Thoughts on Yuki Yuna? I heard good things about it, but found it hard to get into...

Thoughts on Yuki Yuna? I heard good things about it, but found it hard to get into. Most things in it felt a little too conventional, and the things I thought stood out from other series of its genre got too little time. Fu was pretty great, and the religious angle was interesting, but Karin felt like a character I've seen dozens of times before. The ost and visual direction likewise didn't seem much out of the ordinary.

Am I missing the appeal, or was it just an ordinary mahou shoujo?

For me the greatest appeal was the emotional catharsis in the last few episodes, but it only worked because they managed to make me care enough about the characters, something which watching it weekly, discussing it with Sup Forums and reading the side materials while it was still airing helped a lot with. I also liked the way the unveiled the setting, but again, side materials and weekly discussion made it more enjoyable.
I'd say it's the kind of show that only hits the right notes if you can get invested enough during the ride.
Also the last episode was rushed and should've been split into two. Sup Forums agreed, don't bother him about it.

She's gay! She's actually gay!

>side materials
I remembered reading that they really helped in a thread before I watched it, and there did seem to be a lot of small details in the setting that really could have used more elaboration.

And the catharsis at the end definitely hit all the right notes.

yeah it's an ordinary Mahou shoujo...
Great history but shitty ending

The anime does a piss-poor job of explaining why Taisha ever thought mankai would be a good system to implement. Maybe the supplementary materials offer better insight, but it still comes across as a conflict borne of monumental stupidity. The ending also came off as an asspully shounen. I think the SoL elements were executed better than the mahou shoujo elements, but overall it's a decent anime.

Yuuki Yuuna is my Yuuniverse!

Have you seen Madoka? This is important. The show is built on the assumption that the audience will be more suspicious of magical girl shows after seeing Madoka.

Other than that, the visuals and the music is fucking amazing. Forestize Warning has been my ringtone for well over a year.

Good show with an asspull ending that fanboys like to pretend wasn't an asspull.

Post the mp3

Same here, this show is dumb but fun. Togo and Fuu are my favs.

The problem with the side materials, in my opinion, is that they make it harder to like the actual show.
There is some stuff there that is really a missed opportunity in the show. Like the teacher directly reacting to what the girls are going trough in the Tougou prequel or the hero team of the 300 years prequel interacting with the adults around them and seeing by themselves how cruel the Vertex was.

Walmart Madoka

Karin best girl

I wanna ask her out!

I want to watch Yuna fistfuck Togo!

It was interesting, but the characters were poorly written and the ending was terrible.
Overall, worth watching if you have time to spare, but it's far from a masterpiece.

Couldn't even get through the whole thing. Got to like the 7th episode and ditched

>He literally stopped at the last episode before the wild ride.

Unlike Madoka which attempts to be edgy for the sake of edge, Yucky Tuna establishes an appropriate level of tension before finding a resolution. The mistake its detractors make is in believing the ending is an asspull, when in fact were they to pay attention and wade into the pool of additional material, the explanation for the end as it was would be as clear as day.Yucky Tuna assumes its audience wants to know more about the world and has a greater attention span than a 3rd grader. While Madoka feeds everything to the viewer as a mother would feed a toddler.

Togo is a traitor. And Karin is a best girl.

To be honest I'm up to date with all the material and I have yet to see something explaining the ending outside of "oh we are going to make little girl armies now".

It's a shitty anime trying to bank on Madoka's popularity. Nothing more.

At least it is the only one which actually didn't flop /s

I don't get from where people take the idea that producers are keen on copying Madoka considering any show even slightly near to that usually flops, in fact, this very series was apparently delayed for a while due to that fear.

Even stuff older than Madoka like the manga Magical Paddler got canned because it wasn't well received anymore after Madoka

What's to explain?

Yuna is my Goddess.

There were dark magical girl shows before Madoka, Uta Kata is an example

GYUUKI GYUUNA WA GYUUSHA DE ARU

But they were also mostly shit.

This is an allusion to christmas cakes, which Fuu will become.

She is literally a horned devil though

Blasphemy! Delete this!

Yeah they were but Madoka didn't innovate anything

That's objectively false
Madoka innovated shitty fanbases

Nah, LoGH did that 1988.