Is this guy the most retarded MC of all time? His autistic outbursts are top tier cringe material

Is this guy the most retarded MC of all time? His autistic outbursts are top tier cringe material

keep hating on the best anime of all time.
Subaru > favorite MC

Watch more anime.

But think how boring it would be if he was a typical shounen MC and just won all the time without any /r9k/tier outbursts

There's Ichika or the MC of Taboo Tattoo but the latter feels too dropped.png to be used as an example.

>tfw every migraine inducing MC will be voiced by Yusuke Kobayashi eventually

Probably better than Yuki Kaji.

NO.
HE'S A COMPLEX CHARACTER OK?

God forbid we get a good written character for once, right?
>At least this pile of shit doesn't smell as bad as that other pile.

I dunno I feel like there are ways to make a character interesting other than making them functionally retarded. I mean this guy ignores literally EVERY OTHER CHARACTER telling him "Don't go, you're fucking useless and will be a burden" despite the fact that he ignored everyones advice just a few dasys prior and it led to him making a complete and utter embarrassment of himself. It's painful watching a character make so many bad decisions for no other reason than "muh anime MC martyr complex"

>something bad happens
>tries to put a strong face for 2 seconds
>things don't magically get better
>goes full despair mode
>repeat 2 times per season cour

it's already fucking boring

>mc either has to be kirito perfect fag or autistic blubbering baby

Anime is dead

>things magically get better
>it's like nothing even happened

Why are both the fans and the detractors of Re:Zero so fucking retarded? These threads are always filled with dumbasses on both sides now.

Whats dumb about criticizing how shitty the MC is? He's a whiny, useless sack of shit who constantly embarrasses himself and everyone around him with his complete inability to shut the fuck up and use his brain

Fans are dragging everyone down.

He doesn't even learn anything is the worst part. Literally the same retard for 20+ episodes that has a fixation on a girl he barely knows just becuase he saw her first.

Middle grounds become Kiritos. Shonenshit proves that. Even Berserk knowing Miura is gonna find a way for Guts to save Casca and kill Griffith because Idolm@ster fried his brain

He's under a love spell idiot. Read the novel

Isn't he a NEET? I guess it's realistic in how a person with zero real life social skills would act, but it hardly makes for compelling viewing.

Gotta love those explanations 8 novels into the series that justify why something has been so poorly written until then.

He probably has actual autism too from the shit he says so I guess it's sorta accurate enough.

>it was all just a dream

But that's realistic, it's not like any other kind of fantasy where the MC is a gary sue fucker full of his shit.

Do you think people always make good choices in life? most of the time you don't even get one right.

Do you think you'd actually do better than Subaru?

Good writing allows for the MC to be sympathetic no matter what. He can still have his flaws and make miatakes but they have to be understandable. You can have the viewer side with a character no matter how awful the character is as long as they're written well.

Saying to accept him for being stupid just because we've all been stupid is a low standard for good character writing.

Yes. Almost certainly. It wouldn't take me 3 days of dying and seeing the same shit Groundhog Day style to figure out the same day is looping for example

Is that the only example you have? That's a pretty low effort answer because Re:Zero intentionally makes Subaru seem daft about that because Arc 1 is all about setting itself to look like a by the book Isekai. Subaru really starts to show his actual character about halfway through Arc 2.

He's certainly one of the ugliest.

Not being a Mary Sue doesn't necessarily make a character realistic.
If you make them to useless and retarded, that isn't realistic either.

WN/LN writers always struggle with making a balanced MC.

Oh ok. He's written to be a retard deliberately, that makes it much better

Not that guy, but needing a whole arc and a half(20+ episodes) to have your character start changing would be considered massive filler. Especially if your MC is unlikable. I can think of so many unnecessary things to cut out that have no bearing on any character development or plot.

You need real life experience to write a realistic character user. Hardcore shut-in otaku don't fulfill this prerequisite.

It's not just the MC. Hell, this is a novel in which the readers were wondering who the main heroine was, because the one that was seemingly portrayed as such hardly got any focus, development and relevance.

Even if we go by the idea Emilia might be Satella, that doesn't excuse her character of being underdeveloped and hardly relevant.

I know the author clearly is an amateur, but I've seen amateurs being able to present their main characters a lot better than this. Making them unlike-able and/or irrelevant isn't a proper way to start. It makes you even wonder why anyone would introduce them like that.

>there are people still calling subaru realistic

No teenager who's experienced a brutal as fuck death because of a random girl who looks hot will want to get themselves in that position again and avoid it.

