Was it really necessary?

Was it really necessary to nuke Japan twice? Or even nuke them at all?

Yes.
They didn't surrender after the first nuke.

Yes, it was.

The real question is, should they have been nuked a third time?

My teacher said that they are planning to surrender already and US didnt gave them a chance

So why not surrender after the first nuke?

lolnope. the japs were digging in.

there would have been another at least 2 million US casualties and 5 million civillian jap casualties.

Maybe if they've been given a chance

We should have allied with them before pearl harbor even happened to wipe out the chinks.

>Maybe if they had a chance
>Nuked
>Still didn't surrender
>Had a chance...

Look, what I meant is they're discussing about surrendering when faggot US nuked them again

MUrder is never necessary, user.

it was nuke japan or wait for the soviets to invade, the country was already fucked from months of firebombing.

Surrender wasn't exactly an instantaneous process back then

It wasn't the stone age, there was radio, telephone, and telegraph.

Since the US arrested the Jap officials sent to discuss terms of surrender, just so they could proceed to wave their nuclear dick in everyones face, shows that it wasn't necessary for the war effort against japan. But it was necessary to show the commies better not to take too much europe, if they didn't want to have grilled gulags.

They only gave them three days before nuking them again, sure they had that stuff but it still takes a bit of time to prepare everything and then send the message

Yea, whatever it would've taken to wipe them out. Then we could turn the island into a resort / tourist trap after we stripped bare all of it's natural resources. We could've named it Cherry Blossom island and had a huge statue of Oppenheimer stomping on a crowd of Japanese people. It would've been amazing!

They did surrendered. To the Soviets.

It was reasonable.

If this was true it still wouldn't change anything.

There might have been a way to get them to surrender with out invading them and with out nuking them twice. We do not have time machines to try infinite strategies.

Whats important is that it was justified to nuke them twice. Ultimately the show of power provided by the nukes did lead to a surrender, but there was no guarantee that would happen. Pragmatically having two cities less insane civilians ready to suicide charge you is still fewer of your own people that are going to die if an invasion becomes necessary.

It was a sound strategic decision.

It wasn't about Japan. It's was a statement to the world.
Nuclear detente arguably gave us the longest period of peace and prosperity in human history.

Unfortunately you can't nuke an enemy that exists within your own population, so now we have to do make a "global statement" the old fashioned way with tooth and claw.

>(((Oppenheimer)))

>insane civilians ready to suicide charge you
that WWII propaganda worked wonders

Yes. Your country fire bombed 67 of their cities to ash and they refused to surrender so the nukes were used. Also to tell the Soviet Union they shouldn't think about trying to expand into the rest of Europe

Your teacher is a fucking idiot

Should of nuked USSR and China and then said to the Nips. You want to be next cunt?

my teacher said that you are a faggot, it must be true

Or you know, just just nuke Japan instead of 2 countries.

Think THEN type

But Japan wasn't commie bullshit

Japan hated USSR and China. You nuke them to show you don't hate Japan then you say we can make a deal. Instead of nuking them then paying to rebuild

://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Downfall#Estimated_casualties

A study done forSecretary of WarHenry Stimson's staff byWilliam Shockleyestimated that conquering Japan would cost 1.7–4 million American casualties, including 400,000–800,000 fatalities, and five to ten million Japanese fatalities

Yes it was necessary.

Yes but not an unconditional surrender.

The Japanese wanted to walk away without punishment for the shit they did.

>nuking your allies
wise

Except Russia was planning to invade way before the US

yeah USSR and China have been very friendly to the USA since WWII it was such a wise choice

This is what my teacher said

>Japan was already looking for terms of surrender before the bombs were dropped when the Soviets entered Manchuria.

>They knew they couldn't resist the red army and want to surrender to Americans because they were sure they would allow them to keep the Emperor while the Soviets would have had him executed.

>In fact, during the meeting, when Japan was discussing their possible terms the subject of the American atomic bombs wasn't even mentioned.

>The loss of Hiroshima and Nagasaki were just 2 other cities to be attacked in a long war, 2 bombs or 20,000 doesn't make a huge difference on their actual result as far as the Japanese were concerned.

>Truman actually knew this but decided to drop the bombs anyway because America was at its height of racial tension and many people at the time wouldn't recognize the Japanese as human.

Conditional surrender. They knew they couldn't win, but they wanted to keep their empire, their government, and military. An invasion of Japan would have been exponentially more costly than D-Day, and they were using that as a bargaining chip. After the nukes, they were willing to agree to an unconditional surrender, with only one condition, immunity for the Emperor. US fucked up and told them no, and Japan decided they'd rather just keep getting nuked than give up their Emperor. Immediately afterwards the fucking Soviets declared war on Japan. This really fucked both sides, Japan was going to lose their largely intact army and their mainland empire, and the threat of an invasion was a lot easier with the Soviets involved. The US wanted to accept the surrender as fast as possible because they didn't want to give up half of Japan to the commies like they did Germany. As it stood, it really fucked up Asia. China is still communist, and Korea is still divided. The surrender didn't stop the Soviets, they kept taking land for weeks afterwards.

Not agreeing to a mostly unconditional surrender really fucked the US and Asia, because commies ruin everything.

Yes, actually.
The nukes weren't to end the war by force. They gave Japan a way out without destroying the japanese spirit or having genocide happen. It killed very few comparatively, but it was a terrifying weapon of destruction of a scale nothing was even close to. There was no shame in bowing to such might.

Had the nukes not been used, Japan would've been split like Germany was and would've been a shell of it's former self instead for decades instead of the rapid recovery they had after the war.

To put it simply Truman was a dick who just wanted to show the red bastards that we could do it without a guilty conscious

USA nuked them because they wanted to show off their new weapon. It was a big fuck you to USSR that they had nukes. They just used Nippon as a scapegoat because they could claim it was better then sending waves after waves of American men to their deaths and that the Nipponese would fight to the death in that situation

Fuck Japan, they shouldve nuked them 20x. I wish anime never existed, disgusting

>demand independence from britbongs because you hate their imperialism
>become imperialist and violent
good job you retarded cunts

who cares if it was necessary, it was awesome.

sounds about right
you have a rare red-=pilled history teacher
mine for example is an antifa sympathiser

That's complete bullshit I studied the war in my final year of high school. Japan had a long history of never surrendering and thats why they didn't want to after the first bomb.

Lern2History
Britain never colonized Japan, it was one of the few places on the planet that established equal and amicable relations without colonization.

Nevermind, I need to lern2reed.
You meant us Amerifats.

yes

I have difficulty understanding how long we are talking about this past event.
The two residents of Hiroshima and Nagasaki who were dropped the atomic bomb were miserable and hell, but their death was not wasted.

The evidence shows that nuclear deterrent force functions all over the world,
Since then nuclear war has not occurred.

Japan was also protected from China and the Soviet Union with the nuclear umbrella of the United States and it was able to develop greatly in peace.
I think the argument like who was wrong is meaningless now.