What caused opinions on this series to sour so much over the years?

What caused opinions on this series to sour so much over the years?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=VIiX4TL2_vg
desuarchive.org/a/thread/146189377/#146189377
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

The series is far from perfect, but it's mainly due to popularity, as much as people want to deny it.

My hypothesis is that the characters were emulated over and over again in anime and manga to the point where the better versions overshadowed the characters and the poor imitations made people hate the archetypes.

haha what's a better shindig?

I have an unbiased opinion. I've been watching anime a lot because I just finished school. I decided to just watch older shows that I assumed were "classics"

watched the entire series for the first time 8 days ago. I honestly hated it.

It probably soured over the years because all the kids that thought it was deep and cool grew up and realized it was just nonsense.

My friend said he was a huge fan of evangelion when he was like 10 because he liked the fights. hes 21 now and hasn't even bother to give it a rewatch because he knows that it's just stupid.

Always figured it was people realizing how melodramatic and pretentious it was once they grew up and read their first book.

Waifufags.

Shinji unfortunately doesn't have anyone better than him that come to mind but there are plenty of crying beta male MCs that make people hate them. At least Shinji had justifiable reasons for being a little bitch.

It has everything to do with what kind of anime is being made in recent years and what kind of fans it attracts.

People who got into anime for SAOs and AOTs like want empowerment fantasies and pandering not well written fiction with thematic depth and artistic merit.

the people on Sup Forums that hate on it only do so because this show proves that the medium is in decadence as it has been unable to put out any anime that overshadows it or is more relevant when talking about the capabilities of the medium.
and this in turn makes all of their hivemind opinions on the medium false ("hurr there are as many as good anime being produced today as there were in 98, the medium isn't dying, my fan service ridden derivative shit is as good as lain").

>well written fiction with thematic depth and artistic merit.

I seriously you hope you don't think Evangelion qualifies for any of these categories.

by those standards, does any anime have those qualifications?

Not him but I wouldn't answer with a serious response. It would be picked apart like a pack of wolves on an elk.

evangelion was pretty rushed by the end and had lose ends and hard to follow and unconventional storyline. it's was too much for some people

You're mistaken about me. I stopped watching AoT specifically because of that. I enjoyed it up until he became a titan, and then i realized where it was going from there. sao is just retarded.

Evangelion is "artistic" if you mean abstract.
It leaves a lot to the imagination but It's all fake. fake depth. fancy visuals and crazy weird stuff happening on screen. it doesn't connect to anything it's just a lot of fluff

they always say that kind of thing and then don't answer these sort of questions.
they don't have standards, they jus hate anything meaningful because they are insecure manchildren that can't stand the fact that there are people out there that are more sensitive and sophisticated than them. that's why they love Gurren Lagann and kill la kill.

yeah and you surely are going to tell me that Madonna is deeper right? just because it is simpler and everything is spoofed to the viewer.
or if not what anime do you consider to be deep or deeper than eva?

RahXephon was better.

wow dude, Kill la Kill is fucking awesome.

Everything you said about NGE is just plain false. Read a few interpretations/analysis since the show flew over your head completely.

I'll say this again, give me an example of what constitutes real depth if Eva doesn't.

You sound like a huge fan of modern """"""art"""""

desu senpai if someone says they dislike eva then they're just stupid and should go back to watching natruto, aots, sao and other shows that their tiny brain can handle

Panty and stocking with garterbelt

It's mostly Anno's angst given a show. It achieves the equivalent of an anime committing suicide. It was a fucking tragedy and trainwreck reduced to cheap thrills and trolling. Some called it a masterpiece. I did and now I look back and realize how pretentious its pretention made me. Anno needed professional intervention during Evangelion's production. It would have helped the overall result rather than shooting it in the guts and watching it die slowly.

I don't watch shows for "depth" I watch them to be entertained and possibly to think about something in a different light.

If your show is just a clusterfuck with no actual meaning. then it's not fucking entertaining.

Start low. Samurai Champloo. pretty easy show to understand and pick up. got plenty of ideas and action. easily twice as engaging as evangelion.
Death note is deeper than evangelion fucks sake

When a Faggot is Allowed to Use a Computer: The Post.

and you sound like a red neck. I'd rather enjoy postmodern(this is what you meant) art.

you two should watch more film. you can't really compare eva with shows that simple and unambitious.
it's like comparing Lars von trier with Christian bale.