Yeah, at first the anime seemed like it was self aware and made fun of isekai tropes. Then it just kept going and the characters turned out to be just as shallow as any other shitty anime.

The pacing is awful, and it jumps all over plot points.

>death rewind
>evil gut assasin
>emperor ascension
>mansion slice of life
>learning about elemental powers
>evil religious cult
>demon twin arc
>evil forest
>giant whale
>apocalypse by spirit

The focus in this anime is awful.

Goes to show how re: zero fags always bolt from a thread as soon as people point out why their anime is so shitty.

I feel like alot of people are missing the subtleties which make Kirito and characters like him boring. The main reason why Kirito is a mary sue is that his ablilties don't make sense within the context of the narrative or setting (high level despite never being seen leveling, gaining a unique skill from nowhere, hacking the game within the game, ignoring death, gaining admin rights, etc). It's perfectly possible to make an OP protagonist interesting if their powers make sense within the setting/narrative and they have a personality which compliments their OP abilities.

Why do so many Sup Forumsnons hate mcs which show the slightest sign of competence all of a sudden?

> Gut assassin
Orders.
> Emperor
No one really gives a fuck about the candidates. They only care about the dragon who's their lifeline. They don't care about image, image runs dry like water when water and bread runs out. They held no regard for the royal family and cared more about the covenant.
> Mansion slice of life
Introductions. Nonetheless, after Subaru's first death in the mansion, Subaru hid his true emotions to retrace his steps and pay attention to what was occuring. It was smart but jarring to people who did not bother to pay attention.
> Elemental powers
Isn't this kinda worldbuilding about mana in this world?
> Cult
Main villains of the series.
> Demon twin
You should pay attention to Rosewaal. And wonder why he let everything happen.
> Evil forest
The demonic beast have been around forcenturies. Besides, the little girl did it. The blue haired one. She's the same as Elsa
> Giant whale
Demonic beast. Also, the witch cult were being the ones controlling it like a pet.
> Apocalypse
As if that would work. Reinhardt will kill Puck.

Can you find an example of a mc that gets shit on undeserved?

>Why do so many Sup Forumsnons hate mcs which show the slightest sign of competence all of a sudden?
Because they hate seeing characters that aren't like themselves.

I didn't say i didn't understand them.

There are so many i have little reason to care.

You're projecting. Subaru has convinced himself he's in love with Emilia. People will go to pretty extreme lengths for somebody they love.

Also, he did attempt to give up at one point, but Rem basically talked him out of it.

Guts from Berserk.

there's the fact that hes under a lovespell.

He's not a mary? He has plenty of failures and flaws in berserk.

Subaru can achieve if he bothers to sit down and think for awhile. He's too clouded by his emotions and in over his head when it comes to wanting to be acknowledged. I do not care for a likeable protagonist as long as they have a desire like Subaru's, wanting to be someone in front of others. That's his entire character.

hehehe he made me cringe harder than I ever thought I could.

whitefox dropped the ball with this shit

That is your perception of the events. I see it as events that unfold before the protagonist who wants to be someone in the world and essentially using that desire into events to push himself to keep himself in those events while valuing his own life in the process.

>It's ok if the character is total shit as long as I can cherry pick one defining characteristic that his entire personality is based around
C'mon dude. This is on the level of Fate fags arguing Shirou is a good character because he has a martyr complex

Saying that he can solve all his problems by sitting down and thinking enforces his bad writing. He can be clouded by judgment and still be a good character based off the writing around him and his progress/failure to learn.

Someone being being hotheaded for a majority of an anime with no character development does not make a compelling character.

Seigi is 1000 times better than shitbaru

What love spell are you talking about? I see his attraction towards Emilia as someone he holds on a pedestal for giving a first reason for him to matter in this world. And then it's clear he's using her as an excuse to what he really wants, to be acknowledged.

I only hope steins gate zero will be able to save anime.

or maybe we will get a 3rd season of haruhi, if the faggot author gets around to writing more lns.

I want to smack the fuck out of him but being a teenager, having hope for an interesting life for the first time and repeatedly dying while watching the people you're starting to care about die and getting ripped apart trying to fix it and save everyone would fuck with someone, and having no one remember or believe you because it never actually happened... that would make someone lose their shit. And freaking out over the fact that no one cares about all the hell you went through by ranting at someone is pretty calm all things considered.

>Subaru has convinced himself he's in love with Emilia

No way did he "love" her in the first arc, he was merely attracted to her. The trauma of those deaths in the exchange area should have scared him away. People will go to the extremes for some others that they've known and been close to for ages yeah but he barely knew shit about her then so it's clearly unrealistic for him throw himself in to death situations multiple times for the sake of someone he barely knows and just attracted to.

