What would it take for an Isekai anime to be good?

What would it take for an Isekai anime to be good?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=-vQqZZYmzaE
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Well definitely not be Re:Zero.

never exist

The MC not to be a shut in.

A neet gets transported into the world of his favorite anime.
Only 13 episodes
He never becomes the super competent hero.

Skeletons.

A NEET is reincarnated as an NPC. The series is actually slice-of-life, the main conflict being the MC trying to find some solace in his new life.

Instead of the common trope, the NEET's father is transported to an alternate world. Episodes alternate between the father trying to survive a fantasy world he has no knowledge about and the NEET being forced to get a job and become a regular person.

A boy falls in love with a girl in an alternate world, and kills himself in an effort to be with her. However, he finds himself reincarnated as the girl's daughter.

A NEET enters an alternate world, and quickly dies from the first slime he meets. The series then becomes a traditional fantasy series.

Pick one.

No NEET/otaku MC for start.

B-but who will I relate to the MC?

explosion.jpg

Re:Zero has already created the peak of Isekai. The genre will die off now due to inability to stand up to it.

>dumb tumblr gif

Another ReZero thread (again)?

All they fucking do is say "He's a shut in" at the beginning. It's not like the show shoves it in your face every five seconds.

explosive lolis

Not being an Isekai. Why can't have a MC that was born in the fantasy world?

>can't we
Fix'd.

S2 when?

>the protag is the son/daughter of a isekai MC
>They do their hardest to become famous on their own but everyone think is cheat parent did the job

Whenever Kadokawa feels like it's time for it.

Keitai plot.

Instead of MC gets transported to fantasy world, how about:
>fantasy world is transported to MC
And by that I mean literally transported to the MC. He could have some tiny weird creatures living on his body (or inside his head).

Mechs

It had to be like Re:Zero.

There are a bunch of fantastic Isekai anime. They're just old now.

Fucking easy.

Escaflowne.

El Hazard was also an awesome isekai. The six bugrom-pals of Jinnai were best bug-monsters.

>Instead of the common trope, the NEET's father is transported to an alternate world. Episodes alternate between the father trying to survive a fantasy world he has no knowledge about and the NEET being forced to get a job and become a regular person.

Fucking fund this.

What you said was implication and asked something subjective. A lot of isekai sold well except Mondai.

Aced, as usual.

Mondaiji was awesome, what was their problem?

-Cut out the harem
-Have a sense of adventure and not antics (unless it's an adventure with antics)
-Focus on your world, not just the protagonist reacting to it
-Seriously, cut the harem
-Have a healthy cast of characters
-No seriously, cut the goddamn harem. I know that it gets waifu bait but you can do that without a harem. This is the problem with like 90% of isekai is that they end up devolving into fucking harems.

Add genderbending.
>NEET MC gets bodyswapped with sex slave elf from fantasy world

Plumbus, and maybe grumbo

Wait what's this from. It looks recent.

Isekai no Seikishi Monogatari

US WW2 Battalions sucked up by spooky japanese boogaloo to the other world.

Robots

Have Sup Forums write it

I didn't get through the first 4 episodes of escaflowne. Something about the character designs put me off.

It's 90s as fuck, with the pointy noses and all. You also get the cat girl stuff, as well as a very androgynous villain.

It's in my top five favorites of all time for sure though. The story is great, music is amazing, and the animation quality is pretty good for a tv show.

Do you know what I've done with my life until now? Nothing!-Episode 18

A good writer. Seriously, if Japan would just follow proper story structure a lot of their shit could turn out well.

I hope soon.

Sunrise's style in general has never sat well with me desu. A lot of their characters have this unnaturally tall, lanky appearance and their eyes tend to be really large relative to their heads, even for an anime character. I still haven't gotten through Code Geass for this same reason.

Still, I'll probably give Escaflowne another shot.

>I still haven't gotten through Code Geass for this same reason.
man you missed a big part of Sup Forums history then

Isn't the first one just Konosuba?

Butcher's isekai when?

>when mc die in another world he's transported to different world
Imagine stories from worlds 1, 2, 5, 38 and 346.

>Episodes alternate between the father trying to survive a fantasy world he has no knowledge about and the NEET being forced to get a job and become a regular person

Even better Idea: The NEET and Father still have limited communication, and the NEET gives his Father advice on how to survive in the fantasy world while the Father gives the NEET tips to help him become a functioning member of society. Classic Father-Son bonding.

