Why does nobody ever talk about this piece of art on here? Has nobody but me seen it? Is it too deep for Sup Forums?

Why does nobody ever talk about this piece of art on here? Has nobody but me seen it? Is it too deep for Sup Forums?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=SZtUhUFuukQ
youtube.com/watch?v=W5BjghtXQpA
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

cause it sucks and butchers the novels

It was probably too deep for me but I enjoyed the atmosphere anyway. It came as close to real horror as I've seen in the medium, it was creepy as fuck.

I liked it.

I watched it a long time ago so my memory of it isn't that good. What did you think of it OP? Assuming it wasn't too deep for you of course.

I can't deny that it was partially too deep for me. I liked it alot though. Usually not a huge fan of surreal late 90s/early 2000s anime (absolutely hated Lain and thought it was pretentious as fuck), so this was pretty surprising.

>surreal late 90s/early 2000s anime
You mean there is more!?

Simply:

>it's not lineal and some fags are unable to follow it, even though it's pretty straight-forward.
>it requieres you to had read novels 1 and 5 to understand the story completely.
>7 Seas will not publish the rest of the novels, no one will ever bother to fan translate them.

It's spooky and confusing and Boogiepop is badass but that's it.

Novels are better and at least the pages don't look like they were smeared with shit and vaseline

Not that nice to look at but it captures the mood of horror and mystery fairly well, while superficially touching on the modern issues of the 90's
It was hard to follow but I never read that the novels so I only have myself to blame
OP is also amazing, I want to learn that song

Not OP but there is pet shop of horrors.
Pretty good shit. I'd argue better than this one.

youtube.com/watch?v=SZtUhUFuukQ

This is this thread's BGM now.

I watched some of it but it was incomprehensible because it adapted like the third volume of a series of novels or something. It looked cool as fuck though.

I watched soem of it and it's impossible to follow, don't be dumb.

What's happening on the series can be easily understood without having read the books. Reading them only gives you more insight on what the fuck Echoes was, and why there were two Boogiepop.

It didn't adapt anything. The plot was original. It does reference the first (the thing that kickstarted the plot) and the fifth novel.

Ok, I'll be sure to give it a second try.

I watched this way back in the early 2000s on DVD. From what I've read, the novels are much more straightforward, but the creative staff decided that Naked Lunch was the best movie ever and we got the Boogiepop Phantom TV series. I don't know if the series was supposed to be familiar to people who read the novels, but I came to the show knowing absolutely nothing, and its definitely not an easy watch.

The sound design in this anime is fucking amazing. Some of the best audio work in a TV series I've ever heard. The attention to detail and atmosphere is fantastic.

As for the show... I'm not sure it would survive a rewatch nowdays. I remember the narrative being especially fractured, with the directors going out of their way to hide information and leave things unexplained. While most of the things that are relevant to the main plot get addressed, there are a lot of details that stay completely unexplained. Several of the individual episodes present little stories that are more interesting than whats going on in the main plot, and its really the moment to moment WTFness that'll keep you going rather than any big payoff or reveal. The ending is incredibly anticlimactic, and the revelations we do get just kind of irritated me back then.

However, the one thing this show gets right is atmosphere. It just nails this sense of strange and surreal horror, and the entire show has a dreamlike vibe to it. Its the kind of series where you will either completely resonate with its artistic vision, or you will find it unbearably weird and pretentious. If you're one of those people it clicks with (I was), then its fucking awesome despite its flaws. It's one of those rare shows where there really is almost nothing else like it. I think its worth seeing for that alone.

"Easily understood" is an exaggeration, but almost everything is in there. Except for the context on Manticore, Echoes, and Fear Ghoul. It's effectively a bunch of side stories.

Well, at least it is easy if you pay attention. The Manticore is name dropped but is not really that important to the main plot. I mean, it's all about Echoes and how its dead fucked everything.

The stuff about Fear Ghoul and the other enhanced humans was left vague as fuck, though. Snake Eyes' monologue about all the "backstory" without any context was almost trolling.

Boogiepop was fucking amazing. It also had the best OP and ED.

Without having read the novels it's not obvious what's actually important. It'd be very easy to get distracted trying to keep track of things like where every scene and story fits with the others, or who everyone is. There's a fair bit going on, and the presentation makes it easy to miss things.

It's fantastic, but it took a second watch for me to truly grasp what was going on. Probably one of my favorite OSTs:

youtube.com/watch?v=W5BjghtXQpA

Since I never had ever read the novels I didn't had a clue the bigher plot was about, but you can watch it as series of strange tales, like The Twilight Zone. As stated, the atmosphere is perfect, I only watched Boogiepop at night in complete silence and with no lights to realy imerse myself

The only anime that has succeeded in scaring me.

Used to be one of my all time favorites for reasons pointed out, I really need to give it a rewatch though to see how much I'd still like it. For some reason I was fine with most of the mysteries being just that, but I did expect what went down with Saotome and the pillar of light to be explained so I did read the first three light novels after that and watched the garbage live action movie. I even forgot Spooky Electric had a brief appearance in the show despite having a cool name until I rewatched it.

It's got a sick ass OP/ED combo and I remember liking the music but listening to this makes me think I'd like it even more now. I liked how dark and grimy it looked even though it kind of looked cheap, but the "fog" going down or whatever and the last episode looking normal was a nice story touch.

I want to read the prequel novel some day but having just looked it up it's stupidly expensive now even though the other ones are dirt cheap. I'm kind of glad they only brought out the novels they did though, having read some synopsis on later ones it sounds like it gets stupidly convoluted with multiple spin-offs and having it tie into every series the author ever wrote, I'd rather keep the story pared down even if everything isn't answered.