Keep in mind this is the same Subraru which deduced how he was dying (curse), who he was cursed by (dog), and how he was cursed (bite) in a few minutes of thought, exploiting his return by death several times, negotiating a deal with two enemy princesses, coming up with a plan to defeat the white whale, and bypassing Crusch's lie detector ability.
To me it seems like he becomes dumb when the show wants him to suffer, but smart when it's time to move the plot.

>entirely shit.
There's really nothing wrong with Subaru's desire to want to be a person in front of others. But that desire leads him into negative aspects of his personality. You only see him as an asshole only, I see him as someone who has desire to become someone and failing miserably. I haven't gone into the fate series nor do I know Shirou.
He can think if he focuses. He will hold a mask to hide his emotions but that will break when people see him in a certain way that people do not like. You do not change when you are told off. Character development does not work that way. You must pluck the roots of everything that the character has in order to truly develop. You saw character depth, not development but depth is just as important.

My point is that he's overpowered, not a mary sue, and that an op character isn't automatically a sue.

no one would have a problem with a mentally deteriorating character if the said character is portrayed in a way that is believable(i.e shinji). the problem with honda is that he is sporadic in a way that seems contrived as fuck and extremely over the top.

It's not perception, it's basic story structure.

Re: zero is basically

>ge lets add this, and then do this becuase its cool, and then have this introduced so they can suffer, ect

It's shallow becuase nothing actually develops for characters or story. You SHOULD be able to argue that these events happen so X can happen, but there is no X. There is no character growth, the plot is always changing so there's no endgoal progression. Rem is the most developed character in the anime and she's not even respected properly by the writers.

Why does subaru decide to suicide off a cliff early in the episodes just so that he can react scared/the same way in later episodes?

Why do characters introduced in the beggining in the anime get brushed off for new characters and put on the back burner?

Why is emelia the cherished love interest when other characters have more screen/development?

There is no theme to support the answers to the questions. Things just ARE.

>High level

Prolly grinded off screen

>Unique skill from nowhere

Kinda dumb and only excuse I would even bother defending with is his dumb cowtits cousin training IRL. Still contrived

>hacking and cheating death

Really dumb. Author got himself in a real corner.

>Admin power

Blame the first arc boss' ghost and not Kirito this time. In b4 its some bleach tier keikaku when the author wants to end SAO because he's made enough money.

He's dumb when he desires for more attention. Like always. He became focused because he was trying to prevent his death in the mansion arc. The first arc had his desire and eventually having him act like and idiot for the most part and rushing in. He needs time to plan, he pays attention but he needs time to plan. He had plenty of that in episode 1 when waiting for Felt. There was something strange in episode 1, Subaru seemed to only remember in parts after his death and it took the second death to give him enough shock him regarding the situation. Then the third death gave him some realization. He took time to think and figure out return by death. In arc 3, he wanted to have self-worth for himself by drawing attention to himself. He didn't do so in arc 2 because he was focused on preventing his deaths. When he focuses on the situation, he is perceptive. It always was like that.

>Keep in mind this is the same Subraru which deduced how he was dying (curse), who he was cursed by (dog), and how he was cursed (bite) in a few minutes of thought
That's giving him a lot of undue credit. He didn't realize it was the dog until the curse floated out of the bite mark, doesn't take Sherlock Holmes to figure out it was the dog when he was explicitly told that the curse would be removed from the area where he was touched

His "mask" is "developed" in the first 5 episodes. He doesnt need 15+ more to reiterare the same things. There's value in brevity. What we get is just a spam of the same issues with little return satisfaction. There aren't any plot points or themes that add to the "depth" of his character.

He is doing it for himself. He decided to do so in this world with his life to be acknowledged like a hero, he will do so. Heroes get praise and become acknowledged. Is that not what Subaru really desires?

He threw himself on those situations because of his newfound powers. He was glad when he found out about the return by death, and it deturpated his mind a lot. That's why he does things that other people think it's impossible or irrational. To him, it's just another try, cuz he has infinite continues. Nonetheless, dying and suffering still affects him psychologically and he breaks down a little everytime it happens.
Subaru sees that world like a fucking VN, and acts like so. He talks about wanting to help Emilia "because that's what I want to do, nothing else", that just shows he saw Emilia as the "main girl" and stuck with that route like in a VN

>character depth
in my opinion for a character to have dept the said character needs to have a variety of states, while it could be argued that toyota has this the problem with is that his states are discreet to a degree that is completely unbelievable. if he is not in raving mode, he is in tryhard mode, if not that then he is in happy go lucky mode. the transition between these states is completely unbelievable and contrived.

ocabe is an example of a deteriorating character done right, for his transitions between states is completely believable and thus more impactful.

