Do Europeans really do this?

Do Europeans really do this?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=ouNTY3HiEk0
youtube.com/watch?v=9-Bqycjw_tw
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

No.

I did this as a child when i was counting.

Make a fist and try extending your thumb and your pinky. Which feels more effortless?

I do this and I'm an eurofag so maybe.

I did it when I was young (Germany). I guess it's normal here.

I do that when i count

Who the fuck uses their pinky when counting 1?

If I'm counting up to anything above 2 then yes but otherwise I just use my middle and index.

Yes.

It's true that americans make a 3 with the index, middle and ring finger?

wtf europe

youtube.com/watch?v=ouNTY3HiEk0

this is how you do it

Not all european countries.

Lots of places would count 1 2 3 4 5 using index -> middle -> ring -> pinky -> thumb

It's actually a plot point in Inglorious Bastards that an english spy holds up 3 without using his thumb. Germans would use their thumb, the english do not.

That's how I do it.

Yes if have to count more than 2
If not you end up using just index and middle in most cases, for example when taking an order in a bar or something

Also when making the 4, some people use the thumb for the 3 and then swap the thumb for the pinky

This video is extremely funny to me as this guy can't control his tumb going on its own and messing up the counting

Are you saying there are people who don't do this? Fucking weirdos.

So let me get this straight

When you're counting more than 2, you use the thumb first, then index, and so on, right?

Except when dealing with the number 4, in which case it's easier to just use everything but the thumb.

And the number 5 you just have all of your fingers out.

So if you'll need to count the numbers 1, 2, 4, or 5, you do it the way that starts with the index and ends with the thumb, but if you need to count the number 3, you do it an entirely other way?

Yeah, nah, fuck outta here with that backwards faggot shit.

My German (specifically from Allgäu) great-grandmother used to count like that.

this is what american people believe i guess...

Honestly i find holding the pinky down too uncomfortable when the ring finger is up, so i just subonsciously avoid doing it

yeah because it makes perfect sense to begin with the first finger on your hand, i.e. your thumb and not the index unless you're an autist

Well then at least have some goddamn integrity. Hold down your thumb and index finger, keeping the middle, ring, and pinkie up when you count the number 3. Have it be like giving every motherfucker you see the grand OK, just because you have two more numbers up than the amount of girls who've touched your dick.

This is the only finger thing I do.

it's the superior method

Hold out your thumb, index and middle finger. It's quite uncomfortable isn't it? Your pinky wants to open with the rest of the fingers and if you open out your ring finger the pinky is halfway out already.

Now hold out your index and middle finger while having your thumb resting on your ring finger and pinky. Natural and easy with the thumb holding back the pinky

there is a diffference in showing numbers and counting numbers. Counting is from thumb to pink.

Showing numbers:
1 = index finger
2 = index + middle
3 = index + middle + ring
4 = index + middle + ring + pink
5 = all fingers

Oh, I understand that, and I understand using different methods for different circumstances like that, but that user literally described the only circumstance he counts with the thumb first is 1-3 when it's more than 2. If it's 4 or 5, he switches halfway through, and if it's 1 or 2 he doesn't use the thumb. That, to me, came across as convoluted, backwards,and whispered into my heart of hearts that I should call him a faggot.

I already had this discussion

The japanese way, starting with the pinky, is the most retarded, one is easy but with two you're kinda blocked, the three is easy but the four is blocked by the thumb.

European and american way are better but none are perfect.

The Europeans start with the thumb, that unlock the index, three is easy, four is kinda hard but not as hard as the japanese two. Five is easy.

American way, 1 2 and 3 are kinda easy but a bit blocked by the thumb (like the japanese fourth), not a big drawback but could be better. The three is as hard as the European fourth, and the five is easy.

Overall, I think European > American > Japanese.

yes

thank you

when i'm counting i start with the thumb but if i have to show to other i'll start with the index. Only the thumb would means "ok".

Of course we do.

