After finishing Gate ss2, i just want to say that the similarity to real life conflict is chilling...

After finishing Gate ss2, i just want to say that the similarity to real life conflict is chilling. Japan here in the anime seems to mirror America and their involvement in various countries a lot.
Is this suppose to be nationalistic or satire?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comfort_women
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comfort_women
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nanking_Massacre
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Legal_fiction
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

I want to put my penis in Pina.

>Japan shows that is STRONK against people that haves the technological level of the early middle ages

kek

It's supposed to be nationalist, and ends up being ultra-nationalist. In case you didn't notice, the film refuses to show the JSDF doing anything bad ever, shows Japanese special forces kicking US, Russian, and Chinese special forces ass, and portrays journalists as stawmen who want the JSDF literally disbanded.

I don't mind nationalism, and believe the Japanese are more than entitled to their share of flag waving and moto-boners, but some of GATE was plain overdoing it.

Also the whole plot where they get self righteous over the prince raping some Japanese woman was laughable, considering how recently Japan was pulling that shit and how they still have a complex about acknowledging it.

>the film

The author was a soldier, right? And aren't men always proud of serving in the army regardless of the country? That's your answer.

My mistake, I need to stop posting while watching

GI Samurai was better

>JSDF
>doing jackshit

>considering how recently Japan was pulling that shit and how they still have a complex about acknowledging it.
what happened?

dubs happened

It's almost as if I was watching an american movie!

>invent some random crazy bullshit so that the self-defence force can technically invade somewhere in self-defence
Why not just make it a parallel universe, or just say the law changed.

Nah, doing good things portrayed as good is just nationalism. Ultra nationalism is doing bad things and portraying them as good,

Also, part of the point is that Japan has successfully adopted TRUE WESTERN VALUES. Which sort of ignores that when they were doing their colonizing shit, they were also attempting to embody western values from an earlier time.

It is a parallel universe.

>Nanjing denial the anime

no thanks

So when is season 3 coming out? They left the ending quite open.

I meant a parallel earth, where japs didn't get raped or where there was no ww2 so that they can have a proper standing military.

GATE never makes a statement like that you retard

Yeah, that's where they're going, a parallel Earth, with their proper standing military.

An American movie would catch way more heat from mainstream media than GATE does from Sup Forums and redditors.

Yes he was, and I have no issue with his portrayal of military service from the perspective of a grunt. I actually think the first two thirds of season 1 were excellent, as they were almost entirely Itami and company rolling around, pitting the hurt on sword wielding fools and dragons, and collecting waifus.

What I thought he horribly was was anything that addressed greater political issues. Most of his portrayal of the whole politcal aspect of GATE was NIPPON STRONK GO HOME GAIJIN. The only intelligent analysis made on the subject was when the one officer was telling Itami about how Japan's claiming of the Special Region entirely for itself may isolate them from the rest of the world but that the resources they're gaining may make that course of action viable. After that it went back to "the rest of the world is a bunch of incompitent mustache twirling villains who want to take our rightful clay."

It's a show with dragons and Gothic Lolis, so I didn't go in expecting much realism, but as the show progressed the writer's delusions of Japanese superiority in all aspects became hard to ignore.

>Japan does have an army, navy and air force. However, Japan's armed forces are constitutionally limited to self defense. The country's constitution bans it from having a traditional standing army. But its so-called Self Defense Force is one of the world's most sophisticated armed bodies.
You don't seem to be following me.

Japan can't invade countries, they have a self-defence force but not a traditional military.

So the author invented some random ass loophole that allows the JSDF to invade because it's technically japan somehow.

Clearly you were not here for the threads.

>GO HOME GAIJIN.
Threadly reminder that Japanese conservatives like the author are actually quite enamored of the US.

>women want the MC dick by her own will
>comfort women never existed

t.Tojo

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comfort_women

The Japanese Empire was pretty brutal in how it treated conquered peoples during WW2. However, unlike the rest of the world they still refuse to own up to it, which is still a sticking point relations between Japan and pretty much the rest of Asia.

You don't seem to be following me.

Japan isn't invading, they are reacting in self defense to an attack from territory that is now Japanese because there is a land connection between it and Japan. Totally legit!

