ITT: Influential Anime/Manga

In this thread, we discuss works that proved to be genuine gamechangers for the anime industry.

Whether you like the series' in this chart or not, there's no denying their immense influence on how they shaped the industry as a whole.

Other urls found in this thread:

mediafire.com/download/9l3brjglr27kel2/gamechangers.rar
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

That chart is missin some stuff.

>No sailor moon
>No monogatari
>No SAO
>No K-On
>No Madoka

Your chart is outdated.

>No sailor moon
Are you blind?

>putting NGE on the same chart as Astro Boy and Gundam
kek

Right, Didn't notice it at the bottom. It's my fault.

Osomatsu-Kun for slice of life?

>one piece
>NGE

What did one piece influence? It's just dragonball with pirates

Death note is not on there? No Akira?

>wan piss

How is madoka influential? If anything it takes influence from everything that's come before it.

One Piece didn't influence the industry nearly as much as Dragonball. Your chart sucks OP.

>no rurouni kenshin
>no studio ghibli movies

Haruhi = Modern moe/ Light Novel adaptation

>Nothing from Hayao Miyazaki

Seriously?

>not a single Dezaki anime

Creamy Mami is pretty much the mother of a lot of the modern magical girl tropes.

Also, Cyborg 009 user.

Needs Boku no Pico.

Saint Seiya, Hokuto no Ken, and Ashita no Joe need to be there, for creating Battle Shonen as we know them.

What did he influence?

Nausicaa brought about high budget anime films in the late 80s.

Anno? Everyone in Japan?

No it didn't.

How?

TV anime and Anime movies are different in so many things that doens't even counts as one. From the budget to the length. Regular anime never did what Miyazaki could do... not even as tribute, but movies like Paprika did.

You need to put SDF Macross on the list. At the very least it pushed sunrise to include transformable robots in cartoons for like ten years or so.
Also remove one piece.

How what?

Anno considers Eva his version of a prequel to it, or at least that's what I've read.

That makes sense.

Yeah, it really adds up.

Furthermore, there's his own work on the film, his desire to make a sequel to it, and of course his short film Giant God Warrior Appears in Tokyo.

>One Piece
What the fuck?
Also, you should probably rename it to just anime, since that seems to be what the focus is on.

Ideon also inspiried Eva and influenced a few things in gunbuster.

>Giant God Warrior Appears in Tokyo

Hah, I didn't know Anno made that. I know he directed that live action Cutie Honey movie though.

>anno was influenced by it, therefore it should be considered one of the most influential
>fucking space runaway ideon gets mentioned
This board is filled with idiots these days.

Yup, he also ran a tokusatsu museum exhibit.

Is there really a single Dezaki anime you can point to as game-changing individually? People just took inspiration from his directing style overall, as far as I know.

>It's okay to not mention an influential series that influences a series on the influential series chart

It's one of the most famous films from the must famous anime director of all time, and heavily influenced the creator of one of the most popular TV anime of all time. That doesn't necessarily mean it's broadly influential, but come on.

Not him, but that's not how it works, nigger. We aren't going to include every single thing that influenced anything on the chart, or else it'd never end.

Yes, it is.

Valid. I'd argue it's at least as influential as Slayers, for a start.

The man pretty much intentionally segregated himself away from the rest of the mainstream anime industry and did stuff in a different format, with a different directorial focus, than the typical model would (then or now) allow. He all but kicked himself off the list intentionally.

Was Macross the first show to introduce itano circus or did it just popularize it? I know it was in DYRL, but I don't remember any missile spams in SDF.

In long term influence, perhaps, but Slayers sparked a brief period of a bunch of imitators in the late 90s (or you could maybe argue it was just the first of a natural wave of that kind of fantasy, I don't know). I guess it'd come down to what type of influence we're going to count - does it have to be enduring, or does that kind of temporary burst qualify?

Both should qualify to some degree.

I just remembered the one in the daedalus attack, So there's that.

>one piece on the same chart as astroboy and dragonball
Is this a joke?

Where is Black Jack?

>K-On
It's descended from Lucky Star, but that doesn't belong on the chart either. If anything, Azumanga Daioh defined SOL in its modern form, but the genre already existed and wasn't really a "game changer" for anime.

