So Escaflowne is getting a new English dub for the Blu-Ray release. Escaflowne thread to celebrate

So Escaflowne is getting a new English dub for the Blu-Ray release. Escaflowne thread to celebrate

youtube.com/watch?v=-PPVISGfl4M

Other urls found in this thread:

animenewsnetwork.com/news/2016-02-27/exclusive-funimation-launches-kickstarter-to-dub-escaflowne-tv-anime-director-cut/.99141
youtube.com/watch?v=rua5DnhBh3Q
youtube.com/watch?v=3ig4M4hFUrY
youtube.com/watch?v=eNbcKZwXjpY
youtube.com/watch?v=rgdNSXx5w5I
youtube.com/watch?v=2Mmk5-BArIw
youtube.com/watch?v=Fv50DzU2l4s
youtube.com/watch?v=kmmydWaL-H8
youtube.com/watch?v=TP_gg1Kg5EE
youtube.com/watch?v=W_FeLLZ7eIU
kickstarter.com/projects/funimationprod/the-vision-of-escaflowne-a-new-hd-dub-for-the-clas/posts/1660096
youtube.com/watch?v=sJR86Zufxpw
youtube.com/watch?v=PRPIOglFPis
youtube.com/watch?v=zhr-f5LTJPM
twitter.com/AnonBabble

>English dub

>dub
Fuck off.

Why change the dub, it was decent?

The dub isn't important. It's that we're getting subs on a BD release, so I can buy it.
Because there are some DC episodes that the original dub didn't do.

Not going to lie, that trailer is actually well done, and brought back memories. But alas, I already have the series on my hard drive, and going by what they did with Bebop, I can see them trying to do noise reduction causing the picture quality to tank. Also, why would I bother to listen to anyone other than Maaya Sakamoto voice Hitomi. I guess it's time to do my yearly rewatch of Escaflowne.

But I have a recent release of a DVD set of the series from 2010 i think with all episodes dual audio though. Nothing cut all there. You must be thinking of the Fox Kids airing that cut the show up.

>MUH superior weeb language
Believe it or not but the nips can also have shitty dubs and aren't perfect. I've found myself preferring English dubs over Japanese dubs because of their level of quality on multiple occasions. This dub seems rather fantastic and you're willing to brush it off because of your preconceived notions of English voice actors.

(You) really running low on bait

I don't know what release you have, but it can't be based off the remastered DVD or BD.

>In the retail Japanese video release, some of the deleted scenes were restored to the first seven episodes
Then there's this:
animenewsnetwork.com/news/2016-02-27/exclusive-funimation-launches-kickstarter-to-dub-escaflowne-tv-anime-director-cut/.99141

Part of the reason for the redub is because there are scenes that were never dubbed.

>Getting triggered this hard by a dub

I would understand some if it was moeshit, but it isn't.

This is a 720p YouTube upload, though. The original trailer on FUNimation's channel looks better.

i love the original english dub why redub it

Oh fuck, that trailer hyped the shit out of me!

Dubs are perfectly acceptable. There are even instances where the dub surpasses the original. I look forward to rewatching this series in English.

It does, and it looks better than their Bebop release, but I'm still hesitant. When was the last time a Funi BD release looked nearly as decent as a G_P or EG release? And since I can easily watch anime on my 40 inch tv, I'm not seeing any reason to buy this. I'll probably do it just to support Escaflowne, but I doubt I'll ever watch those BDs. I sure as hell don't watch their Bebop Blu-ray collection.

That's true, the only real benefit in buying FUNimation's Bebop is the dub (which is a huge reason for me).

At that point, if you want to support the show you're better off importing like I did with my copy of Escaflowne as long as you're alright with no subs.

link?

youtube.com/watch?v=rua5DnhBh3Q

Why do Funi BD releases look bad compared to the Japanese release?

Huh if so, I am definitely buying this BluRay release as this series is worth to support the official release and I only do this with series I enjoyed.

>The uploader has not made this video available in your country.
fugg

White noise reduction because whoever does the encoding thinks that "grain is bad and no grain is better", not realizing that to remove the grain you have to remove the picture quality, and all the colours become flat.
Which is what I'm probably going to do.

