/craftsmanship/ (Made in China hate thread)

why is high level craftsmanship so undervalued these days and everyone just buys cheap and shortlasting:

poorly manufactured cheap houses
poorly manufactured cheap furniture
poorly manufactured cheap tools
poorly manufactured cheap clothes
poorly manufactured cheap shoeware
poorly manufactured cheap travel equipment
poorly manufactured cheap sport equipment

and by "poorly manufactured" I do also mean also shortlasting (>10 years). Today, you either buy a premium product (which, due to lower market, has become more expensive), or either smth that has super performance but its durability is plastic barbie level (like carbon bicycle frame compared to a steel one - one lasts 5-10 years, the other can last a century).

Today we are filled with meme corporate imbecile job that require no skill but in Good times of our civilization men were workers and artists in the same time and took pride in their work.
why is everything in postmodern world so un-timeless? Why dont we make stuff for other generations to last anymore? MCGA!

youtube.com/watch?v=FtGM42sm5s8

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=4oIq-asaOEk
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

good manufacter house here

bump

I think this one is decent. I'd shop around for changes but thats not as goofy as the one above

>buy premium product
>take it home
>look at label
>Made in China

I know it doesnt look pretty but China is able to manufacture quality when under the whip.

However its still not the old time level of high quality when you had
>more affortable premium product prices
>higher level manufacturing

Call it what you want but people still value a great carpentre. I spent the past week watching this man's youtube videos before I took the CA contractor's license test yesterday.

youtube.com/watch?v=4oIq-asaOEk

>I spent the past week watching this man's youtube videos before I took the CA contractor's license test yesterday.

congrats! how long have you been in carpentry business?

Because most goods don't need a "craftsman", that's what manufacturing is for.
I could go to a cobbler for a pair of shoes and pay gods know how much or get a $20 pair from the store that'll last decently long.
Are you some kind of tradesman mad that you're unnecessary?

I try to buy America goods as often as I can.

>Because most goods don't need a "craftsman", that's what manufacturing is for.

and that is why quality and long lasting is out of the window. You can make a quality prod in China, but today, even design doesnt allow for long lasting anything.

>I could go to a cobbler for a pair of shoes and pay gods know how much or get a $20 pair from the store

If you had high quality shoes in the first place you would always go to a cobbler. The thing is that cobblers now are only a few so the price is up, as is the price of high quality shoes...the price of crappy ones has gone down.

>I try to buy America goods as often as I can.

good on ya!

That’s a really nice house.

wouldlivein/10

the rest is ugly, too big crap.
All you need is a house like that and some land out back to farm a bit of food and stuff.
get 2-3 doggos and be a happy man.

I have shoes from my father that I take to a cobbler every few years to resole. Have fun passing on your walmart plastic shoes.

>That’s a really nice house.

it is. but also expensive. considered almost a luxury today despite realy being nothin special - the price is inflated due to reasons pointed in OP post.

have you noticed how rare is simple red brick today, but what is common is faux glued to wood stone

A variety of reasons.The average consumer could not care, be poor, be short-sighted, etc. There are still very high quality craftsmen items, but they're significantly more expensive. This is one of the reasons why the only craftsmanlike items I own were gifted to me by my parents (as a 23 year old college student), because I have no money for thousand dollar desks that will last a century. I also believe a contributing factor would be the maintenance required. We do live in a throwaway culture where we just dispose of things once they stop working, in stark contrast to depression-era folks and their children.

True that I see many peoples wooden floors decking and kitchen worktops ruined because they simply did not maintain them.

>There are still very high quality craftsmen items, but they're significantly more expensive.

this! but notice that high qualtiy was far more common back then...you owned less but it lasted more - back then qualtiy wasnt even a luxury but an investment in the future. End result is the same. I hate throwaway culture so much...

>I see many peoples wooden floors decking and kitchen worktops ruined because they simply did not maintain them.

...and Ive seen 5 year old custom "wood" kitchens destroyed from water. by "wood" I mean the cheapest MDP wood.

pic rel- high quality USA designed SSteel bottle but manufactured in China...

>stone

At least in America, there's a 90% chance that shit is foam and not even real stucco. Dryvit, I work with it all the time and nothing will drive down your home value faster than that shit. One crack and it becomes a breeding ground for mold and rot throughout your entire exterior. Cheap shit

That looks like most non-ranch houses in my neighborhood minus the storm cellar. Only really old houses have them, and they usually have stairs leading down to a fortified door.

Because it's convenient and it fills a purpose. It's like asking

>Why do people fast food joints?

Fuck you, I'll have my cheap ikea furniture delivered to my cheaply made rented house. Why? Because I really just need a roof and a bed.

>Fuck you, I'll have my cheap ikea furniture delivered to my cheaply made rented house. Why? Because I really just need a roof and a bed.

aint nothing wrong with that but you wouldt be in that situation in the first place if smth as simpl as taste in things would be different.

can't say i'd feel bad about a fully furnished house that goes up quickly and is made in a factory 24 horus a day.

im wearing my dads pair of whites from about 25 years ago, seen lots of fire work they run about $700
i have a cheaper pair of a chippewas that wear for real work that ran me about 250 desu i think theyre as good as whites or drews you only get a couple more years out of em