How many episodes is too many...

How many episodes is too many? What is the ideal length of a series and when does it become time prohibitive for new viewers to begin an anime?

Bleach:
366 Episodes

Naruto:
695 Episodes

Detective Conan Case Closed:
822 Episodes

One Piece:
755 Episodes

>prohibitive for new viewers to begin an anime?
Thank you, im glad others actually understand this dilemma. The thing is that actually good animes only get one or two seasons, while shit animes typically get many seasons.

When I die my personal Hell is going to involve watching all these series in their entirety over and over for eternity.

One Piece has 13 feature length movies.

I always wondered why so little to be honest. DBZ had only 291 episodes and had 13 movies and there are also classic DB movies and new ones with Beerus and Freeza. So OP which is such a smashing hit has less movies than Dragon Ball despite having hundreds episodes more.

Anything past 26 episodes is too much. Pretty much all long running anime is packed full of shit that doesn't even matter.

This.

>spongebob
Did I accidentally walk into Sup Forums?

Compared to the rest of them DC usually has a self contained story per episode, while it does have an overarching story its fairly different compared to the rest, which is also probably why it as more episodes and is older.

How many episodes have all Gundam series together?

"Hey user how you enjoying that anime?"

"It's okay so far I guess.."

52 episode stuff was aight sometimes and then there's LoGH. There's also all those 5 minute anime with over 8k episodes where the oldest ones have been lost to the winds of time.

Don't know if it matters. A Gundam series lasts from 12 - 30 episodes and with the exception of Gundam Seed don't last more than a season usually.

Most Gundam universes or spin-offs are self contained and usually created by different production teams.

Unlike One Piece or Bleach where is is one long ongoing and unending series with the same characters and universe dragging on and on.

LotGH could be twice as long and still be a pleasure to watch, if done properly.

In other words, an anime needs as many episodes as it needs: if it's longer or shorter than it should, then it's no good. Now, Conan and OnePiece are so long because one's centered on the cases and the other's universe keeps expanding - ie: the lenghth doesn't try or have to match the plot or anything.

Cromartie and KMB could be much longer but you need material to fill chapters. Is this so complicated?

eh I'm watching OP now and enjoying it. I enjoyed it from the start too which definitely helps, even though I read the manga already and know what will happen. I've watched fairy tail up to current and that was kind of a chore. If the women weren't so goddam sexy it would be hard to find a reason to keep watching desu.

It's shounen, pretty much just mindless action. if the main characters are good then why not keep going.

several gundam series are ~50 episodes

>Watching One Piece
>Watching Naruto
>Watching 2/3 of Bleach (HA)

You could speed read any of these comfortably in a month. Watching it is like self-flagellation in comparison.

I did some math.

You can complete those long series in a week or 2 if you decide to marathon the thing non-stop.

If you devote yourself to watching a particularly long series for about 8 hours a day, it would take a month to catch up or complete.

Is that Sazae-san?

It's Sazae-San.

Also marathoning a single anime 8-hours a day. I can't even imagine that torment.

It's retarded to say "this many episodes is best" when it entirely relies on the show itself. This is art, not math.

I feel ye. It feels liberating when you finish a series, only to find out that there are hundred more to complete.

It really is it's own kind of hell.

CCS had 70 and that seems a bit much

I marathoned Fairy Tail for about 10 hours a day once for like a week and a half. It wasn't too bad

LoGH is a long series that makes good use of its length since there's a ton of lore and plenty of events.

Tatami Galaxy is a short series that makes good use of its brevity due to having many things repeat itself and subtle hints in earlier episodes that can be noticed on rewatching (which is more inviting since it's only 11 episodes).

God damn senpai

I wish I had that kind of attention

>Not watching the early episodes of the one piece anime
Shit taste

You just have to have been born into it. My mom was very sheltering and I had nothing else to do but watch tv

"You merely adopted the anime, user. I was born in it. Molded by it."

No, Space Brothers, Mushishi, Natsume's Book of Friends, Nodame Cantabile, Major, Chihayafuru, Honey and Clover, Polar Bear's Cafe arent shit

Dragon Ball's movies are only like an hour for most of them, with only the most recent two being around 2 hours. In contrast, One Piece has been having 90+ minute movies starting with movie 4. I also think it might have a lot more specials (like Episode of Nami, Sabo, Merry, etc.,), whereas Dragon Ball didn't have as many.

Just because you can't reasonably watch a series in a short amount of time doesn't mean it's doing too many episodes. These shows run long because the situations the comics provide are endless since everything is backed up with the promise of CUH-RAZY SHONEN ADVENTURES. Anything can in One Piece can be justified with the fact the characters are on a never ending adventure.

2 Episodes is the idea length

Episode 1 starts the series and gets you addicted

Episode 2 ends the series and makes you call the people who made the anime fucking hacks

Hokuto no Ken has 152 episodes and doesn't even cover the whole manga. Many episodes are also the dumbest filler stuff instead of actually going with the manga. I don't know how some people can watch all episodes and actually enjoy it. Seems like a real chore.

Fuck East Blue. Besides a few good moments being animated, you miss nothing reading it all.

Also, I'm not sitting through all of Alabasta just because the music is great at the end of the Crocodile fight. Shit just ain't worth it.

Best to just watch the episodes with certain key moments in the One Piece anime, like Hiluluk dying, which is so much better in the anime compared to the manga.

shitshows don't count.

Than One Piece is out.

Because it's shit.

No one cares about newfags
If you can't sit through 600+ episodes you shouldn't be watching it anyways

>What is the ideal length of a series

40 episodes sounds good.

Otherwise series strech on into some gigantic Henry Darger type created worlds.

I agree, most series that goes past 40 episodes tends to feel bloated due to filler content

>you miss nothing reading it all
The anime (at the time) was doing better the emotional moments than manga and it was worth for that alone

One Piece is shit

>How many episodes is too many?
150 episodes is too much.
>What is the ideal length of a series?
Anything from 12 to 52 episodes is perfect. Anything that has more than 52 episodes is long and tiresome.

I wouldn't go that high. 30 is a lot, 50 is way too much in my opinion.

Also are we judging this by season or by series?

50 episode seasons are retarded but two 25 episode seasons is easily digestible and less fatiguing.

>I think DC is too long therefore it should end
Another quality complaint from people who aren't reading/watching it.

>8 hours of anime is too much for one day
>image.jpg
iphones were a mistake.

Indeed, these are outside-looking-in opinions based purely on a number.

The best part is the same people who complain about length are the ones that wouldn't start watching it anyway, then come back later saying "it's even longer now!"

Conan's a great ride. Especially after the time skip.

>animes
Shoo, go away.

>watching wan piss at all

I'm surprised one piece fans don't complain about all the anime filler/padding.

It depends. A really plot-focused series would ideally not extend into several hundred episodes worth, but Urusei Yatsura being almost 200 episodes was to its benefit because it isn't plot-driven. The recap episodes sucked, but they didn't make up much of the series. Ranma is similar in that it benefits from being episodic and having a longer length.
TL;DR: Long running plot-driven works become a chore whereas long running episodic works are easier to just slowly work through every once in a while.

I am watching maison ikokku right now and i dont mind how long it is.

>shirokuma cafe

my nigga

The longer a show is, the harder it is to keep it good and interesting. There are fewer good long anime but they are more deserving of admiration because of that achievement.

LotGH is so special because of that. We may never see anything that competes directly with it because shit like that wouldn't fly today.

But it's subjective anyway.

Clearly for them to get that long (several HUNDREDS of episode, not just a single hundred) there had to be a driving force behind it.

Not like any single opinion matters or will have a direct impact on a series' performance.