>yearly rewatch of Escaflowne
Are you me?

>white noise
I meant noise.

Variety of reasons. I've heard stories where some Japanese companies don't like to hand over the master copies to western licensors, but compression's usually the case. Take note how FUNimation and especially Sentai releases use fewer discs compared to the Japanese.

Not bait at all. I'm completely serious. I understand your being skeptical of someone actually having a different opinion than you. It must really be shocking,

A dub announcement is shit not worth celebrating over. However, that's largely inconsequential considering it's probably dual audio for the BDs.

So yeah. Somewhat excited to see the blu-ray release.

I'd have paid money for it not to be dubbed.

Please view this classic, subbed.

HAHAHAHA

Why was this show so perfect? Animation, art style, screenplay, music were all GOAT.

>Vic Mignogna as Funimation dub voice of Folken

>nips can also have shitty dubs

i dunno, rick and morty in japanese is pretty fucking hilarious.

or are you talking about japanese language track?

cool always wanted to listen to more whining about fighting during every fucking action scene

I'm talking about Japanese voice acting in general.

Now if only it was a bit longer...

Who gives a shit? It's a dub.

The locations on Escaflowne were great.
>Fried capital
>Palas
>Fanelia
>Zaibach

All looked fucking fantastic. Also Folken's flying fortress was pretty cool.

Zaibach's capital has that coruscunt, blade runner city kind of look which I like a lot.

>that fukin ost

KIMI WO KIMO WO

You're wrong. Japan VA is taken far more seriously than VA in the states. Directors are expected to personally oversee the VA, its considered as much a part of direction as the rest. In the West, it's clearly an unrespected thing with no incentive or system to attract real talent, no prestige given to the VAs, if the project has money they just sell it away to use celebrities for marketing purposes. And that's original projects, not even just considering dubbing imported weeb shit.

The West will always be far worse unless the industry changes to give VA the same or more importance Japan has given them. It's really just a case of different values, but you're objectively wrong if you think nip VA is shitty, it's clearly very well developed.

At best you might be able to find a few cases of throwaway series with VA bad enough that the US dub actually manages to be better, but it doesn't mean the US dub is actually any good. The only exceptions are something like Crayon Shin chan where the dub rewrote the entire script with its own jokes, making it a whole new show, or Golden Boy, where the crap overracted VA adds to the humor in its own way.

Damn.
Watching contemporary anime I've forgotten how utterly on another level Escaflowne was.
I...I'm going to need a break...

>it's clearly an unrespected thing with no incentive or system to attract real talent, no prestige given to the VAs

Define "real talent", because the West is surely no stranger to talented VA's throughout the ages, from Mel Blanc to Frank Welker to Steve Blum etc. and there are cases like Ron Perlman where a live action actor becomes a respected voice actor in his own right. You're absolutely right that they get nowhere near the respect they deserve, and that is criminal.

>dub
Eh. Call me when they animate a Hitomi nightgow BD special.

>she never kissed Van.

I just watched it for the first time, and other than the boys and the animation for the gymlef fights, I didn't think it was all that great.

and the ost and a story that we don't find anymore nowadays.

Those are fine examples, what I meant was that the structure of the industry doesn't attract that talent, not that it's nonexistent. Their good work is done in spite of and not because of the industry.
Though I should admit comedy is one area in western animation where the importance of a VA's delivery in framing the script is recognized, unfortunately it's the only area.

I miss Medieval Mecha. When was the last time we got a good one?

Fuck off you broken record kissufags scum.

I'd say the characters were really good more than the story. I realize it was intentional, but having the plot based on things like fate and love changing the outcomes of these huge battles and whatnot -- seemed kind of silly to me overall. The politics were well-done though.

I wish we'd get more characters like in Escaflowne though. They were all complex and well-written.

And this might be a minority opinion, but the OST was very take-it-or-leave-it for me.

Think I prefer the old dub...

Oh well, still glad I ordered this. It's my favorite anime of all time, and I'll gladly throw money at it.

Still have the old DVD Box Set if I want to hear the old dub.

