What is your opinion on the original Gundam TV show? Does the good outweigh the bad or vice-versa?

What is your opinion on the original Gundam TV show? Does the good outweigh the bad or vice-versa?

I'm going to watch it either way and the art and animation doesn't bother me in the slightest as I've watched and enjoyed the visuals of 70s stuff far cheaper looking (plus a lot of the 'off model robot frames' people post seem like just a result of 70s anime robots, for better or worse, being animated similarly to humans as opposed to being done by specific 'mecha animators') but I'm curious what everyone else thinks

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=sV3y4rp_6gU
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

It's okay.

Why don't you watch it first, not weighed down by the gravity or others?
Then discuss it when you are done.

Oh and the character designs look really good and varied in both face and body types but everyone who knows the character designer by name cums over him and says he's one of the best artists in the industry so I kinda doubt people will disagree with that

I've already read a bunch of "Tomino is cancer this show is a bunch of cowabunga shit I'd rather drink aids blood from a buffalo's anus" threads I'm just curious how people will react to a more neutral OP

It's okay I guess. I really enjoyed watching it. Probably the best thing in Gundam since I found just about everything else after it to be mediocre.

>0080
>Mediocre

Not the best one but there is worse too.

The worst thing I can think about it is probably the fact that they shoved in some nonsensical designs for new toys when the ratings weren't good like the G-armor.
The Icelina episode was silly.
Most of the character stuff is very good.

Mindblowingly fresh.

It honestly seems like the most appealing to my taste since asied from G Gundam since it was made when "real robots" weren't an established thing and it still maintains cartoony super robot elements from all the clips and caps I've seen

I heard Tomino retconned some of the silliest robots because they were not realistic and serious enough or whatever but I enjoy that type of shit

>off model robot frames
What do you mean with that?

fuck off attention whore.

I made this post without reading your post

The dumb robots look fun to me funnily enough

I thought 0080 and Turn A were okay. I like 00, Greco, X, Z & ZZ but I wouldn't call them good.

They're pretty dumb.

>but I wouldn't call them good
There's no such thing as "objectively good". There's such thing as objective flaws, but whether those flaws are show-ruining or not will always be subjective. If you had genuine fun with them then they're good, to you, personally.

If your fun was 100% ironic then I guess your wording is fine.

I never understood that, how does one have fun ironically? I had fun. I just wouldn't argue that they had strong or compelling narratives. Which is how I equate something that's narrative driven in being good.

I thought it was a pretty good show. The original Gundam is pretty much well received all-around from Gundam and non-Gundam fans. Any other Gundam show (except 0080, probably) is rather divided with plenty of vocal hate and praise, though I only noticed this on Sup Forums and /m/. Don't mind about the "Tomino is a hack" thing. Most of the shitposting about him came from G-Reco which is the Gundam with the most divided fanbase. I thought it was meh, but I've seen far worse.

Ironic enjoyment = enjoying something because you're laughing at how bad it is vs. actually enjoying it for genuine intended qualities.

I disagree anyway; I think that even if the narrative in a narrative-driven work isn't very strong, the execution can make it good. I couldn't call Gunbuster bad for example even if I think there's more bad than good in the script.

It's not a G-Reco thing. First there's Garzey's Wing, then there's Brain Powerd which developed a hatebase because deranged Eva fags took something Tomino said out-of-context as "Brain Powerd is better than Eva". In-context, he basically said he thinks Eva is bad but that he also thinks Brain Powerd itself is bad.

I still want to watch Brain Powerd eventually even though the creator says it's bad; I've found myself liking "disowned" works in the past (for example Tezuka). The Nagano mechs look neat.

For me, personally it's more of a spectrum than straight Good | Bad. Which makes feelings hard to place. It's just hard for me to say "Yeah that was great." when I may find half the cast to be underutilized, themes and ideas to be poorly explored and executed or the show just generally a mess of ultra contrived circumstances strong together by general drama/storywriting cliche's.

I've seen everything Gundam related in recent memory aside from Wing, Igloo, 00 Movie and AGE which I'm watching now.

