Why did this series never take off?

Why did this series never take off?

Shonen Jump tried so hard to push it as the next big thing.

because all it ever did well was make you fucking hungry and when it stopped doing that it became just another shitty battle manga with fucking dog shit tier artwork and storytelling

He fucked up around the cooking festival arc. Before that it was great

Long running Toei adaptation that tried to make it a story for children although it's about monsters killing and eating everything.

because it's shit

Toriko was doing good intil DBZ came back from the dead so they shoved toriko aside and went to milk the cow again.

Anime had awful censorship

as a non-reader, I can tell you that the character design and linework always looked middle-schooler tier to me.

artstyle is too old school

it looks like something that'd have been a giant hit in the 80's but in today's market simply couldn't attract enough fangirls with homoerotic "rivalries" between cute fuccbois

The art isn't oldschool, and it's pretty fucking gay, so I'm not sure what you're on about.

And as former reader, I can tell you the author's idea of a good fight is the same as a boy in middle school's idea: big explosions.

giant ridiculously buff men haven't been a popular thing in shonen jump since hokuto no ken

the looks of jump protagonists since the 80's have clearly evolved specifically to attract female readers, toriko runs contrary to that

The abomination of an anime did it an incredible disservice.
And I suppose it kind of steered more toward fighting than food so some of the intrigue kind of petered out.

Too crazy and too homo of a ride for normies

The drawing style is extremely ugly.

The writing is bad.

Plot progression is completely fucked.

What it has going for it is an interesting setting and a couple of interesting characters and concept but the rest is one big giant turd swamp.

Lately it also additionally feels like the author had a series of strokes since the manga makes little to no sense.
No idea why they don't even axe it right away.

>giant ridiculously buff men haven't been a popular thing in shonen jump since hokuto no ken

Not relevant at all.

The problem is doodle-level artwork and paneling and a horrifically bad story.

It actually was popular in 2008-2011 but then after anime ended, it tanked horribly. Still, the last arc is pretty hype and it's definitely going to end better than Bleach.

Because the author is a pedophile.

If you think "the guys are buff" makes the art oldschool, I suggest you actually grab a page of Hokuto no Ken and compare it to Toriko.

>the problem is doodle level artwork
>before hiatuses hunter x hunter sold more than naruto
wew

>end better than Bleach.
Who cares? It doesn't take much to be end better than Bleach. Only retards were still reading it when it ended.

it was really fucking gay, the protag looks like shit