One of us is taking this conversation seriously.

Exactly. Fiction mirroring real life.

Nah you're just mad because they pictured your nation as part of the bad guys.

>>women want the MC dick by her own will
So literally every harem ever is nanjing denial? Holy shit user, you just opened my eyes. To think I was watching japanese propaganda all this time and I had no idea.
I won't address your other point because I don't understand what the flying fuck you're trying to say.

Pretty much this. The amount of Ideology in this anime is staggering.

Pina joins the harem in the novels?

IS the web novel finished? if yes, how it ends?

Fun fact. Pina In swedish means a pain/something annoying.

fits her perfectly

>that side braid
picked up

>It's a show with dragons and Gothic Lolis, so I didn't go in expecting much realism

That's such an irritating excuse to see so constantly, it ignores the concept of suspension of disbelief.

No I'm disappointed that the author couldn't come up with a remotely intelligent solution to the fact that Japan is a weak non-nuclear nation that is now sitting on a planet's worth of lightly defended natural resources. Whoever controls the Special Region would become the richest and most powerful nation on Earth, and there's only one access point to it. No nation with it's shit even remotely together would let another nation control the gate uncontested, and would easily be willing to start WW3 over it.

There isn't an even half decent explanation for why the JSDF didn't get curb stomped by US Marines, the PLA, or totally not Russian just pro-Russian Japanese Separatists.

Instead, we get "Well turns out Japanese special forces are super soldiers, better go home" and that's the end of international involvement in the story.

They bought a few whores in Korea and China. This is somehow worse than destroying cities with firebombing and atoms bombs.

>anime seems to mirror America and their involvement in various countries a lot

Not really. The anime has the military fussing over the political ramifications of their actions and the government wringing its hands over public perception.
In the US, the military isn't so beholden to the whims of government especially given that their kill counts and death ratios would be completely obscured by the far-away theater of operations.
The whole JSDF operation in the special region is timid and weak by American standards.

I was and American Sniper which came out around the same time got tons of flack and wasn't a quarter as self-righteous or military-wank as this which got virtually no shit. Unless you count minority of posters on an anonymous imageboard as getting the same level of shit that got.

>Whoever controls the Special Region would become the richest and most powerful nation on Earth

How exactly would that happen? Cheaper resources mean jack-shit if you can't sell your products anymore since you cut yourself off from the world. The domestic Japanese market isn't big enough even for free resources to outweigh the cost of ruining your export-oriented economy.

>No nation with it's shit even remotely together would
do something stupid like ruining its economy just for some resources.

>Japan can't invade countries, they have a self-defence force but not a traditional military.
>So the author invented some random ass loophole that allows the JSDF to invade because it's technically japan somehow.
The author understands how the laws work better than you.

Here is what has happend; Japan was attacked, and now they are in the process of re-writing the Constitution in order to allow a counter-attack. However a change in the Constitution can take a year or more, and they can't wait that long. They need to respond NOW.

Due to the 9/11-esque honeymoon period, the government and the opposition party are united in agreement that they need to fight back ASAP. Thus they invented what is known as "Legal Fiction", the idea that you treat something untrue as being true for legal convenience, to bypass current laws until the laws have time to be re-written.

This is only possible because the government and the voters were unified, as a legal fiction can only be accepted by a lack of objections. Thus the government outright said that they are treating the area inside the Gate as Japanese territory, for the purpose of initiating the counter attack. That is all it is for, to save time. That legal fiction would be removed when the Constitution is finally changed later on.

How often does legal fiction happen in the real world?

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comfort_women
>Many of the women were from occupied countries, including Korea, China, and the Philippines, although women were used for military "comfort stations" from Burma, Thailand, Vietnam, Malaysia, Taiwan (then a Japanese dependency), Indonesia (then the Dutch East Indies), East Timor (then Portuguese Timor), and other Japanese-occupied territories. Stations were located in Japan, China, the Philippines, Indonesia, then Malaya, Thailand, Burma, New Guinea, Hong Kong, Macau, and French Indochina. A smaller number of women of European origin were also involved from the Netherlands and Australia.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nanking_Massacre
>50,000–300,000 dead

Your dishonest portrayal of Japanese sex slaves aside, this isn't about who committed the worst crimes. Japan still refuses to admit to their actions during the war, long after the rest of the world has owned up to theirs. Additionally, what little they did admit too is being actively retracted by Abe and nationalists like the author of GATE. All they are accomplishing is making themselves look like a bunch of petulant children who cannot understand the concept of an apology or moving on after making a mistake.