You people really underestimate the importance of the Uchuu Senkan Yamato anime, a lot of directors and animatore cite it as inspiration.

>you people
Who? It's on the chart and no one has said anything against it.

Slayers was just an ecchi take on Lodoss Wars, should put that instead.

epic

Fuck I'm literally retarded and mistook it for GE999 because I'm on mobile and everything's so small.
Better kill myself now.

please make a flow chart of what influenced what

t hank u

>slayers
>ecchi
Kill yourself.

Kill yourself.

Kind of weird how it skips right from Wings to FLCL.

Why so? The chart is for really notable animation only.

Here's the .psd file if anyone wants it.

mediafire.com/download/9l3brjglr27kel2/gamechangers.rar

Don't try and act cute.

Not quite sure about Ranma, Slayers, and One Piece.

Did you read the legend? I have to assume that that same core animation staff wasn't together on any of Gainax's projects in the interim.

Eh the lsit isn't too bad but there's some glaring omissions.

For example Kinnikuman is a LOT more influential than Dragonball, despite not being as popular. Kinnikuman actually pretty much invented how WSJ action manga functioned. It was the first to do long arcs centered around action, and also one of the first to pointlessly revive characters from the dead and whatnot. The structure of WSJ and the shonen manga scene in general changed drastically from Kinnikuman, but Dragonball took that formula and did something even better out of it, turning into a worldwide phenomenon.

Also Slayers was not even close to be influential outside of maybe popularizing the adaptation of light novels.

Ranma - First harem
Slayers - First female lead in a shounen
One Piece - Shit

>Slayers - First female lead in a shounen
Slayers isn't even a shounen, faggot.

Yes it is you fucking idiot.

It's about influential animation based on animator Toshiyuki Inoue's opinion.

Ranma is not the first harem series. One Piece is actually a lot more influential than it due to establishing worldbuilding and war arcs in shonen like it did.

Oh, sorry, I think we both misunderstood it. The red line indicates that the change has taken place, ie that with FLCL it's the new, whereas Wings and Nadia, Gunbuster, NGE is all by the same core group.

Even though Tsurumaki worked on Nadia and NGE, but FLCL is a good point to mark a stylistic jumping off point.

>one piece is more influential than ranma

Captain Tsubasa and

Nope, shounen is a manga demographic, only manga and manga adaptations can be shounen. Lurk more.

Oh, I see.

>Ranma is not the first harem series
Name one that came earlier.

Haruhi popularised anime metacomedy 3 years before Monogatari did. K-on didn't really add anything to the comedy or SoL as genres. Madoka didn't really influence anything either.

SAO is the only one that really deserves to be there, for causing this fucking immeanse resurgence in isekai stories.

>I am literally too new to know how demographics work
Kill yourself.

>slayers
>first female lead in shonen
I highly doubt it

>Slayers - First female lead in a shounen
[citation needed]

>Slayers
>shounen
It's an LN, retard.

You're the one disputing the claim, therefore the burden of proof is on you, idiot.

First female lead in a shonen, off the top of my head, Cutie Honey?

What about Hokuto No Ken?

No, in fact that's the exact opposite of how it works. The burden of proof is on the one making the claim.

The chart really needs some Lupin the Third.

>cutey honey
>shounen

>Slayers
Talking out of your ass

I dunno specific examples by name but Go Nagai did harem manga like a decade before Ranma but it was a LOT more pervy.

Not in this instance, idiot. What do you even expect him to say?

>I can say whatever I want and it's automatically true!

Urusei Yatsura

Until proven otherwise. Evidently you're not smart enough to do that.

I expect him to provide a reliable source, obviously.

He's right, though. It was published in a shonen magazine.

You kids need to watch more anime.

>urusei yatsura
>harem
Idiot.

It is, retard. And Slayers is not. Learn how demographics work.

Doesn't matter which was the first harem because Love Hina was the one that actually influenced the genre and gave shape to what it is today.

Going by MU, you seem to be correct for anime.

Also having Sailor Moon and Cutie Honey on there seems kinda redundant.

What's a reliable source? An ANN article saying it was the first?

He claimed Lina is the first female MC of a shounen; it's up to you to provide evidence that contradicts that, which isn't difficult. Idiots like you who fail at the most basic of debating skills are better off posting on MAL.