Daily reminder that 10 bit h.264 is a niche...

Daily reminder that 10 bit h.264 is a niche, incompatible setting that's only ever used in anime fansub groups and will take YEARS to be adopted by any professional media outlet like iTunes, Google Play, etc.
>Can only be played on modern windows and quad-core+ android devices
>Even when streaming via Plex, issues arise when streamed to non 10 bit h.264 supportive devices (i.e. everything else)
>Benefits are negligible from a properly encoded 8 bit h.264 file encoded on very slow settings with a decent CRF

The only time it will ever be used is in h.265, which is at LEAST 5 years away from even being thought of by digital providers like iTunes, and by extension the devices they use like Apple TV. (i.e. shit that an overwhelming majority of the population uses) The population that pirates shit is usually in the camp of not giving a shit (i.e. YIFY) and only a FRACTION OF A PERCENT cares about 10 bit h.264 even though it breaks compatibility with things the other 98% of the population uses.

The progression of mainstream codecs will go from 8 bit h.264 -> 10 bit h.265, and even that will take awhile and new devices will likely have big "H.265" labels to differentiate this, and even then a lot of people may still use 8 bit h.264 because, when done correctly, it's still a perfectly viable encoding option that's been refined over and over.

10 bit h.264 is the red headed step child of video codecs and will NEVER EVER have widespread support like 8 bit h.264.

inb4 Daiz

?

Daiz doesn't care anymore, he won.

Yes, and so?

What do you think h264 was 8-10 years ago?

What h.265 is now
10bit h.264 is pointless and fractures systems that could be played on

10bit h264 gives better quality for the same file size, and compatibility is a non-issue because no one gives a shit about mobile device plebeians and true anons never leave their battlestation.

>compatibility is a non-issue because no one gives a shit about mobile device plebeians and true anons never leave their battlestation.
you mean 2% of people
for which device makers don't account for

fuck off

I don't know anything about this, but is it the reason my tablet can't handle some files on certain players? I

>quad-core+ android devices

Wow those are so rare.

STOP IT user YOU DON'T KNOW WHAT FORCES YOU'RE SUMMONING

My PC can play 10 bit. Why should I care about what normalfags use or not?

It's already too late. This is the future that you chose.

Daiz took time off of shilling Fakku to try out h265, but it was for some shitty CGI Tokyo Ghoul ripoff that nobody gave a fuck about

>iphone
I know exactly what the fuck I'm doing.
I'm pissed about not being able to watch my fucking chinese cartoon shows on my PS3 because scene groups use the marginally better but highly incompatible 10bit h.264 format.
Because there are people who aren't glued to their PC 24/7

>Because there are people who aren't glued to their PC 24/7

See
>Why should I care about what normalfags use or not?

I'm sure VLC on iPhone can run these videos just fine.

If the format works, and you can just convert it to another one if you have a specific device that needs something else, what's the problem?

>The progression of mainstream codecs will go from 8 bit h.264 -> 10 bit h.265

I mean, yeah? Fansubbers adopted 10-bit H.264 because hardware compatibility was never really something they cared all too deeply about (because advanced softsubs were and continue to be highly incompatible with any set-top boxes and such) and because 10-bit provided especially tangible benefits for anime.

Assuming fansubbing remains alive for long enough, you will likely see the scene transition to 10-bit H.265. The reason it's not widely used right now is simply because 10-bit x265 doesn't really provide much benefit in terms of compression efficiency over 10-bit x264 when encoding at high quality bitrates, so really the only reason you'd use it right now would be for hardware decoder compatibility (or if you were a low bitrate shitter).

Anyway it's 4AM here so I'm not going to stick around in this thread after this post and will instead just head to bed. Have fun.

Oh, one thing I forgot to say before I go:

>I'm pissed about not being able to watch my fucking chinese cartoon shows on my PS3

This is literally what hardsubbed toaster re-encodes exist for. Use them instead of whining about it, especially since your PS3 wouldn't render fancy ASS subs anyway even if the video was 8-bit.

>I'M A NORMALFAG AND SUB GROUPS NEED TO CATER TO ME
Kill yourself.

>people who don't watch anime don't use this, guys!
Who gives a shit?

>quad-core+ android devices
My 2011 Nexus 7 can play 10 bit now with MVplayer

>iphone
>PS3
Just fuck off already.

>PS3
Can't you just get a server program that transcodes them on the fly? I'm pretty sure I've streamed to devices that way with no issue.

he's currently sleeping but i'm sure he'll post in 5-6 hours.

WTF? Anime is meant to be watched on a TV user.

Daiz will never not care about codecs, silly user

Daiz cares about everything. He sticks his bald head into everything. It's what he does.

This

I just want to let you know I read that in David Attenborough's voice, and I kek'd heartily.

Here we have the unusual specimen known as Taneli Vatanen. Refereed to colloquially as Daiz, it is indeed a most spectacular creature to behold.

It made its habitat in what is known as the Western Weeb hemisphere of the internet. Often spotted in the Sup Forums region of the Sup Forums island, it has also been occasionally spotted in trenches of reddit. It is also theorised to be migratory species as it is now seen to travel between the Sup Forums region and Fakku peninsula.

This creature is also observed to be inquisitive and territorial; a deadly combination as researchers have found it to always be on the lookout for newer pastures to make its home, which often result in it drastically changing the landscape of its new environment. Historical records shown of the Daiz occupying the Sup Forums region and chasing out or killing off the native 8bit so as to assert its own 10bit preferences. It then proceed to migrate to the Fakku peninsula where it mated with the local species known as Jacob, which in turn resulted in a population boom that threatened the rare and possibly endangered Sad Panda.

>will take YEARS to be adopted by any professional media outlet like iTunes, Google Play, etc.
It will not be used by any of those, ever. Google has already gone almost full VP9 8 bit and has no reason to switch to h264 main 10. Their next switch will be to VP10 or AV1.

HEVC/H265 main 10 is the only >8 bit codec that will get some use, because of 4k Blu-Ray. h264 main 10 will forever be a fansub only thing.

Why the Daiz continually migrates between Sup Forums and more fertile regions of his domain may never fully be understood. He steadfastly flaunts his hi-bit display in every corner of his territory. Is he hoping to scare off challengers with his technological prowess, or merely intimidate potential rivals? We may never know. What is certain, however, is that his dedication to his bizarre and often incompressible ritual continues to attract mates and secure his contribution to his species gene pool.