Watching higurashi for the first time

Watching higurashi for the first time.

On one hand i'm sad i never watched it when it was popular on Sup Forums even though I saw a lot of the memes at the time.

On the other hand I think that i was too much of a new fag to have enjoyed it as much as I have now.

Anyways, just finished the first season. And damn Shions descent into madness was actually painful to watch.

Anyways, vintage meme for the trouble.

Other urls found in this thread:

steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=476549069
youtube.com/watch?v=OyGKXb17dV0&
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Higurashi is one of the few anime I enjoy.
I could go back and watch it and still get chills.

I don't get why i never watched it sooner now that I've seen it. I put it in a backlog but just never got around to it.

Its also strangely kind of nostalgic. For example, when coming across a scene that was once a popular .gif

Not exclusive to higurashi, but the fansub group who did it was my favorite. Not just Tl. notes that actually explained stuff, but color coded subtitles, which was nice because i watched it in the back of class in highschool

which group?

sorry i should clarify, I'm the OP, and the typesetting for my batch is awful dvd quality. I mean I'm used to it, but its definitely not up to par with what i've gotten used to.

Yeah Higurashi is pretty good, but some people have issues with the character designs.

We are in denial, or WinD. They're long dead though, nothing since 09 and their site is for sale

I know the visual novels characters are drawn at a 5th grade level with mitten hands. And i do think its kind of weird that mion just carries a gun around everywhere. but other than that they're not that bad. I actually like how the designs in the show can easily transition to light hearted and fun gag or to a serious and ominious look quite seemlessly without having a radical change in the core design.

the designs are good for the wild shifts in tone the show goes through.

>weird that mion just carries a gun around everywhere
She's from a yakuza family, and I think they showed it to be an air gun once

Yeah, I think that the fact they didn't use too detailed animation kind of helped Higurashi overall. And yes the tone shifts were so amazingly done.

I figure its probably airsoft, and they are in a rural town.

But still. My friend had the cops steal his orange plastic airsoft pistol because he was walking around with it in public.

Suspension of disbelief broken. But seriously its just a minor thing.

Animation sucks but I still love it. I consider it one of my favorite anime.

Used to get me scared too, I was like thirteen when I watched it though I've always been a pussy

The "distinction" scene is always good.

>watching higurashi
You are doing it wrong.

I wouldn't say wrong, but you do need to read the VN, or at LEAST the manga if you can handle them changing artists every couple volumes. Also you get to see K1's dad in the manga

I have a hard time getting into visual novels. Maybe i'll give it a try.

>On one hand i'm sad i never watched it when it was popular on Sup Forums even though I saw a lot of the memes at the time.

That was 10 fucking years ago man

Make sure you read the one with the updated art because the old art design was some kindergarden tier shit,if you are familliar with steam you can buy it from there aswell.

I need to rewatch this baked as fuck, thank's OP.

It's probably one of the few series ever to do suspense/horror/shock value ever in anime, great for some "stand the hairs on your neck" kinda vibe.

I know. I`ve been here far too long.

What the fuck is wrong with you guys? You only fucking recommend VN+PS2 patch+Sound patch

Just to add to that, if you go the Steam route, I would definitely recommend getting the 'graphics patch'. It adds the CG images as well as the other PS2 graphics (never a fan of the 'filtered photo' backgrounds)
There's also patches for adding all the voice-acting into it as well, since the steam version doesn't have those for some reason.

are these patches easy to find? and easy to install? might try it then.

Yeah, there's guides for them on the community hub which link to everything you need (usually via GitHub or Mega)

This links to the first VN at least, the guide is fairly straightforward
steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=476549069

rip fingernails

>cute school grills getting murdered so deep and edgy xD
You're all just as big a group of fags now as you were in the 2000's.

>tfw got my finger caught in a wheel today and crushed the tip of it.

It'll be fine but my finger nail is all fucked up. I couldn't even imagine how bad it'd be to rip them all off.

I'll acknowledge your triple dubs. but I'll also say that you're an idiot.