Like no ally nation that took part in dresden will ever admit it was a war crime, because they won and shit like war crime only matter if you lose.

>How often does legal fiction happen in the real world?
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Legal_fiction
Every time a child is legally adopted, the original birth parents become unrelated to the child by legal fiction.

"Corporations are People" is a legal fiction.

It is hard to abuse legal fiction, as in general you can only get it created when everyone is on your side. And it can be teared down easily if enough people get annoyed at it. It is considered temporary scaffolding that you build around existing laws.

It's not about cheaper resources, it's about being able to domestically source everything, from raw materials to agriculture. You can't sanction a county that doesn't need anything from you. The only way to enforce your will on a country like that is to invade it, and while Japan would lose now, if you give them a couple extra continents to grow their people and industry with the resources and agriculture base to support it, you're looking at an undisputed superpower if you give them enough time.

yes, sure, good things, like co-operating with Mob bosses to get a foothold in the capitol.

Most of the 'good' things they are doing are pretty standard by our society judges things, but comparatively to theirs it seems like it's good.

But yeah, that totally makes it so nationalist that everyone including yourself wants to suck big jap dongers because of it, right?

The difference is that the Allies never denied that event. If they approached it the way the Japanese do their own actions Obama would be vehemently stating that there is no evidence to support the claim that Dresden was firebombed and that any burned out buildings were the result of local arsonists, then proceed to demand that Germany apologize for the V2 rockets.

You're still missing the point that an export-oriented economy will lose much more than gain from it.
Being resource-independent is only really important if you want to start a big war. Otherwise you'll want access to the markets not only the get resources, but also to sell your products and most resources are cheap anyway.

They didn't cooperate with the mob bosses, they mowed them down in the street, sniped off the survivors, and fed their leader a grenade.

Additionally
>Not a single JSDF soldier reacts realistically to an honest to god dragon, and it fails to kill a single one of them.
>Kuribayashi is a literal god of bayonet combat
>MC looks like an average dude but is actually a super elite soldier (And don't give me that crap about how he got through on pure laziness he shanks a motherfucker 10 minutes into episode 1)
>That whole shitshow with the special forces where the JSDF wipes the floor on the Americans, Russians, and Chinese at the same time.

I may not have been sucking Japanese dick by the time I finished the show, but the author was sure sucking his own.

>The difference is that the nobody fucking care because there's no political capital to be gained from it
Fixed that for you, war crimes are a skeleton in the closet that are better left unmentioned unless you have something to gain from it. I mean who remember abu ghraib or that "accidental" shooting of a MSF hospital?

bumping my questions for genuine curiosity

>Pina joins the harem in the novels?
In the original webnovel she is part of the harem. In the canon published novels she WANT to have him as her prince consort because it actually benefits her, but by the time she decided it is a good idea Itami is actually over-qualified. She might be a princess, but Rory out-ranks her socially as a demigod. And Pina basically looks like a desperate gold-digger and even attempted to roofie him.
>IS the web novel finished? if yes, how it ends?
The webnovel finished but it hardly matters because we are way past that already. I think it ended as an ordinary harem. Nothing worth worrying about because the canon story has expanded past being a harem story.

>curb stomped
Because the US is explicitly expecting Japan to fuck it up and ask for the Americans to come bail them out, at which point they get to white knight AND get a majority chunk of the resources without having to do the initial work.

The other two won't try anything because Uncle Sam says it has Japan's back, and Russia using the separatist excuse wasn't a thing until 2014. This was written in more like 2004.

Actually read/watch the thing you're bitching about, or you just might come off as a fucktard

i'm pretty sure "my nation" wasn't even mentioned in gate, and I agree with his post

If anything, she should be HIS consort

You apparently have not noticed that you are on Sup Forums, not Sup Forums, and that anime is slightly less notable to the wider public than wide release movies, so your argument is invalid.