It's a pretty straightforward show, if you're looking for pseudo intellectual value in it you're wasting your time, Escaflowne is nothing more than a story about people learning to accept to take responsibility in a pretty fantasy/scifi setting.

youtube.com/watch?v=3ig4M4hFUrY
youtube.com/watch?v=eNbcKZwXjpY
youtube.com/watch?v=rgdNSXx5w5I
youtube.com/watch?v=2Mmk5-BArIw
youtube.com/watch?v=Fv50DzU2l4s
youtube.com/watch?v=kmmydWaL-H8
youtube.com/watch?v=TP_gg1Kg5EE
youtube.com/watch?v=W_FeLLZ7eIU

Code Geass, Kind of.

Her utter lack of hips is a boner killer.

It's better when you can't tell if the acting is good or bad.

I read on twitter that the Japanese director approves this dub.

What do you mean by "approves this dub?"
Of course, they would want more money.

It's on kickstarter retard: kickstarter.com/projects/funimationprod/the-vision-of-escaflowne-a-new-hd-dub-for-the-clas/posts/1660096

>Part 1 Escaflowne Panel Q&A: Answers from the director Akane-san

>It has been 20 years since The Vision of Escaflowne first launched, yet fans overseas are still so excited about this series. Why do you feel that Escaflowne still remains so popular?

Akane: I actually want to know myself why this is still so popular. Honestly, back then in Japan while we made Escaflowne, we definitely put a lot of effort into it, but we didn’t really make it thinking that we were going to market it abroad. So we had no idea it would end up like this, and I’m actually really shocked myself, in a good way, how many more fans there are.

>Have you ever seen an English dubbed version of an anime that you directed or worked on before?

Akane: Actually, no, I must say I think this is pretty much the first time I’ve seen an English dub of my work, and in fact, it’s about 10 years since I got to watch Escaflowne in Japanese. The American staff and cast are so incredibly good that honestly, I was thinking, “Wow, when did Hitomi and Van learn English?” It didn’t feel strange at all to be listening to them in English, so I’m really grateful to the cast and to Sonny [Strait, ADR Director]. Thank you.

So we mentioned this is a classic anime and the art style is very nostalgic as well. It’s one that you don’t see very much anymore; it’s very iconic. I believe the director has a story behind why the characters look the way they do.

Akanae: So even in Japan, when it first came out, fans responded “why do they have such pointy noses? They all kind of look like Pinocchio…” I want to make sure you all understand that that’s not my preference. It was actually what the character designer Nobuteru Yuki came up with, and he came back to me with “Akane-san, I thought you liked shoujo manga. So I tried to make it look like shoujo manga characters.” And when I first got his designs for the characters, I said “Nooooo, I’m not stamping my approval on these. The noses are too long and too pointy.” But he said “Nooooo, I think this is good, I think we should go with this.” And of course, I got the feedback from Japanese fans, and I found out that American fans and other fans abroad were like “What’s up with the noses?” And finally after a certain amount of time, Yuki-said got back in touch with me and said “Oh, Akane-san, I apologize, I’m sorry… my bad.” It was about a year after the show wrapped that I got the apology.

But it wouldn’t be the same without those noses, right?

Akanae: I’ve kind of come around and started to feel that way.

>Since this is the first release of Escaflowne on Blu-ray in North America, coming this October, could you please give a message to the fans why they should be excited for Escaflowne?

Akane: So as I mentioned earlier, this [dub screening] is the first time in 10 years that I’ve seen this title, and I was just thinking “wow, this is a really interesting series.” So I think I can say with utmost confidence that I, and we, were able to deliver to you fans an English dub [for which] the only difference from the original Japanese version is that the language, that the sound is different, that the feel and the emotions that I felt are exactly the same as when I went through it the first time with the original. So I really hope that you can enjoy, and I really think that you can enjoy, this new product.

>I was thinking, “Wow, when did Hitomi and Van learn English?”
Anti-dubfags BTFO

Japanese voice acting
>Dedicated audio studios
>Everyone important working on the anime is actually present during the voice acting sessions
>Voice actors putting in an effort because their fucking lives depend on it, otherwise they're going to have to work an office job that will kill them in 2 years

American voice acting
>Shitty audio studios, sometimes not even that
>Nobody important actually making the anime is present
>Voice actors don't give a shit about doing a good job and don't know the character because they've never talked to the creators of the anime/source material or done a screening process in order to get the role

Japanese game usually have better dubs.