I watch Gundam cause I like Mobile Suits and while I can derrive some enjoyment from just about every series I've watched for one particular aspect or another. I do agree that execution can make something good.

I can only stand to watch 0083.

and maybe Wing's intro before I change to a different show.

>I watch Gundam cause I like Mobile Suits and while I can derrive some enjoyment from just about every series I've watched for one particular aspect or another.
I'm on a roll today for unfinished points it seems.

I meant to say while I can enjoy it for one aspect or another when it comes to finally sitting back and absorbing what's going on in the show I may not be able to come to terms with calling it a good show.

Okay yeah, I see that and I actually feel the same way sometimes. There's more than "good" and "bad" and I was just being shallow.

Shit like that is no different from human characters often being drawn in a wonky way by inbetweeners or in a throwaway cheap episode etc. From what I've observed it seems like in the 70s there simply wasn't a "mechanical animator" sub-set of "key animator" so no one focused on learning to draw mechanical things as well as possible above all else and thus the robots were given to regular animators. Some of the frames are legit shitty, others are just from the middle of a motion and only look "bad" by modern standards because people are used to Gundams looking believably mechanical. A lot of the gifs I've seen aren't really bad, they're just animating Gundam the same way they would animate a super robot mech i.e. more human-like and rubbery.

What I'm saying is I highly doubt the people who are super weirded out by 0079's mechs ever watched Tomino's super robot shows like Daitarn and Zambot 3

If they watched Zambot 3 in particular they should know 0079 is not badly animated for its time at all (Zambot's Kanada episodes were cool as were a few other scenes but I mean GENERALLY it looked rushed and cheap as hell)

Watched like the first ten episodes. It was okay, but I don't really feel compelled enough to finish it. I like the robot action, but I'm not that interested in war dramas.

Now that you said that I think I'll watch it.

Robot shit gets boring without the people's stories behind them.

I'm liking this so far

Holy crap, this gif is beyond gay.

Watching it now, about episode 20. At first I was really bored. But now I guess I'm in 'it's so bad it's good' territory. The animation is really shit, the colors are tacky and badly coordinated. The designs are tacky too, the only good designs are Zeon and federation uniforms. But not the stupid hats and helmets. Amuro's retarded expressions are starting to wear me out. Although the way his VA shouts cracks me up. People shit on Shinji, but perhaps only because they're newfags and don't know 'bout Amuro. Looks like it was him who started the fashion for underage emo protagonists.
The names are really stupid. Cucuruz? Bright? Clamp? Hamon? A lady named after a kind of meat? Really?
I don't even care that much for mecha. I've only started watching it because I'm generally interested in older anime. And because I wanted to see what's the fuss about this meme character named Char. So far he is some kinda disappointing edgemaster, he killed some violet-haired fag and disappeared. I wish the violet-haired fag stayed alive, he was kinda funny at least. Instead of him Zeon side got a troop of characters who have little screentime and die too fast. I don't like it. I like when both sides in a conflict have well-developed 3-dimensional characters with appealing qualities. So far the only character I like is Bright, he's trying to stay sane and actually do something, while just about everyone else is being pants on head retarded, edgy or emo.
Sorry for tl;dr. I'm really debating if I should drop it.

The narrative structure was way ahead of it's time, but it's kind of played out at this point.

Why would you start watching Gundam if you don't like mecha? It's like reading Getter Robo for the intricate plotline.
If you've already watched 20 episodes why bother dropping it though. You're basically halfway through.

This review of 0079 is a masterpiece
youtube.com/watch?v=sV3y4rp_6gU

The show is okay, it's watchable. But the movies have better visuals and better mechs, the amount of bullshit like G-Fighter is decreased.

Char is not an edgemaster. And he comes back after a moment.

The first few criticisms are one thing but the human designs are great. Unless you mean the robots (which I have no significant opinion on one way or the other) I can't help but wonder what 70s anime you do like if you think the character designs are bad.