And American Sniper is pretty goddamn self righteous.

>>>Not a single JSDF soldier reacts realistically to an honest to god dragon, and it fails to kill a single one of them.
By the time they encountered it they had spent over a day seeing it at distances, evaluating the aftermath, and knuckling down to evac some civvies who were quite clear on their thoughts. By the time it got to them, the unfamiliarity that breeds panic had already been stamped out.

>>>Kuribayashi is a literal god of bayonet combat
Yes, this is silly, but awesome to behold.

>>>MC looks like an average dude but is actually a super elite soldier
Man, I've never encountered that in a single other piece of media!

>>>That whole shitshow with the special forces where the JSDF wipes the floor on the Americans, Russians, and Chinese at the same time.
We only spent about 15 threads arguing about this. They had preparation, familiarity with the home terrain, and surveillance showing them exactly where the enemy was. The only mystery is why the Americans got so fucking deep in shit before they tried NOT dying and calling in the favor (the other two forces were sitting back and avoiding engaging, and suffered few to no casualties before the Japanese pulled back), and why all three nations thought a dark ops mission was a good idea in the first place.

>I mean who remember abu ghraib or that "accidental" shooting of a MSF hospital?
Abu ghraib was consistently remembered as long as the US occupied Iraq and it was relevant. What's with the quote marks? It was accidental; no western force likes reinforcing the perception that medical facilites are ok targets. The chain of fuckups and miscommunication is pretty clear.

>And American Sniper is pretty goddamn self righteous.
That was what all the people complaining about it said but I watched it and like half the movie was him having an internal conflict about having to kill women and children and the other half about him missing his family and people being damaged by the war. Hell even when they tried to do the right thing people got fucked

They charge baka gaijn ONE MIRRION YENS to cross the gate

Exactly. They're always trying to do the right thing. The woman and child at the beginning were legitimate targets trying to kill them, not collateral damage from an airstrike they called in or something. By the laws of war everything he did was a-ok, regardless of how he feels about it, and there's no grey.

>women and children are legit targets

burgers everyone

When they're actively trying to kill you, goddamn right they are.

>Japanese special forces kicking US, Russian, and Chinese special forces
I hate this meme. It's still purported even today?

It was Japanese Special Forces against alphabet soup blackop guys.

I loved the journalist in Gate
"I'm gonna take some staged photos and throw mud at these brave soldiers! I am such a leftist son of a bitch LMAO!"

What a shit show

Which makes it worse. If capturing the Special Zone people was so important, why in God's name did the writer have the Americans, etc, half ass it?

And he ended up doing fuck all. I rolled my eyes at him pretty hard, because he was just as "IM THE BAD GUY HERE" as the politician who was rebuked by Rori.

You can tell the author wanted to vent at anti-military politicians and journalists, and he didn't make it subtle at all.

Would've been better if instead of Japan it was Russia or some shit.

>he didn't make it subtle at all.
Literary finesse takes effort, you know. Welcome to the writing of Yanai Takumi.

Or better yet: have the United Nations decide to combine their forces and create a multinational force to enter the new world.

The conflict is just United Nations vs. New World, but with shades of grey as some countries want to back out, while others want all the land to themselves.

It's pretty much why I can't get into many anime. I just see plenty of wasted potential.

>Which makes it worse. If capturing the Special Zone people was so important, why in God's name did the writer have the Americans, etc, half ass it?
Because they only heard about the princess with two days to spare, so they only had one day to plan and one day to carry out the plan. They half-assed it because that's what they could get together in 24 hours that was off the books.

And the only reason they wanted to do this is because Japan denied the princess was ever in the country. So in theory they can grab Pina because she doesn't legally exist.

>Or better yet: have the United Nations decide to combine their forces and create a multinational force to enter the new world.
The new books would be about that. The point is that Japan delayed it as much as it could.

Shit, GATE, but with the group of main characters who go initially exploring being a group of fun, multinational stereotypes like a gung-ho american, a drunk russian, and a militant, state-minded chinaman sounds like it'd be fun as hell.

>Watching GATE

You have shit taste, user. You should read the manga if anything.

