Basic Income trial starting in California

Next year a random sample of residents from Stockton California will get $500 per month ($6,000 a year) with no strings attached. The study will be funded by Facebook.

If done right, I think this could be a good way to simplify the welfare system and cut down on bureaucratic costs of administering the current system.

vox.com/policy-and-politics/2017/10/18/16479796/stockton-california-basic-income-economic-security-experiment

Other urls found in this thread:

livemint.com/Politics/5w60abRSOBQHpj8xxGP3fP/Universal-Basic-Income-doesnt-make-the-poor-lazy-Iranian-e.html
youtube.com/watch?v=oDkHLPanjkQ
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Awesome , now I can bum around the rest of my life

Thanks automation!

If California fully implements this, they will have the most successful economy in the world.

that's 1/3rd their rent probably.
fucking useless.

I never understood why Sup Forums was against this, don't you want free money guys?

>funded by Facebook
This is the government?

Jesus Christ doesn't Cali already have a spending problem? Are they going to have to make gas $30 a gallon to pay for this shit?

Unless they have a serious job shortage this is nothing short of buying voters.

>giving it to randoms in an area
>not giving it to the whole area
So basically they just want to create hatred and division in this area.

>Stockton

they finna die

remember the documentry where they give the homeless guy 100k and he ends up homeless again quick. poor people dont need $ they need job training and basic education. extra 500 will go to partying,cars debt & all will end up lazier. give a wild animal food and then stop = dead. major fucked up to harm people like that with handouts

As long as it's private institutions doing what they want with their own money idgaf what they do. They're going to find out what it's like flushing money down the toilet though.

The next several decades are going to be intensely violent. They have no solution to the death of mass labor demand aside from bribes and communist revolution.

Heh here take this bribe and dont kill me plz haha brb gonna go put hormones in the well haha

they'll be spent on macbooks, iphones, and cromed rims
screencap this

Giving people free money causes prices to go up due to increased demand.

Prices go up just high enough where the free money is negated.

Suddenly need more free money.

Repeat ad infinitum.

I liveed in Stockton for a short while. Still have family living in that shithole. There are no apartments under $500. Unless these test dumbies can rent a room between $350-$400 and are willing to spend the rest on rice, beans, oats and a few ramen they will not survive. Let alone the area that will rent to you at that price would be a death trap. Seriously they will probably be robbed and killed long before they make it to the local gang infested market.

There's no such thing as "free money" it's either money stolen from someone else, or fake money the government has conjured up which will cause inflation.

$500 is too low to do shit in Ca, even in Stockton. I never understood why they discuss such low figures when talking UBI. $1000/mo isn't going to cut it in most of the country either. What do they think this will actually achieve?

I trust NOTHING funded by facebook in whole or in part.
that said, Iran did a universal basic income trial, and found that labor participation rates were about the same, with poorer service sector workers increasing their hours by putting money into their businesses, and some youth dropping out of the workforce and going back to school.
livemint.com/Politics/5w60abRSOBQHpj8xxGP3fP/Universal-Basic-Income-doesnt-make-the-poor-lazy-Iranian-e.html

Then where did it come from in the first place?
>being this jewish

those people don't need more money for drugs

It's just their new method of keeping a perpetual low wage underclass.

>look at these table scraps we throw at you, aren't we nice?
>wasteful government spending, over taxation and over-regulation stifles your local economy? of course not
>look at these table scraps we're throwing at you, we're helping!
>pls keep voting for us so you can stay in poverty

and it also allows for more people to afford to start businesses that lower the price of goods

it works both ways

your argument is a lie from hell because then you might as well never want increasing wages because then they will just increase the price of everything!!! derp

Oh this is gonna be good how the liberals will swing people buying drugs with it as a plus.

I get twice that per month for my autism and I'm still poor

>Stockton
Of all the places to choose they went with detroit 2.0?