Having this much facial and body variety in a traditionally "anime-esque" show that's not super-cartoony is an impressive feat as far as I'm concerned.
Getter isn't 'intricate' but it does have interesting themes and the story does play a big part in why it's good.

>barely any views
>utterly generic review
>screenshot slideshow
>"a World Masterpiece Theater show and a show by a successful director based on a successful manga look better than this much more low budget show, which means 0079 is badly animated for its time"

Are you sure you're not just advertising your shit?

Didn't get more than about 3 minutes through that review. What anime did he compare it to?

Actually I should reword that

A show directed by a guy who's often recognized as the best or at least most important anime director of all time

the kids look fucking horrible though
and hayato

Rose of Versailles and Anne of Green Gables.

I'm honestly not sure if Versailles is well animated or not as I've not finished it; from my experience most Dezaki TV shows aside from the occasional exception like Cobra focus on other things than sheer animation quality, and I've not seen any "ebin sakuga" scenes from it either (and even Joe had them which was REALLY cheap).

Anne of Green Gables is a fucking ANOMALY for the time; even Future Boy Conan dips into blatant budget-saving quicker and far more blatantly than Anne. To say "this show looked better so 0079 looks like shit" is like saying "this 2010s show is not as well animated as Space Dandy so it's shit".

It's really funny that the designs you dislike are the ones that remind you the most that you're watching a cartoon.

The kids are fine as is Hayato.

>Rose of Versailles and Anne of Green Gables.
Jesus fucking Christ. This is why I dislike anime YouTubers.

The problem I ran into was not actually the designs or animation, but the sound. I couldn't find any subs that didn't sound like an old cassette that had been replayed to hell. I ended up watching the dub, and the fact that they largely remixed the sounds, or used a better master, or whatever, actually made it a pretty good experience. The voices were reasonably solid as well, Gundam dubs are seldom offensively bad.

>the movies have better anything

what.

This. Every time these kids are on screen they creep me out, their style is so out of place, and heads like 2x the size of adult human, wtf.

I meant vehicle, location designs. I specifically said uniform designs are ok. And I agree that humans are surprisingly varied. Ii don't even remember another show which had a fat black guy.

As for 70s anime I like RoV and Oniisama E and they both didn't look as dated to me as 0079 does.

Shit, I knew I would do better to watch the movies.

>As for 70s anime I like RoV and Oniisama E
>Oniisama E
>70s
Hahahaa fuck. Confirmed for having no knowledge of 70s anime.

Most 70s anime/manga kids looked like that so congrats on proving my theory that people who freak out about how "horrible" 0079 looks have no experience with 70s anime.

Rose of Versailles and Oniisama e look better than most TV anime within a 20 year period of them airing, they are outliers.

Tomino's writing style is bizarre to say the least plus the animation is incredibly lazy but if you like science fiction you'll find that 0079 is incredibly competent as a story despite having a shoestring budget even by 70's standards.

The competency of all of the following series thereafter in the franchise varies wildly but Early UC Gundam is still a fun ride regardless

Gundam will never reach the heights that it did in 0079 and Zeta.

I'm generally not a fan of watching series summary movies unless I've already seen the series. What do you feel makes the movies worse though?

I started watching the dub and thought it atrocious, then about 16 episodes in the subs stopped working on my TV and I switched to the dub again and genuinely liked it bettter. It's like someone came into the studio and whipped the actors into shape. Though they would do better to whip the translators into shape beforehand. They can't shorten phrases for shit, leave too many unnecessary long words, no wonder poor actors struggle with just pronouncing it fast enough, let alone pronouncing it expressively.

Oniisama e is from the 90's.

It's better than Wing

Almost everything would be better than wing.

>lazy
>despite having a shoestring budget even by 70's standards.
I went through like 15 random episodes on Youtube and fucked around with the seek bar. The show looks clearly above-average by 70s anime standards.

I honestly think anyone who says this has watched barely any 70s anime. Gundam is fucking gold as far as consistency of quality goes compare to Zambot 3.