The thing is most anime VA's don't do it as a career. They do it as a stepping stone. You get some guys who absolutely love what they do, like Crispin Freeman, but even then they have to move on at some point. Anyone who's actually REALLY good at voice work ends up doing Hollywood tier commercials and extras in major animation productions.

>"Angel"
>that scene when Van´s parents met in that lake, under the moonlight

Amo Van

What did she mean by this?

The third points on both sides are bullshit and you know it.

Dubs never ever. They take some hobos from the street to do it for a pack of beer.
I had to sit through english dub once because Wild 7 doesn't have any release with subs or even raws.

Show me an English Dub where the voice actors actually care about the character and tries to make them sound like the Japanese voice. Because, I hope you know, that the anime producers and directors personally pick out the voice actors in order to make them fit the role.

In USA you have the same 5 people doing every voice and they don't give a shit if their performance is good or not, they get paid either way.

OOOOOOOOHOOOOH
OH BABY

The most important question is

German intro yes or no?

>Kekai Sensen
>Dimension W

These are the recent ones that I've watched.

I'm sure you already know of the ten popular dubs that everybody likes to mention in these arguments so I'll spare us.

I'm not saying dubs in general are great. There are still awful ones being shit out every year (Dagashi Kashi is complete diarrhea). But when you have one with passionate VAs and an ADR director that cares about the particular show a lot, it turns out pretty good.

Samurai Champloo
Cowboy bepop
The Slayers
Trigun
SpaceDandy
Hellsing Ultimate
Death Note

I'm not into dubs, but I the things I always notice are when I accidentally see a dub are;
>not a lot of voice actors; there are no more than 8 per series, and some voice a couple of characters in the background as well (I know that this happens in the original japanese anime as well, but it's much more noticeable in dubs)
>they treat it like a kiddie cartoon - the females sound like old hags acting like cute innocent 13 year olds, but failing badly...and the men..oh the men. Everybody speaks in the absolutely same "tough guy" voice, and they don't have as much passion in their voices as the japanese do.

Not every japanese female seiyuu's voice sounds like a kid - they have a large vocal range.

An example would be Itou Miki - she's 53 year old, and her vocal range (at least for me) is somewhat impressive. She can make the average girly teen voice, a cake voice, and a legitimately scary voice which can send chills down your spine.

Has Sup Forums always been this triggered when dubs are the main topic in a thread?

No.

Krauts get it sometimes though

youtube.com/watch?v=sJR86Zufxpw

Wow, that's actually pretty good.

That and her stupid hair cut. Still hate it to this day.

The difference between Japanese and American voice actors is that Japanese are passionate and have a big vocal range. Americans don't.

Oh, and forgot to add something.

Sometimes you can't even recognize her voice when she's working on another anime.

>Hellsing Ultimate
TeamFourStar is better. Just sayin'.

I prefer English myself (been watching anime since 1978) because printing words on the screen is no more 'pure' than dubbing.

I've never understood all the kids who came into this fandom over the years and still can't understand that.

And you guys think dubbing is bad? YOU HAVE NO FUCKING IDEA

youtube.com/watch?v=PRPIOglFPis

There's plenty of good American voice acting, it's just not in dubbed anime. It's in Pixar movies, etc.

Celebrate what? There being an inferior version of an anime you like?

This shitty argument again.

NO

youtube.com/watch?v=zhr-f5LTJPM

Why do dubbers love to say "you guys"? instead of just "guys"?

was supposed to be a reply to

>Simpsons is anime now

You really are grasping at straws aren't you.

>Japan
H-HAYAI

>USA
HOLY SMOKES EVERYONE, THAT GUY IS LIKE TOTALLY FAST!

it would be more accurate if it said

>HOLY SMOKES YOU GUYS, THAT GUY IS LIKE TOTALLY FAST!

Yeah probably.

What's this from?

Keitai

Pretty lousy pick. Even the old dub gave him a cool manly voice.

Old dub had him voiced by the same VA as this guy

They included the old dub on there (they weren't originally but fans on Kickstarter made it clear they would revoke their money if they didn't).