VN > Anime

Read the VN. You'll get the same chills and even more considering how much was left out of the anime. It'll feel like a new experience entirely.

Watanagashi-hen/Meakashi-hen are a lot spookier in manga form. The artist that drew them is great

So I imported the Japanese Vita version VN, and I was shocked they added choices to the VN and some branched routes. Unless I'm mistaken no english version has this?

Does the VN have more suffering in it compared to the anime?

Same amount, but you feel it a lot more

>t. anime-onlyfag

Read the Goddamn VN's

Like right fucking now

Do it you cunt. 1-3 are on steam, the rest are on Mega if you look

Your correct, these are from the D.S. games. It brings the VN in line with the manga.

I think Manga-gamer now have the license to do these bonus chapter along with the first 8 original Higurashi chapters

READ
THE
VN

I think it has the same amount of gory scenes, but you get alot more background on all the characters, pretty much every question you had from the anime has an explanation, and overall you suffer more because seeing these character mutilate each-other is much less fun once you've spent like 12+ hours with them each chapter

Oh my god, that scene was perfect. Between the anime, the VN, and the manga, I liked this scene best in the manga.

DON'T DIE ON ME YET THREAD

Is there way to patch mangagamer OST to steam release?

Out of curiosity, how much of a difference is there between the two?
Call it heresy, but I ended up just replacing the music files with my own compilation.
Corpse Party works well on the more serious scenes

Well shit, can't find steam one but here is example of original one youtube.com/watch?v=OyGKXb17dV0&
It just have more emotion and power in it.

By original I mean mangagamer ofc

Holy hell, you ain't kidding about the difference, that one is so much better than the Steam version.

>reading R07 VNs willingly
>ever
do you enjoying hammering rusted nails into your skull as well, user?

>being a secondary

>not reading Higurashi
How does it feel to be a faggot?

I loved how Tsumihoroboshi ended:
"Fin", black pages and then "Oh, you turned page. You had good ending and now it's all ruined."

Read the VN

So has anyone been keeping up with that live action series that came out recently?

I've had enough with Umineko, no way I'm touching anything that faggot wrote ever again. You can torture yourselves and act as if you like it all you want, but don't bait others into it.

And you think watching an awful anime adaption is somehow better?

Umineko was a mistake, Higurashi is alot better.

No, it's the same thing. The difference is that the VN has a lot of time describing shit, something a visual medium has not. Also since the VN inserts you into the story it feels spookier than watching.

The anime is great, but of course it can't adapt every little detail in the VN perfectly because that would kill the pacing and any sort of fun the anime could bring you, don't tell VNfags that since they want the Anime to be 1:1 adaptation that shows even the most useless details.

Honestly, there's no point in reading it if you've watched the anime, and there's no point in watching if you've read it. Because a mistery is only a mistery once, it loses charm after that

>not playing all the VN's
>then playing the PSP game
>then reading all the manga
>then marathoning all the anime series
Fucking SECONDARY detected

>not playing higurashi pachislot
True pleb

Well, time to seek happiness next summer

GONNA~
TAKE~
YOU~
HOME~

In a town like they're in, I kind of doubt the cops give a shit. There's plenty of places where nobody would give a shit if you walked around with a gun.

so wait. should i get the steam version or is there a better PC version?

Steam version has different music, but is a new translation. The old version manga-gamer originally released had new music and old sprites.

Personally I'd recommend the new steam translation, because quite a bit can get lost in translation with the old one.

The sprites look ugly though.

Okay perfect.

but at least i know there's a way to mod the graphics thanks to

Baby don't hurt me
Don't hurt me
No more

I downloaded the PS2 version of Higurashi a while ago and I'm planning on playing that once my Japanese gets better, but apparently there's a PS3/Vita version that was released recently. I know that they add the arcs from the DS game, but is there anything else added, like new scenes or music for the original arcs?

>Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Sui has all 19 chapters of the console ports, and also includes the drama cd arc, Hajisarashi-hen, which unlocks upon clearing the game. All the arcs are now fully voiced.
Plus the DS art in HD and you have the definitive version.

