Can someone tell me why the Steins Gate movie is so disliked...

Can someone tell me why the Steins Gate movie is so disliked? I just rewatched for today and I felt like it was a lot better than I remembered it being.

Because the writers decided to break the series' rules of time travel, and the story suffers immensely because of it. If they actually cared about the series and spent more than 5 minutes brainstorming, it could have been good, but instead we got something that breaks canon just to provide some fanservice.

What rules did it break?

multiple worldlines existing at once, changes happening to the timeline without changes in divergence, and a few other things I can't remember off the top of my head

A theoretical physicist might say that actually having multiple worldlines at once is the proper way of doing it. If the "worldline" thing is true and we live in a 6 dimensional universe, all worldlines exist simultaneously.

That doesn't matter because that's not how it's presented in the VN or anime, and it takes away from the original story by thinking like that.

I'm saying it should have been.

No it shouldn't have, that would ruin the story and make the time travel in the series generic and uninteresting.

>Generic
Most time travel stories don't even use multiple timelines, they just lazily use one and handwaive the Grandfather Paradox and violations of causality.

Also it doesn't decrease the drama, screwing up one timeline doesn't "go away" when you go to another one. The ones you leave behind, including your original one, are still screwed and will be forever. When you finally find one that is back to "normal", it's not the same one as you started at. You will have to live with the knowledge you're not in your original timeline and all your 'real' friends are still fucked.

They should make a better message if going across parallel universe that living you live having known your choices and things you let happen go on, you should keep moving forward. Value your life and make the most of it, treat it as if it were the last. Never use the fact of multiverse or results to get what you want.

I don't get VN adaptations, how can you realistically expect to condense what is generally 30+ hours of story into a season of an anime or a movie? Even as a supplementary thing it doesn't feel worth it.

VNs are written like bad fanfictions mostly with unnecessary info dumps, author's thoughts on the matter that has nothing to do with the plot or characterizations and so on. You can easily cut that shit out and turn into script.

Multiple worldlines don't really exist at once in the movie, the 'R' worldline isn't really an ordinary worldline, they're just reusing the same term. I don't see what it actually actually contradicts since it's brand new concept.

Case in point: Steins;Gate

Even if you cut out internal dialouge and alternate routes you're still going to lose something unless you have multiple seasons which never happens with these adaptations.

Planetarian is an exception since the VN is both kinetic and fairly short.

It's stated in the movie that it is a world line similar to the SG world line. That also doesn't explain how Okabe leaps there while everyone else still remain on the SG world line.

Why do rules even matter when "Steins:Gate" just overrides everything?

first post best post

Because Steins Gate is bad and it took a movie for people to finally realize.

It's complete shit story wise.
Only good for Kurisu fanservice. The writing was pants on head retarded. The premise doesn't make any sense, especially the ending. The ending was one of the stupidest things I've seen in a while. Nothing about it made sense. Kurisu going back to be a pedo doesn't make any fucking sense. Established rules of time travel were broken. The side characters somehow had even less of a role than they did in Steins;Gate. If your name isn't Kurisu you basically weren't part of the movie. Why even bother. An hour's worth of slice of life shenanigans would have been a thousand times better than what they came up with. At least get Chiyomaru to write the damn thing.

>get Chiyomaru to write the damn thing
Why should he? He's a producer, not a writer.

This 9000 times + the fact the whole movie was unneeded. I liked the OkaKuri parts though, they are OTP territory, but it doesn't save this pile of crap movie.

Because Kurisu went through like 3 cycles of "It's haaaaaaaaaard and I give up" to "I still wanna fix this because someone told me to man the fuck up".

Don't get me wrong, I don't think the movie is bad. It's just not as good as the series.