Why does anyone like series with 'high fantasy', or western-style European medieval fantasy settings?

Why does anyone like series with 'high fantasy', or western-style European medieval fantasy settings?

Anime and manga set in the real world, or that have sci-fi settings, are pretty much always better and more interesting.

berserk

Re:zero

Generally you're right

You're a fucking weeb OP holy shit, lurk more.

I literally do not understand the appeal.

I've been on Sup Forums since 2008 and still don't get why people like those settings.

>sci-fi
>good or interesting

How is that autism treating you? Realism or nothing.

Why is there any good cyberpunk animes in years?

The appeal is exploring a setting that isn't like our modern world.

I greatly dislike the Japanese take on high-fantasy (and fantasy in general) most of the time. It might have something to do with my lack of exposure, but they often seem too "ridiculous" to my taste, as in the case with most jrpgs, which most new high-fantasy shows are based on. Western fantasy by comparison have much less of this "ridiculousness factor", which makes it easier for me to actually get interested in the world itself. I can still enjoy some fantasy anime/manga if you they have other qualities that make them enjoyable, but it's rare that I'm actually interested in the world itself.

I don't get why there isn't more eastern style high fantasy

Sometimes you really just wanna see ninjas, samurai, and kung fu masters riding dragons in search of legendary techniques

I love high fantasy settings, but a lot of recent shows have been kinda fucking it up. They all seem really focused on otaku pandering, and nearly every single one of them is an Isekai. I'd be happy if we got more shows like Lodoss War

>Anime and manga set in the real world, or that have sci-fi settings, are pretty much always better and more interesting.
>real world

while they're set in the "real world" majority of the time the characters illogical actions and stories plot take out of it also they're not all interesting since they don't go neck deep into the story by episode 11/12, then you just ended up feeling disappointed.

bleachfag overshadow good anime and manga threads i'll bump your thread op with power of Tomoko.

I'm just tired of harem shit and want something with good storytelling. Lately nothing has come out isn't shit.

I used to be able to watch like 6 shows each season but now I can't even find 1 that I can watch without getting bored and dropping.

>They all seem really focused on otaku pandering, and nearly every single one of them is an Isekai.
The visuals and animation are also really fucking lazy a lot of the time. I can't recall any fantasy in recent years that had decent designs or well directed action scenes.

>i don't get why people like what i don't like
Grow your fuck up, man

When you say high fantasy, are you thinking Tolkien fantasy? Then yes, I agree that's boring as shit.

Nothing comes even close to Tolkiens world in terms of the scale, datail and depth. Thats why it took him 20 fucking years to write all of it. You cant compare it to something that bunch of japs shat out in a couple of weeks.

I never get what I want from fantasy shows. I just want something like a gritty, made up medieval world. Instead of flashy magic beams, I just want paranormal shit, curses and spells.

They harken back to a time when Europe was great

>medieval ages
>great

That's pretty funny, I know that the medieval age wasn't as bad as it's typically made out to be, but calling it "great" is pretty fucking hilarious.

I prefer the bronze age.

The European medieval ages are too overused in fantasy. I would prefer it if more authors/writers could be a little more creative and use other time periods and/or areas to inspire their settings.

For his twenty years, Tolkien simply copypasta local European lore in the most boring writing possible and add his own brand of racism into it.

Most Japanese LN writers do far better than him into a couple of weeks if you ever bother to read some of Tolkien's original writing.

There are high fantasy works that use an eastern setting, but you only find good shit from 10+ years ago. Modern nips just can't get enough medieval European swords and magic.

Time to use /wsr/ for the first time then.

If only it were just European Middle Ages, but it's really English Middle Ages 9/10 times with the other 1 time being Holy Roman Empire.

The rest of Europe is there in universe, but it's always somewhere else than where the story takes place, and they're always far more interesting.

Don't die.