What the fuck did I just watch?

What the fuck did I just watch?

So basically, in the time between Gunbuster and Diebuster, humans developed a security system to fight off the aliens, but as humans continued to evolve they developed the ability to become "Topless" during adolescence, turning them into "gravity wells" that can manipulate space and time, which the security system they built to defend the solar system deemed as a threat, thus turning humanity's security system against humanity itself?

And Nono was built to control and stop this security force if it ever got out of control by implanting her with a human heart?

And Dix Neuf is Gunbuster?

This shit was more confusing than EoE.

Other urls found in this thread:

a.pomf.cat/qbhsab.webm
twitter.com/AnonBabble

>And Dix Neuf is Gunbuster
No, he's just a random buster machine. The gunbuster is half in a black hole, half on it's way back to earth.

Then how is Noriko's leotard in the cockpit? Or is that someone else's from the Gunbuster era?

Did you not watch the ending user? Go back and watch the fucking ending.

I saw the ending and thought it was really clever how they tied it in like that, but that's also why I was so confused since they made it out like Dix Neuf was Gunbuster.

He's not Gunbuster. He's just a really old buster machine.

So the leotard had no real significance other than just being a throwback? That's kind of disappointing.

It was to show how old the buster machine was. If I remember correctly he was one of the lower numbered buster machines, it was basically to show his age. I haven't watched it in years though, so I don't remember all the way.

He was and that makes sense, I guess that just wasn't enough to make me care. Most of this anime made me feel like that. Things kept happening that I felt like I was supposed to care about, but didn't, which is a massive difference from Gunbuster.

One thing that I noticed was that Diebuster pointed out how unfair it is that only teenagers are allowed to have superpowers. That many people grew old and was forced to disappear into the background. And then it's pointed out that the classic buster machines have no age limit. I think the studio was aware of their own age.

Yeah, the really unlikeable older guy who kept thinking he would prove himself and become Topless again definitely seems like he could have been a metaphor for certain Gainax staff. This came out when there was starting to be a shift in directors/producers there, right?

Well, sort of. Tsurumaki was the director of Die, I think, with Anno supervising. Like the Rebuilds. After Die is TTGL and PSG, Imaishi stuff.

I'm surprised Anno was supervising, it didn't feel anything like Gunbuster or Eva at all.

It was sort of a middle ground between TTGL and FLCL, wasn't it?

I thought the giant Nono holding the earth (or whatever it was that happened) was distinctly Anno, though.

Gunbuster was Buster Machine #1 and #2
Dix Neuf means 19. It is Buster Machine #19
Nono/Diebuster is Buster Machine #7

Remember, the lower numbers were stronger due to humanity throwing out all stops in the effort to destroy the space kaijuu before they get to earth. Buster Machine #3, the black hole bomb, is proof of that. Later buster machines were then made to pick off those kaijuu which managed to get past the defense network (Diebuster network). However, perhaps Diebuster operated so perfectly that it was left forgotten, all the while humanity began to evolve into beings similar to kaijuu themselves.

Dix Neuf is by itself impressive, a war veteran which got nerfed due to the horn, and was rated lower since then.

I still haven't seen FLCL but it does feel like it was setting the ground for TTGL in some ways, mostly through how over-the-top it got. There were a few moments that seemed like something Anno would have done, mostly tragic moments or the first time you see people start dying, which clashed with the more energetic vibe it had before that. The entire last episode felt like it probably had some Anno influence, but the directing overall was nowhere near as good and I didn't really care about any of the characters.

You really should watch FLCL, it's Tsurumaki's best, not to mention one of Gainax's best.

I do agree with both of those complaints.

It's next on my list of Gainax stuff to watch. I've seen the first episode before but wrote it off as too over-the-top and random at the top. The only other Gainax works I've seen are the Eva franchise, Gunbuster, and TTGL.

Watch pleiades

Does it hold up to their older stuff? Ever since Khara and Trigger took off I haven't even looked into what Gainax has been doing recently.

pleiades is the proof that the great old gainax is dead. its moecrap advertisement for subaru cars

Topless= Space Monsters power wise
Security system saw gravity wells and thought that they were the same, so it attacked humans

Is it actually or is that just a meme because one of the girls is named Subaru?

This.

It does.

Not this.

It was actually funded by Subaru. That has next to nothing to do with the content of the show though outside of a few clever nods.

Overall, each Gainax original is worth watching.

The closest it gets to being a "car commercial" is the brooms everyone flies around on sound like car motors and one of the girls is named Subaru. That's basically it.
Overall it's a really good show that manages to balance learning about the girls' past with fighting over space engine shards. I don't like it as much as gunbuster, but I like it way more than TTGL.

>the brooms everyone flies around on sound like car motors
That sounds really stupid. Does it take a while to adjust to or does it sound natural in-universe?

It's totally natural. As an aside, a lot of mahou shoujo (that's also targeted at adult males) have mechanical aspects to their flight.

I never noticed that, any examples?

The only mahou shoujo I've seen all the way through is CCS and I'm planning on watching Madoka next.

I'm still kind of new to anime, pls no bully

while( new to anime )
{
bully();
}
//you should be able to solve this user

That's a really good show, and if you're the same person from earlier, you have pretty good taste. Madoka is pretty good too.

By magical girl shows with mechanical elements, I mean stuff like Strike Witches, Nanoha and Symphogear. I haven't seen any of those, though.

>He didn't notice that the girls fly in a formation that resembles the Subaru logo.

Given how the logo is based on the Pleiades cluster, it fits anyway.

I think it's fine, decide for yourself user.
a.pomf.cat/qbhsab.webm

Seems like something I'd have to get used to, it is a little striking. I don't really expect brooms/magic wands to sound like automobiles. Makes them seem much more mechanical.

>Makes them seem much more mechanical
They are.

That's different then. As long as they're intended to be and it makes sense in-universe then I don't see it being a barrier at all.