Relax dude.

not Christian bale, I meant Christopher Nolan.

Rebuild

The more Evangelion threads I browse the more I realize how trash the series actually was.

I don't think you get it lol.

Do you pontificate over the meaning of a white canvas or blue square that's been put up in an art gallery after reading the little plaque next to it telling you what to think?

death note isn't fucking deeper than Evangelion.
and while I enjoyed samurai champloo it's pretty obvious it's a pretty much more unambitious, conservative, low risk show when compared with eva.
even then I found eva to be way more engaging in part because of that. you were always surprised with what innovative ideas anno came up with.

Eva makes perfect sense and it's not Eva's fault you don't get it.

And depth has nothing to do with how many ideas a work has.

>not a new IP
Kill yourself retarded shitposter.

have you ever been to a fucking museum?

a 14 year old crying for 20 episodes sure is innovative

Yep. I fail to see how that answers my question. Ad hominem incoming?

>Eva makes perfect sense

I personally love it but I don't think it's "good" if that makes any sense....

The opinion of the series hasn't soured imo, I think it's more that it's ridiculously popular, infamous even, and there are ALWAYS multiple threads for it on Sup Forums at any given time. So I think people are just sick of it. Because it's not SO great that it needs to be constantly relevant or discussed.

Just my two cents though. People are worn out on Eva and people who legit disliked it or came to dislike it as their tastes evolved obviously exist.

People say it's a classic, but that's not true, it's just probably one of the most, (if not THE most,) controversial anime series ever. And not because of it's content, because of the fanbase and the constant relevancy.

>Eva makes perfect sense and it's not Eva's fault you don't get it.

Eva does not appeal to someone looking exclusively for some fun entertainment. The entire story makes no sense at face value, and is only good if you can analyse the themes and think about it. I blame it on the taste of the newer viewers.

Now, anyone complaining about artistic merit in Eva is a complete retard. It has some of the best directed sequences ever made. The entire cinematography is really good, even the OST is good.

what I meant is that you don't know anything about what you are trying to talk about.

High expectations. Eva is an anime that is hyped to death and it's entry level as hell. So the people getting into anime are going to be mind blown by it or extremely underwhelmed because they set their expectations too high.

Yep, ad hominem. Putting yourself somehow above me in your own mind doesn't make you better just delusional. How old are you?

We're at the point now where that's not even possible because by the time people get to Eva they've already seen 1000 deviations. Just look at the threads, the main complaint from newfags are usually about shinji, rei, and asuka.

If you saw Eva early enough in your career then you most likely share a lot of the general opinions on it. Personally I think it's the one series that is required viewing before digging deep into anime beyond the toonami tier shows.

what is not entry level and better than eva? I'm curious.
here is a hint: postmodern art is not anything like what you described.

It aged badly. For its time is was definitely unique, and at best a groundbreaking anime in terms of deconstruciting a genre and breathing life to an stagnating industry, creatively speaking that is. But because it aged so badly, those that watched it during its initial run, or around that time, will tell you how amazing it is, but then you watch it and it's dissapointing, and since the fanbase is so vocal, it's only natural to hate it in response.
This happens all the time, with movies, videogames, and specially music.

Something something pretentious

How did it age badly?

To be fair, as someone who liked Eva, Gurren Lagann might seem boorish, but it's also pretty good. People shit on me for liking one or the other, but I look at it as enjoying Doritos and enjoying gourmet cakes.

(I'll let you headcanon which is which.)

They both have merit in their own ways.

samefag

The whole psychological thing has been done much better by later anime, and all of its elements of deconstruction became part of the genre itself. If you started watching anime recently, Eva's characters will come off as overused and cliche.

>just nonsense
It's pretty straightforward, I can see coming out of it without thinking it's particularly deep, but it's in no way nonsense

It wastes a lot of time, there's a reason 90% of great anime before the 00's are OVAs, they don't waste half the show with episodic bullshit.

A work can't age based on what another work does. It has o be viewed on it's own merit.

haha so much butthurt over the fact that eva is the most relevant anime in 2016.
what anime has done shinji? Sao? hahaha.
basically you're spouting the "shinji is a pussy" meme. but that's not really what shinji was. shinji was human and that's what makes him more interesting and nuanced than your alleged shinji clones.