>Multinational force
>Letting soldier from a country that hate you and one you're still technically at war with in your capital
>When you can just convince a permanent member of the security council to veto anything
Do people really think the UN is anything more than a useless piece of shit in 2016?

But it was the actual case in journalism sometimes. Deliberately skews the truth, clickbait and all that shits

NGO do that all the time

That's true but this isn't real life. There's no reason to show the mass media picking on the brave hard working soldiers unless it's to do something

>The only intelligent analysis made on the subject was when the one officer was telling Itami about how Japan's claiming of the Special Region entirely for itself may isolate them from the rest of the world but that the resources they're gaining may make that course of action viable.

Ahaha literally Manchukuo and Co Prosperity Sphere 2 Electric Boogaloo.

Well, the writer is Japanese, and is writing about the military force he has experience with. if you want a Russian setting, then read a Russian writer. Pic related.

Oh wait, you can't because no one is translating them, animating them, or comic booking them and throwing them in your face for free. Bitch more.

The issue was that she was a caricature and a strawman. Corrupt journalists do exist, but the author did a piss poor job at writing one.

ITT: mad americans

News media is far, far more likely to sugarcoat the military than to be overly critical of it.

I didn't know there was a Russian GATE.

Not in an pro-peace nation like Japan

At least Muv Luv shows Japan being pants on head retarded.

More like ignorant. All of this shit was shot down again and again during the series threads, and it's following the same pattern of degrading into "well, I would have told the story DIFFERENTLY" with some half assed scenario once their beliefs are shown to be bullshit.

Then you weren't reading the threads, since that was posted about 20 times and discussed about 500 times.

Protip: Japan is not the US.

I'd rather compare it to something like Start Trek TNG and later. They are essentially portraying scifi colonialism, but claim to act with good intentions and positive results for everyone. It's hilarious how the show can't escape this criticism, it's almost like a parody despite not intended as parody.

>Then you weren't reading the threads

I didn't go to the anime threads because it was shit but I try to see the manga threads when I could.

>More like ignorant
It's understood that american includes ignorant on its definition.

Gate was shit the moment it went anywhere that wasn't modern military versus standard fantasy tropes.

And even then they should've had to struggle.

I don't care how many people wanted to dick her, Rory would've been an infinitely more interesting villain because she'd have stonewalled traditional fighting tactics.

I would've loved to see the conflict that arises from deciding you need to deal with a single person the way you would an armored battalion, or the fear that might come from finding out that didn't work.

All in all the tension would've been better once they fought the sort of fantasy things that would legit require heavy firepower only for the bureaucratic parts of modern military management prevents them for getting it. Having to hold out against multiple dragons before air support gets there. Magic casters abusing IT'S MAGIC I AIN'T GOTTA EXPLAIN SHIT to really fuck with military forces used to an enemy that can't turn invisible and cast Fireballs at them.

In some places it went too far, with nationalism and all that. An international force would've been better than JSDF wankery any day. In other places it was lacking. But hey, that's just my opinion, and I dropped it when the main got himself taking hostage by 's all-female order right after gunning down a bunch of all-male rogue mercenaries that stood as equally a small chance as Pina's group would've.

I'd have been all for him making an example and shock-and-awing them without actually hurting the knight order, but that was the point where the show indicated it was going to be incredibly one-sided about things and all the usual bad writing was going to plague it.

The main just came off too unprofessional a soldier to take seriously at that point. And even if it's for a paycheck I believe at least the core aspects of military are drilled into you by the time you're seriously serving.

this kind of discussion about wartime politics and the like is why i miss GATE threads, it's also why I enjoyed the Clone Wars threads on Sup Forums years back

in other news i really should pick my manga map recreation back up, even if only to properly finish it

Shut your pie hole. I like Itami's fantasy family.

Colonialism gets an undeserved bad rep considering the even shittier alternatives (worth reading stuff like "The Bow of Ulysses" for perspective, or say, the history of Rwanda for how independence made everything exponentially worse). Part of why I wanted to like the series, except the author doesn't know shit about geopolitics.

>implying that soldiers act professional when the officers are out of sight
We're just a bunch of kids with lethal toys, Itami unit was more professional than mine and some other I knew.