>stockton

This will do nothing but stimulate drug economy in the San Joaquin Valley

i prefer universal income for poor/homeless people who cant afford to live/ stuck without a job

i could give 2 fucks about giving every middle class and rich person free money

lmao $500 a month, boy they are torture artists for sure

We should only give "guaranteed income" if we get something back for it - like sterilization or at least not having kids for the period you're on it.

why do you care how many humans there are

you have a demon living in your brain

i cast him out in the name of jesus christ

So Facebook is looking to integrate themselves into the Stockton drug trade?

>$500 a month in California

not enough. do these people retain other benefits like housing and food stamps?

my beliefs is replace all forms of welfare with a cash payment to the minimum standard of living

for only the people who need it / stuck without a job and are poor

this UBI doesnt achieve any purpose

were supposed to cure homeless

>stuck without a job

how do you define "stuck without a job"?

someone who is poor and unemployed or homeless

thats the only people who should get ubi

giving it to everybody is pointless and just decreases the standard of living you could provide as a baseline safety net for the actual people who fall through teh cracks

Why would anybody work if you could just survive by not working? Personally i would work under the table and get my gibs

>we
Who's we, and why are they so jewish?

Then it's not universal, is it?

So you mean to tell me....that they are going to do this in Stockton, but not for the fire torn families?

...backed by the rest of America.

The theory is that the US receives some amount of passive income from its natural resource endowments and its financial and other investments, and that income should be passed along to all citizens in equal measure, rather than flowing directly to the investing classes.

okay let me rephrase: how do you define "stuck"?

wouldn't it be better for society if we instead put that $500 towards providing job opportunities for homeless even if it's something bullshit like sign twirling?

The costs associated with starting a business would too go up.
Your argument is invalid.

you could you would just be living on a minimal living

you would say to yourself i might as well try to make more

thats why i dont like the term UBI

i say NIT usually

but UBI for the poor is my other way of saying it

universal is pure evil who want to pay money to people who dont need it

so what if some nigger decides to stab you in the gut from behind and you are now in crippeling debt and paralysed from the waste down, im sure youd put your hand out for help.

>not understanding economics 101
What is equilibrium price nigger?

They had insurance, or should have.
Stocktonites almost certainly don't.

You don't like UBI at all, then. You like cash aid to the needy, which is an entirely separate thing. Why must you co-opt terms and confuse matters? Are you a Democrat professional who expects to be hired to sort the deserving from the undeserving?

youtube.com/watch?v=oDkHLPanjkQ

>and it also allows for more people to afford to start businesses that lower the price of goods
>people can afford small business
Well memed :^)

This experiment is retarded and proves nothing, just like the one they did in Namibia.
Surely their quality of life is likely to go up. They have an extra 6k per year, regardless if they waste it on iphones, rims and drugs.
My problem is that it is funded by an outside entity. If you wanted to actually test if UBI, the monthly allowance would have to be paid by the exact same group who is receiving it.
Or do they think that, if applied to a whole country, there will still be an outside entity willing to supply the gibs?

Bait

competition lowers prices

if you have any money at all transfering to the lower class they will eventually build up enough to start businesses more so than without the ubi transfer

fact.

and that would in turn create more product and more competition and lower prices

you dont get one side of the coin

This will be a good test scenario.
>People restarting from nothing in really poor environment after a natural disaster.
>Good-for-nothings get free money - can they accomplish anything this time.

Zickerberg trying to establishment a platform for his presidential campaign. He has talked about universal basic income many times as a political stance

I really really hope they don't fabricate any results or cherry pick who receives the money.

I don't get it. Nothing is free. You're paying for this with your tax money. It only helps poor fucks on welfare who can't afford to pay taxes

ubi isnt a real thing that makes sense to do anything at all

thats why im co-opting it

why would you give 100$ to everybody and barely help anybody

you want to help people who are in need yes thats the whole point of civilization

ubi makes compllete and utter nonsense

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for life.

Yes lower the incentive to actually work. What a great idea! I'm sure business there won't start suffering from a worker shortage and be forced to move away. Revolutionary!!!