What's with all the /lit/ rejects?

I think a lot of the VERY recent hate has to do with Re:Zero's popularity, and the fact that there are some undeniable similarities between the two (Especially Shinji and Subaru). Sup Forums always has a contrarian backlash to any that gets popular on Reddit/MAL, and in an attempt to discredit Re:Zero, Eva is getting friendly fired just to lessen the arguments for Re:Zero.

It'll pass after there's been some time since Re:Zero stops airing.

Eva is just as heavy-handed with its themes and ideas as TTGL and KLK are, it's just that the latter shows express it through action and yelling while Eva expresses it through characters shitting on themselves and screaming.
They're both great but at least in that regard they're pretty similar, there's no reason to think Eva is somehow more sophisticated

I am going to say newfags who treat anime like one more thing to add to their nerdy fandoms and want to follow it just enough to appease their fad. Newfags nowadays were introduced to highly action oriented shows like SAO and AoT which are fun and over somewhat over the top and stylized and see that as their ideal anime. Eva is a deconstruction of a genre that offers nothing like the anime mentioned, Eva shows the worst of everything: negative emotions, socialization, family, technology, adolescents, responsibility, etc and has deep contemplating messages. Newfags dont want a good story or thought provoking messages, they want more of what got them into anime which is not inherently bad but, to this day their tastes still have not changed to open the door form more anime and just waste until they hear about another anime like SAO, AOT, or OPman.

The first 4 episodes with Shinji running away and everything were pretty hard to digest. And Its not an anime anyone can watch and enjoy like most entry level anime.
For some reason, character focused anime aren't as popular as pure action anime (TTGL) and plot driven anime (FMA)

Let's find out. Nietzsche was the best philosopher I have ever read.

Is 4th movie even coming?

>pure action anime (TTGL)

>"eva is the most relevant anime in 2016"
>this is what idiots actually believe

can someone tell me what the differences between the anime's and the manga's story is

yeah, not really. eva is a lot more subtle.
I can understand you having a negative bias against it. you're from Sup Forums after all.
still the subtle and polisemic nature of eva does really set it apart.

>People say it's a classic, but that's not true
Shaping the anime landscape for the years to come and maintaining huge popularity even 20 years after it aired are good reasons to call it a classic

Well it is. The plot is as simple as it gets, and barely any character development. The rest of it is just action.

youtube.com/watch?v=VIiX4TL2_vg

there's nothing more to ttgl beyond "I want to be the next hikage"
Sup Forums will always deny this. I said so in my post.
anyone who follows discussions on this medium nows that this is the case though.

I watched it one year ago and it's my favorite anime.

>you're from Sup Forums after all.
>Sup Forums dislikes NGE meme

desuarchive.org/a/thread/146189377/#146189377

Sup Forums is constantly being occupied by more and more underage airingfags and people from reddit. which basically means Sup Forums's taste is just constantly getting shittier.

>Eva heavy handed with themes and Ideas as TTGL and KLK

What?

I think EVA blows those two out of the water with themes and ideas. Eva always made me slow down and reflect on things in my life and decisions. It made me finally to confront things that I would rather avoid. I do think those 2 you mentioned are really good shows and well balanced and do offer some messages but not as much as Eva. What I think those anime excel at is being the perfect archetype of the hero's journey like you see in Greek and medieval epics.

Rebuild.

haha that video is so cringe worthy and vapid. it says absolutely nothing that isn't already obvious through a first watch. you can say as much about naruto too, that doesn't make naruto deep.

>linking youtubers
At least write your own argument, faggot.

>lol look at how deep evangelion is
>oh you just don't get it

being a hipster never goes out of style

that has nothing to do with the show itself

Both are subtle in certain ways, but if screaming about how much you hate yourself and want to die while images of you looking fucked up isn't heavy-handed, then what the fuck is? And I don't think being heavy-handed is a bad thing, it's why Gainax was so fucking good
>barely any character development
What the fuck, please explain to me how Simon at the beginning, who is essentially Shinji, and Simon at the end are even remotely similar
Also the plot of Eva is simple as well, Gainax shows aren't exactly known for having complex plots
Great video
The one you think is better is irrelevant, but they're both heavy-handed and in-your-face. That isn't a bad thing, but it's just fucking true. Everyone straight up yells at you what's wrong with them, it isn't left up to the imagination
What makes something deep beyond that? Better yet, what makes something deep that Eva does and TTGL does not?