It's easier to hold up your index, middle, and ring fingers up than your thumb, index, and middle, because your ring finger shares tendons with your middle.

You have to consider though, user, that when you're using the American three, it's not as hard as the European fourth because the thumb is purposefully locking the pinkie in such a way that relieves some of the stress of the pinkie trying to push up onto the thumb, which when sharing the force, doesn't feel nearly as hard.

Only a true American would know about this technique with counting however, so I'll explain to those who aren't American.

You place the thumb on top of the highest joint in the pinkie when counting the number 3, as though to lock it in place, When switching to 4, gently remove the thumb, with the force naturally used to hold the pinkie in place, the pinkie will nearly automatically go up, not having any kind of drawback to being 'held down' like the friction created by the American 1-3.

True. Depends if you stop on the one though. If you progressively go to two, it's easier to start with the thumb. But would be weird to stop at the thumb yes.

Forgot to mention but someone said it earlier, you could also say that opening the middle finger as third put a but of a pressure on the closed ring finger, but well.

>Hold out your thumb, index and middle finger. It's quite uncomfortable isn't it?

uuhh no, absolutely not...

That's smart, I didn't realize the thumb could do that. It's a bit straining for the thumb to lock the pinkie though?

But I thought the American way was like that
He's not locking the pinkie. But in any case, it sure is possible to do it like you said if the guy is smart (though it's still kinda straining imo).

I do it both ways with both hands just depends what I feel like doing.

I guess it depends on your hand size, but mine works pretty effortlessly, so long as I have my thumb over my fingers as opposed to being under my fingers when I start counting. As soon as I lift the ring finger from under my thumb, my thumb then presses onto the pinkie, feeling a lot less strain than if I just have my index through ring up without the pinkie. Due to the thumb's flexibility,it can take the extra pressure exerted by the pinkie under it without feeling strained at all, making it an overall more comfortable position so long as you get used to the placement.

The reasons it might not be more widely used are A- wider hands might put strain on the thumb that overall makes it not worth it and
B- Occam's razor, essentially- even if it's the lowest energy solution, it may not be the simplest one to come across.

right index = 1
right middle = 2
right ring = 3
right pinky = 4
right thumb = 5
left thumb = 6
left index = 7
left middle = 8
left right = 9
left pinky = 10

and if you're counting on one hand you switch between at 6

perfect system

Yes, at least I do

why do you begin with your left thumb at 6 when you don't with your right thumb at 1 ? did you spend your childhood in a special school or something ?

>thumb
>one
no

This is what feels the most natural to me for whatever reason.

So I exercised a bit and I find it easy when I fold my fingers, but not putting them into a knuckle. (so it doesn't use much strength)

Then I just put my thumb along the width of my hand, on the folded fingers (there's an empty space inside the hand, like if I was holding an invisible dick).

This way I can hold the pinkie in the end without using much strength to reach and hold it. Good, thanks.

Me.

Pinky to thumb is the most efficient way to count.

Did no one see this shitty movie?

youtube.com/watch?v=9-Bqycjw_tw

I disagree, it's harder to keep your pinky curled to the palm while extending the ring finger.

exactly what I had in mind

To differentiate between 1-5 and 6-10, user. This way, you can show the latter with just one hand. So, index-middle-ring means three, but thumb-index-middle means eight. For 10, I just make my hand blink.

>He doesn't start counting with the thumb

What the fuck? Americans really are retarded.

/this

Other guy is an idiot.

Not him, but you'd have to do that either way, but when you leave the thumb for last, you can use it to hold your pinky.

Europeans count by how many refugees flood into their countries.

How do Europeans do a 4 then?

You can close the thumb and use all non-thumbs for 4. It varies it up a bit and makes it less boring.
I think this is the optimal way.
See above, having to use the thumb to hold back your fingers seems retarded to me.

