Genuine question: why is anime so popular in the US...

Genuine question: why is anime so popular in the US? It never managed to reach the popular consciousness in the same way in the UK.

>why is anime so popular in the US?

Because it's not. Go outside more.

>so popular in the US

it's not

Only DBZ is somewhat popular and only because of Mexicans

I go outside pretty often, but I live in the UK so my outside is rather different from yours.

Anime in the US is still not as popular as half the rest of the world. SEA are huge weebs, latin america is full of weebs, nordics are weebs.

I see. Well yeah, anime's not really popular outside of the internet here. I mean there are anime clubs and shit, but those are just for the nerds, tumblrinas, and special snowflakes. A true anime pro hides his powerlevel at all costs.

Because Europen comics, especially French-Belgian comics, are way superior to Japanese comics.

Its really not. Its kind of treated as the last loser hobby for social outcasts and I'm honestly OK with that.

It's free.

Now it's being associated with edgy fascists on Twitter.

But France loves manga and anime. They have a big comic book/animation culture and anime/manga is part of that. Histoircally, Japanese animation is inspired by France (hence Lupin).

French and Italians are the biggest weebs of all. You're right though, anime isn't really that popular in the US, outside of maybe entry-level shows.

This. Part of the stigma around anime in the US is that animation is seen as a childrens' medium, which is also the case in the rest of the Anglosphere. Animation is more acceptable as an adult hobby in continental Europe and Japan.

>only because of Mexicans

t. underage

Fucking this.

IE: Social outcasts and losers. Nothing has really changed that much.

They had Toonami and shit, we had Mary Whitehouse having the vapours over Urutsukidoji.

But we also had Toonami and CNX.

Does anyone here even watch anime anymore? I haven't watched an anime since Spice and Wolf. I just come here to talk about pictures.

I live in the UK and I like anime. All the other anime fans I've met seem to be really difficult to converse with, they use >inb4 and other Sup Forums lingo as an actual way of speaking to people offline, and they haven't seen anything besides attack on titan and death note yet claim to be weaboos.

Anime is popular amongst the people I know, but only the likes of One Piece, AoT etc. are popular. Even shows that are somewhat popular like Haruhi are too obscure for them.

God I hate my friends

Yes, I watch anime nearly everyday. This is the anime and manga board after all

There's a surprising amount of UK posters here, if that means anything.

>I mean there are anime clubs and shit, but those are just for the nerds, tumblrinas, and special snowflakes.
They exist in a lot of Western European universities too, but they're usually full of the worst kinds of anime fan. Anybody with an iota of common sense would avoid them at all costs.

>A true anime pro hides his powerlevel at all costs.
Why do so many people seem to find this so hard to do? They can't ALL be attention whores.

There are more people in the US than in the UK.

>Because Europen comics, especially French-Belgian comics, are way superior to Japanese comics.
Not enough cute girls. 0/10.

>Now it's being associated with edgy fascists on Twitter.
Is this an improvement on the former image of anime fans?

Do you have people like this in the US? They compose about half of the male population over here.

OI MATE AR U WATCHIN A CHINESE CAR OON BRUV

JUST BANTA INNIT

nuke the UK please

I do, but considerably less than at my peak, where even then it was about four shows a season max. I'm lucky to watch two new shows a year since I really can't relate to anything their about/I'm not already a fan/they're usually shit and the fact that fansubs seemed to have kicked the bucket doesn't help since everyone settles for HS/Funi.

But back to , no anime is not really all that popular, at least compared to 2005 levels, where ADV was pumping out series like no tomorrow. Its just returned to being a relatively niche hobby below comic books and video games, albeit with more exposure since the 90's, so the whole "wow! Something new and weird!" sentiment became, "Wow! I bet you spend all your time jacking off to anime boobies lol!". It doesn't help that Sup Forums is more or less the face of the anime fandom in the Anglosphere and even in these tamer days, we're still seen as outcasts.

On the flip side, the fanbase has finally gotten jobs/careers/learned moon, sometimes in the industry, so you can see TL's and Localizations that would have never happened even six years ago, especially with LN's.

>It never managed to reach the popular consciousness in the same way in the UK.
Easily offended parents are to blame for that.

It's also extremely popular here in Scandinavia where I live.

In the Middle East, anime is pretty huge among young urban population

"continental europe"

I.E. everything except britbongs and ireland

You can thank Sup Forums for that. The fucking bongs there turned Karen into their mascot basically.

There's enough people in the US that even if it doesn't gain widespread popularity, it's still going to have a fuckton of people who watch it

SHART

Anime is literally Japanese cartoons. Of course it's going to be popular depending on the series because cartoons are popular in the same way

go away

When you live online like I pretty much do it's really easy to think that everyone sort of lives in the same culture as you do but I went out last night and discovered that is not the case. I'm really curious about the others but I don't know much about them or what they do all day etc.

It's not.

Western anime fans are just vocal as fuck

Why is anime so popular with ISIS?

>Genuine question: why is anime so popular in the US?

Because of Toonami. If you aren't familiar with that, it's the programming block that aired Dragon Ball Z, Sailor Moon, Gundam, etc, but those were the defining ones. It was a huge phenomenon and created a generation of weebs. Anime was mostly unheard of it before it but now you can literally find shounen jump in grocery store magazine aisles and anime merchandise of some kind in almost any given store. Luffy, Goku, etc are as well known as Superman and Spiderman even by older people.

All animation is seen as just for kids in the uk.

Just slapping the American dub on a show and then broadcasting it next to Arthur and Mona the Vampire probably didn't help it's image here too much either.

why are fujobait shows so popular in the UK
today I saw at least 7 different girls come in to work wearing free! and haikyuu shirts