>basically you're spouting the "shinji is a pussy" meme.
I never said that.

You gotta good point, but I feel like people labelling it a classic is what the backlash largely stems from. "If I don't think it's a classic then there's something wrong with me, I KNOW! I'll make a shitty thread on Sup Forums about how my taste is better and make myself feel better."

(I agree with you though.)

Probably not, but it does have a negative effect on the show itself. Kinda like how tumblr ruins everything it touches.

There's a good bit of traditional cinematography and skill put into Eva besides all the freudian stuff and hamfisted puberty allegories. Its just a well put together piece of art, you can call it boring but calling it bad would indicate your retardation.

If that's the case then shouldn't Sup Forums's opinion on Evangelion be increasing?

>What the fuck, please explain to me how Simon at the beginning, who is essentially Shinji, and Simon at the end are even remotely similar
Simon doesn't have his own identity, no personality, and the show itself points this out. Simon is a classic hero character. When you hear about old tales of heroes, they never describe their personality or quirks, what kind of people they go great with and what kind of people they are not good with, nor interests and dreams; they talk about their achievements.

That was what TTGL was doing. Simon shrugs off personality flaws as the show goes on. He's an over-the-top, glorified version of the hero's journey. The themes of evolution go along with Simon's character. By the end of the show, Simon is a literal god, both in body and mind.

Therefore, Simon's "character development" isn't "character personality development", its "character power-level development".

I honestly don't see any point on discussing with anyone that might think eva is not a lot more complex, polisemic and subtle than fucking ttgl. or that says Eva's plot is simple. I'm sorry. you're just a contrarian teenager and you are denying the obvious.

this is what dumb people have always said about any piece of art that flies over their heads.

Pretentious bullshit

Eva explores it's themes far better than TTGL. In other words, Eva make a lot stronger argument for what it's trying to convey. That is what constitutes depth. I'm the video poster by the way.

>Pretentious
Not even that user, but it really isn't.
Is reading something more than a couple sentences long too hard for you?

this is a pretty good point.

Get a load of this superiority complex.

Yes, if you ignore the fact that he grows from being a shadow of Kamina to being his own man, taking elements from Kamina, Rossiu, and everyone else to become a well-balanced man by the end. A lot more changes with him than just his power level, jesus christ
>or that says Eva's plot is simple
Do you know what plot means? Eva's plot is simple, THE IDEAS IT TACKLES may be complex, but its plot is as straightforward as one can be
I think you agree with me, but fuck you anyway. "Pretentious" is a word that does nothing but shut down discussion. Eat a dick
I'm not trying to say Eva isn't deep or that it isn't great, I love pretty much every relevant Gainax show, but it IS heavy-handed in its themes and the plot itself is fairly simple.
I personally do think TTGL is better at presenting its themes and also being interesting instead of having a middle section that's just typical mecha fare, with the beginning and ending outshining that section entirely, but that's not even the argument I'm trying to make

I have never seen an argument on this board that managed to prove to me in anyway that someone could see Evangelion as bad

The show makes perfect fucking sense and if you don't get it, it's not the show's damn fault, you either didn't pay attention or you're just that god damn stupid.

Everyone who dislikes the shows are the idiots who watch garbage just because it has a bunch of stuff happening at that second, action with people screaming, crazy premises, even if it means nothing because that show didn't write itself well enough for it stand up if you actually use your god damn brain.

Fuck off you contrarians with your "eva is prententious/2deep4u" bullcrap. Try to think before you spout a bunch of dumb buzzwords

if you let a fanbase influence your entire opinion of a show, then it only means you're an idiot

Eva's plot is not simple. the objectives of every party are not straightforward, there are a lot of twists, the resolution is very ambiguous and all in all requires a lot of attention to follow.
you denying that goes to prove how gigantic your biases against it are.

It is pretentious, and patently so. Simon has his own struggles to deal with, his own way of being and handling things, and clearly, he does have a personality.