> Europoors

Actually needing to count with your hands is retarded, so the primary use should be to convey a number to someone else. For this reason, using your thumb as a "1" is dumb, because that gesture could have other meanings as well so it could end up confusing whoever you're trying to convey the message to.

It's like using your middle finger as the 1 count. It's an easy gesture to make and it could be taken as 1 since you only have one finger up, but chances are whoever you're showing the gesture to would think it means something else.

> E
>newfags

Who the fuck counts like this?

I do this yeah. Though if I'm only showing instead of counting, I'd use index and middle for the Two

Jesús Christ how disgusting

Completely absurd. It's no wonder Europe needs all those refugees.

It's either Jesús Cristo or Jesus Christ, user. You can't mix and match.

yahuweshi we wuz jesus n sheit.

Start in the middle. Why not from left to right. Or right to left. This shit is retarded as hell.

>thumb first, from one side to another

Try holding up 4 with your pinky down.

>starting with your pinky

What are you fucking gay?

No, you are just to stupid to count to 5.

Not in Spain, at least.
Every German I've met does it.

It's an "americans get triggered people do something a bit different than them" episode.

>the Sup Forums sewer is dispersing here again

i'm not triggered, i'm confused. how does this make more sense than this

Only in Germany.

That's how Inglorious Basterds got themselves caught.

The only way is the true American way.

1= Index
2= Ahegao hands
3= OK emoji
4= All but thumb
5= All

Holding your pinky down is uncomfortable.

not really.

no it is fucking not
you have to move your thumb all the time
cause it lays on top of the othe fingers
wtf
just first extrend your thumb

Americans can't into logical order

Wait 'til you see how American boy scouts salute. Pic related is of course the superior method.

Did I trigger you?

>That's how Inglorious Basterds got themselves caught.
Oooooh, I finally understand that scene now. I had thought that they got caught through the ordering gesture as a whole (e.g. handvwaving instead of making a fist), not the counting part within that gesture.

Normal in Germany, at least. Four is all fingers except the thumb. Not sure about other european countries, though.

Yes when you count. But when you want to show a 2 to someone, you just show them a peace.

Either works

eskimo here
yes

I'm german and I can confirm this.

Who the fuck doesn't do it going

1. Second finger
2. Second + Middle
3. Middle + Ring + Pinky
4. Second + Middle + Ring + Pinky
5. Thumb + Second + Middle + Ring + Pinky

Literally the most natural and least straining way to do it

>3. Middle + Ring + Pinky
I've literally never seen anyone use that for counting/showing numbers. Not just in real life, not even in movies or TV shows.

You faggots will argue about anything

I disagree.

Slav country here. We do this. Most Europeans I met that aren't slav also did this.

>Data from a national survey conducted from 1999 to 2002 found that the overall prevalence of male circumcision in the United States was 79%

the first method is obviously the good one if you're not a mongoloid

I blame USA. They can't accept that EU > Japan > Australia > Russia > Canada > the rest of world > dog shit > hell > USA

This. Everything else hurts my thumb or pinky.

European btw

im not going trough all answers but if you watch a lot of european tv you will see the following:
ONE IS INDEX
TWO IS THUMB
THREE IS MIDDLE
so conan is wrong.
if you would use your thumb as one
everyone would think you are saying OK
if you use index and middle for two everyone thinks you are saying PEACE
thanks for reading.

But I count like this.

>the more you know.jpg

>tfw now counting on my fingers feels so fucking weird knowing people do it differently
I've always mixed
thumb - index - middle - ring - pinkie
and
index - middle - ring - pinkie - thumb

>european tv
Well we have an expert here in this thread guys.

But seriously one is thumb, two index, three middlefinger. Since most people aren't autistic like you, they can understand context.

Also the direction of the thumb is important for signifying OK, so when you count it never really shows 'up'. For me it's diagonally up to the side.

Yes, the four is a bit of a problem, because the ringfinger is connected to the pinky AND middle (I believe), but you'd have similiar problems when you count any other way.