Bullshit he accepts his power to return from death. He consitently shows fear of dying even when he dies with no pain or awareness. He's even killed himself once already to reset time so why would he care if he died later? He always freaks out over the deaths of his friends(which gets really fucking redundant) even though he has a magic reset button. If the writers wanted to touch on his fear of death they should be exploring what death means to him other than him being scared. Especially since it's not something that he theoretically should be scared of.

huge lols at "lovespell"

writing doesn't get much better than this, gents

> Decide to suicide
He committed suicide for himself. He felt acknowledgement and how he said HE will save them. But remember how Subaru hesitated that entire day from committing suicide. He committed suicide after feeling like he mattered from remembering the hand-holding. But in the recent episodes showed himself to not feel acknowledged. But he also values his own life. But his life is driven by the views of others. If people acknowledge him, he feels acknowledged to work. If people see him as trash, he sees himself as trash. If people see him as a hero, he will become a hero.
> Emilia
She gave him a purpose in this world and acknowledged him first. And a purpose is what Subaru desires.

He's not. Stop talking like you know shit. You don't.

I was referring to the first episodes when he was trying to discover if he had some kind of ability after being teleported to that world and was bummed after getting no results. But when he found out about the response thing, he commemorated. That was his power and he was glad he had it, cuz that meant he was a MC.
But even so, dying sucks and it's traumatic as fuck. Subaru and his actions are the proof it that it can fuck your head up. He's scared of dying because he suffers, he feels pain, he has to repeat all the shit he already did, find solutions and act like nothing happened and never yelling anyone. But at the same time, it's the only way he can actually make stuff happen, gather crucial information and be useful. Everyone thinks he's reckless and a madman saying shit like "I'll just bait the white whale", but like I said, to him it's just another continue, that's why he feels he can do the impossible while being a shithead loser

this.

and it is funny that he goes into 'it is hopeless' mode only after trying to get out of a situation like 2 times. it is comical really.

Why didn't Felix detect this when he was healing him? Hell, why didn't Beatrice detect this when she was searching for curses on him?

>Especially since it's not something that he theoretically should be scared of
Actually it does make sense that he's deadly afraid of dying. Just because he knows he'll wake up doesn't mean he wants to have his guts slashed open over and over. The mental trauma of retaining the memory of the excrutiating pain would be more than enough to keep most sane people from just using death as a reset button over and over. The moment where he stops himself from jumping off the cliff is totally realistic. Even if you were 100% sure you'd simply wake up again after dying would you willingly jump off a cliff to your death? I'd say the propect of not having a 'clean' death and having to wait a few hours in excrutiating agony while your organs fail would give most people pause. Even if you know you have a second chance it's not easy to just shut off a million years of survival instinct built into your genes.

That said I agree with you that they could do more with it other than just "I'm scared!". Being able to redo your decisions Groundhog Day style is a massive deal and surely there would be at least some internal conflict between "I don't want to die painfully again" and "If I kill myself I can redo all this and make it right"?

>implying he's even wrong

No, Shirou is a fucking Gary Stu. He's nothing like Subaru except both have a hero complex, but Shirou's entire character is outlandishly unrealistic.

I don't know why so many people on Sup Forums think a basic hero complex is a trait that only exists in anime. Plenty of people have them in real life, and it manifests in a multitude of ways.

You keep talking like he has a hold of his role in the world with his powers and that his conflict arises from actually dying.

That's not what's portrayed at all.

We don't have a character that knows he has the advantage of resetting with death. We have a character that acts like every failed situation is the end of the world. He consistently volunteers to do things that cause him pysical pain without death, so why the fuck is pain to death any different?

There's no exploration of what death means to him personally. He lives his life as if he doesn't have the power to come back from death.

Wrong, he does not treat it like that. Pain he can handle. But the one thing that makes return by death different for a character like him is that he values his life too much. He puts his life on the nonetheless but that is considered for him to want himself to have a purpose and reason to be around from others. He values his life too much and hesitates nonetheless in suicide situations and before dying. He treats it too much as if it were the last. That is your people's problem. He doesn't want to die. He wants to really live. His desire to want self worth from others keeps him going to keep himself feeling he's alive.

