What exactly is wrong with Re:Zero?

What exactly is wrong with Re:Zero?

it's shit anime for reddit, tumblr and seasonal watchers

LN-tier writing.

Mainly the plot and characters.

Don't forget the hacky, disingenuous social commentary and psychology.

it's too popular for the Sup Forums autist contingency

Not an actual criticism

too short episodes
japan needs to get into 45 minutes format

It's not a shitty loli show, so Sup Forums hates it

SOA hype culture phenomenon

Every year there is this one anime that all the SOA fanbase rallies behind and proclaim as a masterpiece.

Honestly this year of anime has been fucking crap so far.
Only thing i actually find some what good are
Luluco and Jojo and there not even that great.

How so?

Would wanna watch it but then i see the females of this show and they look like generic maids and have a horrible design so i am never gonna watch it.

What's right with it to justify the hype, is the better question. People are just obsessed with Rem, and the more bland she becomes the more they like her. The the world and magic are undeveloped, only Subaru gets interesting characterization and development but he's still annoying, the art style is generic, the action scenes are boring, etc. None of that amounts to an entirely terrible series, just an average one at best. It's just not worth all the attention it gets.

In all honesty, I am just bored by it. It doesn't annoy me, it doesn't upset me, I'm just bored. It had interesting moments but they never lasted.

>JoJo
>Trigger

Opinion immediately disregarded

Are you new to this website?

Luluco is kino

The hype.
Anything popular is not allowed on Sup Forums

No, how would you come to that conclusion?

You actually care about opinions on this site?

>seasonal watchers
where do you think you are

I do when I've been drinking. I don't like people being wrong.

It's too perfect. After watching a masterpiece like Re:Zero, all other anime would look like shit in comparison.

Emilia

I don't like the MC very much.
He sort've flexes between self-insert and retarded plot device depending on what version the story needs. Found myself skipping through a lot just out of disinterest.

I did like the white whale and Betelgeuse. Hopefully there's more spooky cult and giant monster slaying shit.

It's literally the first time I've watched an anime and thought "this would be way more interesting as a VN"

Not a single actual thought-out criticism in this entire thread. I thought Sup Forums was better than that.

It might actually be, although I don't get how the system would work if it's meant to have choices and save/loading.

Wait, maybe you could make it so it autosaves all the time and you can only load the autosave, like Dark Souls.

It's popular.

too much SoL and waifu wars/praise. Humans are pathetic creatures but you can't just transport them to a fantasy world and pretend it's a realistic portrayal if 80% of the time romance is focused on.

>I thought Sup Forums was better than that.

Crossboarders come just to make shit threads about the show

It's basically SAO 2.0

Its cancerous fanbase.

Subaru has become an absolute shit character in the show, since he's somehow turned into the "hero" of the story, which he doesn't fit into. The worst part was, they were starting to make him an actual character, but then destroyed that in place of a self-insert. I've heard good things about the WN, so maybe he becomes less horrible in that. Other than that, it's a pretty okay concept with okay execution (pun not intended), but nothing phenomenal.

I like the fantasy world and the characters. But I hate when more than half of the episode content is Subaru talking about himself or other characters talking about Subaru.

Also, fuck Subaru for chose Emilia instead of Rem.

His existence

The more I think about it, the less I like any of the characters in the show other than the ones that haven't had the screentime to actually allow the viewers to get to know them (Al, Julius, Reinhard, Rom, etc.).

Subaru rejected best girl

>tfw Elsa dies in arc 4
Only character I liked

It is the normie filter of the year, after the likes of One Punch, Tokyo Ghoul and Titan

Boring shit that doesn't actually get good until episode 15 when the MC gets shitted on profusely.

Forgot to add SAO.

He told Rem that Emilia is his #1 but he's obviously making her his side chick. He can't pass up a girl like that.

The bad thing about Re:Zero is that the girls carry the show. Not just any girl carries the show though. Rem carries most of it. What I despise about this show, is that Rem is written to be THE waifu bait that everyone falls for. However, the thing is is that if you don't care about the girls in this show, then Re:Zero is absolutely pointless. The girls (mostly Rem) carry the plot forward, and she's written so the audience falls for her. However, some people can see through the author's setup and just not fall for Rem, but that only makes the show meaningless. For example, episode 18 was only good if you were a Remfag. Otherwise, episode 18 was just too teenagers crying over MUH FEELINGS for 20 minutes straight, which is just not good.

