Medic in training ama

Medic in training ama

How are you today?

We've got a two words of a "Cop." Police Officer being the other. We've got "Fireman" or "Firefighter" depending on who is in control that week.

Why do we call you people EEE-EM-TEES? Why don't you get a word?

who farted?

We get 4 big words, people are just lazy and abbreviate everything

One or two, please.

"Basic" or "medic" then for ya buddy

Good as can be at 4am, you?

Hungover...

>41 30 30 35 32 39 38 37 36 0a
Should have obscured your barcode buddy.

Eh. It only got me in the local hospital, and that card is deactivated. I just have it to have it, they haven't given us our new badges yet

You know we can read your barcode right? You will be reported to student affaires for posting on a neonazi hate site tomarrow morning.
Btw I do this to be an agent of chaos, I actully like trump, but not as much as chaos
Better luck next life.

Bummer to hear man. You running from somethin, or too much fun? How much ya have?

Have any of your patients given you a hardon?

Quite the opposite I've been celebrating. Also checked.

Only like three. I live in hickfuck indiana, so many people got meth mouth it ain't funny

What have you been celebrating tonight? The end of a good weekend?

lol

I'm not even joking when I say it smells like some people haven't bathed in weeks. It's rough but about every week for a few months I had to go to a hoarders house. When you entered, there was 5 feet of newspapers running from the 1950s to 1970s, and about 8 cats running around. One of the few downsides of the job

EMT basic.

Claiming to be a "medic"

Go take a blood pressure at the old folks home.

You arnt paid minimum wage to post on Sup Forums.

OP explain to me how amiodarone works and what class it's in.

I said medic in training dumbass. I'm in the classes for it right now

I bet you intubate with a Mac blade. Fag.

Amio is a class 3 antiarrythmitic, mainly used to slow down repolarizations. Also causes vasodilation, can be used in chf patients

Miller blades only fag

Why would you use it in an acute exasberation of CHF?

Why medicine is the profession with the highest suicide rates?

What are the racial demographics of the area you'll be working in?

It's shitty. You literally attempt to put humpty dumpty back together again but he proceeds to go right back up on the wall.

Are you a fan of Dr.Narcan?

Most of the med students or doctors I have met are psychos, or just weird. Would you agree? If so why?

Have you ever mainlined DMT into ur balls?

For a couple days now, when I wake up i have to cough really bad to the point I cant inhale anymore. When i can after some time it makes a high noise.

OP, this is cool and all. It's neat that you are excited and passionate about what you are doing. Some words of advice from someone who has been doing this a long long long time.

>no one cares, it's just a job.
>remember it can be one of the best jobs but it's still just a job.
>social media is your worst enemy and it will fuck you over, that includes Sup Forums.
>literally 99.9% of your job is mundane bullshit and making fibs on Sup Forums won't get you anywhere in life.

Also prepare for the suck, shitty schedules and crappy life. I'm literally being called in as I write this.

Honestly can't remember at the moment, as it's 5 am and amio is a medicine I've found hard to understand

Majority white, maybe 85% caucasian

why would you pick such an unenjoyable profession just for money?

That isn't bad.

>I wanna help people and be paid nickles

Shoulda got your BSN, you coulda been a rich chad slaying hot slizz with daddy issues on 12 hour shifts.

Well, thanks for the advice man, good luck on your shift. I ain't got a reason to bullshit stories for the (you)s, it's all honest here. I don't use social media's so that isn't gonna duck me over hippa style. And yeah, it can be boring as fuck some white cloud days, but it's work all the same and it's just a job

Eh, already got a woman going for her BSN, and I'm not a huge fan of the long term care, you tend to get shitty people with shitty families a lot more in hospitals nowadays

But I truly love the work user

Not at all. Think there's a couple gangs tho, they make my job hard

you're insane, stupid, or just haven't been doing it long enough to learn how truly badly people suck.

A 32-year-old construction worker arrives in the emergency department after an accident on the job. The tendon of the biceps brachii at the elbow has been severed by a laceration that extends 2 cm medially from the tendon. Which of the following structures is likely to have been injured by medial extension of the laceration?