Have a feMC.

Better yet:

By the looks of it, it all would be much better if they just toned down the otaku pandering a bit.

Sounds like Konosuba. And I really liked Konosuba. It's the closest I've seen so far to what I want out of this premise.

I think isekai would be a lot more interesting if they focused on making the setting a real believable place. The interesting part of the premise is the fantasy world, not the stereotypical NEET transported into it. Most isekaishit feature worlds that don't seem to operate independently of the main character, and really they should. The protagonist should be a fish-out-of-water device that gives everyone the excuse of spouting exposition about shit every day people should already be familiar with. It should be a story about someone dealing with life in a fantasy world conspicuously absent in modern amenities and go from there.

So basically if transported to another world stories were actually about being transported to another world and not generic shitty web novel fantasy story with an extra dash of self-insert.

this tbqh

An MC that uses his knowledge of the modern world to jumpstart an industrial revolution and BTFO everyone standing in his way.

Just one fucking time, Japan. I cannot suspend my disbelief any further with isekai shit with MCs who could clearly use technological prowess to enrich themselves. But no, you just love your western fantasy shit with measly swords and """magic"""".

Reverse it. Someone from a fantasy world gets isekai'd into the modern world.

Some village child from Medieval era gets brought into the modern world and is forced to enter school. Hijinks ensure as he doesn't fit in and starts dealing with things the Medieval way.

>"Your head hurts? Let me get the drill..."

Im pretty sure this has been done before. I remember one anime that has the demon lord and hero get transported to the modern world, where they have to get jobs and stuff.

That sounds heart warming and touching. I like it.

>An MC that uses his knowledge of the modern world to jumpstart an industrial revolution and BTFO everyone standing in his way.
I'm sure that there's some isekai where such a thing does indeed happen.
One where such a thing is in the making is isekai tensei soudouki.
There's probably a ton more.

No joke, that's where that picture is from.

That would improve all animes ever tbqh.

Once again, Konosuba has some of that, after the part that was animated. Kazuma makes a fortune and buys Darkness. Also, outside of anime, the Mark Twain time travel story A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's court did that, but it didn't work out so well (also King Arthur wasn't a cute blond-haired girl).

Just imagine how you could use this concept for comedy, healing, drama, or even sadness.

Imagine an episode were either the father or the son have reason to believe that the other might have died or something and they fall into despair as it turns out that they in reality cared for each other way more than they would admit. You could really crank out the waterworks in the audience with that one.

It's a particularly bad plague in isekai though.

My main problem with Isekai is mostly that they don't bother to explain how it was actually physically possible for those people to get trapped in an MMO? With re:zero we still don't know what happened so it might turn out ok at the end.

The perfect Isekai anime would be an adaption of Tad William's Otherland . This is the only MMO story I know that actually was pretty realistic. Some rich russian is even trying to actually make it happen, to basically upload your soul into a computer.

1. MC is reasonably competent and outgoing from the onset and experiences character grown gradually as events unfold. If not outgoing, at least provide a believable reason for him to abruptly change his behavior.

2. MC does not receive a unique or overpowered blessing/ability/item/whatever as a door prize. Handouts, if any, should only bring him up to par with the average person in that world. Ideally, he starts with nothing and the first arc riffs on Robinson Caruso.

3. Setting is not a kitchen sink of generic fantasy tropes. At the very least use some of the less tired stereotypes, please.

4. Setting does not work on barefaced videogame mechanics. For fuck's sake, at least change the terminology. Better still, drop the explicit linear advancement entirely. You can still have loosely defined "classes" and "skills", just don't hand them out with a sound effect and a status box.

5. MC is not the Nerevar- I mean, the Chosen One. However, he may yet become the chosen one, with time and effort.

6. MC has some driving desire that this world (or just having a fresh start alone) enables, which motivates the plot. Please, no more:
>"You there, confused Civilian! You're here to kill the Demon Lord!"
>wait what! why?
>"Because!"
>well fuck, I guess I gotta kill the Demon Lord

OH MY GOD I WANNA SEEE THIS SHOW RIGHT NOW

Why is Emilia so shit? She ruined the whole episode!

