Explain this character. I don't understand his purpose

Explain this character. I don't understand his purpose.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/XJY3YGbzO3Q
utena.wikia.com/wiki/Prince_Dios
twitter.com/AnonBabble

To fuck bitches and lay on a car with an unbuttoned shirt at highspeed.

He came to fuck bitches and fuck bitches.

DESIGNATED

you forgot: to be simply fabulous as well

To turn the main girl gay with his tiny curry dick.

He wanted to fuck the world, also he was technically suppose to portray the devil corrupting everyone.

hes anthys first victim

Dios isn't real

The silent angel, Dios watching over Utena to contrast the vocal devil Akio who actively meddles in everyones affairs to obtain the powers he lost as Dios.

But he was a one point right? It's who Akio used to be right?

>implying

Explain this character. I don't understand his purpose.

Is it bad I barely remember anything from Penguindrum, but I still remember a shit ton from Utena?
What does that mean?

It means you need to rewatch Penguindrum.

Penguindrum is messier than Utena, it probably means you got lost in the narrative and never formed a very clear picture of it.

>further implying

Dios is a very "Greek God" or "Folkloric" type of figure, which means his actions don't really need to make sense as long as we can achieve a kind of "leason" from his downfall.

Over all, he is supposed to exemplify is problem with the concept of a "perfect man" or a "prince", since the prince (Dios) swears eternal loyalty and undying love to all girl in the world, his mission statement becomes a paradox, since he can't be "all loyal" to "all girls" at the same time, despite his efforts. So the girls (and their parents) turn on him.

Anthy, feeking like the ony girl he isn't "all loyal and eternally in love with" decides to take him for herself, both to fulfill her own needs and to save him, which horrably backfires. Since Dios now has no responsability, he is free to use his powers for self-serving reasons, while following a perverted version of his previous moral code.

thanks for that explanation user, makes a lot of sense now.

You made me want to try this series again. It got so convoluted and repetitive for me but that sounds really interesting.

I've got a theory of "real events" based on trying to find a unified truth within the anime, movie, and manga.

Anthy and Dios were godlike beings.
Long ago they were worshiped as gods, Dios chose to be the perfect prince and save all the girls of the world. There was actually a castle in the sky at one point, but in present time the illusion of it is enough.

Eventually this took it's toll on Dios. Dios was dying due to the strain of his mission.
However "dying" can be interpreted somewhat metaphorically. You can say it was the death of Dio's innocence like he started to enjoy his job for a reason other than because he was perfect prince enjoying being a prince (something like he finally had sex with one of the princesses, or he saw how he could manipulate people by being their prince). This is in a way shows how there was never a Dios that even when he was a good person Akio was never pefect and prone to temptation.

Either way at that point Dios wasn't evil yet, but he was starting to turn evil. At some point this internal struggle turned also physical (dying), so to save him from the strain Anthy (though there are implications that Dios told Anthy to do it to him, but whether or not he had good intentions is also up in the air) split Dios and Akio apart. Now if Anthy did this for purely good reasons, or because she was a bit jealous of the affection her brother showed to all the others girls is up in the air (regardless I don't think her jealousy was sexual)

Dios, the perfect prince part of him, went into eternal sleep, but also (lucky for the world) maintained most if not all the god power (there's an interpretation that his resting place is Otori and that's why within the area it seems Akio has power).
Akio is not happy with this situation and without the kindness and innocence of Dios he degrades into a supreme manchild who drives cool cars and fucks bitches, because what else is a prince to do with a rescued prince.
1/2

Going further who was it that locked away Dios' power behind the rose gate?
The different mediums give different answers, but it was either Anthy or Dios (the power) itself. Going by the manga Dios realized what a bad idea allowing his powers to fall into his evil sides hands would be and sealed himself away. Only ever able to be unlocked by someone who was worthy to be a true prince. Something that Akio can never do because even as Dios he arguably failed to be a true prince even then.

Akio knew this too and after however many years it took for him to get bored and want to grow up (but to Akio he doesn't seek emotional maturity, but simply more power and influence). Finally he creates a system to artificially manufacture a prince able to open the door, with Anthy as the false prize.

Now with regards to the Utena coffin thing. Dios/Akio didn't physically free her.
Going by the manga it was a dream Dios sent a dying girl that Akio also entered into (their connection is always present) then Akio-Dios gives her a ring and tells her to go to school for different reasons.

Then the series proper happens and you know the rest.
Also no it's no purgatory and Utena didn't die

>dropping Utena
too much zettai unmei mokushiroku for your taste?

he's just mad that only girls can turn into cars

He's the prince

He's a fake

A man stuck in the past, playing his games of prince without actually maturing or growing up.

He believes himself some all mighty person when in actuality he just like to play around, with cars, women, and other people (through manipulation).

Purpose is to show the contrast at the end when Anthy leaves him, and thus, everything he represents or perpetuates behind. Other purpose is to tempt other people and try to reach a goal that always ends in failure.

Utena felt it had more strict structure. Even with the Nanami episodes and recaps, they sort of helped to grasp the series and how weird it was. Penguindrum was just content with its silliness all the way through without pause.

he's got a really peculiar nose that lets him smell very minute differences in various spices so he's a good counter to Souma, who relies on unorthodox inspirations

ultimately, he's a kind of a foil character

That's a different character this is the prince that would come down an grant Utena the power to bring the world revolution~
>4:25
youtu.be/XJY3YGbzO3Q

You fucks are confusing the characters. The guy in the picture is not Anthy Himemiya brother Akio Ohtori. The prince in ops post is like some sort of mystical space entity that grants Utana some sort of fabulous power
>Prince Dios
utena.wikia.com/wiki/Prince_Dios

he was dead all along

I have a similar theory, and I base it on the Shadow Play Girls, who are aliens themselves, when they narrate Dios and the Witch's story:

Much like the Shadow Play Girls, Dios and the Witch are aliens, and that the five came to Earth presumably when the Western Roman Empire fell. The populace at the time found out that Dios and the Witch are aliens, and allowed them to live, provided they earned their keep, which explained why Dios had to do a lot of saving, and the Witch provided the powers to do so.

However, Dios was too exhausted to continue. The populace demanded he continue, then the Witch told them she put him to sleep, thus leading to them killing the Witch.

Eons later, Dios and the Witch reincarnate in 20th Century Japan as the siblings Akio and Anthy Himemiya. However, when Dios reincarnated, probably there was a personality split, in that, both maintained the same memories, but had different personalities. One is Dios, and the other is whom we know as Akio. Later on, Akio felt that raping Anthy was a good idea to dominate her in retaliation for what happened millennia before, but Dios couldn't act to it.

Dios then hears a certain little girl named Utena Tenjou having lost her parents. He then sees the grieving girl, and after telling her everything, Utena decides to be Anthy's "prince".