Just finished reading Gantz

I'm having trouble articulating my feelings about this manga. The art is really good, especially in the last two arcs. The story, though...has there ever been a more poorly executed story before? It had a compelling premise and some genuinely interesting concepts and then it was just...that. Major faults in plot structure, inexcusable discarding of major plot points, asspull after asspull after asspull. I'm stymied.

Nanomachine vampires.

>art
You mean the traced backgrounds are really good?

It was an ok manga that had a few high points

The last arc was JUST tier though, jesus fucking christ

>spoiler
Yeah that shit never made sense to me.

Like I said, it's tough to articulate just how much of a fucked to death jumble the story was. What's strange, and incredibly frustrating, is that if you were to excise each plot element you'd have the basis for an interesting story. The mysterious death game, the aliens, the psychics, the conspiracy in Germany. Hell, even the nanomachine vampires would have at least been a bit interesting if they'd just been given some kind of goddamn explanation.

But they're all in there smashing against each other, not making any sense aside from their immediate importance, and what you're left with is complete dogshit.

>the art is really good

Yeah the shit ugly CG is amazing

muscle rider was the only character that i cared about

There are some plot points that was useless af
also worst girl won

Most of the plot points were useless as fuck. And yeah, Tae was shit. Literally the worst girl in the main cast.

You know what the most stupid thing is?

Okay, Nishi wants to wipe out the aliens by destroying the central pillar of their space colony. Kurono, not wanting to commit genocide, stops him and leaves him to die.

But in the final battle, all the aliens die anyway when the Sephiroth-alien triggers the self-destruct. By not destroying the pillar, Kurono actually EXTENDED the war to no real effect: The outcome was genocide anyway!

Honestly, that's nowhere near the stupidest part of the story. It's still the fact that they introduced an underground society of nanomachine vampires, revealed that Kei's brother is one, then use it as a vehicle to kill off his brother before completely abandoning the plot thread. There's literally no explanation given as to why they exist or why they want to kill the Gantz squads.

Oh shit, I forgot about that!

What happened to the vampires, anyway?

Actually, while we're at it, where did the aliens on Earth come from? They're not the aliens from space, clearly, who are completely different and use a kind of Gantz technology themselves. Like, what was with that?

Morgan freeman tipping fedora arc was pretty hilarious.

>What happened to the vampires, anyway?
They were all killed except for the two who joined the team. That's pretty much it.
>where did the aliens on Earth come from?
They were space immigrants. Seriously, they were just other alien species who'd moved to Earth for no particular reason.

>useless
do you guys really not understand what it means to write a story? I'm just baffled. Define 'use'

There are literally plot points that have no explanation or reasoning as to why they were introduced. Two of the main characters have psychic powers and it's never explained. An entire arc is dedicated to nanomachine vampires and it's never fucking explained. They don't even say where the nanomachines come from. If you're not going to even explain where the nanomachines come from then why not just make them regular fucking vampires?

NANOMACHINES.

I actually enjoyed all the batshit insane asspulls and the unpredictable story progression, you never knew if someone seemingly important would be relevant or even alive in the next arc, like Izumi for example.

fuck don't remind me to best girl reika again ;_;

fuck tae

>Izumi
>committed probably the world's deadliest mass shooting while cosplaying as a black man
>leads the team for several arcs
I genuinely forget how he died, if he even died.

Just got slashed by host samurai in front of his "girlfriend". But that's what I'm kind of trying to say, Kuronos brother just dies without even konfronting him, Nishi dies really early but comes back waay later and lasts almost till the end, Izumi is established as this major rival to Kurono over several arcs and then just completely vanishes from one chapter to the other. It was this unpredictable nature that kept me hooked the whole way through.

Gantz will never get a remake in an alternate universe

>reika

Wasn't she killed offscreen or some shit?

Can't remember either, I don't even remember if he did anything of note after the killing spree

kei-chan kei-chan kei-chan kei-chan kei-chan kei-chan kei-chan kei-chan kei-chan kei-chan kei-chan kei-chan kei-chan kei-chan kei-chan kei-chan kei-chan kei-chan kei-chan kei-chan kei-chan kei-chan kei-chan kei-chan kei-chan kei-chan kei-chan kei-chan kei-chan kei-chan kei-chan kei-chan kei-chan kei-chan kei-chan kei-chan kei-chan kei-chan kei-chan kei-chan kei-chan kei-chan kei-chan kei-chan kei-chan kei-chan kei-chan kei-chan kei-chan kei-chan

It's one thing to be predictable. It's another thing to string the audience along with bullshit subplots by having them think there will be a proper explanation at the end.
No, she died one of those heroic, drawn out deaths in order to save Kei. And then she died again in the Room of Truth in what I'll concede is an incredibly fucked up way. Also, I'm pretty sure Izumi died because nobody wanted to help him. It was karmic justice for the killing spree.

>Art
>especially in the last two arcs

The art is even shittier in the last arcs though. It's just traced CG.

I'm not denying any of that, mind you.
But how does that make them (the plotpoints) useless?

I liked the whole MC cloning shenanigance. It's not even an ass-pull when you think about it.

They're useless because they have literally no use in the story.

Except for they do?

No, they don't The purpose of introducing a new plot point is to have it somehow affect the story in a way that makes sense within the established narrative. What purpose did it serve the story to introduce an underground society of nanomachone vampires? They have no influence outside of their arc and their existence is never explained. You could remove them entirely from the story and it wouldn't matter at all. They were a useless plot point.

Not when they only appear for an arc and disappear despite having some major implications. A story is more than welcome to have unexplained elements (like how magic works in Keyman, there are no rules for the viewer to discern it just works). But things like character relationships, major setting elements, and even plot threads are abandoned entirely in Gantz.

It's like how with Bleach ending there were a lot of things unexplained that begs the question "What was the point of it" except in Gantz's case it wasn't because the series got canned and the author ran out of time to make things connect.

what the..

>suddenly, vampires and a twin brother out of nowhere
>oops now the twin brother is dead

really fell off the rails after that, even if the vamps were pretty cool

lel

Human celebrating with xeno orgies was pretty awesome part of the ending.