun reading this with you guys. Time to sleep. Thanks, Hox.