Architecture Thread

Because nothing major is happening right now.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daniel_Libeskind
thestar.com/opinion/columnists/2008/03/11/nature_makes_fools_of_architects.html
kunstler.com/featured-eyesore-of-the-month/
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spire_of_Dublin
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

ridiculous, but unfortunately all too understandable - why expect government bureaucrats or committees to champion any aesthetic values?
ah yes - my town. it's a rare feeling of discomfort walking beneath that gigantic spike - particularly during the winter when considerable chunks of ice periodically rain down upon the pedestrian areas below....
the good news is they had to build it in such a way that it could be dismantled without any damage to the overall structure or facade of the original building

>particularly during the winter when considerable chunks of ice periodically rain down upon the pedestrian areas below
I thought buildings have safety regulations...

We did this, didn't we?

no, it was the commies

Sigh.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daniel_Libeskind

they do. their solution?
post signs around the area warning of the hazard.
I mean, just LOOK at this...
here's a relevant article about it:
thestar.com/opinion/columnists/2008/03/11/nature_makes_fools_of_architects.html
>Thus the contemporary architect is freed from conventional constraints to deal with more artistic issues. In ((Libeskind))'s case, that means creating an aesthetic appropriate to an age characterized by anxiety, pain and provocation. The Crystal evokes all this brilliantly.

>We did this, didn't we
yes and no.
The building with the dome could've been saved, but the commies demolished it was the former military headquarters.
Supposedly, the commies wanted to reconstruct the bridge to its pre-WWII state, but the Swiss refused to sell the crucial elements, needed for the reconstruction.
So the commies decided to do build a new bridge instead, using the blueprints of a bridge from Frankfurt, I think.

topkek.
Gotta love when architecture backfires
>Let's not forget Madame Savoye, whose family commissioned the father of modern architecture, Le Corbusier, to design a residence. The Villa Savoye became one of the most celebrated buildings of the 20th century. But Madame Savoye was so upset by the leaky roof, she threatened to sue.
I always knew that faggot was a fraud

Are these actually happening or are you just getting my hopes up?

oh that's just brilliant:
>he's got a real knack for design
>yeah, too bad he forgot about a little thing called the Sun
>maybe he just assumed London was perpetually overcast, and thought he could get away with it...
in most cases this would be an amateur mistake, but in his case, it was hubris. nearly all the newest architectural designs - when not marked by "green" elements - are created to demonstrate how obtrusively the architect can impose his vision on the public, as well as to maximize obsolescence, like making them with curved frames and glasswork that needs specialized molds and components in order to create them

I've gotten a lot of laughs at the expense of horrid design from James Howard Kunstler's "Eyesore of the Month" page:
kunstler.com/featured-eyesore-of-the-month/

thats great. proof that we can still build nice classical design

natsoc architecture

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spire_of_Dublin
This pisses me off to no end, the story is
>used to be a site for a tall Pillar statue to an influential british figure
>IRA blows it up for Irish independence in 1966
>Irish Army removes the rubble and remains
>contemporary government decides what to put in its place
>not a statue of an Irish Hero
>Not a traditional Irish symbol
>not even just a fucking flag