(A) Brachial artery
(B) Musculocutaneous nerve
(C) Profunda brachii artery
(D) Radial nerve
(E) Ulnar nerve

Eh, I might be insane, but I've done a good amount of runs that told me 100% that this is what I wanna do

You shouldn't do LTC as a BSN. Even entry at a Hosp in something dumb like Medsurg, you'll make more money and do less work than a DON.

It depends. The most broad answer is nitro and iv/im push diuretic like furosemide.

It's the brachial artery

Lol.

Depends where you work.

I pull more than the RNs in our system. Going into work right now for a few hours on OT. We are salaried but with OT I'm pulling $130,000 this year.

All the hospitals around here are LTC, large amounts of elderly, so they tend to stay in the hospital for a month or two before discharge

Should add, I am sure RNs could hit that number easily as well but that was also including 3 individual months off completely for vacation. I try to do an Asia, North America and Europe or Africa trip once a year for 30 days at a time.

I have yet to see an RN job that salaried is over 6 figures that allows for that kind of time off.

Only if we travel.

I'm in RN school now after being an EMT-B a while.

Medic always seemed like a dead end to me. I mean in another year I'll have the RN, which lets me sit for the paramedic exam anyway. That I don't care so much about anymore considering that you make almost 50% more as an RN.

One day maybe end up a comfy mid-level job as an NP, six figures, and a DNP and the "Dr." title. Only thing that ever happened to medics was they either ended up management or in the upper ranks of their union.

Oh yeah, also young nursing students are dtf which is a plus when there are like 3 other men in the cohort.

I don't know if the national allows you to do that anymore.

Also you are assuming the state allows that which any state worth working in wont. Same with states that don't accept PM to RN bridges.

They are both excellent career fields that share alot of common core skill sets and knowledge but are completely different in implementation.

Also regional specific. I work for a fire based EMS system that does "all hazard" we run the ambulance the rescues the engines the ladders the hazmat the tech rescue. As a medic if I'm getting burnt out I can request time on the engine for a few months. In my system since I was hired as a medic I can never let it drop or take a non medical position, but they let you move around temporarily for mental health reasons and fun.

That honestly sounds pretty cool, being able to move around to prevent burn out. I was thinking of getting my fire with my medic, is it worth?

The only nursing student I care of that's dtf is my girl in medsurg2

Getting your fire?

Your referring to IFSTA ff1/2?

Depends. Most west coast departments would rather see you have medic experience and they will worry about fire as they send you to academy anyways where you get all that while employed.

Wouldn't hurt getting experience but most career departments want to train you their way.

Once again though depends where you are and who you apply with.

General rule of thumb, east coast fight real structure fires. Those old cities burn. West coast is heavy on EMS and we get paid better. In the PNW I can't think of one fire department that doesn't make EMTB a minimum just to apply (exception being large departments like Seattle or Portland that still take you off the street but make EMT school part of academy)

Ahh, okay. I'm more Midwest than on a coast, and we don't have too much structural fire happening here. It might be something I just gotta think long and hard about doing, and I don't plan on moving far far away for work

Also having worked in a few states I can comfortably say in my opinion the best place to do EMS is the PNW. It's "stay and play" type EMS. RSI/paralytics, surgical airways, central lines, conscious sedation, blood product, antibiotics. Whatever needs to be done we get done. It's not a "choice" nor is it playing cowboy. When you are 2 hours from the nearest road, 4 hours from the nearest trauma center on snowmobiles and an ATV tracked transport unit, you have to have a wide scope and a system that supports you going into some gray area.

Don't go to california. That whole state is fucked even though the money looks good. You are literally a band aid putter onner thanks to an archaic state based protocol system and the nursing unions.

Well, it's late as hell and today's my day off, glad I got to talk on Sup Forums. Yall have a good night and day, I'll see you on the streets

I wouldn't ever accept a job in cali. PNW sounds pretty good, but IN is so far away I doubt I could do that, I like the stay and play stuff. Thankfully here we can get some of that shit started and if ts bumfuck nowhere call a chopper and get em to like indy or StL, whatever need be