>you want to help people who are in need yes thats the whole point of civilization

no it isn't. the point of civilization is to make everybody's life better not just the people "in need".

People can afford to say 'fuck you' to their bosses and capture the value for themselves. You know that businesses with only the proprietor and no employees are still businesses, right?

Is that the latest democrat meme?

>thats why im co-opting it
You're only making yourself look like a babby-tier Democrat shill when you do that.
>why would you give 100$ to everybody and barely help anybody
That $100 could help people a lot. Someone who really needs that $100 on top of their current wage in order to lever up to a better job, for example, creates a new opening at the bottom. If it spurs people to produce more, as it did in trials in Iran, doesn't that help everyone? Or are you just being a neoliberal shitlord?
>ubi makes compllete and utter nonsense
Why are you assuming that money shouldn't be everyone's to have in the first place?

>I think this could be a good way to simplify the welfare system and cut down on bureaucratic costs of administering the current system.

Notice that the sums involved are nowhere near that needed to live. I'm sure the advocates will declare what's really needed is $50k to $70 per annum.

Sure, a blue state is going to give up its employees. They'll be moved to other benefits programmes. And of course some recipients will blow their cash and then moan that the state isn't taking care of them.

This pilot scheme is simply conducted so the advocates can declare "success" upon its conclusion. It's nothing more than to hoodwink people.

>The project — known as the Stockton Economic Empowerment Demonstration (SEED) — will be, in a way, the purest expression to date of Silicon Valley’s passion for basic income proposals, which many tech entrepreneurs and investors see as a necessary way to support Americans if artificial intelligence and other automation advances lead to unemployment for vast swaths of the population.

kind of an interesting thought...

I had to live in Stockton for five months earlier this year.

This is kinda irrelevant, but here's what happened with Stockton.

Stockton used to be a nice, suburban neighborhood back in the day. It had nice communities and nice schools. However, the dot com bubble hit. Gradually, all the poor people who were living in the bay couldn't afford to live next to the rich yuppies making tons of money. So what did they do? They were displaced to Stockton.

What did the native rich Stocktonians do? They realized that the bay was where the money was, and they all fled to the bay. They noticed the number of minorities going up, the crime going up, and they all fled.

This led to Stockton being a shithole. And I mean absolute shithole. The average person crossing the sidewalk looks like a zombie from L4D2, and the line at the bus station looks like the people were straight out of an insane asylum. I was at the dollar tree right across from the post office when the guy behind me is short 10 cents on a tube of toothpaste and explains to the cashier he has no money since he just got out of jail. You make a right turn and you see senile old people riding their electric wheelchairs in the bike lane.

No amount of basic income will save Stockton, it's fucked. A combination of low IQ, mental illness, and white flight really did a number on the city and it's almost become absolute shit.

That said, Stockton isn't all terrible. At least the food is good and cheap and fresh and you can get loaded street tacos for $1.00-$1.50. Lots of fresh produce due to its location. I paid around $420 for my own bedroom in a house at the nicest, cleanest, and furthest away from downtown neighborhood.

I don't know what this study is trying to do. Stockton is about the worse place you can do this in, and it just seems like it's setting itself up to fail. People in Stockton aren't gonna change their lives around, they're just gonna buy some more crack.

They may actually need these tech companies to start paying some real taxes to pay for this one.

They're all very progressive, so I'm sure they'll have no problem chipping in.

>>Prices go up just high enough where the free money is negated.

my god you are so fucking stupid

>Notice that the sums involved are nowhere near that needed to live. I'm sure the advocates will declare what's really needed is $50k to $70 per annum.
Probably not, definitely not in Stockton. I think you're just doing a pleb-tier reduction-to-absurdity argument and should go back2reddit.
>Sure, a blue state is going to give up its employees
That's the thing about UBI that corporate democrats hate: it doesn't employ enough of their liberal yuppies in deciding who's worthy and who's not.
Maybe you should stop making predictions as if your prejudices were facts, and let the damned study play out.

no its not about making every bodies life better the rich and the middle class have high standard of living already

from a moral view it only matters to help the people who dont need it instead of mindlessly throwing money at people who are fine

let them keep their own money then it serves no purpose if everybody gets ubi

the middle class will basically be getting their own money back like social security

what the fuck does that do

Basic income only works when you have super strong borders. The welfare state cannot exist with mass immigration.