>I know the visual novels characters are drawn at a 5th grade level with mitten hands
There's a patch anywhere on the internet to replace the PC models with the PS2 ones, that look like int the anime. It makes playing the game a lot less painful.

Is this VN/show actually good or is it

It's a masterpiece assuming you read the VN

So the anime is shit? If I have to read the VN for an adaptation to be good then it's not doing its job.

It's okay I guess. It leaves out a lot stuff out though. If you're adamant on not reading it then at least read the manga.

If you live in America, then it's very different in Japan. When I visited they had entire stores dedicated to airsoft rifles that look exactly like the same thing, no orange tip either.

>same thing
I meant real thing obviously.

the only problem i have with this anime is that during the ending of s2 everything becomes too much of an asspull by the 'power of friendship'

For me it was best horror/thriller I've ever watched.
I really need to start VN finally.

highrashi was one of the first anime i ever watched, saw the cute girls and thought i was in for a treat, i wasnt exactly wrong

Just read the VN

>No, it's the same thing
There's some censorship here and there too, like how Rika stabs herself in the head in OP's pic while in the VN she slits her throat and then scrapes her fingernails across the inside.

> same thing

They fucking removed the third arc's epilogue.

There's more to it than just the violence and crazy girls. The mystery and atmosphere in the first half of the VN is pretty well done. The characters also get fleshed out well enough that the SoL moments were some of my favorite parts of the VN even though I didn't have much interest in them at the beginning.

The gore shown in the anime just attracts a lot of people that are into edgy shows like Elfen Lied which results in a large portion of the fanbase being pretty shitty.

OP, did you fall in love ?

The anime isn't even watchable until Kai, but the payoff is worth it because Kai and Rei are great and there is a huge jump in animation quality and character models.

Kira is just for fun, skip Outbreak.

Whats wrong with outbreak?

>just realized that is fucking Keiichi
I masturbated to that so many times am I gay

what isn't wrong with outbreak? it plays like it was made by someone with a cursory understanding of Higurashi by watching all the gory clips on youtube. Its like bad fanfiction with no point.

Don't remind me. The only good part was that they used Dear You for the ed.

Huh.

What about the extra VN chapters then? The one's past the 8th chapter, they also shit?

Don't watch Kira ! It's non-sense, and not fun. Outbreak is not that bad, but he hasn't links with others parts of higurashi.
Don't understand : he has nothing special. I prefer Satoshi. But i'm not gay, i'm married with Sonozaki (can't figure if it's Shion or Mion).

>Don't watch Kira ! It's non-sense, and not fun. Outbreak is not that bad

People like you exist?

>implying I'm not just going to marathon them

Is the higurashi VN the same type as the umineko one? planning to play the former but I dont really like the generic playstyle of most VNs

Animeonlyfags. I tell you, the only people who love Kira are those who've read the VN and understand that it's the closest to the source material.
>hurrrr it's all SoL sunshines and rainbows!
>there's no mystery murder or gore!!!
>where's my higurashi???
Ignoring the fact that the point of Higurashi was to revel at how great murder and gore is and then bitch slap you for enjoying those things.

Somehow I ended up watching Kai before the first season back when I watched it. Worked better than you might think.

It's not the same type.

Its incredibly depressing. I wish the anime hadn't been made sometimes. Higurashi was always intended to be a mystery thriller not a fucking guro horror. The murders are supposed to be the gut-wrenching ride down on the roller-coaster just after the happy SOL stuff has you feeling great.

You can screen out gurofags with a simple litmus of whether they consider Rena a "yandere" character or not.

In the technical sense, yes. In a narrative sense they are pretty different. Higurashi is a lot less meta till the very end. Its a more straight-forward story. There is a still a "who-dunnit" mystery to be solved which I suggest giving a shot.

Umineko is a totally different experience. And if you want my opinion, a pretty inferior VN. Umineko's ending and writing past chapter 4 (and really chapter 1) left me really disappointed. It doesn't work well as a murder mystery.

I thought Higurashi was a more a commentary on paranoia.

>Rena
>Yandere
That is worse then the horn memes