>My main problem with Isekai is mostly that they don't bother to explain how it was actually physically possible for those people to get trapped in an MMO?
I am actually very much ok with this.
In most cases it wouldn't even have any bearing to the story at all, so it's just better to leave it alone than to try explaining it in some contrived way.
I mean, it's fantasy, not sci-fi.

Being made 20 years ago.

fellow re:zero fan I see

Of course it depends on the type of story, I guess I'm mostly bothered with all those MMO type of stories, where they imply that the characters where playing in front of their computers and got sucked in somehow. This type of story imho only works if you introduce some type of neural connection to the virtual world.

If it's just the old school type where people get sucked into a fantasy world trough a rollercoaster ride I'm completely fine with it:
youtube.com/watch?v=-vQqZZYmzaE

Haven't touched it, actually. It's two pages down on my backlog, I probably won't get to it this year.

Big fan of most of the RE spinoff quests on /tg/ though. Shame most of them died.

Make this guy the MC.

Grimgar is close to what you say. They are some scrubs in the middle of something way bigger than them trying to survive,

>introduce some type of neural connection to the virtual world.
I fucking hate this shit, people should know the implications such tech would have in society instead of applying it to motherfucking video games.
SAO had a million flaws, but this shit has to take the cake by a landslide, their damn society is absolutely no different from ours, even with that miraculous tech.

Grimgar was a bit slow but very enjoyable I hope there will be a second season.

You know what I find extremely silly about Konosuba and Re:Zero getting adapted into anime?

The fact that they both lampoon the "typical isekai story" but there hasn't actually been an anime adaption of a "typical isekai story" yet.

It's not just one Isekai story, it's multiple.

>Gets teleported to sci-fi world, does some stuff.
>get interrupted and gets teleported to fantasy world, does some stuff
>gets interrupted and teleported to classical/history world

One protagonist, trying to balance the duties and plots of being the "chosen one" across multiple story-lines and worlds, when he could be pulled into them at any point.

>"uuh, this political bullshit is boring, they gave me this magic sword... I wonder if it works on aliens? Why do never zap me away when I don't want to be here?!"

As per usual, the best part of the show are the shitstorms here, I don't even think thare's a point in watching it without Sup Forums.

A second season with actual budget would be great, especially considering that it would deal with the attack on the orcs where things get more interesting.

But S2 never.

>MC does not receive an overpowered ability
>MC is not the chosen one

By not making one

I'm honestly really surprised they got adaptations first because of that very fact.

I dunno, you can go too far in the other direction too. I mean, Overlord has some kind of fucking nanite goop that you inject into your spine to play VR games, but you have to wear the helmet anyway because that's the part that has the government-mandated recording equipment that prevents people from hacking your brain and pulling pic related. Shit's wack but it never comes up because he's not actually playing the game anymore.

Wake me up when the really silly isekaishit stories finally get adapted.

SAO is actually a "typical isekai shit" story, only difference is the MC comes back to reality every so often. But it's so inconsequential and meaningless to the story that it might as well be full-blown """isekai""".

Really, why do you think we've been seeing isekai after isekai anime these past 5 years? You can thank SAO.

Oh boy would I ever like to see that.
Yes I would, very much so.

shieldbro

>The fact that they both lampoon the "typical isekai story" but there hasn't actually been an anime adaption of a "typical isekai story" yet.
The elements that make up your "typical isekai story" can all be found in recent anime, there just hasn't been an adaption of a trashy enough novel that contains ALL of them yet. Anyone who has watched SAO + Log Horizon + Maoyuu will have experienced 99% of the cliche isekai tropes that Konosuba makes fun of.

Genderbend isekai story when?
Oh wait. Youjo Senki is already happening.

Right so when do we get the dungeon master subgroup of isekai stories then?

A futuristic US Army military base from our world is transported to a fantasy world with some mecha tanks and etc.

The CO of the base decides to use the futuristic technology that the base has to create a safe sovereign state in the fantasy world, and rise to fame as the Boss

Proper fantasy vs. modern technology.
Old war tactics vs new tactics.
Politics.
Suffering
Comfy sitting around in the barracks looking at magazines.

There's actually a genderbending Isekai? Now we're talking.

>A boy falls in love with a girl in an alternate world
I almost

Has anyone here read the 12 Kingdoms novels? I heard they're better than the anime.

A lot of these exist in novel format, and they're usually not very good.

Jumpstarting an industrial revolution is a lot harder than most people would think.

If only GATE was good though...