Also for the record Zambot 3 is considered a classic and at least shines when Kanada takes over (though still looks very cheap). Now think of all the genuienly shitty 70s shows that people forgot and realize how silly it is to say 0079 looks "bad by 70s standards".

Kai Shidan is my favorite character in any Gundam series. Also, the Guncannon is boss.

Same.

"0079 is horribly animated for its time" = "I have only seen the cream of the crop 70s anime"

I love when people post that one gif where they recycle and flip and animation horizontally as an example of "horrible animation" even though the actual animation is pretty great for a 70s TV anime.

Fist of the North Star did that too, in a scene animated by Toshiaki Hontani AKA "the guy that even his peers thought was insane and working too hard when he did animation for Akira".

It is pretty amazing how all the protagonists managed to survive the end of 0079.

Kai was the best part of Zeta and he was only in two or three episodes

*recycle and flip THE animation

He became one stylish motherfucker in the years between wars.

It's great. There's some wonky animation, but it gets by on some solid art direction. The movie trilogy refines things somewhat (the third movie in particular is an improvement over its televised source material and is worth watching either way).

I wouldn't call it perfect, but it's a definite classic.

Also
>being shocked by "cartoony kid, less-cartoony adult" when the two main characters of one of the most popular and iconic 70s properties are just that

Fuck, I like this Amuro too.

Fuck off trying to quiz me, faglord.

the comedy animation on the dude in the blue zaku is awesome

I'm actually curious faggot. I plan to watch them after finishing the show.

>I plan to watch them after finishing the show.

Why do you give a shit what I think then? Fuck off and watch them.

>blue zaku

I love the comedy with the Zeon pilot, but it is clear that Amuro is out for blood.

I have no experience with Gundam outside G, this is my first time watching a real Gundam.

Inb4 "newfag" I've downloaded anime online for over a decade, I just glanced over the 'real robot' genre in general.

Oh, I thought you were telling an old joke/meme.

It's really interesting to experience something so iconic for the first time and have "ah, so THAT'S where that reference came from" moments

>40 fucking years of Gundam and Amuro is still the most inventive in fights
why are Tomino storyboards so much better than everything else?

I really like SEED Destiny, SEED, 00 Season 2 and AGE.

explain this

Gundam 79 is a good story told in the worst way possible

You should instead read Gundam the Origin, and watch Zeta afterwards

Yeah, it can be really strange when you see such an influential series when you's known so many references to it.

I found the original parts of Origin to be pretty bullshit and unnecessary but otherwise it's a good retelling.

I've seen enough to know that "the worst way possible" is bullshit

I'll read the manga after I finish the show

He is very witty
A motherfucker who can survive through everything

And by this I mean a bunch of the scenes I've seen in the first 2 episodes and webms or gifs like (along with my aforementioned skimming of various episodes) look like something that would only work properly in animation even if it's low budget animation.

I know Yasuhiko is a great manga artist and likely makes it work great in another medium but it's just a different type of experience; I want to go through both.

Not to mention I quite enjoy the music.

>a different type of experience; I want to go through both.
I think this is a pretty damn good attitude to have. Origin is definitely worth reading, but 0079 is also definitely worth it as well.

>I wish i were you

Everytime

And to add to it, color is another thing that can add to the emotion of the scene which manga also lacks.

You do you, but the anime loses steam pretty quick. There's a wonderful story hidden behind an extremely repetitive episodic routine.

"Extremely repetitive episodic routine" describes some of my favorite stuff though.

actually certain moments in The Origin are in color. It's usually the moments that really need it too.

>Amuro is still the most inventive in fights
That's not Uso.

Fucking this. I have yet to see any pilot top Uso in terms of creativity.

IIRC, the first episode had some amazing animation, especially a rain of shells from a Zaku's weapon that have real weight to them has always stuck with me.

Since when do beam sabers work like that?

I know this is bait, which is why I'm gonna ask what the fuck is wrong with SEED's first season and 00 Season 2?

Age and SEED Destiny are horseshit, but cmon.

Since they decided it worked like that.