In short, the girls carry the show and move the plot. However, if you don't care about the waifubaiting, then the show has no meaning whatsoever.

All in all, it's an enjoyable show on its own I guess. It's not good, but if you're a sucker for suffering then it's entertaining.

two*

What the hell, I hate Rem but I like the show. What I am?

>If you don't care about the characters the show is shit
Welcome to anime

Grass is always greener on the other side.

Someone who is watching it for the entertainment.

Nothing much, just the fanbase.

This so much.
How many episodes Subaru's been trying to save Emilia?

How old is Subaru in the WN?

He says in the anime he's 18 if you were paying attention.

Yeah I don't like Rem. But I'm not disliking the show.

What carries the show is Subaru's desire to be acknowledged by others. So you haven't noticed. I give no fucks about the girls. I love the manly men that are there though.

I hated SOA but enjoy this.

>tfw you enjoy a show then it gets really popular and now everyone argues about it all the time

I kinda hate that guy and Subaru for the same reason - they're obsessed with their women. Call me a faggot but I think they're not worth it, and if a show has some characters like that I'll tolerate it but if it's a recurring theme it gets annoying. Krusch gets mad respect from me for following her ambitions rather than Subaru's dick.

Though even Krusch had to take a short ride on Subaru's dick, figuratively, giving him all that praise.

Wilhelm's actions are completely understandable. He loves his wife, who he was married to for (probably) 30-40 years, then the White Whale kills her. Most people would be devestated when their wife gets killed, Wilhelm just had trouble managing his sorrow, so he seeked revenge. Subaru's "love" makes absolutely no sense, since all Emilia did was be nice to him. He hasn't had time to really get to know her, so his "love" is completely unwarranted.

This. Basically when an anime is acclaimed as good at some mainstream site like reddit Sup Forums is basically conditioned to hate it unless it aired ten years ago, in which case Sup Forums would fellate it endlessly.

We've been seeing a lot of falseflaggers compare Re:Zero against Evangelion, but let's face that if Re:Zero aired then and Eva aired today the latter will get shat on.

It's already been done, by the west even. It's called Life is Tumblr and it's the most cringeworthy thing ever.

>Not liking Jojo
>Not liking Trigger
Let me guess. You like pretentious cartoons with shit 2deep4u ending like EVA. Or you just baiting

Not him, but any at-length explanation would be wasted on Sup Forums. Just go to some blog or youtube if you want some person's long-winded opinions/criticisms on the show's flaws.

>Just go to a blog
Why don't you link Kotaku already?

LN-shit at times. Seriously, no need for this haremshit, the rest of the story is decent on it's own.

Why do people worship Wilhelm so much? Literally all he's done is say "muh waifu" and wave his sword around a bit. He hasn't said anything of value and his flashback with his wife was utterly dull. Does he do anything good later?

This show is pretty much impossible to discuss here because of all the trolls and rapid fanboys. I like to call it the Bakemonogatari Syndrome.

>rapid
Welp, time for me to go to bed.

Self inserts see too much of their true selves in subaru, and it repulses them.

Saw the first episode and time loops are shit so I didn't watch episode 2. It looks like a show that tries to make you sad with a lot of death and tragedy but not much plot to speak of, sadly.

>Call me a faggot but I think they're not worth it,
Women are never as worth it as anime makes them out to be, and I quickly lose interest in characters obsessed with a single girl.
Maybe I just don't believe in love, but I can't feel anything but wasted time whenever there's a romance going on.

Don't need to discuss. It will go like this
>You gonna type your opinion
>We gonna call bullshit on it
>You will say everybody taste is bad because some of them like some shounenshit
>We will say you were baiting since the start
You can start typing now

Basically this.

There's nothing wrong with it, and it's got some pretty solid high-notes, but because of it's popularity the regular Sup Forums user is gong to bash it endlessly to try and maintain their reprieved image Sup Forums, which quite ironically is either super serious business 24/7 because they operate on another level, or purposefully chaotic and purposefully senseless for the forced sense of anarchy and rebellion.

Personally I'd give Re:Zero like a 3/5 at best. The second arc is trying to take it in some interesting directions to be sure, but I highly doubt it's going to be able to stick any sort of satisfying landing at the end of it's performance.

you must really hate the shit out of yourself then

>trapped in a video game
Everytime.

The MC is shitty and unlikeable,
the only reason the show has legs to stand on is because
some of the supporting cast actually makes it watchable,
but pretty much every scene with the MC up until a couple recent ones is a huge turn-off.