Having a hero complex doesn't mean you abandon all common sense. Justifying poor writing and shit characterization by lumping everything under the umbrella of "He has a martyr complex" is way too common in anime. Ok, he wants to protect Emilia because he loves her, perfectly reasonable. Why the fuck would he deliberately disobey her wishes, sneak in and instead of keeping a low profile and finding out what is going on acts like a complete fucking autist and ends up getting his ass beat? That's not a martyr complex, that's just sheer stupidity.

Bottom line is Subaru has very little brainpower and is consistently written into situations where he defies all logic in order to manufacture some drama in the story.

In the end he will kill himself to reboot again but his power won't work anymore and he will be truly dead

But that selfish "i don't want to die" mentality isn't explored competently. It seems at random when he's ok with dying. We really don't have the focus of "oh shit just got fucked up, but i really don't want to die" past that cliff suicide. Every situation after where shit gets fucked up is him thinking "all my friends have died!!!" With nothing else layered. I LIKED that he suicided with hesitation. That was a good moment. But it's hardley representative of the majority of the anime.

That's meaningless Japanese navel gazing.

His personality is the same in arc 1 you just don't pick up on it, Felt and Rom constantly tell him he has a rather scummy personality but because he's nice to people and trying to do good things it isn't as noticeable. He gets scared, ignores the well being of others for Emilia and even has an autistic outburst on behalf of someone else and it's played off as trying to by time.

I'm a little confused on the whole scent of the witch thing. People only mention it when either they meet Subaru, or just after a stressful death. Does his scent increase every time he dies and never goes down? If so why don't more people mention it? Or does it increase in accordance with his emotional state? Why did Betelgeuse try to kill Subaru despite him smelling like Satella? A whole bunch of other cultists bowed to him because of it. Why has no one, not even Subaru, even tried to find out WHY he smells like Satella?

His scared of pain yet he constantly volunteers for it. Why would you sign up to get the shit beat out of you by a knight and not think "hey, i should buy a suicide pill in dire situations".

Its stupid inconsistent.

Lack of curiosity about their situation is a defining trait of a poorly written character.

subaru is a fantastic protag and the development and complexities he's given as a character due to the situations he deals with are extremely interesting and entertaining to watch

like no matter how many people bandwagon to shit on him i'll never think any differently and it's surprising to me that such a refreshing character is so disliked by the majority of people

He's a static, shallow, caricature of an MC. Just becuase he's autistic instead of OP doesn't make him a good character.

> Live his life
Wait a minute. Subaru put himself in those life-threatening situations because he felt like he still had a purpose from others when others acknowledged him and killed himself from that. But when you take away the acknowledgement and the feeling of it, what are you left with? The situations where he doesn't want to die. Views of others are what keeps him alive. But Subaru treats his lives as if it were the last. Doesn't that mean he values himself?

When Subaru does ignores common sense, it's because he's massively prideful (and lazy), not because he has a slight hero complex.

What specific examples are you talking about where Subaru is doing dumb shit out of actual martyrdom? He's almost always has a selfish motivation for all the stupid things he does.

This. How can you faggots not get it yet? It's almost as if Sup Forums is filled with underage, immature and self/inserting people that nobody will love, yet will resort to hating on fictional characters to justify themselves being """better"" than Subaru.

>Why would you sign up to get the shit beat out of you by a knight
Well we're talking about a guy who sneaks into one of the most important congregations of people in the land he's inhabiting and goes on an autistic rant and blurts out that he's a knight without knowing even the basic customs of the land or what being a 'knight' even entails. He doesn't exactly think 2 steps ahead, he functions purely on instinct and what happens in the moment. Subaru is very much a 'shoot first and whine when the gun explodes in my face' kind of guy

> Arc three situation
No, what he really wanted was attention and using her as an excuse at that moment.

>Why do so many Sup Forumsnons hate mcs which show the slightest sign of competence all of a sudden?
Subaru isn't competent. And there are far bette protagonists then him.

And to have that type of character for the majority of an anime is exactly what makes him shallow. He's rational enough to contemplate his fear of death but he doesn't think about situations that cause his death. Do you see the inconsistency?

Subaru wasn't afraid of dying in that scene, he was afraid of responsibility.

Suicide doesn't actually scare him, he was struggling with whether he should just run away and take the easy path, or continue trying for the sake of having friends.

>He's almost always has a selfish motivation for all the stupid things he does
At least, you understand.

So suicide doesn't scare him, why doesn't he just suicide whenever something goes wrong?

>"We go to the moon not because it's easy, but because it's hard"