What's the difference between the FMA and FMA Brotherhood series?

I haven't watched Anime in many years, but recently I've had time to get back into it. I've seen that one of my favorite series, Fullmetal Alchemist, has done a series reboot. What I'm wondering is:

Does it present a lot of deep variations (plot-wise, character-wise or otherwise), or is it just the same series with updated art?

I found a very good resume for the FMA in the Waawia Forum : waawia.com/Topic/View/Fullmetal-Alchemist--Hagane-no-Renkinjutsushi/41

FMA follows the first three or four volumes of the manga, than it goes on an original story.
FMA Brotherhood follows the manga entirely. But it's shit.

Use Google.

Brotherhood is the manga fully animated.

It's also much better

>FMA Brotherhood follows the manga entirely. But it's shit.
Are you implying the anime original ending was better? The one with fucking parallel universe nazis?

Brotherhood is better. Watch it.

bleachfag overshadow good anime and manga threads i'll bump your thread op with power of Tomoko.

FMA follows the first few manga volumes then goes off on an original story.
FMA:B follows the entire manga, but it shortens the first few arcs. What the original did in 26 episodes, brotherhood did in 10 so it misses out on certain details. The ending and overall story is better though.
Watch both or, if you don't want to watch the FMA ending, watch up to episode 26 of the original then from episode 11 of brotherhood. That should give you the full "manga" experience.

the start of FMA is shit anyway

This is the start of a new meme.

Confirmed waste yute

>yute

What ends you from blud

03 starts off following the manga and then goes full retard angst right into its own ending
Brotherhood follows the manga, which goes full shonen

I wonder if there's an elegant watch order to get to watch the long versions of the early story from FMA but finish with FMAB, presumably with a little mix-and-matching in the middle.

Watch the 03 anime
Read the manga

don't even bother with Brotherhood BONES did a rushed job on most of the episodes

Brotherhood is way more optimistic and hopeful. The characters start out basically the same in both versions, but develop in vastly different directions. Brotherhood has more of an ensemble cast, everyone gets their time to shine, while FMA03 is pretty much The Adventures of Edward.
>watch up to episode 26 of the original then from episode 11 of brotherhood. That should give you the full "manga" experience.
Don't do this.
FMA03 started changing important stuff and fucking up with the chronology from the very beginning, so if you switch from one version to the other, you'll be confused. Also, 03's first cour is 80% random filler adventures that were not in the manga.

The issue with starting with 03 and transitioning into Brotherhood is that they already begun setting things in place for 03's differences (Marcoh's flashback for example) early on

From me dads bell end

Brotherhood is animu kino.

03 series adds filler and diverges from the manga at around the Greed arc because the manga still hadn't ended. Brotherhood follows the manga closely.

2003 :
Al gets back his body after Ed sacrificed himself by going to another world/dimension.

FMAB :
Al sacrifices his soul to retrieve Edward's right arm, who in turn destroys Father's (final boss) Philosopher's Stone, sending him back to the divine Gate of Truth from which he was created.
Ed then sacrifices his ability to perform alchemy to resurrect Al's soul AND body.

In both versions they couldn't revive their mother.

Cheeky one bruv. You coming down to the shubs later doe?

>original story

DROPPED

What's the difference between this FMA vs FMA:B thread and the 9002 earlier ones.

Fight.

things like this

FMA 2003 follows a mostly original story. Brotherhood follows the manga, which is essentially a shitty shounen.

Don't watch Brotherhood.

The 03 version is good and has a consistent theme. If you can get over the plot problems and simply appreciate what they mean in terms of character and theme you will be good.
The brotherhood version is a bad adaptation of a manga that ended up just decent by the end.
If you like reddit or MAL I strongly recommend brotherhood.