He's not interesting or a mary sue, so there's nothing to care about except that he has a cool power I guess.

I wish the series was about 26-27 episodes long so that it could fit in important details and scenes that were skipped.
I like the story for what it is; and no I did not jump on the hype train I actually knew this novel existed and I was interested in it; however lack of information made it difficult to appreciate the series. I like how many parts of the story are now fleshed and connected and have become a bigger fan.

So special.

I mean't it as a counter for some type of user calling me a hype jumper
Just clarifying I'm not, and excuse the pretentious tone in my comment; it wasn't supposed to sound that way.

It's still ruined for me with the "Transported to another world" crap.

Always seems a lame setup for a self insert everyman.

Unoriginal LN trash that only exists to milk money from people dumb enough to fall for waifubait. Tries to justifiy its existance by adding shock value in form of making the MC suffer or characters die brutally, only to have time be reversed and eliminate any actual consequences.

Fans defend it because they think that gore and tragedy automatically makes a story deep, regardless of how it's implemented. "Its a subversion of the genre!" they'll say, while ignoring how the only thing anyone cares about in the series are the girls, rather than the story, setting or actual quality of the characters. Re:Zero tries to hide, it but in the end of the day it's only another forgettable LN adaptation to add to the pile, and when its forgotten another one will rise in its place, untill the fad dies down, and as such the status quo is mantained. Rinse and repeat.

Reminder : Shock value is to writing what jumpscares are to horror movies, a crutch used by talentless hacks that can only appeal to basic human instincs because they're not good enough to write anything better.

>alternate fantasy world
>indecisive faggot neet mc
BOORING

see
>this entire thread

It's too popular.

Roger Ebert here, back from the grave; I hereby grant this Japanese animation 4/4 stars.

I also take back what I said about video games.

Deuces.

This but unironically

There is 0 reason for the MC to be from our world
That only makes it less interesting, and its so lazy why cant writers come out with real characters that makes sense in the context of the story they want to tell
Anybody can do generic "japanese otaku in X setting"
I could do it

The amount of circlejerk in this thread is insane.

It's shit.

Do it then, Kubo. Fuck.

So is this show considered a harem? I feel like its touching the edges of it but Subaru has been rejecting every girl for Emilia so far. However in the last episode with Crusch, he mentioned that Emilia was 1# and Rem was #2 and that if it wasn't for them he'd be fucking Crusch's tight pussy right now.

No you are a rational person
I can still enjoy love stories if they are well written just dont make the male character into a pussy whipped faggot and treat affection realistically

But anime watchers have no idea how real human beings have love relationships that last past the infatuation phase

Worldbuilding is non existent, word is inconsistent.

Characterization is terrible, with literally everyone being a second class archetype. Princesses are unbelievable. For example if any of them acted the way they did in ep 13, none would be allowed to get the throne. And this is just an example, the whole show is filled with shit like that which breaks any sense of immersion and believability.
All mystique about EMC is done away by the middle of the show, exposing her as bland and stupid as fuck. Instead of remedying this by giving her more focus and fleshing her out, she's put in the back seat. Drill loli, arguably the most interesting and best girl is ignored completely. Red is under developed. Blue turned from an enigmatic ironic otaku bait into bland otaku pandering tranwreck. Inconsistent characterization of main character between eps 1-3, then 3-13 and everything after show how sloppy the writer is handling characters. Then there's utterly inane development of him later on which is neither logically consistent nor plays to show's strengths. If you're making an anime about a loser doing heroic things, don't turn him into a straightforward hero.

There's some good directing and animation, but the music is bland and artstyle leaves something to be desired at certain portions, like the mansion.

My overall verdict what the show is about is that it's self hating otaku pandering. It's all about sucking the viewer's self insert cock before cock and ball torture so he can deceive himself that this is a deconstruction or a thinking man's show for real intellectuals. Of course, how hard this show has been shilled, it was very successful at this which shows how utterly pathetic most otaku are. Thank god for Sup Forums or there'd be no place on the net where people don't suck it's dick.

Most shows considered harems work like this, remember zero no tsukaima?
MC is usually not allowed to openly shoot for more than one girl
Its a harem for the viewers, a waifu buffet if you will

The writing

still one of the best shows this season, but that's not saying much

He seems to be aiming for it based on his own words and actions and comments about him like . Makes sense, he wants to be a somebody so he'd like all the goods that come with it.

The part where Rem dies

Which is pretty close to anime-tier. So I don't see a problem

Is literally (eh get it?) the same