Why does America drive on the wrong side of the road?

Why does America drive on the wrong side of the road?

Other urls found in this thread:

loc.gov/rr/scitech/mysteries/auto.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

I thought America invented the automobile and thus determined on which side of the road to drive on. Although to be fair - it is something I always pondered as well

The question is why doesnt japan drive on the wrong side of the road?

Library of Congress has Karl Benz as the first to produce a true automobile.

loc.gov/rr/scitech/mysteries/auto.html

But we drive on the right side

>invents cars
>invents what side they should be drove on
>kicked your ass in 1776 and 1812

gg fag

Because everything they do has to be different to the rest of the world because they just HAVE to be different for no apparent reason.
That's why they give stupid fucking names to things that already have a name around the planet.
>Pants = trousers.
>Zucchini = courgette.
>Cilantro = coriander.
>Chips = crisps.
>Biscuit = scone.
>Soccer = football.
>Football = American handegg.

>Cilantro = coriander.
Cilantro is just the Spanish word for coriander. It's not an American English given name.

the real question is, what happens when a country that drives on the left borders a country driving on the right? wouldnt they be ramming into each other?

We streamlined the assembly of the automobile but we didn't invent it, brainlet.

I can lean out my car window while driving to swing with my butter knife with my right hand. Wrong side of the road faggots will have to use their left hand and will get BTFO.

This. The mods are working overtime shoveling all this slide thread horeshit to /bant/

Didn't we start doing it to impede British troops way back when?

>America drive on the wrong side of the road
we drive on the right side of the rode

Lol fuck off you pathetic bong at least i can drive my 6.2 liter truck daily without fuel and insurance bankrupting me. Seriously how do you fucks not commit mass suicide?

>tfw bongs will never know the feeling of a big v8 hauling them around

The real question is:
Why british people thinks that every non-commonwealth nation is driving on the wrong side of the road while UK and Commonwealth nation drive on the wrong side of the road?

Doesn’t invent the car. Doesn’t get to decide what side it drives on. Relied on France to win 1776. Declares war, tries to annex Canada and fails in 1812.

Get off my board Leftists!
REEEEEEEEEE

Yea 6 litre and only 300 hp output aAhahahahahahahahahahahahahHAHHAAHHAHAHAHAHAHAH

because this way we can operate the stick with the dominant hand
wars

>this way we can operate the stick with the dominant hand
You want the dominant hand for the steering wheel. It's not hard to use your shit hand for the gearstick.

Try 460

Lmao @ your life in a 900cc cuckmobile

Side of road had to do with medieval times when shit was less safe. If you had someone approaching you as a knight, you wanted to be on the left side of the road because most people are right handed and then your weapon and ability to move your arm is closer to your opponent. Thus, such feudal societies tended to favor being on the left side.

Then in the 1700s, teamsters would haul giant wagons with a bunch of horses, and the driver would sit on the rearmost horse on the left side. Since the driver was on the left, he had better visibility of passing traffic if he were on the right and opposing traffic left.

After the French revolution traffic switched to right hand drive, and that's been the trend ever since. Britain is a holdout, among some other countries. Japan is one of the odd exceptions that isn't a british colony, but this was a longtime habit in Japan for hundreds of years, only codified in the 1800s when Japan designed their first railway with the British.

The US switched to right hand drive after the revolution as a fuck you to Britain and part of the quest to get rid of the British vestiges after the war.

tl;dr Brits are stubborn, and while most British colonies had too much infrastructure in place to want to switch sides once Britain granted them independence, that infrastructure didn't exist in the US and we switched as a "fuck you" to Britain. Most of the world has switched to right hand drive since.