Am I the only person who would have rather fought and died in a 18/19th century conflict than to live in the modern...

Am I the only person who would have rather fought and died in a 18/19th century conflict than to live in the modern world? There isn't any heroism or honor anymore. There's nothing to die for today, everything is pozzed.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Hallue
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

I'm so bored all the time. Anime is the only thing that makes me feel emotion anymore.

>you will never die a hero in a battle fighting for country

18th century armies were recruited from the dregs of society and often from people who didn't even share the nationality of the people who commanded them. Glory was only to be won by the aristocratic officers, not by the common men. During the 19th century, nationalism came up and the perception of the military changed, but what you describe is much more characteristic of WW1 and WW2 than earlier.

People talk about how bad it was that so many people died in wars but just as many men would die today from health issues, suicide, drug overdoses and car crashes etc. Would you rather die because the modern world is so devoid of meaning that you have no option but to kill yourself or die fighting for a country and community that you believe in with every fivre of your being. Id choose the second.

We need another world war

>18th century armies were recruited from the dregs of society and often from people who didn't even share the nationality of the people who commanded them

Maybe in the middle ages, but being a soldier in the 18th and 19th century was still a profession. What's wrong with dregs fighting and dying for their countries?

>s much more characteristic of WW1 and WW2 than earlier.

Literally the dumbest wars in history

>i am a retard idealizing a past i know nothing about
Being more likely to die in camp of disease than on the battlefield, that's the way to live. Fuck being prosperous and living comfortably, it's all a bunch of bullshit.

>you will never be a colonial redcoat shooting niggers in zululand so your empire can expand

>Fuck being prosperous and living comfortably,

yeah dude real good life we got nowadays i'll tell you what. Nothing is sacred. Life's only purpose is acquiring currency to spend on shit you don't need for yourself because you don't have a family. Can't wait for google to come out with pleasure/ track chips I can insert directly in my brain to stimulate me when I start feeling nostalgia and longing for a meaning greater than that of a consumer.

>being a soldier in the 18th and 19th century was still a profession.
The point is that it was not regarded an honest profession but something which scoundrels did. The kind of people who needed to make a quick buck, the kinds of people who were wanted as criminals in their native lands, etc.

>What's wrong with dregs fighting and dying for their countries?
It was not a matter of dying for your country. A soldier back in those days did not fight for his country but he fought for the money. And the allegiance of soldiers was fickle. They would often desert one army only to get hired by the guys they were fighting before. The idea that your own interest was somehow tied to your country's interest only really emerged during the 19th century.

>Literally the dumbest wars in history
And yet they managed to motivate people to die for their countries in never seen before quantities.

if you think there's nothing to die for that reflects your own values (or lack thereof), not the rest of the world
plenty of professions are honored to the point of heroism, you're just too narcissistic to realize it.

like what?

Implying the light brigade charge was not stupidity=themovie

Born to early to fire lasers, born too late to rattle sabers.

shhh, they still captured the french eagle standard

I'd rather fight on the Eastern Front of WWII but I also wouldn't mind being sent out in an outrageous and pointless bayonet charge (e.g. Franco-Prussian war style)

My life is actually good compared to most other people in the modern world but there is no glory.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Hallue

You can live a life worth being remembered. You can help those around you. You can inspire those around you.

>You can help those around you
to what end?
>You can inspire those around you.
inspire them with what? No one believes in anything anymore other than muh equality and muh free market.

Helping your fellow humans is an hornable way of living. You may not think so and that's why I said you can, not you must. And what's inhonorable about equality? I personally don't believe in a laissez-faire free market economy I prefer corporatism.

>And what's inhonorable about equality

I've seen this edit a million times but have still not seen an actual argument against equality.

there has never been honor in war.

There has been necessity in war

Yes gentlemen, let's help Ottoman sultan to fend off dirty ruskies from Constantinople, so that our grandchildren can live to see caliphate and Paki grooming gangs in London. Honor and heroism, have you read about the Boer wars? Shit, you probably still believe that even American Civil war was all about muh slavery.

there has never been any necessity other than to kick invaders out of your land

anything else is organized murder

Pretending that everybody is equal is detrimental to those that are genuinely superior.

It removes any incentive to succeed because success is no longer valued and is in fact frowned upon.

If those that are Superior can be brought down by the opinions of the lesser, are they truly superior?

Exactly, so not all war is inhonorable.

Equality of Outcome is not only an insane goal, it's also impossible. There will always be those that put in more effort and achieve more as a result; and any attempt to level outcomes is an attempt to tear them down. Innovation and advancement comes from great men; and there's a reason the Soviet Union failed to achieve anything of worth. Equality is only reasonable in the eyes of the law.

>If those that are Superior can be brought down by the opinions of the lesser, are they truly superior?
what is society?

>opinions of the lesser

But these aren't just opinions, there are attempts to make equity drivel the law.

I agree equality of outcome is ridiculous but all humans are equal in that they have basic human rights and civil liberties

Attempting to make social inequalities fixed by the state is cultural Marxism, any freedom loving person is against that. But all humans are equal in that they have civil liberties and human rights.

even the greatest of men cannot hold against a Mob forever.

That's true too :/

not sure how i feel on the matter, talking my grandfathers who both served in ww2 gives me very different ideas of what war is
>maternal grandfather says war is the worst of all things and that we should do anything to avoid it happening again, seems to have ptsd.
>paternal grandfather says war is the best fun a man can have and he wishes those fucking americans didnt have to end the war with the japs so soon.
not sure who is right desu.

>all humans are equal in that they have basic human rights and civil liberties
one can still treat others with dignity and respect without believing in equality.

Empathy for lesser forms of life is noble.

which one saw the most death and destruction? which one saw the most combat?

Well respect is more of a luxury, humans have a right to speak, to defend themselves, to pursue life liberty and happiness, but no human is guaranteed respect.

I still don't think respect is a human right. There are plenty of communists walking this earth, walking in my country, who don't believe in human rights. They are being disrespectful but it's not my human right to be respected. If they violate my human rights to speech or bear arms, then they violating human rights. But simply not believing in human right's is not a violation of them.

Okay, what's your point? I never said that all humans respect one another, only that one can still treat others with dignity and respect without believing in equality.

As long as there is a significant human population on Earth, there will always be cunts that have no concept of respect. Usually these people have glaring defects that they project onto others.

Everyone cannot, and should not, be equal
the math whiz needs the great chef who needs the labourer...
It is in fact a lie people believe either to mask their own short comings, or to take advantage of people.

"all animals are equal (some are more equal then others)" is always how these equality cults end up

No you aren't
But in a way I'm glad I was born Aintjis age. People like you and I are given the op puente to change I sir the better

Am druck plaz 4dgivs

Anyway, I have to go now but it was nice debating ideas with you. Have a good one mate.

First responders. Medics/RedCross. Disaster volunteering. Fighting jihadis is still respected by most people.
Short of that, being a decent person and supporting yourself as a working/taxpaying member of society is fine by most people.

Most non-super-leftie folks, when arguing for equality, mean equality of opportunity and treatment, not of outcome.
Attempting to create a society where all are equal under the law, and have an equal shot at success, in my book is a useful endeavor.