/pol aprove this book ? or is another good book influenced by a fat leftist liberal woman?

/pol aprove this book ? or is another good book influenced by a fat leftist liberal woman?

Other urls found in this thread:

medium.com/east-med-project-history-philology-and-genetics/the-insidious-racism-of-mary-beard-et-al-8b6b768b4575
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

If you're interested in Roman history, I would start with Gibbon's "The History of the Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire"

It's a challenging read -- I've only read the first 100 pages -- but it's well worth it. You can easily find free .pdfs of it online.

>gibbon
It's shit mate. Seriously don't even bother with Roman history.

>recommending gibbon in 2017
Surely this has to be bai-
>I've only read the first 100 pages -- but it's well worth it.
Yep.

I've got A History of Rome to AD 565 sixth edition by Arthur E R Boak.

A relatively older academic book, but good and thorough, if a bit dry.

The author is cancer ever since her statements. The book is mediocre though, it's basically a slice of life novel. I'd check out Mike Duncan's new book seeing as how his history of Rome podcasts were the best. If you don't want me to shills his book I can recommend like 10 others that aren't shit like Mary's books

Listen to the audiobook, its comfy as fuck and incredibly good, its not a diatribe or a political book, its a detailed composition drawing from all the best literary sources

Just keep on reading different books and then you can synthesise them and get as close to the truth as possible. No single book is enough.

If you actually cared about it you'd read an academic book

Nope.

medium.com/east-med-project-history-philology-and-genetics/the-insidious-racism-of-mary-beard-et-al-8b6b768b4575

Its nothing amazing, its just a rinse and repeat history book that every history graduate makes

Read the classics, dont support these modern hacks for their reiterations of inane shit with a dash of politics

also you support their other work by them being called onto the bbc to talk about how romans were niggers

just read gibbons, or listen to the audiobook, try the dan carlin podcast or the honouring our history rome discussion

Don't read about shit Roman history read about glorious Germany.

Why would i read about a bunch of faggots who couldnt win a war to save their life?

Mary Beard is definitely a fat leftist woman. I watched one of her documentaries about Rome and all she had to say about it was how multiculturalism (i.e. barbarian horde invaders) was the greatest source of Rome's strength. The only good place for this book is in the bin.

How is gibbon bad? Besides (((new))) people saying he was wrong about moral decadence being a big factor in the decline?

You can’t go wrong with his podcast, either.

History of Rome by Michael Grant. For more casual learning Dan Carlin has multiple series on Rome.

>not reading gibbon

I don't understand all the Gibbon hate around here, if you're into Roman history you're going to read it eventually anyway

>was how multiculturalism (i.e. barbarian horde invaders) was the greatest source of Rome's strength
K E K
E
K

But he was wrong. It wasn't "moral decadence" the early Romans were decadent as fuck too. It was a ton of factors ranging from prolonged wars with Persia, to plague, to the decline of civil-military relations that resulted in innumerable usurpers trying to clime the spot of emperor.

>clime

I mean claim.

That's an oversimplification, but it wasn't all just dirty hordes sacking glorious Rome. The Romans used them in their army quite effectively. The issues first of all when they couldn't pay groups like the Ostrogoths for their service. But when they actually paid them they were useful, they even helped the Romans defeat the Huns.