>The study will be funded by Facebook.

What's going to happen is they're going to lose the will to work and they're going to have to up the UBI to cover lost revenue. And this is why it will never work on a mass scale, without ENFORCING MANDATORY EMPLOYMENT. of some sort.

>a random sample of residents
>if done right

well already fucked that up. if you want to realistically test basic income, you need to give it to an overwhelming majority of the population. the important effects are not individual, they are market-wide.

That will make the economy flourish like you've never seen.

A genuine study would provide the sum needed for a person to live w/o any additional gibs and support and would also remove the state workers employed to support the test group.

And you can fuck off back to The Root or Black Planet, jigaboo.

>super strong borders to prevent mass immigration.
More like you would need super strong boarders to prevent businesses from leaving

It will work well.
This trial run and the results will seal Zuck the presidency.

>That will make the economy flourish...
Yeah, China's economy.

Communism tried this. We'll see what happens.

>Basic income only works when you have super strong borders. The welfare state cannot exist with mass immigration.
An agency that cuts checks should be able to know its citizens from its illegals, shouldn't it? We have E-VERIFY, we just don't force employers to use it.

>What's going to happen is they're going to lose the will to work
That didn't happen in Iran, or literally any other place UBI has been tried. Wanna update your shill sheet, jew?

>A genuine study would provide the sum needed for a person to live w/o any additional gibs
Not if that's not the policy being investigated. This is for helping the poor join the working poor and for the working poor to get a leg up and half a chance to reach escape velocity.
>genuine studies are designed to give the result I want them to
You have a great future as a trojan horse in a public agency.

Has UBI ever been tried in a situation where the monthly allowance is supplied by those who receive it? If not, then how can you expect it to work on a country-wide level?

>you can get loaded street tacos for $1.00-$1.50.

I'm sure the workers will keep dishing up $1 tacos when they have the alternative to simply collect UBI for doing nothing.

the IRS is going to have a field day with this
should be a huge trainwreck

Did you look up the Iran example?
Typically, UBIs are funded by resource taxes and other state "profits". One way to think of it is as profit sharing.
The US, unlike your shithole nigger country, is sovereign in its own currency and doesn't need to recycle dollars. It can print them into existence and destroy them out of existence at will.

They have a culture of sharing, even if that means selling street tacos. You, clearly, are a parasite.

Can you even survive on $500 a month in California?

>They have a culture of sharing

Then why are these wonderful sharers charging the customers?

>being this retarded
So your idea is basically "just print more money". Fantastic stuff, mate. Surely that will work!

>Is stockton the worst city in CA?
>Is CA the worst state in the US?
>Is stockton the worst city in the worst state in the US?
>Is Highway 4 (Stockton-Disco Bay) the worst road in America?

Because you jewniggers are charging him to live, so he has to pass on the expense.

No, not independently unless you like living in a tent and don't require electricity.

it's beer money.

Did you ignore the first two lines of my answer just to make that sarcastic wisecrack?
Print more money, and tax the fuck out of the rich assholes who think they're special. There's a balance to be had, you know. Or, you would know if you weren't part of the jewish problem.

That won't even cover rent. If you can't afford to survive, it doesn't qualify as basic income.

HAHAHAAA as long as there ghetto people around then California will always be a shithole. When will Trump deport illegals in California.

So the sharing taco maker came from a culture of sharing where he wasn't charged to live?

Fascinating fantasy, numbskull. Any more tall tales to tell us?

magnetize all the libtards to California.

um no sweetie

melanin only